Strictly ONE fiction novel that absolutely trumps all others

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#176 pyramidsong

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

I can't read Watership Down. I'm too much of a sook. biggrin.gif I know it's not *really* about rabbits, but...

#177 dynamitee

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (bluesky* @ 15/03/2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A million little pieces by James Frey (semi-fictional).  Remember the scandal on Oprah?

Wow, how could I overlook that book!  Fiction or not, it really was good.  Hard to read but good.

#178 Feral Snow

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

Magician, by Raymond E. Feist for me too

#179 poss71

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (the4rugrats @ 03/04/2011, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My most favourite book (well its actually a series of 6) is 'Clan of the cave bear' by Jean M Auel.
She has just released the 6th one a couple of days ago, but I have read the other 5 at least 5-6 times each. Cant wait to start on the newest one.

Good grief. I started reading that series in the mid 80s. Is this the last one?

My all time favourite is Persuasion, Jane Austen. Oh, and if anyone can keep Keira Knightley away from Austen, that would be much appreciated.

#180 Herebedragons

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure whether this is the one book that trumps all others, but it is one that I return to again and again and it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Tess of the d'Ubervilles (Thomas Hardy).

I also love Harp in the South (Ruth Park).

#181 2016

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

Just popping back in to say a big Thank You! to all who recommended Kill a Mockingbird. What a wonderful book, so well written and pure. It helped me through some painful days whilst recovering from surgery.

#182 Guest_Kakki_*

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Peppy2 @ 15/03/2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Atonement. Awesome book, the movie let it down (as usual).

Basically any book by Ian McEwen. Mind you, the movie did have James Mc, so that was OK wink.gif

Thanks for this thread. I have read a lot (two words) of these books and have written down many.

I would say "Backroads" by Tawni O'Dell.

sort of Non Fiction "Running with Scissors" Augustin Burroghs.

Sorry, can't stick to one.

#183 ElizabethIAm

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Elleness @ 15/03/2011, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm voting Tully by Paullina Simons. After all the votes for Bronze Horseman, I must read it!

Another vote here for Tully. I haven't read the Bronze Horseman either but am about to get it for my Kindle.

#184 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (boopyscreet @ 15/03/2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another kids book.

The wub.gif Ordinary Princess wub.gif by MM Kaye.

My first copy has worn out and is now in a special box, and I just bought a new copy which I am (slowly) reading to DD.

I read it at least twice a year.

I love that book.

But mine would be Watership Down by Richard Adams

#185 ElizabethIAm

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

Now that I have read all 19 pages I have another to add and that would be 'April Fools Day' by Bryce Courtney. I haven't read any of his other books and have no interest in doing so but his biography is just fantastic.

#186 Heffalump

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer

Frst answer that popped into my head, and not what I'd have expected given the genre of books that I usually read. huh.gif

#187 katieface84

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

Another vote for The Bronze Horseman - most amazing book I have ever read! blush.gif

#188 christineb2

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin

I have only ever found it in second hand shops though!

As a child - Mrs Frisby and the rats of Nimb

#189 Treehogger

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:05 AM

Centennial by James Michener.

I read a copy of this at the same time as my dad was reading it - and we would talk about it over breakfast, after staying up late and reading chapters overnight.  I think those memories of that time add to my fave feelings about this book!

#190 mumofalmostthree

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my all time favourite's and one I would read again. I liked it so much, I would read to my husband out loud, certain parts of the book, and just give him a brief run down on the bits in between. I really wanted him to read it but knew he never would.

I also have to mention, The Red Tent.

#191 Baby Steps

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (babyboydec05 @ 15/03/2011, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with all here and so many to choose from....but another that has a place in my heart is The Lovely Bones - Alice Seabold.

But please do not see the movie!!!!!

This is my all time favorite and haven't and won't be seeing the movie

#192 sara.s

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (HillmanMinx @ 15/03/2011, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As per the title.

If you could name ONE novel that you want everyone else to 'experience', what would it be?

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov  of course!

#193 PaddlePopLion

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (HillmanMinx @ 15/03/2011, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As per the title.

If you could name ONE novel that you want everyone else to 'experience', what would it be?

I'm torn between East of Eden by John Steinbeck and The Plague by Albert Camus (whose name I used to embarrassingly pronounce phonetically).

If I have to choose I'll choose Steinbeck.

#194 rnflorenzo

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (My10 @ 15/03/2011, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.. hands down!

This

#195 toni23

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

The Outsiders by SE Hinton.  

I  must have read this novel fifty times over my lifetime, and as a teacher I love to use it with my students.  It deeply affected me and at that impressionable time of youth, helped to shape my strong sense of fairness and non-judgement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.