Tupperware - seeking honest opinions please!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cheekie75

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi.  I am very interested in starting in Tupperware.  But I am seeking honest opinions for a couple of questions - I would be happy if people wish to contact me (pm - I hope this is the correct term) personally if they're not happy to post under this topic.

So to all the Tupperware Sales people current and former sales people I would like to ask about the following:

I am aware that you need to attend meetings once per month are these compulsory?
As I am seeking to sign up without hosting a party (until signed up), do I need to contact the company directly or would it be better to seek out someone already established in my own area?
I note that sometimes my local shopping centre will have a temporary Tupperware stall set up.  Is this a compulsory requirement from your team leader to work at?
If you do not meet your sales targets, what happens and how are you assisted with achieving these?
As I have two children under two - is it a realistic option to earn money currently as I want to complete this along with part-time work?
What is the minimum commission that can be made from one party?
How much stock do you carry at any one time and with insurance are you expected to cover this on your own?  E.g. Take out your own insurance policy to cover your stock prior to delivery to party host?

I am sorry for all the questions (and I know some of these are quite bold, but I like to be thorough in my research before committing to anything) - but it is not something I want to ask at a Tupperware Party around my friends.

Thank you for your time and replies!

#2 emmbeetoo

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hi, just letting you know I have sent you a PM.
Regards, Em.

#3 RedTulip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Will PM you original.gif

Will PM you original.gif

#4 steen2007

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Will PM too

#5 ~Nodnol~

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

Could someone pm me too? I was just coming in here to ask pretty much the same questions.

Thanks original.gif

#6 nosyla

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

Nodol sent you a PM

#7 michelle120773

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

I was a demonstrator...I loved it.

I loved the meetings, the challenges, the product.

I quit!

I loved the product so much everything I made I spent on product.  Product for me, product for my kit...product, product, product!

In the end it was costing me money to be a demonstrator original.gif

#8 cute*as*a*button

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

May I please get a PM on these questions to?  I'm looking at signing up and are meeting a local manager on Monday and just want honest opinions.  Not sure but this lady might just be able to sell anything and I seem to get sucked in.  Thanks

#9 nosyla

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (cute*as*a*button @ 27/01/2011, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I please get a PM on these questions to?  I'm looking at signing up and are meeting a local manager on Monday and just want honest opinions.  Not sure but this lady might just be able to sell anything and I seem to get sucked in.  Thanks

PM Sent to you.

#10 Gympie

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

I'll be honest openly original.gif

I did Tupperware for 5 years and initially it was fantastic. It's not commission as such - as a demonstrator you earn your money by being the middle man basically.
You buy the tupperware from the distributor at cost price (ie. say $20) and you sell it at the catalogue price (ie. say $30) ... so the $10 difference is your "profit". But having said that you have to buy all the stuff yourself like catalogues, party toys etc and even the demonstrator stuff although the starter kit etc is reduced substantially to help you initially.

Meetings are held weekly at the distributor centre and then you have meetings (ours was monthly) with your manager and team. Your manager will give you goals and targets to get and if you achieve them you can get gifts and bonuses.

If you are passionate and are a good seller and can talk easily with strangers etc then it's not bad. When I first started I was getting a lot of sales and was very excited about it. The hardest bit was going to a stranger's house with people you didn't know and demonstrating the product. But most people who go to a tupperware party are aware of the product so it wasn't too bad.

One of the most important things is getting party dates - it is essential to keep your business running. The host gets lost of incentives to try and help you get those dates but after years the fire within me started to wane and I wasn't as excited about the products as when I first began. Plus the downside was buying the stuff - you really have to sell it off otherwise you are stuck with it (ie. you have to buy the monthly specials/limited editions etc yourself) Colors change, products change etc.

The travelling did get to me after a while - you really have no choice as to where your parties are because they are party dates. I would find myself driving all around the city for parties and then you have to drive back to the host's house to deliver the goods a few weeks later. And lugging all that stuff Tounge1.gif

And... ohhhh sessions... it's their huge Tupperware event for demonstrators, managers and Tupperware Inc people. It's huge, it's cult like, people are crying, screaming... it's a whole different world out there...

And when you are in tupperware all you do is dream tupperware - other products like Decor, Willow, Sistema etc are just so inferior that it's taboo to even think about them let alone speak their names Tounge1.gif

There is a party minimum for hosts to get their host gifts and in reality most do reach that target - for 1 party you can easily earn a few hundred. One of my more successful parties I sold $2K in tupperware - in 1 party. But you do have to do the ordering, attend meetings, paperwork, deliver the stuff etc so it's not just about selling.

Think I've yabba'd enough about it now but lol... it's a whole different world out there in Tupperware land Tounge1.gif

#11 nosyla

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Tupperware is a great way to make spare money if you have young children. You set the hours and can work only 1 day a week (Saturday) and do 3 parties. That would give you about $450 cash profit. It depends on the party average as to how much you actually make but for a $750 party you make $150. If sales are more you make more. The number of parties and amount of time is very much dependant upon what you want to do it.

Some managers can be very pushy and expect more, but you need to be firm with what you want.

Weekly sales meetings aren't compulsory but can be a benefit. If you don't got to them all I'd say you need to try and get to the meeting which has the new release catalogue or monthly previews as it gets you excited for the new products and tells you a bit about them. Even if you can't do this don't stress. Some managers are very pushy about this and want you there every week.

Kiosks again are voluntary so unless you want to do it you don't have to. It's a good way to get new customers if you've hit a dry spell or want something different but at the end of the day you might not be selected to be one one.

You usually need to sell $1500 per 3 months which is about 1 party a month (average $750). This is to retain your discount of 32.2%. Outside orders also help to this total as do any purchases you make as it's based on actual sales not your discounted rate. Some are flexible around this depending on why you couldn't make sales.

You get the starting kit and it's up to you how much extra you get. You can also borrow items from your Manager. I do this all the time even now. It means you don't need everything. You do need to be careful about what you buy and not over committing to specials and extras. Also learn to pack them off with orders so that you can make some money back on them rather than being out of pocket.

I hope that I've answered your questions. I'm in Western Sydney and if you want any more information please ask and I'll try answer your questions.

Getting started is also easy as you have a party at your house or suitable location and invite family, friends, neighbours (anybody and everybody really) and your Manager will help you get the date parties to help you get started. If you're confident you can get these before your party and get more on the day.

Be comfortable with your Manager and ask lots of questions. If not shop around and find someone you'd be willing to call for help and like their style so it suits what you want to get from Tupperware.

#12 mumsy26

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

So the average party sell is about $700, even these days? I thought it had dropped significantly in the last few years. The last party I went to was $450 and the Tupperware lady there said that it was a pretty average amount. Or maybe she's just not as good at selling stuff as some of you Tounge1.gif

#13 Chocolate Addict

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

So, do you girls have to cover the host reward gifts? I was told you do. After all those outgoings what is your real commission rate?

#14 Silvermist~

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I did Tupperware for about 10 months after having my second daughter and it was great for a while but then once the parties dried up it was really hard to get more parties and very frustrating.  I was under a lot of pressure to attend every single meeting each week, my DH travels a lot for work so I couldn't make each meeting. I was told it wasn't compulsory yet my manager expected me to be there each week.

It ended up costing me to do Tupperware in the end.  The cost of petrol, driving around dropping off orders, picking up replacements, taking replacements back again and of course driving 40 mins each way to attend the sales meetings.

Redgirlshell, yes TW demonstrators do have to cover the cost of the gifts.  After all the outgoings it's meant to be 20% commission.  I just couldn't see any decent return so I stopped doing it.  My diary dried up and my manager expected me to ring people out of the phone book or go door to door to try to get some parties.  I am a very confident and outgoing person so was doing well with sales in the actual parties but I draw the line at cold calling people.  

If you stick with it you can do very well but to be honest it has completely turned me off any type of party plan.

#15 rabbitandminx

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

hi
I would love to get the PM's as I also have a few of those same questions
Thanks
Wendy

#16 Chocolate Addict

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for that Silvermist. I had heard it was the way it was done but not from an actual TW lady. original.gif

Makes a big difference doesn't it.

#17 MIW

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hi,  I also looked into doing TW about 3 years ago and only did 3 parties.  Even with that i could tell there was going to be alot of running around and that the pay would not really add up.

What I found the most frustrating was that you sell a product, you put the order in and it is not until you pick up all of you stuff that you have to seperate and pack for the clients that you find that products are either sold out or on back order.  So that meant more running around and or changing commission if the client did not want another product.

Just something else to thnk about.

There are other party plan products that may have more of an efficient operation system, such as they just deliver the goods for you so you do not have to pick them up, pack them and deliver them to the client.  That would save alot of time.

Edited by MIW, 27 February 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#18 nosyla

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:48 AM

Our orders are delivered to home and on average from a party once costs come out I am still bringing home 25% commission. If you have other questions please ask me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.