66 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=850419

#2 ToodlePopsMum

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

GOLD original.gif

Sorry again for not being here more often.  School holidays are hectic and I just never seem to find the time to sit down and do a decent post.  At the moment J is off playing lego in his room and Aley is pottering with toys behind me so I will see how much of a post I can do to deserve my gold claim roll2.gif

Hmmmm so what has been happening in the world of Toodles......

Well every single bloody day we have been going to the beach!  sounded like such a good idea at the time when I booked J's swimming lessons there but now that I am having to actually go, it is starting to kill me.  Only two more days so shouldn't complain.  The kids love it and it wears them out so I guess it is a good thing.  Aley and I usually have a potter in the water together or he just splashes around in the shallows with his "shubble" digging holes whilst J goes off and does his lesson.  The best part is that it usually means I can get both the boys to have a sleep at the same time, which is unheard of with J as he is 5 so obviously the swimming and sun is knackering him out too.

I bit of a meltdown the other day and had a big whinge to DH about how much I needed a break from the kids.  It had been over a month since I had had ANY time to myself.  I have been with them pretty much 24/7 and just felt like I needed a break.  So after my meltdown I went and had a shower, came out and DH pulled me aside from the breakfast duties and told me to take money out of the savings and go shopping.  all day.  too myself.    was lovely!  got up at 5.30am, went for a walk with my friend along the beach, came home and went out for breakfast with the boys and then headed off for about 5 hours of total me time.  I bought so many clothes and didn't feel one bit guilty.  Was a lovely day original.gif

Aley is truely a delight.  He is so so funny and cheeky but at the same time he can be a right royal terrorist.  He eggs his brother on so badly at the moment.  Drives me batty sometimes.  Poor J usually ends up getting in more trouble than the terrorist and he will push him too hard or knock him over trying to get away so I have to be careful sometimes when I disciplining them and dish out equal punishment for both original.gif

I have also just booked a famiy holiday away for Easter, which will also be Aley's 3rd birthday!  We were going to go away with some friends but I couldn't get them to commit to actually saying yes so in the end i just said "screw them" and booked something for my little family and my in-laws.  we went away with them last year at Easter time and I think they now see it as their little family holiday with us as they kept asking us what we were doing at Easter and were we going away.  They are pretty easy going and dont interfer too much with parenting etc so it should be good.  We have a big 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom place as well so there should be enough room for everyone to move around and not get in each others way.  We are going to be there for Aley's birthday so we are going to do things he really loves, like visit an animal farm, then go somewhere nice for lunch, visit the chocolate factory and then have a little party back at the house for him that night.

We are also having a bigger family and close friends party at our place the weekend before or after - haven't quite decided on the date yet original.gif.  What plans do you have for your little people's 3rd birthday?  I can't believe they are turning 3!!!

Hope this mammoth post earns me my gold roll2.gif roll2.gif

Edited by ToodlePopsMum, 20 January 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#3 ToodlePopsMum

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

HUMPH!!

Clearly YOU ALL SUCK!!

I do my first mammoth post in AGES and no one else has even claimed silver.

So Im going to....

SILVER

there.  its mine.  all mine.

roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif

just jokes.  geez im so funny sometimes i split my own sides from roll2.gif too much.

#4 winelover

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

lol lol lol pmsl  eexcite.gif

Marathon post for sure!!
How lucky are you being "let loose" to go shopping all day!  Your trip away at Easter sounds really nice.  Argghhhh 3 year olds... almost.... already... gosh that happened fast.  Nothing planned here as yet.  We are going to a little friends 3rd Birthday on Sunday at an indoor play centre.

Today was Jacinta's first day at daycare... she survived... so did I.   Can't believe I go back to work next Friday.  Will be working Thursdays and Fridays.  She is in daycare again tomorrow.  She is such a relaxed bub in the mornings, unlike her big sister Tayla who was always up at the crack of dawn or earlier.  Dropped her off today just before 9 and picked up at 4:30.   OMG in 2 weeks time I will be teaching a class that starts at 8am... will seriously have to get my butt into gear then!

BTW am I allowed to claim bronze?

#5 kgbird34

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

NO Kath, no, because I AM!!!!  BRONZE!!!!  You didn't say it properly  tongue.gif tongue.gif  .
TPM that was an excellent post, and you should be very proud of yourself.  Your pics of Aley on facebook are just priceless, the little treasure.  Your easter break does sound lovely and so did your shopping!!!  Where DID you get your DH from?  He sounds great!!
KATH I am spewing school is so close now, I can't believe it.  Back on the treadmill again!!!!  I should get back on the treadmill at the gym too, I am going soooo shockingly at the moment it's not funny.  I have really fallen off that bandwagon!  So glad Jacinta going to daycare worked out well for you  biggrin.gif .
Sorry I've been such a slacker, I've been reading but can't be bothered typing anything - got the can't be bothereds.  We went to the Melbourne Aquarium today and it was lovely, a nice day out.  Bella was a bit of a pain in the bum but reasonable, I suppose, for her and Ed was a good boy  biggrin.gif .  Bell screeched nearly all the way home, we need to put a sound barrier in between the front and back seats.  We gave her room a mini make over the other day with a new doona cover and cushion, wall stickers and a shelf with some fairies on it and three little canvas prints with a cat (she calls a cat a bitter bee, I don't know where that came from!) a rabbit and a dog on them and she just loves them.  Her room looks very cute, and she hasn't even pulled off all the wall stickers yet!  Well I must get going to bed, I'm knackered.  BRONZE.  One more time xxx me.

#6 Cantankerous

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi everyone not much going on here, my kids were at EH for the week but we had DP kids here so not really a kid free break but it meant I could ride my horse everyday and I had so much fun took him swimming for the first time and the bugger tried to drown me lol He decided he didnt want to swim anymore and sank! but still had loads of fun.

We have our first comp together next weekend so busy getting ready for that I start UNi again in a few weeks so busy busy busy.

Ellie still wont toilet train I'm so over it. DS is a feral 7 going on 15 oh the joys catch up soon.

#7 KnightsofNi

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Warning - Sensitive post (especially to Kalita)

My friend gave birth to a stillborn baby girl yesterday. She was 36 weeks pregnant. I have cried so much since I found out that I have a head ache. It is so devastating.

I am going to buy her card and send it to her tomorrow. I really don't want to intrude on what must be such a difficult time. Kalita - if you do read this, anything I can do for her?

#8 winelover

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

O Hope,

That is devasting for your friend.  She is in my thoughts and prayers.

When my girlfriend who was due when I had Jacinta lost her bub full term a girlfriend and I sent her some flowers.

#9 ToodlePopsMum

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

so sorry to hear about your friend Hope.

sending a card is a nice idea and a nice way to let her know you are thinking about her, her family and her lost baby.   if you know the babies name, write it in the card to acknowledge them too.  

if she is a close friend, just be there for her.  drop a text message every now and again to let her know they are in your thoughts.

#10 winelover

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Happy HOT Australia Day everybody!! waves.gif

#11 KnightsofNi

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

We had a lovely Australia Day. We went to a friend's house for a BBQ. There were a bunch of kids and they played in the backyard and had a great time. They especially liked running on the sprinkler. They were all very cute.

Owen started waving yesterday, and he loves doing it. He is always waving. If you give him a bottle, he waves as you. Look at him, he will wave at you.

Short post I know. Stressed.

Bye

#12 Guest_kalita_*

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

We had a quiet Australia day (well, not unusual, we have a quiet day every day Tounge1.gif). DH had Tuesday off so we went into town without E (she was at daycare) and that was really nice original.gif

Hope: Thanks for the warning on your post original.gif There are lots of things you can do for your friend and to be honest it depends on how your friend is. There are lots of threads in the stillborn/neonate loss forum about how to help if you haven't checked them out already. Here is a lazy copy/paste of one of my posts from there for you original.gif
QUOTE (kalita @ 10/11/2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would send a card, just a card, not a congratulations or sympathy one. Even if you friend doesn't want to look at it now, she might in the future. Same with a small gift/keepsake for the baby if you are so inclined.

Give her space, realise she may not want to talk and might push you away. That's ok. Let her know that you are thinking of her and that you are there when she wants to talk. She will want to talk about her little girl, eventually, even if she can't bring up the topic herself. It will make her cry, but that's ok. You are not 'making her upset' by mentioning her little one. It took me more than a year to even think of my DD (also lost at 38w) without breaking down, but I always think of her and would love to talk about her with people who don't change the subject or look around awkwardly.

Please, most importantly, don't forget. Write down the baby's birthday in wherever you keep that stuff, and remember it next year.

ETA: I really hated when people told me "Oh, I don't know what to say". I know they meant well, but I really hated feeling I had to comfort them and their awkwardness when I was in so much pain myself. I much preferred the "I'm sorry, I'm thinking of you". That may be just me original.gif

And I agree with TPM about the messages. She's always checking up on me when I am MIA for a while, even if I'm not down it's lovely to know someone else is thinking of my little girl original.gif

Rach: did you get on the treadmill yet? I got on my bike for the first time in months today. It was making a weird noise and I was scared I was going to break it so I got a tech to come and look at it, and of course it's not making the noise any more. So I got on after the tech left to check and yup, no noise. So we might have to pay for the tech callout now sad.gif Bugger. And no more excuses to not use it, bugger Tounge1.gif

WL: Can't believe you are going back to work!

Me: Miss E discovered her potty yesterday and interest in TT is renewed. Hopefully we get there this time, I am sick of all these false starts. Uni starts again for me soon, I am excited and dreading it laugh.gif

#13 KnightsofNi

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Kalita.

I have sent her a card. It was a 'with sympathy' one. I took the tone of the birth announcement, and thought it was more appropriate. We as a group sent her flowers (she was in my mothers group).

We are so devastated for her. The little baby girl will be missed from our group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway.... I was doing the grocery shopping with both the kids today. We were in the last aisle, with my trolley full of groceries and little miss said to me 'Mummy, I need to do wee's'. DD never tells me that she needs to do wees (we are not really progressing with TT). So I abandon my shopping (well, into the care of a supermarket demonstrator). Pick up Owen and my bag and rush off to the toilet. Because we were doing the shopping, I didn't have a pram or anything. So I am trying to take her nappy off, help her wipe, put the nappy back on etc, while holding Owen. NIGHTMARE!! But she did a big wee. So it was still a proud moment. She likes to make my life difficult that one.

It would appear I didn't get the job I interviewed for on Monday. They told me I would hear from them on Tuesday or today. I still haven't heard from them, so have to assume I didn't get it.

I am really stressed out. I really have to work. We are broke, broke, broke, broke, broke, broke, broke. And unless I get a job, we can't pay the bills. Disaster really. But because DH works long hours, I have to do all childcare drop off and pick ups, so job opportunities are really limited for me. This was never part of the plan.

#14 KnightsofNi

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Well we had an odd day today.

Yesterday, Annabelle asked to go to the toilet and she did a big wee. Very unusual. So today, I decided, just on the off chance of success, to put DD in knickers for the day.

And...... by the end of the day she was TT'd!!!!  It was amazing, she did about 10 wees and 3 poos on the toilet. Only one little accident. I think she was a little distracted, so started to do a wee on the floor, but she stopped herself and went to the toilet and finished it off. I was very impressed!

I asked her about once an hour is she wanted to go to the toilet, sometimes she said yes. But most of the time, she knew she when she needed to go the the toilet and took herself to the toilet. It really was amazing.

I have put the kids in FDC on Mondays and Fridays, starting tomorrow. I am preparing for returning to work, so have to organise childcare. I can not put them in LDC 5 days a week. So I decided on LDC 3 days per week and either a nanny or FDC 2 days a week (if I have to work 5 days a week). And it so happened that my favourite carer at the kids LDC (and Annabelle's favourite) is starting FDC 2 days a week tomorrow and had spots available for my 2. So I booked them to secure the spots although I don't need them yet.

#15 Guest_kalita_*

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

That's excellent news Hope original.gif We are still having accidents but only about 1 a day, I can cope with that original.gif E is starting to come out and tell us that she has already gone in the potty, not that she needs to go, so I'm counting that as progress (unless she tries to carry the potty full of wee down the carpeted hallway and gives me a heart attack  laugh.gif happy.gif)

#16 ToodlePopsMum

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Just had to come in and share some news.......

ddance.gif  ddance.gif ALEY IS TOILET TRAINED FOR WEES & POOS!!!  ddance.gif  ddance.gif

Wees he has been trained for about a month but just the last week he has been running off to the loo and doing his poos.  We never even pushed him to do it!  Just did it himself - I think it was the promise of chocolate after a poo that got him motivated original.gif  We have driven in the car for about 40 minutes at a time and he has never wet and even done his first "roadie" the other day.  

Oh the end of nappies is in sight!!  He is waking up almost dry from his day sleeps too (maybe 6 out of 10 he is dry).  Night time sleeps are a bit different as it is such a long time that he is in bed so I am not expecting this to happen any time soon.

As it stands I buy 20 nappies and they last me nearly 3 weeks!  BONUS!!! eexcite.gif

Hope:  Miss A sounds like she is doing great with her training too!

Kalita:  ewwww!  yes carrying it down the carpetted hallway is not ideal but like you said, it is big progress that she is going off and doing it by herself!

Question:  is everyone using a potty or going straight to the toilet?  we are a straight to the toilet kinda family original.gif

#17 KnightsofNi

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Kalita - DD has carried the full potty around to. She tries to empty it into the toilet, but she just leaves a trail of wee around the house.

TPM - Go Aley!

We nearly always use the toilet, with one of those seat/step thingys. She used a potty a few times yesterday, but only because she thought it was great fun. I have put the potty in the car for on the road, so she won't be using it at home anymore.

LAM - DD wants to go to school to. She is always talking about when she is 4 she will go to school. We drive past the school so she see it. She has a long wait.

AFM - The kids went really well at FDC. Annabelle had no accidents. Annabelle wants to go back tomorrow and she didn't want to leave today. Owen was happy when I picked him up. He had a nap, but was a bit off his bottle, but it was 42 degrees today.

#18 winelover

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

wow!! Good work all around with the tt kidlets   cclap.gif  cclap.gif  cclap.gif

In the early days we did a potty, but now we just use it as a step to get up to the loo.  Tayla is such a midget that she is too short to get up by herself on any regular loo! Now, we have a seat that we got from bunnings for $50 when we were replacing our loo seat. It has a kiddy seat as a part of it.  Think it was called a "family seat" the kids seat sticks with magnets inside the lid and you only pull it down to use it.  Tayla loves it and shows her little friends how to use it when they visit.  

Tayla kind of just trained her self back in November, but we haven't attempted night time without nappies yet.  Anyone got any tips on this?  At the moment, I forget she wears nappies to bed, cause when she dresses herself in the morning she just chucks her nappy in the nappy bin in her sisters room and I don't have much to do with it.  Ocassionally I find it discarded behind the toilet door if she has been to the loo.

LAM - I'll send my independent little missy over to sort Dempsey out for you.  But be warned, she is not shy... Today in the car she openly talked about girls having fannys and boys having doodles!! Then talked about girls "wee wee holes"!  Don't think I use that term! lol

Kalita - I have appreciated reading your advice. I often find myself crying for my friend Carol-anne and her baby boy she has lost.  7 months on, and our conversations are becoming easier.   I also try not to whinge about my kids in front of her cause "at least I have kids" as my husband reminds me.

Yes I have gone back to work... 2 days a week. Thursdays and Fridays again! Yep, for the money and my sanity!

#19 KnightsofNi

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Another sensitive post relating to my friend's baby.

I went to the funeral today. It was so heartbreaking. I started crying while driving there, and pretty much didn't stop until I got home. Such a wonderful family and a beautiful girl who deserved to spend their lives together.

#20 winelover

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

cry1.gif  cry1.gif  cry1.gif

#21 Guest_kalita_*

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Has anyone heard from DM lately? She's not on my FB and I know she's in the cyclone area sad.gif

I have relatives in Townsville, I am hoping they stay safe too.  sad.gif

#22 kgbird34

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Kalita she's on my FB and she's fine; but understandably 'sh*tting herself'.  I have just started reading about the cyclone and wish I hadn't now.  Scary stuff.
Hope,  bbighug.gif .  Inadequate I know.
Just a quickie, going to have a nap while both the littlies are asleep xxxx.

#23 ToodlePopsMum

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

Just a quick update on DM......

They are all fine. Without power since Wednesday night and have only heard what happened with the cyclone via the ABC radio.  No damage to their place though so that is great to hear.

BBL after school drop offs and running a million errands original.gif

#24 Guest_kalita_*

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the updates on DM original.gif Glad to know they got through it. So scary!

Not enjoying this humidity down south though sad.gif We had minor flooding yesterday, a few downed trees and parks underwater. Thankfully nothing major! At least my poor neglected vegies are getting a drink Tounge1.gif

#25 winelover

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi girls! A cool change seems to have arrived here! phew! Thankgoodness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.