Can bank tellers snoop on friends bank accounts?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 pinksky

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

Hi,
Was out last night and asked an aquaintance (sp?) if they're working, she said yes in a bank, I said which bank, she said yes that one, to which I stupidly blurted out oh yeah that's my bank.  Turns out she's a teller....and I immediately had a sickening image of her snooping and looking me and my dh up.  I am a very private person, don't discuss money and finances with anyone ever (except my dh of course).  The thought of her snooping and knowing all our financials makes me feel sick.  Do banks have anything in place to stop tellers/bank workers snooping on people they know?  I'm clutching at straws, aren't I?

#2 icekool

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

From memory (friend worked there), I think they are under agreement to not abuse their position. Something like that. So maybe someone can confirm.

#3 Aussie-overseas

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hate to say it but yes... I used to work in a bank call centre and we we told that "officially" we weren't supposed to look up anyone's details (celebrities, friends, etc) without their permission, however - this was all an honesty system and it wouldn't really stop anyone working there doing it...

#4 ~Peaches~

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm pretty sure they can look through accounts, they're not 'supposed to' but they can. My BIL (SIL's DH) works in the bank that DH and I are with and before we got married was telling MIL something about DH's account! ohmy.gif So rude he snooped and then was talking to MIL about it! My friend also worked at the same bank and said they were all able to see eachothers accounts etc, except BIL had put passwords and locks on his accounts so no staff members could see his details rolleyes.gif Fair huh?

#5 auntiesocial

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

They technically can, but it would be an abuse of position and a violation of your privacy if they did with no official reason to do so.

Banks keep logs of how often you acc details were looked up, who looked it up and when. So if you suspect anything funny from your friend, you could always approach them and she could potentially be investigated for breaching your privacy.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

Officially they aren't "supposed" to check accounts, but yes they have access.

#7 Cath-In-SA

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

She would get sacked immediately if it ever got discovered that she was looking into accounts she had no need to.

A few years ago there was someone who worked for the ATO who was looking up celebrity accounts and got herself fired.

#8 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

When I worked at a major bank as a teller, we were told they keep a log on well-known people's accounts but there are no other checks and balances on normal people.  Also, in reality if the boss wanted to know why an employee was looking at a relative/friend's account, how hard is it to make up some excuse about helping them with their finances?  It would be much harder to explain away looking at a celebrity's account who lives in a different city.
Sure it's an unethical and dishonest thing to do, but there is nothing to stop them.  Sorry!

#9 intd242

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

Do you really think she is the type of person to go *snooping*? perhaps she has better things to do that to look up everyone she knows?

#10 intd242

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Dinah_Harris @ 27/03/2011, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, in reality if the boss wanted to know why an employee was looking at a relative/friend's account, how hard is it to make up some excuse about helping them with their finances?

I don't think this would be acceptable - if they want your help - they should show you their financials ... not you check them out via your employer ...

#11 Guest_mummytomany_*

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yes they could look if they wanted to but why would they want to?

Is she the type of person who you think would look?

#12 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

I don't think this would be acceptable - if they want your help - they should show you their financials ... not you check them out via your employer ...

No, I mean if the boss worked out that an employee was looking at certain accounts too much and asked her/him about it, the employee could make up a story to their boss fairly easily.  In reality, friends/family of the employee would have no idea whether their accounts are being looked at unless the employee blabs about it.

EFS

Edited by Dinah_Harris, 27 March 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#13 pinksky

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (mummytomany @ 27/03/2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes they could look if they wanted to but why would they want to?

Is she the type of person who you think would look?

Yes, she's the type to look.  This is compounded further by our extreme privacy in regards to our financial position.  Looks like that's gone out the window now.  Me and my big mouth. aannoyed.gif

#14 auntiesocial

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

When I worked at a major bank as a teller, we were told they keep a log on well-known people's accounts but there are no other checks and balances on normal people.

Having worked on a major bank's IT systems, I can tell you that there are records in databases that store details of how a particular account was accessed, and who looked at it. At the same bank, I could also request that IT give me details of every single account that a particular employee accessed over the last x months or whatever.  It really isn't difficult to do and when you have a couple of hundred thousand different types of records to store, another few storing data access isn't a big deal in terms of maintenance effort or cost.

A PP was right in that the only way you as a customer would know is if your friend blabbed to you. But if you have reason to suspect, you can certainly take it to the bank and ask them to investigate inappropriate access. Mention "breach of privacy" and I can guarantee that the bank will at least take your complaint seriously enough to do some internal investigation.

#15 blueberrymuffin

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yes, they can.

DH's aunt is a teller for a major bank. She will often look up people she knows and gossip about them.

We purposely don't use that bank.

#16 Avogadro

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

I worked for a bank and one day one of my colleagues was found to be looking up the bank details of others in her team.  She was only sprung when she accidently hit "Print" instead of "Escape" (the buttons were right next to each other).  The printout was on the printer and discovered by the owner of the account!  She wasn't sacked (I think she should have been) but reprimanded.

#17 wrappedup

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

I worked as a bank teller at a major bank. Yes you could look up people's accounts but no-one in my branch did, it's ethically wrong. I never even thought to do it, it would be a complete abuse of her position, privacy rules and she should be fired if she does so.

#18 Tiffysmum

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

If it was a real concern to me I would withdraw a cheque for the balance and put the money in a different bank.

#19 Red Cabbage

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

how hard is it to make up some excuse about helping them with their finances?

DD works for a bank, and if we go into her branch she is not allowed to 'serve' us, either telling or mortgage help. If a teller was found to be accessing information improperly, they could be sacked.

DH's aunt is a teller for a major bank. She will often look up people she knows and gossip about them.

This is a major breach of contract, why doesn't someone complain?

#20 TheAP

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

If you're friend is working for the bank implied in your post then yes she may be able to look at your accounts but I can assure you that it would be logged and she would have to explain herself.

That bank has incredible computer systems and a purpose built databank that logs who you look at, which accounts you view, how long you access that customers details and whether you do anything to them. If your "friend" is looking at your accounts on a regular basis, for any length of time and/or not transacting on them it will be flagged in the system. The computer logs are not maintained manually. The system is set to flag ANY unusual activity. Your friend would be questioned, reprimanded and dismissed.

#21 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

I have to say yes she could snoop. She probably wouldn't get caught unless you complained and brought it to someones attention. I worked in a bank and a lot of people would access accounts they weren't supposed to. Not snooping as such but just not doing it appropriately.
My MIL worked in a bank years ago and when DH and I first met she use to comment about his spending habits and how little he had saved at the table while we were eating. Needless to say he switched banks very quickly so she couldn't snoop. So wrong in my opinion.

I worked for Medicare a few years later and they were very very very strict about privacy and only accessing information you should. If someone popped up on your screen that you knew (work came though the system to process) there was a long process and forms to fill in to show that you knew that person but didn't deliberately access their account. You also couldn't process claims for people that lived in your street whether you knew them or not. Just using as a comparison as the bank was extrememly relaxed compared to this - and was a big bank too.

Be careful if you complain directly about her though. It could cause problems for her at work when she hasn't actually done anything.

#22 GlitterFeralFarts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Yes, you can look up people accounts, but I know that at my bank, a record is kept. Every account that you access, stores your access code (need this to log on to any system). It is a huge breach of privacy and ethics and would result in severe consequences. They do random checks at my bank, and if any 'funny business' is suspected, then an ivestigation is immediate.

If you have worries, then lodge your concern with your bank manager, or a different manager, lodge a complaint via telephone banking and if you are really concerned, look at changing banks.

Smyala80 said it waaay better than me! Banks are very strict with privacy issues.

Edited by Freakypet, 27 March 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#23 jo074

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

hmmm, interesting thread!  Does anyone out there know if Westpac tellers can access St George info? I know they are part of the same group, but do the tellers have access to the same information?

#24 BeYOUtiful

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

It is a sackable offence.
All systems accessed are done by individual usernames and passwords, every system/account opened can be tracked.

Personally i wouldn't be reporting your friend based on an assumption, she may not find your financial situation as interesting as you think she does, nor wish to lose her job.

I have worked in banking for 20 years and it is not something i even consider, nor is it worth losing a job over.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 27 March 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#25 mumto3princesses

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

As pp have said she could look but if she is found out then she could be sacked.

You aren't even able to check your own balance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.