February 07 Parents # 392

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
152 replies to this topic

#151 *maddierose*

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Will post properly later, still sick.

Heather, talk to the carers about your concerns and ask them to monitor and help him progress with friendships, this may mean the teacher has to join in play with Thomas and children he could befriend until Thomas is confident enough to play alone with them. It is really important that the teachers work on strategies now as when school starts the teachers are not in the playground interacting with the children.

I have had a little girl who is quiet and is a great drawer, i mean can draw better than some adults, she spends almost all of her time doing this and i thought it was because she genuinely loved it. Her mum has just recently made me aware that the little girl was going home and saying she draws so much because no one wants to play with her and she has no friends. I put a few strategies into place and within two weeks this little girls has developed  two really good friendships, she still draws (not as much though) but will now invite her friends to join her and also ventures to many other activities, including dramatic play, and group experiences which was an area she was to shy to participate in.  

If the mother hadn't had told me i wouldn't had realised this was how the little girl felt.

#152 ~Heather~

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Bel, I will bring it up with the classroom leader when I pick him up. I must say they are good at getting Thomas to join in on group activities and such, its more the 'free play' where he isnt confident enough to make friends. Doesnt help he has alot of loud boisterous boys in his class which Thomas labels as 'naughty boys' and he doesnt want to be friends with naughty boys.

#153 *maddierose*

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

That's where this little girl had problems, was free play time. All it took was carers to play more with her and two other girls to teach her how to use her social skills to the best of her ability.

Hmmm loud boisterous boys can be a scary thing to the quieter ones. The teachers will need to help him make a best friend. Maybe there is another little boy in the same predicament. How many days does Thomas go?  Are the majority of the kids 1 or 2  day a weekers or more full timers?

I have found with kids at work that the full timers or 3+ more day a weekers can think they own the place and often have more friends as they are there all the time. In this scenario i would find the quieter boys who come similar days and try to help them form a friendship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.