Surviving Suicide: Nut's story

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 ~Mintie~

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Thank you so much Nic for sharing your story, and I'm very sorry for the loss of your brother. I can't find the right words, but you've done an important thing in sharing your very personal experience. Thank you, and *Ev, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your son.

#27 little lion

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. It is a good reminder for all of us about warning signs and watching out for our loved ones (although suicide prevention is not always possible). And it is nice for the world to know more about your kind brother - there was more to his life than his death.

#28 Procrastinator5000

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thanks so much for writing this story, Nut and to both you and Ev, I am so sorry for your loss.

I lost someone when I was young, and now I am very hesitant to get too close to people, just in case they leave me as well. It's great to read of how close your family is, even in the face of such a great loss.

#29 baddmammajamma

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Nicole,

What a powerful and important story to tell.  Thank you for being honest and brave enough to share it here. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. *Ev, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. No one should ever have to go through what your family is facing.

#30 Peanut

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss *Ev, as a mother its one of my worst fears.

Thinking of you both.

#31 Blondiebear

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

What a heart wrenching story. Thank you Nut for reminding us not to take anyone we love for granted. My thoughts are with all Lothar's family and friends.

#32 pink

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Nic and *Ev, I'm so sorry for your loss. The story is beautifully written and I hope it helps someone to make that phone call or visit so that a person suffering Depression might be able to ask for the help they need. No one can help until they let you know there's a problem

#33 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Nut and *Ev, so very, very sorry.  How incredibly hard for your family.

#34 Nut

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I honestly didn't expect this kid of response. I truly appreciate it.

It's still a very hard time for us all and there is so much more I wanted to write. It's not an easy thing to put into words and have it make sense... It really is a topic that is not discussed enough and so easy to just assume that people you know are OK because they are surrounded by loved ones.

I will stop before I start a really long ramble though... But thank you all again.

For those interested, this is the photo peanut mentioned before. A photo that just sums it up perfectly. My father at the funeral before the other guests arrived.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/pautiric/Papa-BW2.jpg

#35 Ianthe

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

You did an amazing job of writing a tribute to your brother. Suicide is such an incredible tragedy. It's important to write as someone left behind so people who are thinking of such a desperate act understand that they ARE loved, they ARE important, they ARE needed.

#36 brazen

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

wonderfully written nic. *hugs* for you xxx

#37 taslas

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Dear Nut
Such a sad but important story to share.
Kel

#38 FeralMinx

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Nut, *Ev and family.  My thoughts are with you.  I lost my best friend to suicide, he was successful, loved, wonderful family and friends.  Everything to live for.  Mental illness is a powerful and deadly condition, and so often what we see is just the tip of the iceberg.  Thankyou for sharing.  

I believe sharing the stories about suicide is critical.  

Its critical for the families left behind, to cope, to be heard and understood.  

Its critical for people who dont understand, to hear about it, and begin to understand.  

Its also critical for people who suffer mental illness and at risk of suicide to have a greater awareness of the ramifications to those around them, should they succumb.  

It might help them get through one more night.  And that might be all it takes, before the tide turns for the better.

Bless your family and your brother/son/uncle/nephew.  May he rest in peace.

#39 spottydog

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for sharing your story Nut, very sad sad.gif

May your brother RIP.

spotty.

#40 raven74

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

Nut, Ev - I am so sorry for your loss, but rejoice at the love and close relationships you have within your family.  Grief is raw and all emcompassing; I am so glad you have loving arms to turn to when you have the need.
I also remember the photo that you posted for the "fathers" topic, Nut.  That pic of your dad made my heart stop mid beat, and I remember thinking If only those comtemplating suicide could see this, the raw emotion in a fathers face, see the grief, the damage, the unendurable pain.
May you have found your peace,  Lothar.
For you all:  bbighug.gif

#41 lady_luck

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Much love to you Nut and Ev. I too remembered the photos you shared Nut and also had that heart stopping moment of grief for what you are going through.

I lost my partner to suicide almost 14 years ago now and my girls lost there Dad. There is no way to describe the turmoil that grips you but from some one a long way down the grief road take care and know he is now at peace.

Big hugs to you and your family.

#42 *Caro*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thank you so much for sharing, Nic.  There was an article in the Weekend Australian Magazine a few weeks ago, about suicide and the restrictions on reporting it in the media.  I think it is so important for people to know it happens, for it to be talked about and discussed. As you have so eloquently revealed, it has huge ramifications for those left behind, and I think it does family and friends a disservice to sweep it under the carpet.

Your story is also another reminder of the horrible consequences of workplace bullying.

#43 twotoddlers

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

thank you for sharing your story.. my condolences..

you and your family will be in our prayers..

#44 Sancti-claws

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

My condolences for you and your family.

I know how hard it is to lose someone to suicide.  It affects everyone.

#45 Guest_BeachedAsBro_*

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

Nut & *Ev, I'm so sorry for your loss sad.gif

#46 Ren30

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

Nut, thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry for your loss.  sad.gif

As someone who suffers from depression, and has been in that dark place numerous times, you have helped me see that I do matter and would be missed.

#47 Hashley

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

So well written.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

#48 Divine 37

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:44 AM

Beautifull written, I am so sorry for your loss hheart.gif

#49 RCTP

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing your story with us all. For giving us the reminder of how precious our family and friends are Nut. They are irreplaceable.

I am sorry for your loss x

#50 Maple Leaf

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

Workplace bullies have a lot to answer for. My husband was nearly pushed over the edge by one (coincidentally, he is also in IT). I hope your story can help others Nut. Thank you for sharing. RIP Lothar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.