how was your DH/DP during your labour?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Sheree1985_*

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Dh was a little worried before we got to the hospital because I was procrastinating. I wanted to have a shower and still needed to pack my hospital bags. He was more worried that I would of had bub at home and he would of had to deliver her himself.

Once we got to the hospital he was thinking he knew everything and making jokes or telling me medical terms for things, "thinking he was the dr." He knows I hate my knees being touched o mid contraction to "take my mind off it" he decided it would be a great time to play with my knees. Well he knew about it then wink.gif He also reminded me that if it took more then 3 hours he was going to go for a walk around the hospital to talk to other people because he might get bored being in the same place for that long.

But in all seriousness he was his usual self, cool, calm and collected. He ended up delivering DD, cut her cord and was he first person to see she was a girl and tell myself, my mum and the midwives. He was a great support person and it was awesome to have him there, every step of the way, and it only took 90 mins so he didnt get to go and talk the ears of everyone in the hospital.

#27 Littleboysblue

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

He was way over my expectations with DS- he doesnt handle blood n guts too well so i was worried hed be all queasy and faint lol!
when my contractions first started he just let me do my thing( pace the house) and got annoyed hwne i got in the way of the first episode of underbelly rolleyes.gif  but when he realised things were moving fast he was great- heated up wheat packs, packed the bags, called my mum and got me to the birth centre!
Once at the hosp he never left my side and sat in the bath with me etc
even when Ds was crowning he watched and cut the cord (which he swore he wouldnt do!!)

i was pretty much in the zone from the start and didnt need help with staying on track etc but i think if i needed that comfort and guidance he could do it!

#28 Alina0210

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

Bored... LOL.. he says labour is long and boring and only get interesting when the baby is early there..

Thats why i have a doula... and also i had 2 babies at home which helps as DH can go on the computer, kitchen, set up etc.. .

#29 EmAyEm

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

In the earlier stages, he snoozed on the recliner, kept going for walks outside and chatting on the phone (he hates hospitals!!) but once we got to the business end he was awesome and did everything he could to help me out.

#30 premmie-29-weeks

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

He was fantastic....

I went into labour in the afternoon and by midnight I insisted he go sleep on the couch so he could get some rest. He ran me a bath and left me to it to get a few hours sleep. Everytime I called the hospital he would jump up and listen to the conversation. Once we were at hospital he held my hand thru the EPI being put in and asked lots of questions. I thought he wouldget queasy at sight of blood etc but he watched the whole thing and cut the cord once DS was born. He held my legs and helped guide me through the pushing too which was fantastic...could have asked for a better birthing partner or husband come to think of it!

#31 Guest_rockyroads_*

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

He was annoying but I think it was more my mood than his. He tried to rub my back and do all the things you are supposed to do but I just didn't want to be touched. I remember the nurse asking him to grab a gas mask for me from some cupboard and it took him forever. I was like "hurry the hell up!" and thinking "why did you have to ask him to get it?"  He is awful at finding things and is just never in a rush.

Edited by rockyroads, 09 February 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#32 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Asleep.

NOT impressed  wacko.gif

#33 opethmum

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Went in for induction and then nothing, I sent him home to get some rest to be really good at the business end of things. I went in to labour early in the morning and I was free to do my thing which I liked very much. I then had him turn up at the agreed time and that is when things really turned up and I needed him. He was calm and collected and reassured me when I needed it. Things did not go to plan and ended up having an emergency caesar that night and things went smoothly and he was there for me when I needed him the most.
I would not want to change a thing about the process as he was a superstar when it counted the most.

I hope your DH/P is a superstar and that you have a great birthing experience and all the best for the coming delivery of your bundle of joy.

#34 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

DF was fantastic. With DD1 he kept calm, kept offering me water through contractions, cut the cord and then tears welled up in his eyes as he held her for the first time.

DD2 he was great again although the labour was a third in length as the first time. The nurse didn't believe DD2 was crowning and I threw DF's head between my legs to show him. I expected him to freak out but he calmly called the nurse over and informed her DD was coming NOW!

#35 *BellBird*

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Mine was terrific, much better than I had thought he would be. We had a doula (mostly as I wasn't sure how DP would go) but between DP and the doula I had acupressure applied for every. single. contraction. for 8 hours (they were close together too). He had sore thumbs the next day...poor blossum  laugh.gif

#36 JaneMummy

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Calm, patient, understanding, my advocate and my rock.  I couldn't have asked for more.

#37 TotesFeral

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

DF was great. I even managed to get a foot rub out of him while I was in labour.
Mum was there as well so that was good that I had the support from both of them.
He did have a bit of a snooze but so did I as I had an epidural after I completely freaked out about there being some complications.

Only annoyance was they kept eating chocolate and other goodies! I was not allowed as they were positive I was going to end up with a c section. Well I proved them wrong!  tongue.gif

He watched the whole birth, held my hand and was just completely in awe of me and his daughter  wub.gif

#38 chrisl

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

Fantastic. I pretty much held onto him both times through the first stage. Second time round they broke my waters and I was being constantly monitored lying on the bed with my waters leaking out of me. It was so uncomfortable and they left us on our own and I was complaining about it and my husband went ahead and changed my sheets for me. It was revolting but actually, it was such a a tender moment. I remember saying how it was a bit gross and he was joking about how I can change his pants for him when we are in the old people's home. I don't know how but we were making jokes through both labours. I said about 200 times (both times) that I just couldn't do this and he was so calm and collected both times, just kept telling me I could do it. He's a medical person but he stood back both times and the midwives wouldn't have known unless I had told them. He also stuck to the birth plans and told the midwives what I wanted when I was out of my head in pain and couldn't speak! He took it a bit far second time round when I was struggling so bad after being induced that I wanted pethidine. Because pethidine wasn't in the "birth plan" he was piping up next to the bed, "Oh she'd really prefer not to." I told him to shut the ### up (poor love). The midwife sort of looked at him and patted him on the hand and said, "I think she's having it dear." I actually feel a bit sorry for the blokes, they can be made to feel a bit superfluous by some of the midwives.

#39 mustangshelly

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

With DD1 he peed me off no end.  I was induced on the Saturday (pre-eclampsia) and was in labour for 26 hours and delivered Sunday night on father's day.  He took his sweet time getting to the hospital on Sunday and was later told that he was enjoying a nice father's day breakfast at the coffee club.  Mind you I didn't get anything to eat from Saturday lunch time until Monday breakfast.  Wasn't impressed.  His mobile phone kept going off constantly with people ringing and texting.  If I could have gotten hold of the phone I would have broken it.  I told him constantly to turn it off and so did the midwife but he ignored me.  I found it really offputting when I was trying to concentrate (contractions where one on top of the other without a break).   And then, on top of that, he got to eat my favourite dinner of all time, veal cordon bleu, which the midwife wouldn't let me eat as I hadn't delivered DD1 yet.  We had an agreement for him not to go to the business end and he respected my wishes (mind you he didn't want to see it anyway).  He left the room for a minute after DD1 was born and came back to them stitching me up and he saw it and his face went pale and he nearly passed out or threw up, lol.  I still remember the look on his face to this day.    

When DD1 was born he wouldn't even hold her as he was too scared, which is kind of funny.  Whenever he held her he held her on a pillow so he wouldn't drop her.    

DD2, he was asleep on the floor.  Went naturally with DD2 and contractions were constant without a break so was glad he wasn't annoying me.  I did remind him this time about his phone and it didn't annoy me this time.  He may as well not have been there until after DD2 was delivered.  I was in the zone.  Had a heap of trouble after giving birth and he was amazing.

Best of luck with everything.  

Cheers,
Michelle

#40 Jekaho

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

My hubby was a champ - in the lead up he never said he was nervous or anything. He's pretty laidback. And throughout the labour he was fantastic - rubbing my back for 10 hours or so, encouraging, patient, calm etc.

However at about 11pm (after my active labour starting before 7:30am, and being at hospital since 10:30am) hubby started feeling woozy. He hadn't eaten all day, because of rubbing my back, and his blood sugar had plummeted. So he was on the couch with the ob and two midwives feeding him juice and whatever else. Which was pretty funny, but also worrying. Fortunately with the epidural I wasn't in pain!

Eventually bub wasn't coming out properly so it was a c-section, I got to theatre and he was dressed in the gear, but had to stay lying on the floor with his feet on a chair! When bub was born hubby got up to have a look at him as he was checked over. And was then told to lie down again straight after that.

So at a glance it makes it look like he was faint from all the 'gore' of it all - but really it was blood sugar! Poor guy! It's funny and a bit sad.

The classes will hopefully help you guys - we watched birth videos in ours so as well as all the information, it was helpful to get a better understanding of what exactly happens.

All the very best to you guys!

Edited by Jekaho, 21 February 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#41 Loze

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

He was just wonderful during both labours, but so much better this time around with the twins when we were really well prepared. It was a planned induction with syncto so pretty painful, but I was calm, the labour was fast but not out of control, and he stroked my back for 3 solid hours to keep me soothed and grounded!

#42 Accidental

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

DH was useless the first time, he slept on the couch all night, then watched tv during the business end until the midwife told him to turn it off. Then he read the paper!

The second time he was my rock - took me for walks around the halls, held me through each contraction, gave me drinks and ice and held the spew bag. I think teasing him about the first time really paid off  wink.gif

ETA: With DD2 he also gave the midwife a piece of his mind about her trying to fob off my request for an epi with the offer of mandarin aromatherapy oil instead. Grrr. He was my hero! (I did it drug free anyway - they didn't bother to call the anesthetist until DD2 was crowning.  huh.gif

Edited by theaccidentalhousewife, 21 February 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#43 Mumof2bubbaz

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

My DH was wonderful! I almost broke his fingers (literally) having to keep still through multiple contractions to have the epidural put in.

The only thing I didn't appreciate was him eating meals while I was in labour (because I already felt nauseous), but to be fair it did go on for a whole day and you can't really expect him to go hungry!

Rowena

#44 STB4

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

DH was brilliant during the first half. I had a backache labour and he massaged my lower back for over 3 hours. However, when I asked for the epidural he basically had a sulk, right when I needed him the most. He went off in to the corner and stayed there for quite some time. I wasn't impressed. During the pushing stage I found him incredibly encouraging and in the days and weeks following DD's birth he was really great.

#45 White-Lily

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

My labour was quicker than expected so DH was sent home for the night but for the time he was with me he was fantastic. He helped me change positions, reminded me of the things i wanted so i didnt make my decisions based on my pain at the time, held the showerhead over my back and let me squeeze his hands before he gave me something else to hold onto (he says i almost broke his hand!).

He even 'watched' DD being born after looking down there a few times while DD was crowning (which he was sure he wasnt going to do) and he cut the cord.
Next time i think he wants to 'catch' the baby if he can

#46 ***Athena***

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

EXDP was crappy!! She lay on the couch with a blood nose for a few hrs and watched TV and ate, and was generally unhelpful. Did not advocate for me re my birth plan, and did not assist me into the birthing positions I wanted. She was trying to hard to be nice to the hospital staff and forgetting that I was in labour!!!! rolleyes.gif

Thus the EX lol

Next time round will be a hell of a lot different.

#47 ~river song~

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

DH was excellent. He is very good at reading me and figured out pretty quickly not to touch me, not talk to me unless it was really necessary, and to put the water bottle to my mouth between each contraction. He was very informed on our "birth plan" (if you could call it that) so he was able to be my advocate and make sure some things still happened the way we wanted such as delayed cord clamping, no forceps for example, which was great cause my mind was somewhere else completely, I didn't even realise DS was out and on my chest for a second laughing2.gif

#48 busy_bee

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

When I was in medical school doing my obstetrics rotation, the midwives would often relegate us med students to 'looking after the woozy father!'
I have caught many a man, rescued many a camera and taken over the video cam.
My fav ever was the poor guy who fainted forward and landed on his wife mid contraction
Her reply was priceless....."Of for F's sake Barry(made up name), you would think after 5 kids you would have your s**t together"
Apparantly he fainted in every delivery!

#49 RachealJane

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Buggylicious @ 02/02/2011, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He just sat there silently on a stool next to me, I didn't want to be touched or talked to so he was perfect original.gif

This for me too. He also kept my face washer wet for me about every 15 mins. Thats all i needed from him.

#50 md86

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (busy_bee @ 18/03/2011, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was in medical school doing my obstetrics rotation, the midwives would often relegate us med students to 'looking after the woozy father!'
I have caught many a man, rescued many a camera and taken over the video cam.
My fav ever was the poor guy who fainted forward and landed on his wife mid contraction
Her reply was priceless....."Of for F's sake Barry(made up name), you would think after 5 kids you would have your s**t together"
Apparantly he fainted in every delivery!

roll2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.