Sunrise - doing what they can

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Sunrise has started a register of tradies available to go and help with the rebuilding in Qld.  The govt will be co-ordinating the teams so it's all done properly and above board.   Go to :  Operation Bounce Back

The other thing that Sunrise has started doing is putting in a free plug for affected businesses.  If you have a business and need to let people know that you are open and welcoming customers with open arms, this might be a good way to put it out there.

#2 2bundles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Good on Sunrise.

They had hopeless coverage in Brisbane.  Kochie had no idea where he was or what he was talking about.  I turned it off when he mentioned how everyone would miss the floating walkways with all their restaurants!!  Umm....the floating walkway only ever went past houses.

Channel 9 did a much better job.  Sent people in who had actually lived in Brisbane and could relate.

#3 protart roflcoptor

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (2bundles @ 26/01/2011, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good on Sunrise.

They had hopeless coverage in Brisbane.  Kochie had no idea where he was or what he was talking about.  I turned it off when he mentioned how everyone would miss the floating walkways with all their restaurants!!  Umm....the floating walkway only ever went past houses.

Channel 9 did a much better job.  Sent people in who had actually lived in Brisbane and could relate.

Exactly. Sunrise and it's hosts come across as fake and self-serving. They annoy me, immensely.

#4 Sal78

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Charity organisations really need to get moving and helping people. Sunrise is on the right path.

From all the victims I have spoken to that have lost everything, what they need the most is to move back into their house. A lot of people are living with relatives or friends. Family of 5 sharing a small bedroom. Life goes on, kids go to school, they have to go back to work as new still have a mortgage to pay but their house has no walls, no flooring, not structurally sound...and many have to completely re-build again.

The biggest slap in the face is the ridiculous means testing for the premier appeal funds. It's like $48k combined income for families which most victims will not meet!! You can't even get a loan on that type of income. Even if they could get the funds, it wouldn't be enough but now they can't even get anything.

Do not donate to the premier appeal. I hope somebody sets up an honest charity where the money will b used to go towards re-building people's homes and accessible for everyone that has been affected.

Right now, I think people will have to rely on the goodwill of tradies and Masters Builders Association. Most insurance does not cover floods.

#5 trina-p

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

The $48k is the upper income limit. If your combined family income is under $48,360 p/a you will be eligible.
Incomes under $50,440 may be eligiable for a reduced payment.
And only if you're uninsured.

But I still think it's ridiculous because it still makes a whole chunk of Brisbane who did lose everything ineligible and on their own.

#6 Guest_Buy Me A Pony!_*

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Which insurance companies don't cover flood?

#7 RealityBites

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Yikes. That seems like a ridiculous income limit.

#8 RichardParker

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

Most of them.  They may cover flood from a storm, but not flood from rising river waters.  Some companies are choosing to cover for the recent damage, but if they strictly enforce the terms of their policies, most of the damage won't be covered.  It's disgraceful.

#9 Guest_janedoe2010_*

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sunrise aren't doing anything but trying to look good by organising other people. It's the tradies and their families that are giving up paying jobs to go and volunteer that are actually doing something tangible. They are the ones who will have reduced/no income because they've flown from another state (sometimes), left their job temporarily (sometimes on leave without pay, especially if it's their own business) and have a family at home without a father/husband (in a lot of cases).

Kochie can get his own hands dirty, THEN I'll have some respect. In the meantime, they're simply advertising their show.

Edited by janedoe2010, 27 January 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#10 tartanmum

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (loufinch @ 26/01/2011, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Sunrise and it's hosts come across as fake and self-serving. They annoy me, immensely.

+1.

Sunrise sickens me.

#11 BadCat

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sunrise aren't doing anything but trying to look good by organising other people. It's the tradies and their families that are giving up paying jobs to go and volunteer that are actually doing something tangible. They are the ones who will have reduced/no income because they've flown from another state (sometimes), left their job temporarily (sometimes on leave without pay, especially if it's their own business) and have a family at home without a father/husband (in a lot of cases).

Kochie can get his own hands dirty, THEN I'll have some respect. In the meantime, they're simply advertising their show.

QUOTE (tartanmum @ 29/01/2011, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1.

Sunrise sickens me.

Well, sorry, but I thought it was a good thing to provide a rallying point for people who want to help but don't know where to start.  Organisation is a good thing.

I don't really think the fact that you don't like the hosts negates the fact that they are doing something to organise help for the rebuilding process.

It's not like other shows had people up there out of the goodness of their hearts either.  Their job is to report, that's what they did.  I don't know whether any other station is doing anything like this.  If they are then good for them.

I only posted initially because I thought someone might like to know who they can get in touch with to offer help.

But, you know, if it makes you happy to b**ch about the hosts, go nuts.  I'm sure they'll be devastated.

#12 Kafkaesque

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Placebo @ 02/02/2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess anything is better than nothing  shrug.gif   Channel 7 was nowhere to be seen during the floods in Brisbane.  Which probably explains how they're all over the Cyclone Yasi nightmare that's happening now.

I found it really irresponsible sending more people into an area that is going to be such a risky area.  Surely there were reporters in QLD that they could have used rather than sending Kochie and Mel (who I agree are obnoxious).

#13 Rubixx

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

I am hating how some channels are "counting down" to Yasi. Hmm...

#14 Blueblue

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

That's sick  ohmy.gif

#15 Pearson

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Kitallea @ 02/02/2011, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found it really irresponsible sending more people into an area that is going to be such a risky area.  Surely there were reporters in QLD that they could have used rather than sending Kochie and Mel (who I agree are obnoxious).

yep - 30000 people evac'd, and 100 people approx being flown in so they can report on the experience.  Putting people in the way of that is extremely irresponsible.  People did not go to the flooded areas because it would have been wrong - after the fact fair enough, but not before or during.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.