Food relief payments

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Question answered, will leave it there.

If we need to we will apply for income support, hoping we can do without it though because so many out there are in much more need of it than us.

Thanks everyone.  original.gif

Edited by Princess.cranky.pants, 16 January 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

I think they are entitled to apply. Whether they will get it or not is another matter.

If they lost power and lost food from the fridge/freezer that might be a significant expense - I don't know but I think everyone should be ebntitled to apply.

Also I don't think you should feel guilty for needing assistance. If you need it, you need it.

I found the eligibility requirements on this page: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...dec10_agdrp.htm

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP)
Payments of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child will be made if:

a person was seriously injured, or

a person is the immediate family member of an Australian killed as a direct result of the disaster, or

a person’s principal place of residence has been destroyed, or

a person’s principal place of residence has sustained major damage, or

a person is unable to gain access to their principal place of residence for a period of 24 hours or more, or

a person is stranded in their principal place of residence for a period of 24 hours or more, or

a person's principal place of residence was without electricity, water, gas, sewerage services or another essential service for at least 48 hours (a utility failure) and the utility failure was caused by damage to public or private infrastructure, or

a person is a principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.

I think you have to make a Stat Dec http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...1419_1101en.pdf

HTH

Edited by howdo, 16 January 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Penny*Penny*Penny

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...dec10_agdrp.htm

My sisters house did not get any flooding but they were without power from Tuesday until Saturday and they were 'stuck' in their street from Wednesday til Friday.

I am glad there is help available to those who need it. OP certainly do not feel bad claming if you require it.

Beaten too it, good work howdo.

#4 wilding

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

I applied and was granted the payment due to lost wages (and some furniture was destroyed from mould and stuff), another guy was in their doing the same thing regarding lost wages. When I went in to see them Friday regarding putting my fortnightly form in, they recommended I apply. I didn't think I would get it but did. Some may judge me, but like I said it was centrelink who recommended it and I didn't think I would get it.

#5 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone.

DH's boss is trying to get the company to pay for some wages so we will wait to see if that happens before we apply for assistance. Hoping we can get by with out it and certainly don't judge Wilding or anyone else for applying for it.

If they lost power and lost food from the fridge/freezer that might be a significant expense - I don't know but I think everyone should be entitled to apply.

They did not loose power. There is no damage to the house or any possessions. Only a very small amount of water went though the house. We had more flooding here and have lost a few things. It's nothing much and we won't be claiming for flood assistance.

I do think those entitled to assistant should apply for it but I just struggle to see why you need assistance of $5000 when nothing was damaged and no loss of power?

Anyway thanks girls.  

#6 *bibs*

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

The payment is for a wide range range of circumstances.  If you are eligible then so be it.

What I think makes people feel guilty for applying for it is: that it fits in the same category as people that have lost everything or had a family member die (does that make sense).  Example, my FIL's house went right under, he lost everything and he would only be entitled to what I would be entitled too.  Obviously his circumstances are a lot more dire than mine.

We had to evacuate due to water near our home and were affected by the flash flooding, we had no power etc...lost all food, minor damage to things around our property and Dh could not get to work for 3 days.

Yes I feel guilty if I apply but I do fit into their eligibility rules.

We will see.

They had the Centerlink Community Recovery Team at my local shopping centre yesterday giving away the forms and brochure so people could apply for the relief payment.

Edited by *bibs*, 16 January 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#7 MummyTard

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

2cm of water can still do so much damage, carpets need to be replaced as they would of been soaked, floorboards swell, walls would of soaked up a lot of the mucky water. Water can do so much damage, if they don't fix it up soon mould can grow and become a serious problem.

#8 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

What I think makes people feel guilty for applying for it is: that it fits in the same category as people that have lost everything or had a family member die (does that make sense)

That's it exactly. I chucked out stuff today that has been damaged but we still have a home to live in. I just feel guilty needing assistance when we are not suffering like so many others are.

That's why I guess I was really shocked that these people were going to apply for assistance when they had no damage, no loss of power or wages. They are fine and don't need the money.

How dose CL check you couldn't access your house for 24 hours or more? I suspect they might say they couldn't access the house so they can get a payment. They always had access but couldn't stay there the night it happened because the floors were wet.

#9 fallen~from~grace

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

We are eligilble for the payment, for us (DH & I, Plus 5 kids) that would be $4000 we could claim.  
We are not however, to us ( for us) it just doesn't seem right.  Our street was flooded in for a week and we had no power for 5 of those days. But as there was no damage to our house and despite the bad weather we still drew a wage.  
There are people worse off than us, that's for sure.

We did however think about claiming the money and then donating it all back to the flood relief.  

There is no shame in receiving the money if you genuinely need it though.

#10 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

2cm of water can still do so much damage, carpets need to be replaced as they would of been soaked, floorboards swell, walls would of soaked up a lot of the mucky water. Water can do so much damage, if they don't fix it up soon mould can grow and become a serious problem.

They have tiles. Not enough water to really be soaked up into the walls and it was cleaned out very quickly. Maybe there might be some minimal damage to the kitchen cupboard but everything else in the house is fine. It wasn't even that dirty because the water here didn't have the sludge in it like Brisbane.

Edit- totally agree fallen~from~grace. No same if you really do need it. But I think there is same if you don't need it and are claiming just because you can.

Sorry you had no power for 5 days. DH's work won't have power for a few weeks and there are cold rooms, fridges and freezers full of food. It's going to stink when they finally get back in there!

Edited by Princess.cranky.pants, 16 January 2011 - 04:02 PM.

#11 *Kayla*

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether or not they are applying for it. Each to thier own, we can only be responsible for our own actions.

But I will be very honest and say that I think you should apply for it. You've had flood damage and a DH who couldn't work. You may not have had as much damage as some and more than others.

But you deserve to apply for that money as much as anyone does. Esp since your DH is casual.

Please, apply for the money, you deserve to.

#12 LisaMaree82

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

^^^^ WSS original.gif

Lisa

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yeah I think *Kayla* is right. Don't concern yourself with what otehrs are doing but you should apply. Lost wages alone sound like you need it.

#14 Hashley

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

If they fit the criteria they so be it, though if there was a sliding scale to reflect the level of damage then it might appear fairer to some.

Don't under estimate the effect of people spending this money locally will have. Local businesses need all the support they can get I imagine.

#15 *bibs*

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

I agree with Hashley, that is one positive from the payment, businesses need support.

#16 JRA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

How can water go through a house, as per your OP and NO damage.

Just saw they have tiles, there will be some damage to things.

And really, stop worrying about others.

I think that is an EB past time, worrying that someone is getting more than you

Edited by JRA, 16 January 2011 - 07:11 PM.

#17 wildflowers

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

I have been a bit put off by donating money after a couple  of friends on Facebook 'know' someone who has gone to get payments from Centrelink.  Now this thread, if you need the payment get it.  Now I see the sending school stuff to via adopt a flood family is being rude to people who want to help.  So unfortunately hannahs foundation is getting some negativity.

#18 Snack

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have been a bit put off by donating money after a couple of friends on Facebook 'know' someone who has gone to get payments from Centrelink.

I am pretty sure that the "Premiers Relief Fund" that everyone is donating to is not related to the Centrelink Payments that the Federal Govt are paying for.  The money the people of Australia are donating will be used to help people whose insurance company would not pay out - businesses who have lost so much income and just generally giving the people a helping hand.  That is my understanding of it.

Unfortunately when there is welfare about - some people will do whatever they can to claim it.

And really, stop worrying about others.

I think that is an EB past time, worrying that someone is getting more than you

I agree with this.  From what I understand power was disconnected to homes that were in danger of flooding - whether they flooded or not - I seriously doubt that these people were left with power and had water in their home - no matter how shallow.

#19 trina-p

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

Water can do so much damage to gyprock. It soaks up the wall and they have to be replaced.
A family I know thought they got out pretty lucky with only a bit of water through the house but they had their walls removed today because they were gyprock.

#20 LisaMaree82

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I know people here who are applying for the payments and giving them directly to those worse affected original.gif

#21 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I agree with this. From what I understand power was disconnected to homes that were in danger of flooding - whether they flooded or not - I seriously doubt that these people were left with power and had water in their home - no matter how shallow.

They are not in Brisbane and power was not cut off where they live. The flooding that happened in their area did not have anything to do with what happened in Brisbane.

Edited by Princess.cranky.pants, 17 January 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#22 Jeneral

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

It is hard to be in qld and not be affected by the floods!

The thing is, the money is directly going into the economy of the areas where it is needed so wether people 'deserve' it or not it doesn't really matter - the community will benefit.

Even the story I heard of the guy who spent it all at the local pub - well the pub would have needed the business so it helped in that way!

#23 zoemonster

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

My parents are eligible and as PP has said they are getting them and donating them.  As is my brother in law from Toowoomba who was stranded in Ipswich as he was travelling home the day it all started.  So people are not necessarily getting it to upgrade etc.  My parents dont have a lot of money so for them its their way to donate.

Melinda

#24 twilightangel

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

I've just read that you can apply if there was a loss of wage, does that mean complete loss of wage or would you be intitled to some help if you only got paid 1/4 of your normal wage and are struggling? DH works off the Port of Brisbane and was unable to work last week due to the flooding and road closures (including the pacific hwy to Sydney - he's a truck driver) so only got paid enough to cover rent and I am not sure if we are entitled to help so we can get some food shopping this week etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.