Non-vaccinated kids discussion #10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#26 Redneck Woman

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Guys

I'm Katy and I'm doing a research project on the pros and cons of immunisation.

Please feel free to PM me your story!
Any links would be greatly appreciated!

(I have been given the ok by Chelli)

Thanks Guys
Katy

#27 I'm on a boat!

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Ok, I've had a chance to call Medicare and it seems that I don't need a CO form for either child. Not having one won't affect any Family Assistance payments and even if I did get one filled out they would still show to be 'not be up to date' anyway.

#28 beastie

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

We have chosen to not vaccinated our DS. He is now 3.  However, after having a puncture wound he has just had his first vacc.  

He has been the healthist of our kids and his immune system seems so much stronger than my other kids. That said, after having WC and chicken-pox this year, I am going to put him on a delayed schedule. My mums guillt of him having preventable diseases (and seeing him so sick) and not wanting him to get measles or mumps  and due to him being older has led to this decision.  

We had no problems getting our GP to sign a CO form.

My 2DDs are not fully immunised and we have had no issues with the school.

Edited by beastie, 05 August 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#29 tjmama

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'm on a boat -
Didn't think you'd need an OC form.  Being vaxed or not should't affect your FTB.
thanks for getting back to us.  original.gif

Beastie -  You do what you feel is right. original.gif Sorry your DS has been sick. Please remember that vaxes will not stop you from getting the disease.  Vaxed and unvaxed kids still get these diseases.

Katy - What has made you start to ask Q's about vaxes?

edited for typos

Edited by tjmama, 05 August 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#30 bubba boo

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have a 6 month old ds who is on an alternate vaccination schedule. He had a low white blood cell count and problems processing bilirubin for the first few months. So we decided to use a version of the dr sears immunisation schedule and only get one needle at atime then the other a month later (we aren't getting rotavirus after he reacted to it and have to get hexa as it was too difficult to separate). The gp agreed that it would be fine and a good idea given his systems were slow to start. Ds just had his last 4 month injection and we were told by the gp that we couldn't keep doing the alternate schedule if we wanted to still get benefits e.g family tax. She said new research has showed it has no benfit delaying them. I rang up centrelink and they said they have to be up to date by 18 months or immunisation benefit could be delayed and ccb affected. What info is true? who do i believe? do i need to sign an objector form for the rota virus?  he will be up to date on our alternate schedule by 18 months and we don't use child care.

#31 shatavari

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

I know that there would be no reason to lose any benefits at all. This could only occur if you were classified as not up to date. But even if you decided to never give another vaccination, you could then put in your CO form, and you would be classified as up to date, as they know your status. So I'd say both Centrelink and your GP were unclear on this. And if they do check a child's status at 18 months as someone mentioned, you will have done them anyhow. I don't see a problem.

[medical opinion removed] Maybe your GP has been talking too much to the drug companies that might like to gloss over some of these details. You could try another one if you feel you aren't being heard.

#32 seepi

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Immunisation payment is a one off of around 200.00, and CCb is only relevant if you use childcare.

I'm not sure about ftb, but I hadn't heard it was related to immunisation.

Is this the same GP that came up with the delayed schedule for you? it seems wierd that they have suddenly changed their mind. Perhaps try a different GP - do you get the vaccinations at the actual GP?

A lady at my playgroup has done a delayed schedule of only one vaccination at once, and hasn't mentioned any problems with benefits.

#33 bubba boo

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

thanks i did think she didn't know what she was talking about. I'm definetly not changing my position on delayed immunisation, ds2's body just can only handle little bits at a time. I didn't know it helps with allergies but thats even more on my side as all my kids have dairy allergies. She wasn't the one who came up with the delayed schedule (I was the one who found it) but she was the one who approved of us using it , to the extent that she photocopied it to give to other mothers. I'll just stick to my position and tell her to recheck her info before scaring people as its very hard to find a gp even willing to give this stuff a go.

#34 tjmama

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

I don't vax my son and still get all Centrelink/FTB/CCB.
Sounds like typical scare mongering to me.
Holding off for as long as possible is alot better than cramming toxins into young little bodies. Obviously not doing at all is also a terrific option  wink.gif

Try finding a Holistic Dr, if you want more of a natural approach, that isn't vaccine driven.

edited for some crazy double post thing that happened lol

Edited by tjmama, 13 August 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#35 shatavari

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I'll just stick to my position and tell her to recheck her info before scaring people as its very hard to find a gp even willing to give this stuff a go.
Thanks for letting us know about the Dr.Sears schedule. I hadn't heard of it and will look in to it. How does it work? My impression was you couldn't separate many of our combined vaxes eg.DTP-P as they aren't available separately?

#36 *newmum*

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I saw that someone on this thread had info about tetanus?  Can you please send that to me?  I have 3 kids, 2 unvaxed and we are going o'seas end of the year and I am concerned (but also very uninformed) about tetanus and whether we need to get this done.

Also, has anyone here done homeopathic vaccinations?  If so, how long does it take to administer these - a friend said it takes about a year to completely give them.  Is this the only way?

Oh and to the pp about administering them in hospital without your consent:  I was very clear about my wishes which were to not give Hep shot and to give the vit k orally.  They understood the hep but gave DS the vit k as an injection.  I was quite disappointed about this but thankful it wasn't the hep b given by accident.  So yes, you need to be very clear about your permission regarding vaccinations.

#37 Sandra

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi ladies

I have removed a post from this thread, as this is a thread that is a support group and not an area for others to debate.

Regards

#38 peppersmum

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (bubba boo @ 12/08/2011, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 6 month old ds who is on an alternate vaccination schedule. He had a low white blood cell count and problems processing bilirubin for the first few months. So we decided to use a version of the dr sears immunisation schedule and only get one needle at atime then the other a month later (we aren't getting rotavirus after he reacted to it and have to get hexa as it was too difficult to separate). The gp agreed that it would be fine and a good idea given his systems were slow to start. Ds just had his last 4 month injection and we were told by the gp that we couldn't keep doing the alternate schedule if we wanted to still get benefits e.g family tax. She said new research has showed it has no benfit delaying them. I rang up centrelink and they said they have to be up to date by 18 months or immunisation benefit could be delayed and ccb affected. What info is true? who do i believe? do i need to sign an objector form for the rota virus?  he will be up to date on our alternate schedule by 18 months and we don't use child care.

Yes just sign a CO form and continue on your delayed schedule  original.gif

QUOTE (shatavari @ 16/08/2011, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll just stick to my position and tell her to recheck her info before scaring people as its very hard to find a gp even willing to give this stuff a go.
Thanks for letting us know about the Dr.Sears schedule. I hadn't heard of it and will look in to it. How does it work? My impression was you couldn't separate many of our combined vaxes eg.DTP-P as they aren't available separately?

No you can't separate vaccines here in Australia unfortunately.  It would just be a matter of doing it slower and when they are a little older, although if you wait too long many of the diseases that are fatal for infants really don't have the same danger in older children.  Robert Sears explains it well in his book "The Vaccine Book", he is pro vaccination but explains it all in a very unbiased way so you can make an informed decision on what vaccinations you think are necessary.

QUOTE (*newmum* @ 22/08/2011, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, has anyone here done homeopathic vaccinations?  If so, how long does it take to administer these - a friend said it takes about a year to completely give them.  Is this the only way?

We haven't done them, my DH is a qualified homeopath (doesn't work in the field at present) and doesn't believe in homeopathic vaccination, but even if it isn't effective (who knows it might or might not be) it isn't dangerous (but it's still important to treat the disease if it arises anyway).  My DH studied under Isaac Golden who is the main homeopathic vaccination homeopath in Australia.  He would be able to give you more information about it if you want it, here is his website: http://www.homstudy.net/

#39 raven74

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Great link Peppersmum.  DH is also a homeopath (herbalist, kinesiologist - the list goes on!).  Neeedless to say, we do not vaccinate and have not done so homeopathically either - given that homeopathics are not for prevention.  I believe it is a long schedule.
I gotta say, I have had no immunity issues - she's the healthiest kid I've seen.  Even starting daycare didn't give her the usual "sick all the time" thing.  I wonder if it's related? After all, her little immune system isn't havign to deal with all those foreign antibodies.
For those with tetanus questions (not really pertinent to overseas travel though) my experience is this:  I have anaphylaxis to tetanus, had one, had a nasty reaction, never had one again.  Over the years I have stepped on rusty nails, cut myself on rusty tin, been badly bitten by cats (vet nurse) and had horses for as long as I can remember.  Basically a great environment for tetanus!  The plan of action was always antibiotics in the cases of a nasty injury and the cat bites.  Never had an issue.  
Surprisingly, we have been met with quite a lot of support for our choice.  It has amazed me.

#40 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

Well it's been ages since I've popped my head in to EB and I forgot how much I love it! wub.gif

Anyway.... wink.gif

Re: Vit K / Hep B w/o permission

Don't be complacent.  My DD was given Vit K at birth without consent.  
They did it without asking, as she was delivered before I even had a chance to object.
When I said to the Dr "No Vit K injection please" before the cord was even cut it was too late.

I think Hep B would be a bit better because it's a few days later but I'd still be very clear on your wishes up front and watch every nurse that goes near bubs ... especially if they come in with a resus trolley (which is of course required for Hep B vax) original.gif .

#41 trayc

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

immunisation and ftb taken away

i am for immunisation but i thought i would share this with you all

i think that is totally wrong and its parents choice whether they want to immunise there children,  both my children are but parents choice not governments ,  i dont think forcing parents to immunise is good

#42 shatavari

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

The headline "immunise or lose benefits/FTB taken away" looks to be a little misleading.
You can still choose to not vaccinate but need to have the paperwork lodged (ie.CO form gives an approved exemption) to be considered up to date, then full benefits are available.

"To meet the immunisation requirements, children will need to be ‘fully immunised’, be on a recognised immunisation catch up schedule, or have an approved exemption." - immunise.health.gov.au  Last updated 24 November, 2011.

#43 Imaginary friend

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

I dont usually come into this section as I am not anti vaccination - but just on this issue - the changes to FTB will not affect non vaccinators - if you lodge a CO or a medical exemption - depending on reason for non-vaccination - then FTB will not be affected.
No different to rules for immunisation allowance now, in that respect.

#44 peppersmum

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Just wondering if there are others out there who have had to choose to vaccinate (either fully or partly) due to changes in your lifestyle that you believe doesn't fit with being non-vaccinated?

Our 3rd child was our first non-vaccinated child and we were able to fully follow my necessay environmental factors to feel confident in a non-vaccinated stance eg. no day care until 2yrs, fully breastfed (extended), great diet, only use of natural thetapies etc.  With our 4th baby I have to return to work sooner as financially we just cannot live on one income. When I had DD2 my DH was working a flexible job with a roster when I returned to work so no need for day care. With DD3 he is in a mon-fri job and even though my mum can take DD3 one day a week, I have to put her in day care for the other 1-2 days. Whooping cough is rampant in our town right now and I just don't feel confident not vaccinating as I did for DD2. If the vaccine was only whooping cough I wouldn't have such an issue but it's 3 in 1 and I don't want the other vaccines for her.

Anyway my gut says to start the first lot of the triple antigen now so she's had one dose before she starts day care in Feb (she will be 8mths), but I keep changing my mind. It's only whooping cough I am concerned about ...

Anyone have any advice?

Edited by peppersmum, 09 December 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#45 szj

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ladies, PLEASE give me strength.

I went to the Dr yesterday (you know where I am going with this don't you!!). My DS, 16mths had had fevers for 3 days and was covered in a rash and I was very worried.
My usual GP was not avail so I took the soonest appoint.
WELL!!!!
This Dr thought it her place to give me the lectre about choosing not to immunise our children. She did not ask as to what my reasons were. She just jumped on me telling me that I should not base life choices on  internet reports (I haven't!!) and that I need to do more research as if I did I would realise the risks I was putting my children in.
I was shaking my head the whole time. What didn't help is that I was scared of Ds's rash, I was SO freaking tired and therefore these 2 together I was weak and teary.
I was about to tell her the babis for our decision, where I have got my info from and where to shove her advise. Instead she very abruptly stood up, announced DS had "rosiela" (a virus) and he didn't need and medication.
I stayed seated and said  that's great as he has had 2 doses of anti0biotics for chest infections and I was hoping to aviod them as it was only 5mths ago. SHe replied "Oh that's ages ago, he could have another lot woth no effects!
As I left her office, in front of a crowded waiting room she said, "now you go read more about those immunisations"
I stopped, turned and replied "You know I won't!"

My DH is FURIOUS!!!!

SO.........how would you/do you respond to such comments, honestly only my Mum and MIL know the kids are not vaccinated, I just avoid the topic if I can, I NEED to find more COMMITTMENT and strength in my responses
can you help???

#46 shatavari

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

It's never nice to feel disrespected and not listened to.

What could you have said to the Dr? You could answer depending on your mood. From serious to not:

A. I'm really just worried about the rash today. I can come back and discuss his general health another time if you think we should?

B. Yes, there is a lot to weigh up, our family history and risk factors and all...Yes, I've looked into it quite a lot and spoken with my usual doctor.

C. I can forward you some studies if you like.

D. I've gotta go, I'm late for an appointment with my psychic healer.

#47 szj

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

LOL!!!!
OPTION D!!!!

I've gotta go, I'm late for an appointment with my psychic healer.

I am thinking this is the best!!

SERIOUSLY!!!! Perhaps this is the best angle to take...Screw them!!

I have ordered som emore reading materials to get more one liners!
My Mum works in pharmacy was NOT into anything natural until I turned into a "hippy" (her words!) and now she questions EVERYTHING......she sees the lavish lunches these immunisation companies put on for the Dr's!!!

ANYONE ELSE HAVE SOME COMEBACKs???

#48 peppersmum

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Interestingly enough I haven't had any comments as yet.  My doctor has asked me and didn't say much (when we had DD2 who is our first non-vaccinated child), the MCHN asked but all I got was a "Are you vaccinating your DD2 or will you choose homeopathic vaccination?" (she knew DH is a homeopath and she's very supportive of informed choices and alternative choices).  I also had a visit to emergency with DD2 a few months ago when she fell off a chair and split her head open, the triage nurse asked if she was vaccinated, I said No and that was it.

The only 'trouble' I've had is with my dad and with the WC outbreaks, he has been very concerned as he loves granddaughters and was concerned with all the news stories last year.  I just kept talking to him about our choices and agreed to be 'careful' with where I took DD3 when she was a newborn (he would have had me take her no where!).

Anyway I am not sure if cheeky answers are the best reply, for myself I would just say "I have made an informed decision to not vaccinate" and leave it there and not engage it anything else?  shrug.gif

#49 Imaginary friend

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

she sees the lavish lunches these immunisation companies put on for the Dr's!!!

Really??

Wow, Ive worked at a Dr's surgery for several years and no-on has put on lavish lunches for any of the Dr's or nurses - there are really strict rules about this sort of thing, the drug companies are not even allowed to give out pens any more.

#50 szj

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

My Mum has worked in pharmacy for over 35 years and has seen it all come and go.
My BIL's BIL works for a drug company and the stories he tells are just plain scary. It is not uncommon for Dr's to have shares in different drug companies, therefore, in MY opinion, vested interested in the growth of these companies.
Yes, I was certainly venting, this was NOT my GP, I had to see another Dr urgently in relation to my son's rash and temp. I see no reason for this 'casual to me' Dr to treat me in such a manner, esp as on my son's notes it  states that it had been discussed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.