If everything you eat and drink finds its way into breast milk...
Updated. I have a NEW DS!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bubbabelly

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I've been giving this some thought today as my 4 week old DS is quite gassy and gets bouts of stomach pain throughout the day.

Given that what I eat and drink passes through my breastmilk and produces an effect in my baby I've been thinking that surely ingesting herbal teas or foods that are known to help with digestion, bloating and gas would pass to my baby giving him some relief?

I'm going to trial drinking fennel, peppermint and chamomile infusion teas to see if it helps DS's wind and comfort levels.

Has anyone tried this?

Editted to add: I started drinking peppermint and anise tea (a whole teapot over the course of the day - I even drink it when it gets cold and it's still nice) and it has had a dramatic effect on my DS.  No more gurgling tummy and constant wind.  He's sleeping better (4 hour blocks during the day and up to 7 hours overnight) and is much, much less agitated.  So it's worth a try if you think your bub has excessive wind!!!

Edited by bubbabelly, 01 February 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#2 Lafevu

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I always wondered that...but slightly off topic...It was nuts that had me wondering, meaning if i ate them whilst breastfeeding (you know the "no nuts at a certain age ") would they then be "drinking" nuts into their system?

As for your op, it may be worth a try but check that those certain herbs and so on are safe first, just in case...

Edited by rfm08, 23 January 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#3 fionah

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

OP, I have no answer, but rfm08, there is a lady i know through ABA and her son has severe allergies. It looks like he may be anaphalactic to dairy, along with bad reactions to ther foods, but what she eats does not affect him at all. He is breastfeeding & about 9 moths old.

Fi

#4 BitsandBobs

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

I loved chamomile tea while breastfeeding and I am convinced it had a positive and soothing effect on my DS. I used to drink chamomile from about 5pm each afternoon and it seemed to help, even if it just helped with keeping me calm and well hydrated. I figured it couldn't do much harm!

#5 Riotproof

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

I figure it can't hurt.

The gassy colicy phase can be incredibly stressful, so it can only help you too, I think. Please know it passes. I did not believe a single person who said it would, and thought I'd have hours of screaming to contend with forever. It DOES pass. Especially once they get a little more mobile.

Baths was something that helped us especially. I got in with DS and he would feed and actually be calm for that time. Something you might like to try.

#6 tick

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

I drank both chamomile and fennel teas when breastfeeding my newborn and I do think they both had a positive effect on her.... even if only by calming ME down so that I was more calm in my dealings with her ... who knows.  Try it!

#7 archyandmehitabel

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

My elder son didn't have colic in the ordinary sense.  He was in pain after fedding every single time and i had no practical support from from doctors and maternal health nurses who all said dairy allergy was very rare and nothing IU was eating was affecting him etc etc. Doctors said suggesting food intolerance was an overreaction and shoudln't be considered yet. After 6 moths of this, without consulting them I progressicely gave up dairy and eggs, then onions and spices and garlic, then citrus, with improvement with each omission.  This worked.  Boring diet for me, but at least I got to sleep between times, which I wasn't before then.  When he was 18 months old I tried a galss of orange juice, and within an hour after feeding he was screaming and drawing his legs up.  No more orange juice for another 6 months.  Now he's a teen and has no allergies or problems with any food.

So adding soothing teas had no effect, but cutting upsetting foods from my diet did.  Only you can tell what will work for you.

#8 lucky 2

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

I don't think it will hurt bub to drink those things (check though re ok with bfing) so long as it is in moderation like anything else in the diet.
The link below is very informative re diet and bfing.
As for the "windy" baby, it is usually just normal newborn behaviour for bub to be unsettled at least for some period of every day, usually in the afternoon, and this period of unsettledness and crying peaks at about 6-8 weeks, so it may not need any "treatment" as such, just good bfing and comforting, maybe some baby wearing/sling or lots of close contact, getting help/support in caring for bub during the difficult hours.
The 2nd link is about normal newborn behaviour and crying/soothing/sleeping.
All the best.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html
http://www.purplecrying.info/

#9 Loze

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

chamomile totally worth a shot!

re: peppermint - mint can reduce milk supply but maybe peppermint doesn't act the same way? worth checking first.

also as previous poster said, consider what you are eating, too. I waited months before cutting out dairy for one of my twins, who had a constant runny nose and was very colicky. Within 2 weeks she had improved AMAZINGLY and I wish I had done it earlier. of course there's no point cutting major food groups out willy nilly, but if your bub has any symptoms in addition to colic (like congestion) give it some thought.

#10 Diormummy

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Anise/aniseed  tea, life saver.

#11 TaGB

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

My FIL is a herbalist/natropath and he advised me that it is fine for your baby to drink chamomile tea themselves. A number of mums from my mothers group tried it with their little ones and they loved it. My DD on the other hand, wouldn't take anything from a bottle.

Also, if they have windy gas pains, the smallest drop of aniseed oil smeared on their tongue will work wonders.

#12 Swizzlestick

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

And maybe try cutting back on dairy- that can really help with the gas original.gif

#13 Mary~Poppins

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

I drink chamomile tea regularly & think it helped a little with settling my babies.  Once they started solids I've also given it straight to them with good effect.

Best advice I ever got from a CYHS nurse was to give baby 1-2mls of cool boiled water after a feed...Apparently it helps to break up the gas bubbles or something.  We regularly gave it to one of our (very gassy/stomach pain) DDs & within 30secs of having the water she would do a massive burp and be happy again.  *I wish I'd been told this with my first baby!!

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (rfm08 @ 23/01/2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always wondered that...but slightly off topic...It was nuts that had me wondering, meaning if i ate them whilst breastfeeding (you know the "no nuts at a certain age ") would they then be "drinking" nuts into their system?

Rfm08 there is some reason to believe the 'nut' can go through to them, I think. It's been used as an explanation for kids who are allergic to nuts on first exposure (as theoretically, allergies should be due to a previous exposure) - they say they may have been exposed while breastfeeding or even pregnancy.
That said another school of thought is that it's better to expose them that way, as it's tiny amounts so a gradual introducetion while they are under the 'protection' of breastfeeding and get whatever antibodies (not the right word but you get the gist) the mother has been producing to eat the nuts.
Sorry I'm being vague my memory is fuzzy and I'm too lazy to google. But yes there is some credence to the idea that something from the nuts does get through to them - and there's some disagreement about whether this is a good or a bad thing in terms of sensitising, or desensitising them.

#15 cheekybooby

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I removed the evil tomato from mine and ds diets and ds started sleeping a lot better. Tomato being a problem is quite common. Have a look at fedup.com.
Refer to another thread under breastfeeding as to why you shouldn't go with the water option.
Good luck and take care

#16 Sassenach2

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Does your newborn empty one breast when he is feeding, because if he isn't, then he isn't getting to the end milk, which used to be called hindmilk. This milk is the creamy part of the feed and the first part of the milk is the thirst quencher, but the creamy milk helps with digestion and gives your bubs a lovely gut flora, so do make sure he is staying on one side for a while, because if not he may get a tummy ache from not getting to the hindmilk. wub.gif

#17 lucky 2

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Bubs need milk, not water, not tea, in the ideal world that would be mothers milk straight from the breast, babies are designed to drink milk only. There are other ways to care for/soothe a bub other than bringing other things into the diet. As for the tea, ie made with chamomile (I'm fond of this herb but not for babies), ? where were the leaves where sourced, are they organic or were pesticides used, are they fresh and actually have any active components, are they contaminated etc etc, in my mind it is safer just to stick with breast milk (or formula milk) and not take an extra risk with bubs immature digestive system.

#18 bubbabelly

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for your replies  biggrin.gif .  I'm going to start a food diary and switch my normal black tea to herbal to see if it makes a difference.

#19 NatMummyTo2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

All good advice here - another thing to consider if you think it might just be gas is to burp every 3 minutes when breasfeeding or every 30mls bottle feeding.  This worked with my LO after a day or two and as the weeks went on I increased the time between burps unless she started the afternoon grizzles again.  

This won't work if there are underlying issues but may be worth a try?

#20 bubbabelly

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Bump...just wanted to let you know I've had a positive result from drinking herbal tea and BF DS!  Might be of some help to other mums with gassy bubs.

#21 Zeldagirl

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Hi

Just wanted to mention that DD is pretty windy, and I've cut down on the milk chocolate sad.gif and biscuits and - what a difference!  I can see a direct correlation between these and her colicy symptoms.

#22 Guest_ladidadida_*

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Re the nuts thing, DD is allergic to peanuts and she would come out in a rash if I had peanut butter.

I also had to cut out dairy as she would react to that too and stopped gaining weight until I had cut it out.

#23 namie

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

Glad the tea has worked, OP.

I didn't even think to try it when DS was gassy, I just eliminated things from my diet until I worked out 4 weetbix in a bowl of milk for breakfast every day was causing the problem!

Will keep the calming tea in mind for the next baby though, just in case.

luckytwo Posted 24/01/2011, 10:05 AM
   Bubs need milk, not water, not tea, in the ideal world that would be mothers milk straight from the breast, babies are designed to drink milk only. There are other ways to care for/soothe a bub other than bringing other things into the diet.

luckytwo, the OP meant that she would drink the tea in the hope that the nutrient benefits would make their way through the breastmilk to her baby. She certainly didn't suggest she'd directly feed a 4 week old a cup of tea.

#24 queeney

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

out of curiosity for my next bub what brand tea do you use? My son suffered badly from gas and reflux, but before it was diagnosed a health nurse told me he might be alergic to my milk, I should try formula!! Stupid stupid first time mum with only friends and family who FF switched, and no difference. @ 7weeks he was diagnosed and was on losec, but I was sooo gutted that I had given up breastfeeding something that I really loved doing, I hate myself for giving it up so easily, but I was in such a 'bad place' at that time I just needed to try something to make my son better.

Wish I had more support around me. I desperatly want to breastfeed no. 2 and am always reading these threads to educate myself.

Good on you for researching and trying something different, you must be an amazing mum !! x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.