November 04 Parents # 697

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#26 *Caro*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

would you like to be my personal trainer, SS?? laughing2.gif

#27 Snagglepussed

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

I know this is going to kill me to say, but prob worse for you - but no alcohol for say 4-5 weeks??
Oh you know me too wel! OK......(puts hand up) I love my alcohol! I do know it's my downfall as I really don't eat that badly but 13 years in Italy have turned me into a wine lush! LOL

#28 dippinsniffer

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Agree, lots of fish, veggies, fruit, grain/legume stuff, some meat, MUCH smaller portions, drinking lots of water, walks every day and you will see a difference yyes.gif . But easier said than done.

Edited by dippinsniffer, 24 February 2011 - 06:17 AM.

#29 *Caro*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm pleased to say I've had some real progress in kicking my chocolate habit.  thank god!  rolleyes.gif   I have no willpower in pregnancy and early breastfeeding, but I'm starting to get back on track now and it feels much better.  I haven't completely cut out sweet stuff, but I'm having far less and enjoying what I do have a lot more.  A little square of chocolate feels like a treat to be enjoyed now, rather than something I *need*, to be followed by another half a block of the stuff!!

I have lost a fair bit of weight (remember, I had a lot of pregnancy weight to lose - about 20kg).  I think a lot of that can be attributed to breastfeeding and the fact that Hugo has shown no interest in solids whatsoever!

As for giving up alcohol... well, I have just rediscovered it! I made myself a very nice Cosmopolitan last night after I got Hugo to sleep, and it was damn fine!!  biggrin.gif

QUOTE (manhattan @ 13/02/2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Caro, so do you own 8 carseats now, too?! biggrin.gif

I need to stick my toe back into the posting waters. Just feeling crazy busy all the time!

xx

I think we own about 10, actually!  wink.gif

#30 dippinsniffer

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

original.gif Caro, I just read your by-line "More carrot sticks".

Edited by dippinsniffer, 24 February 2011 - 06:17 AM.

#31 pixiefish

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

hey girls, I did try and post today, but after the kids and all their after school activities and dinner and shower, I can't finish this post.

caro - must say that i found the fact that you have two people movers interesting as we are having that conversation now.... IF we need two of them or can we get away with a smaller one. Can i ask which car you got for the 2nd one?

Reading and thinking of you all xx

#32 *Caro*

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

we got a short wheel base Kia Carnival. So sexy laughing2.gif

#33 Snagglepussed

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

The solution is so simple but so difficult to put into practice
Yup that about sums it up! It IS easy and when I do get on the straight and narrow I go "What an eejit.......I could have done this ages ago"..... I am really good but the alcohol doesn't help!

Although I did have a fried dinner.....pesto crumbed chicken breast and vegies! Yummo!  

OK....more carrot sticks to you all and to me! Cheers!

#34 dippinsniffer

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:53 AM

Ok, bye original.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 24 February 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#35 Snagglepussed

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

OK Dip we can have a challenge! I will be your eat healthy buddy ok?

I have a theory that I may research if I get to Hons year! The old Fight & Flight syndrome! You know how some people (AKA ME) put on weight when stressed and this has been shown to be directly correlated to the the F&F syndrome....we store body fat as we may need to fight or flee and won't know where our next meal comes from????? Well those people who lose weight when stressed.......are they on a lower "coping" level than I.....as in, maybe they (in ancient times) were reliant on the "stronger" of the tribe to ensure that they get fed thus stress could affect them to such an extent that they didn't store fat on their bodies! Just a small thought I had on the way into work today fighting a mild "anxiety" attack that is gripping me.... Grrrrrrr ........ Can just envisgae all the fat cells running to my middle as I type this! ARRRGGHHHH
Anyway it sound silly but I think I am onto something here and as I am doing a Research unit this semester I may use this as my assignment research example..... what do you guys think?????

Am I onto something?

Edited by Girolama, 15 February 2011 - 09:04 AM.

#36 SportySpice

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

we store body fat as we may need to fight or flee and won't know where our next meal comes from????
?

Kim as women we will store more body fat then men as we need to protect our "reproductive organs" and that area... we will also store body fat if we fall pregnant - while you still have AF you can still get utd - because of the feast/famine thingy, we also store body fat more than men as chemically our fat is made up differently to men, they will "loose" their fat more easily than us.  Part of it is biological as to why.

People who exclude fat from their diet completely aren't going to lose fat quicker, they will lose it but much slower as the body does go - "well you ain't giving me any fat, I'm not going to burn it coz I need it"... need it to protect, and it helps keep the body warm.

Studies have shown that your body only needs 10-15gms of fat PER day to work efficiently.  If you aim to keep your fat intake to 15-20 grams - which is do-able - you will loose weight fairly quickly and also get into good eating habits.  You need to read the fat per grams PER SERVE on things you buy.  It's hard at first but when you get the hang of it you can sort of start to "guestimate" how many grams of fat are in things, etc Mars Bar 11gms, big mac 26gms - go the mars bar.......

there used to be a little booklet called (i think) The Fat and Fibre Counter and you could get it at the newsagents and it was just a little pocket book - had great info in that - I'll see if I can find mine....!

hope this helps!

#37 *Caro*

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'm always going to have trouble keep my weight down because I read SS's post "...good eating habits ... keep the fat intake down... blah blah... GO THE MARS BAR!"  All I can hear is "go the mars bar!"  I am doomed roll2.gif

#38 *Caro*

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Kim, I meant to say before that I think your uni topic sounds good!  Very interesting. I remember watching a doco last year when I was pregnant with Hugo and stressed at work (because of my boss). I can't remember much about it, except it involved monkeys, stress and back fat.  I know I sat there thinking "Righto boss, not only have you stressed me out and stressed my baby out, but now you've given me back fat too! This has gone too far now!!!"  rant.gif Tounge1.gif

#39 pixiefish

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

caro - so does that mean you have 2 x kia carnivals?

So tired after work/groceries/school pickups/swim class x 3/homework x 2/spanish revision x 2/ parent teacher school meeting x 1*sigh*

and all this get-fit carrot talk, I think I might just have a big milo original.gif

xx

Edited by pixiefish, 15 February 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#40 *Caro*

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm eating a maccas sundae laughing2.gif

I'm wrecked too Pix.  I have loaded and unloaded the boys into the car about 15 times today, and the same yesterday.  School and preschool drop off, half days at preschool so early pick up, shopping, swimming lessons, doctors appointments.  Who knew school aged kids were going to be this much hard work? shrug.gif  I want to go back to work for a break!

Yeah, we have Kia Carnival and a Kia Grand Carnival Tounge1.gif

Edited by *Caro*, 15 February 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#41 pixiefish

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

Go the Carnis!

#42 dippinsniffer

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

Caro and Pix, yes, that's all busy. Caro, half-day pick-ups followed by picking up the full-day kids takes alot out of the afternoon. Bit like what Kylie did (or still does?). And all that strapping in cars again and again and again! A pain in the left butt cheek, I tell ya!

Kim, it would be interesting to look into as I don't know about that hypothesis. Yes, I've heard of 'fight or flight' as that's well documented, related to the sympathetic nervous system, adrenalin & hormones, I know SS's views are true about why/how women store fat and I know that some people eat more when stressed so they put on weight and some eat less so they lose weight (which is in the realms of psychology, I think), but I have not heard of that all being related to each other so it would be a good topic to research original.gif .
So regardless of food-intake, is the stress hormone 'cortisone' (or other hormones affected by or affecting stress) involved in fat build-up. I think that's what you mean? Stress leading to weight-gain without increased food intake?

Edited by dippinsniffer, 24 February 2011 - 06:19 AM.

#43 SportySpice

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

I love you Caro!  You make me laugh - have another Mars Bar!!!   biggrin.gif

and Pix and Caro - you guys are doing enough "incidential" exercise/movement - Caro with all the lifting and the running around of kids - and Pix ditto with a growing belly.... I'm exhausted listening to you!

I have to say that DH and I have been eating much better over the past few weeks - he's a little fatso... shhh ohmy.gif  and I could drop 4-5kgs to fit a little easier into clothing - but also 70% of the way you are is genetics - so you have to look at your folks and take that into account! ohmy.gif

Dip - when you heading to canberra?  i've missed something!  I have to head down soon - to the National Film and Archives.... my bro is 50 this year and they have some "stills" of when he was on It's Academic in 1979 and I have to go down there to sort through 100's of pics to find "him'..... thought it would be a neat b'day pressie for him!  Was also thinking of seeing Ballet Trusses..... and taking sgee - will have to think this through as I couldn't take her into the Archives for 5 hours (or more) of sitting through me looking for pics of her uncle! wink.gif

lots on over the next couple of weeks with fundraisers and stuff.

all good in the household!

hello to everyone
love to all xx

#44 dippinsniffer

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

biggrin.gif

Edited by dippinsniffer, 24 February 2011 - 06:20 AM.

#45 SportySpice

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

Dip - unforutnately not that w'end.... last Nippers for the season on Sun 6 and I have a very shushheeee event on Mon 7 with the "big fella" ..... huh.gif

have a Mars Bar with Caro for me though! wink.gif  biggrin.gif

#46 dippinsniffer

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Caro and I will be doing lots of sweet-eating together for sure original.gif .

#47 Snagglepussed

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

Stress leading to weight-gain without increased food intake?
Look no GP will EVER adhere to a statement of that magnitude BUT I do believe that the way the body metabolises food DOES change with stress levels......will have to research that one....there has to be some articles on that!

Anyway......it has me thinking! I DO know that the intake are the seeds we plant for the fat we sow but I am amazed at how some people pack on the weight when stressed without their intake increasing (AKA ME).....while others just fade away to nothing (I WAS like that when I was in my late teens)......

Oh well......trying to find a babysitter for Sat night as hubby is taking me out apparently....just what we need right now! original.gif

ETA - Pix - where are you kids doing Spanish? My girls have been in Italian after school classes for almost three years now but the teacher has changed this year and all the kids are togehter (not separated into levels) and Bec is finding it babyish and a waste of time! Grrrrr..... the two teachers last year were great......setting readers and homework and getting them speaking it ALL the class (2 hours)......HO Hum!

Edited by Girolama, 17 February 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#48 pixiefish

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

kim - they only do half hour before school once a week - small class of 5, not much but I do go over it with them every night and try to throw it into every day chatter. Not sure they would last a 2hr class, but I would love it if that were possible hmmm

#49 Snagglepussed

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

It's a non-negotiable in our house but if they doing baby stuff I may have to talk to them about it!

Bec is fluent and Alessia does understand everything even if she can't translate it to tell you what was just said (osmosis eh?) but I really want them to keep on top of it! May have to do some homework with them in the arvos. I did buy them some school books when we were there in July last year!

Hmmmm, am hankering for another Italy trip! Pity the funds won't stretch to that!  sad.gif Although it is FILs 70th this year so I would love for at least DH to go and surprise them but his birthday is 2 days after I am back home from a 3 day Res School for UNI which I can't get out of or I fail the course1 Grrrrrrr

#50 *Caro*

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Wow, 2 girls at school, and 2 boys asleep - I could get used to this!! Tounge1.gif

I would love for my kids to learn a language, but its not going to happen. I'm sad that MIL didn't teach any of her kids Korean mellow.gif   DH knows lots of Korean words for taekwondo and can count and things, but couldn't have a conversation.  So there isn't much point getting them tuition, because they couldn't practice it at home.  

I've been thinking, Kim, about what you said about not joining a gym.  I was seriously looking into it, but there is only one pretty dodgy gym near me, and the good ones are a 15-20 min drive away.  Couple that with school pick-up drop off, needing the settle the boys into the creche, finding a class on a time that suits, and it was all sounding like a huge time drain.  So I'm going to give it a month and see how I go exercising on my own.  My preferred exercise is walking anyway, so that is easy, esp as the weather has been mild.  I loaded the pram with the boys today and walked for 50 minutes up and down the hills behind school - I even ran some of the way!  And if the weather is crap, I have handweights, a treadmill, a Zumba DVD and a yoga CD at home.  So I must be able to do something!  

and Pix and Caro - you guys are doing enough "incidential" exercise/movement - Caro with all the lifting and the running around of kids - and Pix ditto with a growing belly.... I'm exhausted listening to you!
  I've been thinking about this too, SS, and whilst you are right, there is lots of movement going on, I find this stuff exhausting, whereas a good brisk walk makes me feel energised and fresh.  So I think I need some more proper exercise, so I can keep up with the incidental stuff, if that makes sense!

I'm actually really enjoying my get fit kick.  I feel really decadent when I go for a walk  ph34r.gif  It feels like something special, something for me, something selfish amongst all the bum wiping and washing.  And I really like thinking about it like that, rather than as something else I have to do because "I should".  I have enough shoulds!  This is because I WANT TO!  biggrin.gif  (It's working so far; when this stops working, I'll have to find some other motivation!)

Dip, I live about 5 minutes drive from Dickson.  Do you want to come here on the 7th or do you want to go somewhere like Questacon?  I'll have to pick up from preschool at 2.45.

Speaking of pickup, I'll have to go wake these boys up and get moving soon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.