Good gift to give parents when no. 3 arrives?
Any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 CandZ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

What's a good gift to give the parents when no. 3 arrives?  

I'm not going to give a rattle or toys or blankets or anything like that - because let's face it, having had 2 they've got their fair share of things like that!

I'm just stumped what to get.  I'd love to them a cleaner but reality is can't afford any decent length of time for a cleaner.  I'm not a cook, so won't be doing batches of meals for them.  

I was considering a little pack of stuff - maybe baby shampoo, nappies, wipes - and then choc for mum and dad or something similar?

What did you get after having no. 3 that you really found useful?

TIA  biggrin.gif

#2 Mamabug

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

We had pretty much everything, and are quite particular about products we use on our children (skin sensitiity issues - not just pretentious issues!!!), so baby products we were given were graciously accepted and re-gifted.

What we do love at anytime for our children are books - a gift for a lifetime, really.

The offer to take the older children for some time out, if possible would have been brilliant.

Having a pizza home-delivered would have been bliss - no need to be a good cook, as long as your dialling finger works!!

For the mum, a voucher (with a 12 month expiry date) for an underware shop or massage.

#3 liveworkplay

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

Are their kids born in the same season? I found after two summer babies I actually needed jumpers etc for DD3 who was born at the start of winter. Just because it is baby number 3, doesnt mean they do not need the ususal baby gifts.

#4 CandZ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for those suggestions Mamabug... I agree re the products, I'm not particular about our products as have been lucky that my kids don't have sensitivities, but had considered that with these kids as I know there was an issue at some stage with excema (sp?).  I like the pizza idea, wonder if they do vouchers or something?  Hm.

PP, yes all born in the same season can you believe!

#5 LittleRB

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

Honestly -  something for the parents! And something little for the baby of course... original.gif

Gift vouchers are a good idea (if you know them well).

#6 gemmaw

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

A voucher for pizza or a local takeaway sounds great.

Also I found with baby number 3 it was nice to get some little keepsakes for them (like photo album, baby book, money box, photo frame, something with their name on it, bowl/plate set etc). The first 2 kids were given heaps of this stuff but no 3 missed out a bit with this.

#7 Bigfatbum

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

a nice grocery hamper - was one of our best gifts - from my mum overseas. She just ordered some bits from coles ( or maybe it was woolies??) online and it was delivered. Easy stuff i could give the older kids if they were hungry whilst i was busy and bits like wippes and things i could eat in a hurry

#8 Mamabug

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (gemmaw @ 02/04/2011, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A voucher for pizza or a local takeaway sounds great.

Also I found with baby number 3 it was nice to get some little keepsakes for them (like photo album, baby book, money box, photo frame, something with their name on it, bowl/plate set etc). The first 2 kids were given heaps of this stuff but no 3 missed out a bit with this.

Yes, definitely don't overlook a card for #3. I am pg with #4 and it is rather obvious that the number of well-wishes have declined with each child...I dispair for poor #4!!!

#9 charmalee

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

A pair of those soft leather baby shoes.I always found that shoes wore out pretty quickly and couldn't really be handed down.

#10 lth

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Single bed sheets for when bub moves into the big bed - I never have enough sets! Also, things personalised for no 3 - eg towel, door label

#11 lockie001

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

It would depend on the budget, how about a new DVD for the older siblings to watch to give mummy some peace with bubs? and also one for mum and dad.
Photo Frame
plaster of paris (sp) kit for baby hands,
gift voucher for a professional photo
box of nappies if she uses disposable and you know what brands she uses
slow cooker
another washing hamper  biggrin.gif
voucher to have her windows washed/ car cleaned.
gourmet basket of yummy treats.

I have so much new born baby stuff unopended, given with love, cluttering my cupboards. sad.gif

I like the idea of a voucher for a take away meal, if you know what she buys/likes this could be very usefull and not blow the budget to much.

#12 --binda--

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

I'd really like some of my friends (and family) to pitch in and make us some meals. I couldn't care less what they were, as long as I didn't have to cook them!!!

(And FWIW, I'm pregnant with #3! I would so love someone to actually do it from now!)

#13 Carls mummy x2

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I love the keepsakes ideas as it's nice for each child to have these!
But I'm a huge slow cooker fan, so i ask all my new mum friends if they have one!!!

#14 HighlandPinky

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Mamabug @ 02/04/2011, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, definitely don't overlook a card for #3. I am pg with #4 and it is rather obvious that the number of well-wishes have declined with each child...I dispair for poor #4!!!

I agree with this too.  My No.3 got quite a few cards (because she was a girl, after 2 boys), but the last 3 have got hardly any.  I really like keeping the cards from their births, but now i feel really sad.  DS4 in particular has only 3 cards sad.gif

#15 CandZ

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (MrsDoyle @ 02/04/2011, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS4 in particular has only 3 cards sad.gif

sad.gif  That is so sad!

Great suggestions ladies, thanks so much  original.gif

#16 Sassenach2

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

I don't know if mum is going to breastfeed, but a years subscription to the Australian Breastfeeding Association would be nice, with all the ongoing books to baby care.

#17 No girls here

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'm expecting boy#3 and definitely do not need any baby clothes.  

The thing I would probably appreciate the most is books, as many of the books I read with DS1 and DS2 are in really bad condition, plus you really get sick of the same old books and it would be nice to have some that I haven't heard a thousand times.

Other than that I would say things that get used up like nappies, wipes etc.

#18 bubba boo

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

I'v ejust had no 3 and i second the cards thing as we've had the same issue and the meals would be great. Also how about a voucher for a family photo?

#19 Dani

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

I say whip up a "Babysitting Voucher" for Mum & Dad and pick a funky little something for the baby.  Be nice for the Mum & Dad to go out with just the baby (assuming bublet is bf) and know that the older two are being cared for.

Sensible gifting.  I love it!

#20 Kim

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I loved having meals made or me, we had lots of that and it was just fantastic as I found even though my delivery wasn't complicated and dd slept well, I didn't bounce back as quickly.  To have food in the fridge was bliss....  and it didn't have to be gourmet, I had some spag bols and mincy things that were simple but exactly what we needed.

I also agree to not forget baby, the more you have, the less attention they get, although I have to admit, dd attracted a lot of attention, far more than ds2 did, but I think that was because she was a girl after 2 boys and because of the huge gap.

#21 Bigfatbum

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

actually i just remembered, my absolute favourite thing that was done for me, was that whilst i was being discharged and on my way home, i had new sheets and pjs brought and i got home to a bed made with them and the pjs there to change into, all teh dishwashing had been done and they took the older kids for the night.

#22 tiggy2

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Also things to keep the older siblings busy eg coloring book, puzzle, playdough etc

#23 new~mum~reenie

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

When SIL was pregnant with #4, I did up a pamper pack, with packets of foot soak and face masks and bathbombs etc etc. And I think a few baby bits, but mostly for her. If I had the money at the time I would have booked her into a massage or something.

actually i just remembered, my absolute favourite thing that was done for me, was that whilst i was being discharged and on my way home, i had new sheets and pjs brought and i got home to a bed made with them and the pjs there to change into, all teh dishwashing had been done and they took the older kids for the night

My MW did my dishes while I was in early labour (Birth pool visable from kitchen).  Was nice not to have to even think about them afterwards biggrin.gif

Edited by new~mum~reenie, 02 April 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#24 Caramel Queen

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I haven't had #3, but after DS2 a friend from playgroup gave me a green bag filled with snacky things - the nicer brand muesli bars, crackers, little chocolates, a nice cereal etc - which was lovely when I was starving due to breastfeeding! She was a bit embarrassed that it wasn't a homecooked meal, but this was just as good! original.gif

And I agree - don't forget the card!

#25 Cherish

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

I like to give my gifts in a washing basket.
I usually half fill/fill a new
Washing basket with;
Stuff for bub, nail clippers, pawpaw ointment, gaia products, dummies.
And chuck in stuff for Mum and Dad;
Face scrubs, choccies, nice bikkies etc. Or a basket of fresh fruit, ot a big container of fresh fruit salad is usually appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.