No Help!?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chewie

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

I lost everything I own in Bundaberg floods but as I was in the middle of moving house everything I own was in storage while I found a house in a different town! I couldn't get back home to retrieve or save my stuff and could only sit back and hear about how deep the water was in my storage shed! I then had to wait over a week to finally get a break through all the flooding to get back to bundaberg and watched the roads close behind me as I got flooded out of my new town and miss out of 11 days of work and be separated from my partner and son. I lost nearly everything! My sons beds some how survived and my microwave but that was it!!!
It was devastating picking up photo's that were beyond saving and seeing everything I have worked hard at buying gone like so many others the sympathy and help was short!

The difference is I was not able to get help from the flood fund as it was in storage! I am in the grey area and nothing could be done! I'm now $8000 in debt and I was only able to get half the things I needed! I'm broke and struggling to make ends meet now because of the government pretty much flipping me the bird and saying to bad who cares... I know I shouldn't complain as I came away with it, with my loved ones safe and sound but it has devastated me in more ways then i thought! emotionally I've struggled and now financially I'm drowning!
Did anyone else fall into this grey area and not get any help from the flood fund? I'm just starting to think I was the only one since no-one else I've heard of has had trouble getting financial aid!

Edited by Chewie, 03 April 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Datrys

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

OP, I'm so sorry for everything you've been through.

One practical suggestion - I know churches are also administering flood funds, and they might have discretion to disburse money to someone in your situation.  Perhaps contact not the local church, but head offices in Brisbane and see if anyone can help you through that?

#3 Feral-Lausii

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

I know when I have had furniture in storage the Storage company had to have insurance. Have you tried that?

#4 Chewie

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Thank you! I'll see what I can do about the church.
The company I was through although was the most expensive storage place I'd come across didn't have insurance! I just assumed they did, I'm kicking myself now but it's a little to late and I'm just jotting it down as a life lesson!

Thanks

#5 jfl

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Well, if they are storing other people's property, they have a duty of care, so they should either have insurance or compensate you directly.  Might be worth following up in a small claims court for consumers (whatever the Queensland version is). Probably not worth a full court case due to legal fees and delays.

Meanwhile, agree with PPs that it is worth finding out who is distributing aid funds in your area and approaching them for some short term help. What a pain!

#6 Guest_WombatWife_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 03/04/2011, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP, I'm so sorry for everything you've been through.

One practical suggestion - I know churches are also administering flood funds, and they might have discretion to disburse money to someone in your situation.  Perhaps contact not the local church, but head offices in Brisbane and see if anyone can help you through that?

I'd second that. Money donated to the church relief funds are often not tax deductable and are therefore not subject to the same guidelines as the other appeal funds. They have more discretion but I don't think they would be able to cover $8,000 in debts. For that you need some debt counselling. You can get this for free from some church agencies as well. Reach out and see what is available to you. Try not to dispair.

#7 Peanut

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was just wondering how you are getting on Chewie?

Life moves on for most of us, but there are still so many people trying to pick up the pieces.

Edited by Peanut, 23 April 2011 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.