Undie drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 blondeboys

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

I am organising a flood drive.

I thought items like underwear, singlets, toothbrushes, insect repellent are needed NOW, and with shops not open, roads closed, it will be much harder to get these items.

all the info is here

www.lplategreenie.blogspot.com

I really hope you can help

#2 Tealdash

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hiya!

This may be a dumb question, but how will you get the donations to them? Sorry..just a genuine question, not too sure about the truck/road/plane situation at the mo.. unsure.gif   I would love to help out and will head to Kmart tomorrow!!

Nic

#3 blondeboys

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

No, good question. I want to be open about this process.

I have an address, But I will also give them a call before I post them all off

#4 samagard

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Great idea.
I saw people on facebook scoffing at giving these type of basics and suggesting money would be better. Not everyone has a decent amount of money to spare. A small donation of money plus a larger one of goods is better than nothing.

#5 Tealdash

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Cool, thanks Clarinda original.gif

#6 blondeboys

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

With the vic bushfires, alot of 2nd hand donations were turned away.

I know these basics are needed now. clean undies and teeth brushed will make a small difference to these people affected. They are returning to homes ruined or completely gone, family members missing or dead.

#7 ~Icebreak~

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Love your work lovey!

I was in Ipswich today assisting my FIL clean up his place, it was devastating. They did ok, only 1 m through the bottom of their house next door and 2 doors down were lowset houses and the entire contents was out on the footpath to be thrown out. So sad.

On the up side spirits were hi we all had a joke and got the job done original.gif

#8 Anti-Socialite

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have quite a few new packets of underwear and socks that I could send up. Do you think they might be needing ladies sanitary products as well? (sorry bit of a stupid question) I was planning to go down to the shops tomorrow to put together some care packages.

#9 TotesFeral

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (somebody_new @ 13/01/2011, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great idea.
I saw people on facebook scoffing at giving these type of basics and suggesting money would be better. Not everyone has a decent amount of money to spare. A small donation of money plus a larger one of goods is better than nothing.

Yeah I saw this as well. I thought it was a bit rude, I think the people going through this would just be grateful to get anything that is going to help them out.

#10 Tealdash

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Yeah I saw this as well. I thought it was a bit rude, I think the people going through this would just be grateful to get anything that is going to help them out.

I agree...I know that I would be grateful for even a tissue to blow my nose...

#11 casime

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Whilst I'm sure that most people have the right intentions at heart, it is actually a real pain for charities to be receiving donations of goods at this time.   For one thing, there is the logistics of actually storing the items, and then arranging their distribution.  Their volunteers also have to go through the items and determine what is suitable to pass on and what is not (and unfortunately a lot of people see this as an opportunity to get rid of what they don't want anymore).   Unfortunately it often means that the charities are left with a large amount of goods that they then have to arrange to be disposed of as they are unsuitable for donation.  

If you are going to donate items, please make sure that you are working with an organisation that is prepared to accept and distribute these items.   Volunteering QLD seems to be the central point for all contact at the moment, and it's worth speaking with them to ensure that any items that are being donated are actually able to be distributed to those that are in need of it.  

I received the following email from the RNA today:

Dear RNA Competitors, Judges and Stewards,

On behalf of the RNA, I advise that a special evacuation centre has been set-up at the RNA Showgrounds in the Exhibition, Commerce and Auditorium Buildings for residents affected by the worsening flood crisis.

The centre is being managed by the Red Cross and so far more than 750 people have arrived at the centre which has been visited by both the Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott who spent more than an hour speaking to those affected and offering assistance.

Please be aware the centre is being managed and co-ordinated by the Red Cross. They are advising that anyone interested in volunteering, offering accommodation for residents or pets, or donating goods to please register with Volunteering Queensland at www.volunteeringqld.org.au or visit the Red Cross website for more information at www.redcross.org.au

With more than 75 per cent of Queensland affected by the worst flooding disaster in more than 100 years, the thoughts and prayers of the RNA is with all affected by the flood crisis and we offer our sincere and heartfelt sympathy to the families who have lost loved ones in this devastating tragedy.

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Tunny | Chief Executive
The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland | ABN 41 417 513 726
RNA Showgrounds 600 Gregory Terrace Bowen Hills, Brisbane Queensland Australia
Locked Bag 1010 | Albion Queensland Australia 4010
AUS D +61 7 3253 3901 | T +61 7 3253 3900 | Mobile +61 417 731 375
jtunny@rna.org.au

www.rnashowgrounds.com.au | www.rna.org.au | www.ekka.com.au | www.royalqueenslandshow.com.au

Ekka 11 - 20 August 2011

#12 blondeboys

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

I am working with Shona from Funky Fabrix. She is helping out at the evacuation centres and is making sure the items go to where they are needed and wanted.

While I understand what you are saying- I am not asking for second hand foot spas and ceramic clowns. I am after new items which are needed right now.

I think, these people have been plucked from the roofs of their homes with only the clothes on their backs,  are now in a school hall, with putrid water everywhere, some are unsure how damaged their homes are. They are probably not sleeping well due to stress, greif and uncertainty. Brushing their teeth and putting on some clean underwear is a small releif.

#13 ~NFItoday~

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

I know there has been discussion about sending up second hands items and how evacuation centres are no longer accepting donations. I am pleased to say I am now working with Shona from Funky Fabrix, she is personally volunteering her time at evacuations centres. Shona is helping with places/adressess which are taking donated items. So rest assured your items are going to where they are both needed and wanted.

This is from Clarinda's blog.

I will be posting some things to you tomorrow hun. Rose has a good point as well. Sanitary napkins i will also throw in.

#14 samagard

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

casime
I have no doubt it would be difficult for charities to collect items, but the stores are closed or flooded. How are people meant to buy things with monetary donations? (Not attacking you, just wondering how they think the donations or $1000 centrelink payments will help right this moment).

I also suspect people are very wary of donating to some charities. I am only willing to donate to the official QLD government one. I am hoping the donation won't be eaten up by "admin fees". At times like this, the best and worst of people come out ie facebook and ebay pages for donations that are really lining the pockets of some piece of scum. I believe they had the same problem during the bush fires as well.

Edited by somebody_new, 14 January 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#15 casime

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Somebody new, I do think it's great that people are so willing to donate items.  What I said was that people need to make sure that the donations they are giving are going to be accepted and are able to be distributed.   The last thing that is needed right now is warehouses full of donated items that can't be sorted and distributed.  

If you are going to donate items, please make sure that you are working with an organisation that is prepared to accept and distribute these items.

I think the undie packs are a great idea, and since there is obviously someone able to take and distribute them where they are needed, I will also be donating some packs (if I can get through to the shops, as there is some talk around here that the road to town is underwater).

#16 5ratbags

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Making a dash to aldis this morning so will look around and see what I can grab and post off to the address on the blog wink.gif

Suzanne

#17 samagard

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Didn't take long sad.gif
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/...0113-19pqs.html

#18 blondeboys

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

{UPDATE} http://www.lplategreenie.blogspot.com

#19 blondeboys

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

{UPDATE} http://lplategreenie.blogspot.com/

QLDers still need loads more supplies- I am still taking donations

#20 wenchwitch

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hey C - let me know if you need help with the postage original.gif

We did a cash donation through Woolies as they have agreed to match donations dollar for dollar!

#21 blondeboys

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

I was able to drop all the stuff off to a ladys house near me today, it's all getting shoved into a cab of a crawfords truck.

She had a collection day last weekend- she said people were bringing grotty and foul crap. They took 2 trailer loads to the tip! I assured her the stuff I collected was all new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.