Strictly ONE fiction novel that absolutely trumps all others

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#51 naturalista

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

I'm going to go with sheer entertainment.

The Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum (only the first one, the sequels suck)

I like the movies too, but they're very different and the first book is amazing.

#52 Miss Iceberg

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (noname2 @ 15/03/2011, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

This is a fantastic book, loved it!

#53 mccarro

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

A tale of two cities, by Charles Dickens.

#54 namie

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Another vote for Pride and Prejudice.

I also love Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria by Annie Hawes. It's actually more of an autobiography but it is really well written.

#55 niggles

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

That's easy!

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

And the bonus is that it is completely approachable. It's transformative. I've never laughed as much as reading this either.

#56 BadCat

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Mila 18 by Leon Uris - fictionalised account of real events surrounding the uprising of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto in WWII.  Gut wrenchingly brilliant.

#57 babyboydec05

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Agree with all here and so many to choose from....but another that has a place in my heart is The Lovely Bones - Alice Seabold.

But please do not see the movie!!!!!

#58 boopyscreet

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Another kids book.

The wub.gif Ordinary Princess wub.gif by MM Kaye.

My first copy has worn out and is now in a special box, and I just bought a new copy which I am (slowly) reading to DD.

I read it at least twice a year.

#59 1ds1dd

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

A Fortunate Life.    A B Facey.     A classic.

1ds1dd

#60 emskies

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

#61 KimminyCricket

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I want to say House Rules by Jodie Piccoult because I've just finished it and could NOT put it down.  But realistically I have to say The Power of One by Bryce Courtney.  So incredibly powerful.

#62 purplekitty

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (niggles @ 15/03/2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's easy!

And the bonus is that it is completely approachable. It's transformative. I've never laughed as much as reading this either.

This one for me too.

#63 colby01

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

I can't narrow down to one book - but after reading this thread I have just downloaded Pillars of the Earth. I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else has.

#64 LovetheSun

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (swahili @ 15/03/2011, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pride and Prejudice.

So hard to just choose one!

QUOTE (beatrice11 @ 15/03/2011, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hard to choose just one but my absolute fave would have to be 'A Suitable Boy' by Vikram Seth.

QUOTE (simsy @ 15/03/2011, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God of small things - Arundhati Roy

although there are so many good books to choose from!

Oh my 3 face books. I love books set in India. Also ANY of Barbara kingsolver's books. She's brilliant. I'm compiling a great to read list from this thread though.

#65 =R2=

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

Can I say all of the above? LOL

I'm torn between River God (Wilbur Smith) and Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) - absolutely blasted away by both.

#66 ComradeBob

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (niggles @ 15/03/2011, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's easy!

Oh, it's transformative all right! I had to study that book for my HSC. Do you know how hard it is writing essay questions on a book with 40 odd main characters?  wacko.gif  It did my head in.

That was over 20 years ago and I still haven't been brave enough to re-read it  laugh.gif

Sorry, going to go double dip here though and mention one of my favourite teen books Pasture of the Blue Crane by Hesba Brinsmead. It's a lovely gentle coming of age story set in far northern NSW.

#67 ez21

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Cloudstreet - Tim Winton

#68 Banana Pancakes

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Without a doubt its the Time Travelers Wife. I read it years and years ago and re-read it occasionally.

#69 kadoodle

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Macbeth.  I know people roll their eyes at the idea of Shakespeare, but the sheer delicate beauty of the prose gets me every time.

#70 Mercurial

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Got some great ideas for this thread thank you.  

I'm another one for the Power of One by Bryce Courtney.

#71 Mummy To Be...

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (noname2 @ 15/03/2011, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Another vote for A Fine Balance. An absolutely incredible book.

#72 kat11

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Angle of Repose by Wally Stegner.

The first three chapters are woeful, but the finest book I have ever read.

Kath

#73 archyandmehitabel

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (boopyscreet @ 15/03/2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another kids book.

The wub.gif Ordinary Princess wub.gif by MM Kaye.

My first copy has worn out and is now in a special box, and I just bought a new copy which I am (slowly) reading to DD.

I read it at least twice a year.

Never heard of that one.  have read MM Kaye's autobiographical Sun in the Morning, which was brilliant.  haven't ever foudn teh follow-ups though I know they've been written.

favourite novel another vote for To Kill A Mockingbird.  Almost perfectly written book.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#74 Rachiee

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

The Pursuit of Happiness - Douglas Kennedy
(not the movie)

An amazing novel, my copy has been shared around about 15 people.

#75 killerrabbit

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (bobthekelpie @ 15/03/2011, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, going to go double dip here though and mention one of my favourite teen books Pasture of the Blue Crane by Hesba Brinsmead. It's a lovely gentle coming of age story set in far northern NSW.

+1

I love that book, I didn't think anyone else had heard of it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.