She has withdrawn her photo
Thank you for every one's support

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#51 Oma Desala

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

I voted as well.  There was some stiff competition there but her entry is fantastic.

#52 IBakeBoys

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Voted, and what a fab pic!

#53 winkwink

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

MotherClucker, another mutual friend here wink.gif  

I think I recall the voters prize being an Xbox??  Don't quote me on it though.

#54 Chchgirl

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

I've voted as well..it was an awesome photo!

#55 vonnegutesque

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

I tried a dozen times and it didn't work (even checked the newsletter box for half attempts). Eventually tried a different browser and it worked.

#56 Fish-Faced Moll

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Bec now has 743 votes and is ahead by nearly 200 votes ddance.gif.  

MotherClucker, another mutual friend here

Why, winkwink, we must be mutual friends too!!

#57 blissfulqueenb

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

VOted here too

#58 Corrie-Lyn

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

You can count on my vote.

#59 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

Just bumping this up to get a few more votes in.

Well done on a beautiful picture and a generous pledge

Have posted it in a flickr group to try and gain some extra votes as well.

Edited by GoneWithTheWhinge, 14 January 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#60 *Jackie*

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Voted too and have posted on FB as well !...great photo too btw

#61 winkwink

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'd like to share with you all Bec's blog post today.  She is so grateful for all the support she is receiving and is so excited at the prospect of being able to donate this money to the flood appeal.  

http://209.188.90.41/~shootthe/2011/01/l-o...-day-challenge/

Please keep the votes coming.

http://www.aussievault.com.au/vault/entry/...ssie-summer-fun

#62 cheerilee

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

I voted and posted on FB too. What a fabulous photo.

#63 miinii

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Voted and adding to my FB original.gif

#64 **Renz**

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

I have tried 20+ times and keep getting the error. Sorry I want to vote but its not allowing me

#65 MotherClucker

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Bec has pulled out of the competition  cry1.gif

This was posted on her FB 20 minutes ago

I have withdrawn from the Living Australian competition. It would appear the other contestants feel that I have bribed my way into votes by offering my prize money to flood victims. I'm sad that I won't be able to donate and I'm sad that winning and personal gain are more important to some people. Thank you everyon...e for getting behind me and voting! I never meant to hurt anyone. I was only trying to help.

#66 LittleDCJ

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

That's so disappointing.  Unfortunately competitions like this can often end with the 'most popular' person winning rather than the most deserving/best quality entry.  I voted for Bec's photo but only after looking at all the finalists and deciding that her photo was the one I like the best.  If it wasn't for the post in here I never would have known about the competition or voted.

#67 MotherClucker

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

To be honest there was nothing about the one that was leading, the bush fire photo that said "Australia" to me. I have seen similar photos done in California fires as well as many of the ones in Canada. Bec's photo did however. Im so sad and disappointed for her.

#68 IBakeBoys

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Oh no, thats awful to hear. It really honestly is a fantastic photo, the fact that she was donating the prize money was just gravy really...

#69 ~mummydear~

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

voted original.gif

oh, just saw the update - sad.gif

Edited by ~mummydear~, 15 January 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#70 Nicole

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Oh that's such a shame. I just read through the comments. There are some sore losers out there, I wonder which photo was Damien Gardners? Sour grapes for sure.

#71 vonnegutesque

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

I don't think she should withdraw because of a few sour douchebags.

These competitions are based on votes - every one of them comes down to who can get the most people to vote for them, not over artistic ability. If it was about talent they would get a panel of judges to vote!

So someone else is dirty because they want to keep the money for themselves instead of giving it to charity. Why should they win?

#72 --binda--

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

I had voted ages ago, so now bummed that my vote goes no where.. Especially when it is the most outstanding Australian one I can see by far!

#73 Anti-Socialite

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Is she getting her photo taken down? Wish she's stay in the competition her photo really is the best.

#74 crystaldi

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Brilliant photo. have put to my facebook!

Can't believe it!  Just noticed above!! Its a FAB photo.  We should all bombard the aussie vault and complain about it.  maybe if enough of us did that then they may add her back in.  

ps. it did just let me vote for her photo.

Edited by crystaldi, 15 January 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#75 Fish-Faced Moll

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I don't think she should withdraw either.  I would find it very difficult to believe that any of the finalists haven't put out the word to family and friends to vote for their images, via FB or otherwise.

If it's open to popular vote, the photograph voted most popular wins.

I'd be intrigued to see how this will be dealt with by the Australia Day Council.  There is nothing explicitly stated about family/friends voting for one's image, however there is a general "if the ADC feels the competition can't be run as intended we'll disqualify" clause in the rules which could cover this, but how bloody churlish would that be on the part of the ADC if that's how they chose to proceed.  It's not as though Bec posted herself on EB (which has to be where a large number of the votes came from) saying "HERE'S MY PIC!!  VOTE FOR ME!!  I NEED $5K!!!"

I would argue that the ADC cannot possibly prove that people only voted for Bec's image because of the flood donation, rather than the undeniable professional and emotive qualities of the image.

And Damien is definitely a douchebag  grin.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.