Keeping my legs crossed.
Yeah, I've got complications

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 prue~c

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

This blog entry was meant to be about the difficult decision of what to do with any remaining frozen embryos, but instead it is coming direct from my room at the Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick, where I am a guest until further notice.

My waters broke last Friday night, just hours into my maternity leave. I had left the office with a long list of things that needed doing, and less than 10 hours later found myself legs aloft in hospital, probably to stay here for the remainder of my pregnancy.

It's just bizarre the way it all unfolded. Friday I had an ultrasound to check for growth, which my midwife attended, and I recall bragging about how I had managed thus far to avoid so many “yucky” pregnancy things, like stretch marks, haemorrhoids and bladder leakage.

The babies were also measuring perfectly on schedule, for singleton babies, at about 1500 grams each. I had a bit of an “oh no” moment at this news, reminded once again of my great aunt who held some kind of record in the 1940s for birthing twins weighing over 11 pounds in the old money, sans drugs of course.

But of course, now, they can't be big enough.

I had been feeling fine.  A little tired, and more than ready to finish up at work, but with lots of stuff still to do. My brother in law was here Friday to help my husband move stuff out of what is meant to be the babies' room over the weekend, and while the boys had gone to the pub to watch the cricket, I had settled in with a pizza and the last few episodes of True Blood. I went to bed before they got home, and not long after I laid down, I felt a definite trickling sensation. All I could think was how pointless my rigorous pelvic floor exercises had been, and had visions of discreetly buying Poise Panty Liners – for light bladder leakage, or LBL as Kimberly-Clark has acronymised it – at the supermarket the next day.

But the trickle turned to a gush as soon as I got up for the loo, and the visions of discreet Poise pads turned into full pant Depend undergarments. I laid in bed for several hours, furiously trying to hold back the tide with pelvic floor exercises and half a roll of toilet paper wedged in my undies, to no avail. By now, my husband and brother in law had arrived home, and while the thought that it might not be my bladder had briefly crossed my mind, I wasn't about to walk out to the lounge room and ask him, in front of his little brother, to smell my panties “What do you think darling?? Wee or amniotic fluid?”

But by six in the morning, I couldn't ignore it any longer, and duly got up and drove to the hospital where, after a quick prod and poke, the membrane rupture was confirmed. We think it's Twin A, “the naughty twin” who was responsible. I was worried about the poor thing drying up and shrivelling away in there, but the doctors and midwives reassured me that they actually keep manufacturing amniotic fluid, so the levels stay up, but the drip, drip, drip, alas, doesn't stop.

I have been pumped full of steroids to mature the babies' lungs, and as I write this, five days in, the medicine I was taking for the first few days to stop the very mild contractions I had seems to be working. I am also on antibiotics to stave off any infection which is the big worry.

But it looks like I am here in hospital in for the long haul, hopefully. The membranes broke at exactly 29 weeks, which isn't great. I'll let you, dear readers, Google the survival rates and issues that come with having early babies, but I have had a few chats with the pros, and despite it not being all bad news, I am going to keep my legs crossed as long as possible thank you very much.

As everyone keeps reminding me, I am in the best place probably in Australia for this sort of care. Everyone here – midwives, doctors, consultants, tea ladies and cleaners – has given me exemplary attention, and been completely honest and open about my care and prognosis. My hotel suite, as my husband calls it, is more than adequate and now that I am hooked up to the world –  I have the internet – I'm not really wanting for much at all.

And the food, despite my first day confrontation with “square eggs” really isn't that bad. I am lucky enough to regularly enjoy eating at Sydney's finest hatted restaurants and by my own admission am a shocking food snob, but you know this morning, nothing could have tasted better than the dry, overcooked poached egg on cold rubbery toast with a cup of lukewarm tea.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Edited by prue~c, 03 March 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#2 Puggle

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

Wishing you all the very, very best Prue. May you have weeks and weeks of square eggs ahead of you.

Edited by Puggle, 03 March 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#3 cinnabubble

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

Legs crossed for you, Prue! I hope the babies settle in for the long haul.

#4 Sentient Puddle

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Wishing you a very long and boring stay Prue.  I have my legs crossed for you as well.  

#5 pen*

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Had my twins at the same hospital and know that you are in a very good place.  The staff there err on the side of caution to the point you want to throttle them sometimes.  i will keep everything crossed for you too.

I also work at one of the hospitals on campus so if you need anything and are really stuck pm me.
cheers,
pen

#6 *Lib*

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (Puggle @ 03/03/2011, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wishing you all the very, very best Prue. May you have weeks and weeks of square eggs ahead of you.

biggrin.gif best of luck Prue, I hope the rest does you good, and the babies stay nice and comfortable for a few weeks yet!

#7 Rosabella

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Oh Prue, after everything you have already been through this is just cruel.
I have everything crossed for you and wish you a long boring stay in hospital original.gif
Take Care xoxo

#8 Wut??

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I shall cross my fingers and legs for you, dear Prue!

#9 kitty005

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

goodluck with the remainder of your pregnancy, which is hopefully a fair bit longer yet!  my waters broke at 31 weeks exactly and 6hrs later I had a baby, no time for the steriods to work at all - it was a tough journey through nicu but we got through it and we were fortune that DS has done well.  With a bit of luck you'll make it much further along, but as i'm sure you're aware, every day counts and is a victory for you and the babies.

best wishes

#10 goldimouse

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Good luck Prue, hope you are pregnant for a long while yet. I'll cross my legs for you too.

#11 FauxPas

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

My waters broke at 26 weeks and I delivered (induction due to risk of infection) at 36 weeks, 6 days.  Healthy happy 2 yo DS with no issues.

Just relax, take it easy, try not to move around too much, eat well and rest.  All the best  - there are many success stories so don't worry too much!  original.gif

#12 71Cath

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Fingers crossed for you Prue, hang tight little ones.

#13 Chalky85

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Prue best of luck. My DS spent his first 5 weeks at the Royal (we are now next door at the Childrens) and all of the staff there are beautiful!! Take care of you and your twins :-)

#14 jules095

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Good luck keeping them in as long as possible.

My boys were born at 30+4  (spontaneous labour), after I spent 2 weeks in hospital due to PP. They came home at 37+4 after spending time in NICU/SCN & apart from a possible respiratory issue that has only just emerged, they are fighting fit 22.5mth olds.

Hopefully you can get a few more weeks under your belt, before they decide to make an appearance.

#15 Bex_star

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Go Prue!!!

Hang in there babies...

Good luck and all the best. Cant wait to hear the good news in a few weeks!!

#16 bubbanme

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hang in there babies!! Crossing my legs for you too.

#17 FeralMinx

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Waters broke at 16 weeks yet I went to term xx not entirely a likely scenario with twins but hold tight - hopefully you get bored out of your mind from weeks in there doing nothing. x

#18 Diamond123

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

Another one crossing her fingers and toes for you, Prue!
Here is hoping that you'd spend weeks and weeks crossing your legs... hands.gif

As for the statistic on survival rate... I know a lady who gave birth to her set of twin girls at 29 weeks due to some complications. Both girls weighed around 1.3kg at birth and both are doing so well that they could go home after 8 weeks in hospital.  tthumbs.gif

#19 cheshire_cat

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

best of luck Prue, will be thinking of you.

#20 LambChop

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

All the best Pru, do you have toilet priveleges ?  original.gif

My two are premmies, Austin was 31 weeks and Gilly 33 weeks (after 5 weeks of bed rest, 3 of which were in hospital), so I know some of what you would be feeling.  

30 weeks is a great first milestone, make sure to celebrate every week now as an achievement.

Take care, wishing you a boring number of weeks in there!

#21 Riotproof

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Oh Prue, thinking crossed thoughts for you!

#22 Sarie

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I've got my legs crossed for you Prue, best wishes.

#23 EthanEmmaLola

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Everything crossed for you Prue, hope those babies stay put for a few more weeks yet original.giforiginal.gif

#24 Razman

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

Oh Prue - I'm really sorry to hear you have more complications. There's nothing as unpleasant, stressful and downright depressing as a complicated pregnancy that follows an infertility journey.

I truely hope keeping your legs crossed and your body vertical keeps your LO's in for a few more weeks. Preferrably another 7-8, all the way to term.

On the bright side you have passed some pretty critical milestones - the grey zone of 23-25 weeks, the period of major development in 26-28 weeks, you've had the steroids on board for a few days and you now only one day shy of the 30 week milestone.

I'm not saying things are going to be easy or unstressful - they definitely will be - bedrest praying you LO's stay put is in no way fun or "restful" but you're moving into the lower mortality and better outcome zone so please keep up hope (and if your religious faith). Hope (and faith) are such wonderful soul preservers in hard times.

Lots of bbighug.gif  bbighug.gif  bbighug.gif and here's hoping to a few weeks of blogs complaining about boredom.

#25 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Keeping fingers crossed for you Prue, I don't dare cross my legs atm laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.