Quambatook and kerang anyone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mamfa

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Just wondering if there is anything I can do for anyone? Do you know someone who's been evacuate to Lake Boga? Can I bring them some thing they need?

We have the evacuation stations here but I feel helpless still.

Also looks like we are going to loose power because the kerang sub station has been breached.

My DH has spent some time in quamby with the CFA doing sandbagging and got an emergency pager at 3am to go again. So it's still getting worse there.

It's still yet to peak at kerang. They first said Sunday night then Monday morning and now they just arnt saying anymore. We live on a farm inbetween Lake Boga and kerang. We are a week off yet for the water as we are on the avoka outlet( flood planes)
Yep they reZoned it a few years ago and build a levee bank that breached with just the rain we got without this "big water" coming our way. So I'm sure that's going to make life fun!

Let me know if I can do anything

Edited by mamfa, 19 January 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#2 ohsotired

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi, I live the other side of Kerang towards Barham. Most people I know have evacuated to Cohuna or Barham, or simply gone via Echuca to Bendigo etc for the night/ a few nights.

At the moment they believe the levy banks will hold and apparently if the pressure gets too much they are going to break it in certain spots where the water will be released onto farm land instead of the town itself. The power station has two levies. One has been breeched, the second is holding. The peak is expected sometime tonight.

There is no real indication being given on levels etc because the volume of water is surpassing what anyone has seen previously so they just don't know. (I have a family member working within the ranks who is letting me know bits of info).

We are expecting water where I am but across the other side of town, so I believe we will be fine. Good Luck! It's just horrific what everyone is going through. I still know a few people who are being so complacent because they have never experienced flood.

Good Luck to your husband in Quamby, They have copped it in the last few months with water!

#3 mamfa

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

They are now saying that the water will hit us tomorrow. I can see it comming. Its kind of scarry but interesting as well. I might feel diffrently if my house gets wet!

#4 Guest_ScoobyDumb_*

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

My family are in Ultima and are pretty isolated right now. In fatc it took three days to get my boys back from there recently as all access was closed.

Their next door neighbours just moved to charlton two weeks ago and their house has been destroyed so they moved back last night.

Mum has no water, no sewerage system (tank overflowed and no one can come to drain it) and are about to lose power and petrol from what she tells me.

STay safe all in this region.

#5 ohsotired

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

They are issuing warning for everyone from Murrabit West, Benjeroop, Lake Charm/ LAke Boga etc.  Benjeroop is pretty low and where the Loddon meets the Murray so wouldn't want to be there!

#6 mamfa

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

We have the kerang water going to get us from one side on it's way to the Murray and then the avoca overflow is a part of our farm. So that's the water that's been through charlton, quambatook way and it's going to get us from behind because of the channel system.

I have a friend due to have her baby in a few day but she wants to stay home to be comfortable. I offered my midwifery services but as I don't have any experience except having 3 kids, she wasn't impressed.

#7 MrsJP

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Just wondering what is happening in Kerang as my dad and brother live there?  I am holidaying in Japan at the moment so feel a bit cut off.  I did get through to my dad yesterday and he said he was fine but am still worried as you can imagine.  Would appreciate any information from anyone in the area.  
Thanks
Jo

#8 ohsotired

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

Kerang is surrounded by water and cut off but so far the levees have held and the power is fine. Apparently about 1000 people stayed and are all helping out with fixing any leaks etc that arise. Also heard today from some friend who are there that the supermarket is open so they do have access to food. The water has already hit the peak but they expect Kerang to be isolated for up to 7 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.