Unsettled after Rotavirus Vaccine?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bells7

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi there, my DS is just over 10 weeks old and had his 2 month vaccines on Tuesday.
Ever since then, he has been a very different baby & i'm beginning to think it may have a lot to do with the oral Rotavirus vaccine he swallowed.

DS has never really cried much at all, always slept quite well at night, from around 9 or 10pm until 4.30/5.30 for BF...and he's always seemed to get his wind out pretty good with burping & farting (must take after DH  wink.gif

I did notice he had diarrhea a couple of hours after the vaccine & has been vomiting for the last few days. He is also very very unsettled in parts of the day, with bouts of uncontrolloble crying and I am finding it extremely difficult getting him down for a day sleep at all, he is always fighting it big time..

We gave some baby panadol to him the last two nights as it seemed like he had a sore tummy... he only stopped crying after being propped up over my shoulder & really didnt want a breastfeed either... ..its really stressing me out not knowing what is going on with him & I dont know how long this will last for..

Was wondering if anyone else had stories of the same thing happening to their bubs after 2 month vaccinations? Any help is really appreciated.

#2 liveworkplay

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Possible side effects of oral rotavirus vaccine

The rotavirus vaccine is generally well tolerated.  Reactions to the rotavirus vaccine are much less frequent than the likelihood of the disease and include:

Common side effects

* Fever
    * Diarrhoea (in the week after rotavirus vaccination)
    * Vomiting (in the week after rotavirus vaccination)

HERE

I would say it is a normal reaction according to what is published (sorry no personal experience as that was one of the vaccines we opted out of) If it lasts more then a week I would go to your GP. Also is he keeping down fluids and having wet nappies? Babies can get dehydrated very quickly and he would be loosing fluid with the vomiting and diarrhoea

#3 Bells7

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Liveworkplay for your reply & the link  original.gif They did mention that vomiting & diarrhea could possibly occur but I guess I've just never seen him so unsettled & the bouts of uncontrollable crying have thrown us...He doesn't have any more diarrhea & the vomiting is every now & again, not much though...thankfully his nappies are wet & he's been feeding well so thats a very good thing. We've been taking his temp & thats ok too, although he does feel a bit hotter than normal...but its pretty hot here too so who knows!
I'm just really upset that he could react to it in this way & that it was something he was given by me, feel so horrible about it & really unsure whether to give him a second dose at 4 months after seeing him react like this. I know getting Rotavirus is way worse but I dont think I can put him through this again..

#4 Natttmumm

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Yes, both of mine were like this with all the immunisations except the 12 month ones. DD1 got the runs which wouldnt go away for a while. My SIL kids did too. I think  alot get it. I think from memory it lasted about 10 days (it was on and off but not bad enough to do anything about it) but is much less severe that if they got Rotavirus. DD1 got a similar bug at 6 months and ended up in hospital for a week really ill. So it is worth the injection and crappy week afterwards.

Hope he improves asap

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Bells7: Although I have no experience with the rotavirus (DD1 and DD2 are too old and we opted out for DD3) DD1 and DD2 were both irritable and not themselves after their 2 mth vaccs. However were fine after their other vaccs (they are are both fully vaccinated) For varuious reasons, we didnt start DD3's vaccs until after she was 4 mths old and she tollerated them very well, not even crying when given the injection.

I would suggest getting the 4 mth rota now you have started as you cannot catch up on it as their are age restrictions on it.

#6 deejie

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

My DS had a very similar reaction- vomiting, diarrhoea and long periods of being unsettled. It lasted 4 days. He ran a mild temperature in the evening and I would give him a dose of baby Panadol, put him in a sling and just carry him around all afternoon/evening until I could eventually settle him.

Part of me was hesitant to have the vaccination repeated at 4m, but I thought that a few days of having a mildly ill, irritable baby was far better than having an extremely ill child with rotavirus. Interestingly, he had no reaction at all to the 4m and 6m dose.

#7 Vicotira

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

just had my 4 month one and he;s only done 2 poos since and hasn't vomited more than normal. he's a bit cranky and unsettled though, but i think that's more from the injections! a bit of panadol the night of the vaccine and then a second dose the next day set him straight. although he's still sleeping badly (but then he was anyway).

#8 nora78

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yes, yes, yes! Our DD was incredibly unsettled after her 6 week vaccinations (incl. rotavirus). She screamed and screamed on and off for two days (including a lot of screaming in the night that really freaked us out) and did an excessive amount of green acidic smelling poo for about four days (she got nappy rash within 24 hours it was so bad). She did not have a temperature and fed as normal. I called the Early Childhood Centre about it, they said it was likely to be the rotavirus vaccine and that if it didn't go away on day 4 after the vaccines that I should take her back to the GP.

Unfortunately DD then got a cold, and so it turned into two weeks of unsettledness (fighting day sleeps, being very wakeful at night, generally unhappy). But it was definitely kick started by the rotavirus vaccine. Much better than her getting rotavirus, though :-)

#9 Bells7

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Thanks so much for the replies, I really appreciate it. Seems like its a pretty horrible experience after the shots for many young bubs & their parents, wish I had known this beforehand.... I am still fairly reluctant & undecided about going back for his 4 month shot but I guess as mentioned, a couple of days of this far outweigh the risk of Rotavirus itself.

Luckily it seems like DS may be back to his normal self today anyway, so it was about 4 days of the unsettleness etc....I mean he still hasnt been down for a good sleep today although I've just put him down now & think he's out for the count for a while... hoping he doesnt wake up again in another 30 mins like he usually does during the day, he just loves to catnap. Thats another story...or topic. Ha! Thanks again everyone.

Oh yep, he woke up...exactly 30 mins like I said too...arghhh!

#10 Vicotira

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

you should definitely go back, its not just rotavirus, those vaccinations are protecting your baby against a whole host of serious diseases.

#11 stripeymonkey

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

My DS2 was sick for 2 weeks after his 8wks vax (inc rota virus) and lost a lot of weight. Same thing happened after the 16wks one. We put it down to the rota virus vax. We opted out of the rota vax for DD for this reason. For us the reaction of that particular vax outweighed the risk of her contracting the virus.
Maybe research it a bit more if you're unsure.

#12 laridae

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yes - 2months vacc DD was unsettled for about 4 days.
I expected the same with the 4month ones - but there wasn't anything.

I think a few days that aren't great are better than her getting the virus.

#13 PolkaDots

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

My DD has not been herself since her 2 month vaccinations 1.5wks ago. She has been extremely sooki and unsettled, she will scream for hours with DH or ANYONE else besides me. With me she settles straight away, which although flattering is quite annoying as we need my mum to look after her on Friday as we have an event to go to. I hope she snaps out of it soon

#14 EFR

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

My DS was really unsettled & unwell for about 5 days after his 2 month rotavirus.
He didn't have any reaction for the next two boosters original.gif
Hope it is the same for you!

Interestingly my new little DD had no reaction to it at all. Different reactions for different kids I guess.

#15 Loze

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

oh god yes!

our twins have had shocking gas ever since the vaccine. The Dr did say wind was a possible side effect but this is seriously full on and is waking them. My daughter has been pooing almost every other nappy for a week. Very annoyed!

#16 fedelia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Our DS was also very unsettled after his 2 month vaccines.  His 4 month ones were fine though, only reaction to that one was a slight increase in temperature.

Maybe it's just the shock at 2 months and the impact on their tummies?  At 4 months they've been sucking on everything anyway and it won't be as foreign which makes some babies less unsettled compared to 2 months?

#17 Cleo19

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:14 AM

Great to find this thread as my DD has responded similarly with her 2 mth vaccinations (had at 7wks). The only way she will sleep is next to me on the couch or on my chest. Loads of gas both ends and harder to burp, though I can hear her tummy gurgling. Plenty of crying as well, and just wanting to BF all the time.... Then regurgitating cause she's taking in too much! I have started her on probiotics to help her tummy and it was suggested to do this for the 10days before next vaccinations as well. In all the info, I didn't see where they say that's it's a live virus!!

#18 Hands Up

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

My DS really suffered with his six week immunisations (about 3 days) but his four and six months he was absolutely fine. It is definitely worth keeping up to date with his vax schedule :-)

#19 newmumandexcited

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

My DS had his vaccination four days ago and is very unsettled with a sore and extremely windy tummy. Sleeping a little more but only on me.

I wish I hadn't gotten RV, but I suppose it will be worth it.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 04 March 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#20 Becstarinator

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

When I was working in childcare in the Territory there was a bad outbreak of rota virus, back before the vaccine.  There were several babies/children die and one childcare worker in Alice Springs.  Also plenty of littlies hospitalised for dehydration.

Both my boys had the immunisation, my big one had more trouble and would have the runs for 7 days or so after each dose but the little one was much better.

With all that said I would never not get it because of how deadly the virus can be.

#21 countrychic29

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

For that sort of reaction i would continue with the next doses.
I am as pro vax as you get but our circumstances changed that.
Our DD had a bad reaction to the rotavirus at 6-8 weeks - and had blood in her stools
We still did the second dose as they Dr's said it was related to CMPI instead (she had no signs before it)
After the second dose she had a severe bleed an ER visit with ultrasounds etc... again it was put down to something else 'a virus' they said
After consultation with paed, gp and a immunology paed we decided against the 3rd dose.
The paed and gp advised us not to have the 3rd dose
The immunologist paed (at the RCH) said he would do it but couldnt guarantee she wouldnt have a more severe reaction the 3rd time.
She is up to date on all other immunisations just missed the 3rd dose of rotavirus

#22 jem_cat

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

Glad this thread exists, my boy is also unsettled after his RV. Runny smelly poop and wanting to feed constantly. Hope it settles down soon!

#23 Teah

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

This helped alot!! Lets hope these 4 days go quick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.