• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 Chelli

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Hi everone,
New thread time original.gif

Here is a link to your last thread.

As always:

Please note: This thread is a supportive thread for people choosing not to vaccinate. There are many other areas of EB for people with opposing opinions to discuss them, so I would ask that this thread stays a supportive one. If you have any issues about this, please PM me.

Please also be aware information shared in this thread (and elsewhere on the EB forum) should not be relied upon as a medical fact and people should always get information from a qualified professional. However, given that this is a supportive thread, the validity or non validity of studies undertaken and results discussed, should be between the like minded members of this thread.

Kind regards
Chelli

#2 tjmama

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Jumping in first to say HELLO MICHELLE and Welcome biggrin.gif  (her post was in the previous thread)

#3 twomen

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hi,
Quick question for all the non-vac paremts. Apparently there has been a whooping cough outbreak at my son's school. Does this mean he will be excluded from school? (as he isn't vaccinated)
Thanks
Rachel

#4 tjmama

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hi Rachel,
Depends on your school's policy's. Alot of them say the unvaxed will be excluded if WC or Measles occurs.
If they contact you, then you'll know.

#5 twomen

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

thanks tjmama,
I will wait and see...has anyone reading had their child/ren excluded?

#6 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Even if it is not school policy (which I am sure it would be), I would choose to keep my kids home anyway and make sure I start upping their Vit C levels, getting plenty of sun at home (Vit D also necessary in bring up the immune system) and taking strong pro-biotics.  I wouldn't want to leave an unvaccinated (or even a vaccinated kid) at a school with a WC outbreak.

#7 *dingo*

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

(Long time lurker...I have a 5yr DD who is not vaccinated due to severe adverse reaction with her 3mth vax)

My Dd has been asked to stay at home during a WC outbreak. She also has been on AB's when exposed & before results of nasal swab come back. one time was in the clear the other not. This was at a small preschool.

Can I ask though, when you sent your child to 'Big School' did you tell just the office - ie Only written in the application form & that was it - or did you inform the teacher your child had, that they were not vaccinated? My DD's started school this year. I don't know who to actually tell or don't I tell? I have written it on the application, they have sighted the Immunisation Statement but it says she is up to date due to me having a CO Form.
TIA,
Jaki

#8 melapril

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

hi, i tried starting a new topic for this on its own but as usual it got highjacked by people who cant resist jumping in on the whole vaccination debate  and giving their opinions even when not asked for rolleyes.gif

my question is:

my kids are not vaccinated, and i am comfortable with my decision,  except tetanus.  my DS is always cutting himself, falling over etc and it does worry me.  so for those of you who dont vaccinate do you worry about tetanus at all?

thanks so much!

Edited by melapril, 05 March 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#9 tjmama

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

hi

dingo - I think the office is meant to take note of who 'is' and who 'isn't vaxed from the application form and they are meant to contact you when/if an 'outbreak' occurs.
In saying that, I've heard a few school's haven't bothered to contact the parents during an outbreak.
So I spose, its down to you. If you feel you want your child away during the 'outbreak' period, then pull him/her out and tell the school why.  Maybe ring the principle or office staff and tell them to make a note for when/if that situation occurs and what your wishes are.
KM said some good points with what to take to help boost your immune system etc. :-)

melapril - how typical that your new topic got swamped. Anything against the 'norm' and heaven help you/us. rolleyes.gif
No I don't worry about tetanus. I will send you some links about it.

#10 melapril

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

thankyou again tjmama.   i cant beleive how RUDE these people are, i mean, i was just asking for some info,  why do these people feel the need to bully someone if their opinion dosent match theirs!  

anyways,  im not even going to go back into that thread to read it, they can knock themselves out LOL  they can rant and rave to their hearts content original.gif   give them something to do, obviously they have too much time on their hands!

#11 Chelli

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hi guys,
Please leave issues from other threads out of this conversation as per site rules wink.gif
Thanks
Chelli

#12 tjmama

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

melapril - your welcome  wink.gif

#13 *dingo*

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thank you for your reply tjmama. She has a shocking immune system. I will go & have a re-read of KM's posts.
She is on AB's at the moment due to an infection from a mozzie bite. I loathe the AB path. I try to do everything else first before the Dr puts her on them due to me having built up a resistence to them due to over use when I was younger.
Thank you again.  original.gif
Jaki x

#14 tjmama

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Jaki,

If you must use them take heaps of vits and pro biotics to get your DD's immune system back up cause Ab's kill EVERYTHING and will leave your DD's immune system at an all time low which will leave her open for other illnesses/diseases.
In saying that, Ab's are great for killing infections/bugs etc. It will knock it on the head. Just be sure to build her immune system back up.

Here's what Km said -
upping their Vit C levels, getting plenty of sun at home (Vit D also necessary in bring up the immune system) and taking strong pro-biotics

Hope your DD feels better soon original.gif

#15 Lovelybubba

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi All,

I haven't been here before but found the link on another topic that is running around at the moment. I didn't even think there would be a topic for this .......

Anyway, I am expecting our little pink bundle to arrive in August. My brother died just hours after recieving his vaccination (at about 8 or 10 months - can't remember the details) and due to this the dr tried a 'small' amount of vaccine with me, which led to a reaction and I have therefore received no vaccines.

Obviously vaccinating our baby was a concern for me and I have come to the conclusion that I am not comfortable in any way with vaccinating our child. I am planning on keeping that information to ourselves, and will just fob off any family or friends that ask as
I know that everyone is very opinionated about this particular issue.

My concern is, I have heard a couple of rumours/stories about babies being given vaccines in the hospital contrary to the parent's wishes. I'm really worried about this because of the risk of reaction. Do you have any suggestions about ensuring that this doesn't happen, or am I being OTT?

Also, TJMAMA - can I please have the info about tetanus too? This is something I have worried about myself...

Edited by Lovelybubba, 16 May 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#16 *dingo*

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Well...as a follow on from my PP...I had a meeting with my girls teacher (They are twins) I think by the look on his face, I cemented the idea firmly in his brain that I am a trouble maker/hippie/over anxious parent... laughing2.gif
My DD's have a anxiety disorder. I had issues with the school in that 'they' wanted the girls separated & due to me 1. being their parent & know them quite well, 2. Their anxiety & well...3. being their parent & knwoing them...I argued for close to 2 months over the fact I wanted them together for Kinder. Then I had to speak to their teacher to let him know about said anxiety diprder & then told him that DD (the same one who isn't vaccinated) had Coeliac Disease & then I topped off his bulging eyes with "Oh & DD isn't vaccinated so I will have to be informed if there is any out break..."  Her sister is part vaccinated but we stopped as we become more aware of our choices & what was happening to her sister.
His solution ( go figure...LOL) was now she has her picture up in the staff room stating that she isn't vaccinated & needs to be sent home if there is any outbreak of a communicable disease...

#17 shatavari

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

[quote name='Lovelybubba' post='13188479' date='16/05/2011, 01:33 PM']Hi All,

My concern is, I have heard a couple of rumours/stories about babies being given vaccines in the hospital contrary to the parent's wishes. I'm really worried about this because of the risk of reaction. Do you have any suggestions about ensuring that this doesn't happen, or am I being OTT?

Congrats on your little bubba (on the inside).
I had one baby at home and one at the birth centre so perhaps my experience isn't completely aligned to what you might experience in a mainstream ward for a hospital birth but... For birth you expect baby to be offered/given Vitamin K and Hepatitis B. These are routine jabs. So you'd need to state in your antenatal visits that you decline these (if you don't want either given). If that's clearly in your file, and you may need to state that again after the birth, I don't see a problem. You do not have to accept these, even if they are routine.
I haven't given my kids any vaccs at all to date, they are now 4 and 5, and I'm happy with my decision. Kinder, child care and school have all been fine.
I suppose Vitamin K is not a vaccination as such so I don't know if you're thinking about it the same way as the others.

Edited by shatavari, 21 May 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#18 Chelli

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Please read the first post in this thread before continuing this conversation. This thread is not for discussing the immunisation debate, it is for supportive conversation between non vaccinators.

Thankyou

Edited to add:

I feel the need to also reiterate this statement:
Please also be aware information shared in this thread (and elsewhere on the EB forum) should not be relied upon as a medical fact and people should always get information from a qualified professional. However, given that this is a supportive thread, the validity or non validity of studies undertaken and results discussed, should be between the like minded members of this thread.

Edited by Chelli, 30 May 2011 - 08:53 PM.
add more information

#19 peppersmum

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

As I have said many times before, I am not a fan of the AVN and other websites/groups that have fear based information.

For those looking for some unbiased information to make informed decisions about whether to vaccinate or not I have found these two books really helpful:

The Vaccine Book by Dr Robert Sears

What your doctor may not tell you about childhood vaccinations by Stephanie Cave

Those are the cheapest prices online according to Booko!!

Edited to make sense given many posts were removed (thanks chelli).

Edited by peppersmum, 04 June 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#20 Chelli

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Once again I am asking for members who are posting in this thread to read the first post. I have removed posts that want to debate the validity of information in this thread. It's a supportive thread for people who choose not to vaccinate.

If you want to debate the validity of papers, research etc then please do so in another thread.
You are absolutely allowed to refute any of that information, but this thread is open as a supportive place for non vaccinators to discuss their experiences.

If you don't think you can adhere this, then please do not post in this thread. If you need further information, then please PM me.

The question of allowing any links to any medical research is now going to be referred to our legal team for advice. Until we hear back, ALL links are now going to be removed from this thread.

#21 leesie

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hi Ladies,
a couple of months ago i posted in the natural therapies section about my concerns regarding giving DD3 her 4 yr old immunisations. Most of the replies were negative and very unhelpful so i decided to post in here instead. I hope this is ok??
I have 3 DD's and the older 2 are fully vaccinated with no issues (that i know of). DD3 has been vaccinated with the exception of her 4 yr old needles. She is turning 5 next month and i am due to hand her school enrollment form in, so the time has come to actually get her vaccinated or not. In the last couple of years i have done a lot of reading on matters of health and have started to go down a more natural path when it comes to my and my children's health. I have come to realise that vaccines contain a lot of stuff I don''t want injected into our bodies. The MMR scares me in particular. I know that everybody says that the link between the MMR and autism has been disproven, but I am not convinced.
After DD3's first MMR, she got fevers and started having convulsions. She had 7 in a period of a year, one being non febrile. She has had EEG's and nothing has been found to cause them. I am not sure if the MMR started them or not, but I do not want to go there again. ALso, although she is not autistic and is developing pretty normally, she does have a few little tendencies, like she rocks back and forth while playing or watching tv on the floor, she can be obsessive and resistant of change. For a long time she threw the worst tantrums that went for hours, and it has only been in the last year, that she has settled down to become a well behaved and lovely little girl, and I don't want anything changing that. I know these things are all possibly unrelated to her previous needles, but my gut instinct is telling me not to get the MMR. Of course, my hubby and parents are all pushing me to get them done and everyone is telling me i would feel really bad if she were to get one of these horrible diseases, which of course i would, but is fear a good enough reason to go against my gut???
Opinions would be very welcome original.gif
Thanks
Lisa

Edited by leesie, 08 July 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#22 shatavari

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Lisa, it sounds like you really don't want to do this round of vaccinations. The paperwork is not a big issue as you can just put on the form the not fully vaccinated option. Then you can either delay the shots or not do them at all. However what might be an issue in my mind, is coming to an agreement between you and your husband. You mentioned he wants her to have them.
You said you'd already done quite a bit of reading. Both DTP and MMR are associated with increased rate of febrile seizures, DTP on the day of vaccination and MMR 8-14 days later. These are not thought to be harmful in the long run. Like a normal immune reaction to any virus eg.a cold or flu, the body fights it off using fever as a tool, it resolves. If fever gets very high there may be convulsions.
Recurring fevers or febrile convulsions would be a concern to me though as it suggests your body hasn't overcome it the first or second time. And 6 or 7 rounds in one year sounds a lot to me.
But you don't need to convince me, you need to work with your hubby. Can he consider the option of not doing this round a vaccinations?

#23 tjmama

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hiya Ladies!

I haven't been here for ages (can ya tell?) lol

Lovelybubba
Welcome to the group! And congrats on the upcoming pink bundle. biggrin.gif
re: Dr's/nurses vaxing children without consent.
I have heard of these stories too but my own personal experience has been good. The nurses have always asked if I wish for my child to have the Vit K or Hep B (in hospital) and you either decline or accept. You don't (and shouldn't) have to explain yourself. its a simple 'yes please' or 'no thankyou' and the nurse goes about her/his business. easy. original.gif I would keep little miss with you or your hubby just to make sure nothing like that happens. (not that it would (or should)
I will send you the tetanus link.
If you want to do some vax reading, head to your library there are some great books (fore and against vaxing) I read the one by Stephanie and its a good eye opener.

Lisai Welcome! And of course its okay to post in here! biggrin.gif
You have gut instincts for a reason! I've heard of a few ppl who's children have had fits while 'young' but eventually grew out of it...

[medial opinion removed by Mod]

Every Dr/nurse should hand parents the leaflet that comes with each vaccine (BEFORE vaxing) so the parent know exactly what toxins are going into their childs blood stream & so they are aware of all the lovely side effects & possible damages their child could end up with. I have NEVER been given this leaflet in the 5yrs I vaxed my DD/. (yep, I just went with the flow....did as I was told, didn't bother to plug my brain in and STOP and LOOK) *smacks head*
What scares your family about MMR? When was the last know case of it that they've seen? I've seen measles MANY times recently and guess who's had them... kids that have been fully vax! Infact I've seen most of the vaxed diseases in the fully vaxed. How are vaxes helping if the vaxed are getting the vaxed diseases?
[medical advice removed] Does the school require a Contentious Objector Form? You can download it from medicare's website.

Anyway, please PM if you would like anything else. I tend to ramble on (once I start, I don't shut up)

Are you guys on Facebook at all? If so, PM me, there are heaps of awesome pages that are very informative.

#24 I'm on a boat!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hi!

I thought I'd pop my head in here because it seems like the place to get a couple of answers I'm looking for.

DS1 (turning 4 in Nov) has has all his vax apart from the 18 month varicella, I believe it was still optional on the schedule when he was due to get it (may 2009) so I didn't need a CO form? I did receive the part immunization payment for him fine, however it comes up immunizations not up to date on his immunization record and drs computer?? I do receive CCB for him.

Also DS2 is due for his 18 month vax in a couple of weeks. He also won't be getting varicella. Am I right that I will need a CO form for him?

#25 tjmama

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I haven't been in your situation so can't say for sure.. but I wouldn't think you'd need a CO form just for exclusion from the chicken pox vax.  Alot of ppl opt out from having that vax. Best to ask your Dr though.  (and let us know what they say, if you can, if not, no biggie)

You'll need to find out why its coming up that he's not up to date.. maybe the Dr hasn't put thru that he's up to date or medicare may not have done it... things go missing when it passes from Dr to Medicare to Centrelink.  Abit of ringing around will sort that out.
You should get CCB for all of your kids.

HTH :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.