What TV Shows for 12 year olds?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zebette

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

I just wondered what TV series people's 12 year olds are watching (especially girls) I am often a little surprised at some of the TV show that DD12's friends are watching and am wondering if I am being too overprotective, but when I ask DD12 if she WANTS to watch them (ie Glee, Vampire Diaries, Charmed, Buffy) she has no interest in them anyway.

She likes some of the older TV series I watched as a kid..ie Press Gang she loved, Degrassi Junior High she enjoyed and she liked Dead Gorgeous on ABC recently. She watched Junior Masterchef and loved that when it was on but we don't really watch commercial TV here so nothing like Home and Away/Neighbours etc is ever on.

What TV shows would be appropriate for her and more current?

ETA: She did watch the first episode of Glee but really didn't seem to get it, I think the humour was too fast for her. Some of her FB friends seem to have shows like How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory type shows but I don't think she would enjoy them that much.

Edited by Zebette, 08 April 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#2 TinMan

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

What about Pretty Little Liars I've watched the first season of that and it'd be ok for a 12 yr old?

If you want one that was pretty cheesy but def G rated then 7th Heaven should be fairly cheap at JBs these days.

ETA What about Gilmore Girls? likewise cheap at JBs/Target

Edited by TinMan, 08 April 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

My DD isn't quite 12 yet but she loves

Dead Gorgeous

Stoked ( cartoon about teen surfers who spend their summer break working in a hotel and surfing etc )

Modern Family

Wipe Out

Funniest Home Videos

Neighbours

The Simpsons

The Brady Bunch

#4 anna-karin

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hmm, I think I may be one of those mums who lets my 12 year old DD watch programmes which may be a litlte "old" for her... Having said that, she is almost 12 1/2 and in my mind very mature. She loves MKR, Modern Family, Home & Away, Winners & Losers (I love it, too, and I watch it with her), Border Security, Spicks & Specks, Packed to the Rafters etc etc. It doesn't help matters that she gets by on fairly little sleep, so ends up staying up quite late sometimes. The good thing is that she easily gets up for school every morning and is doing very well at High School, where she started this year.

#5 autumntree

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

My DD is a little older and I let her watch things that are probably a bit too old for her as well, She loves Vampire diaries, Glee, etc. We watch Pretty Little Liars together and it is good, but the girls do talk about sex etc.

I have given her Dawsons Creek, Party of Five, Veronica Mars and other older ones. She loves Home and Away and all those talent shows.

She also still watches thigns like Wizards of Waverly Place etc, though not as a first choice, more when her younger sibs are watching.

#6 Empress NG

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I let mine watch Glee too!  Also recently Summer Heights High (she said it is just like her new high school which is a bit of a worry!).  Also Big Bang Theory.

She loves the retro stuff as well, eg, Press Gang, Brady Bunch, The Nanny (this is the absolute favourite at the moment - driving us nuts!), Full House, Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers etc.  Also at the moment we are all enjoying Are You Being Served which is on one of those free to air channels that shows lots of repeats.

#7 Guest_starbellied_*

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

I have a son (13), but he loves modern family, how I met your mother, big bang theory.

He also loved summer heights high (like another person mentioned) scarily he loved Jonah laugh.gif

Loves red dwarf, the goodies and the young ones

He also secretly like some of the even older British shows (the ones that are cringingly politically incorrect).

#8 ytt

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

I don't let my kids watch a whole lot of TV.

DS nearly 12 watches

Mythbusters
Anything on history channel (DS loves history) and engineering stuff
Fish Hooks
Sponge Bob
I have occasionally let him watch RBT (maybe three times)
He has watched Big Bang Theory which he loved but I'm not sure if I want him to watch it full time (lol DS is Sheldon)

That's about it! DS doesn't watch much TV but LOVES his computer. On school days my kids don't watch TV after dinner (we eat about 5pm). DS doesn't watch TV after school at all, he may watch some Mythbusters in the morning if he wakes up early.

#9 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

My 11 and 13 year olds watch Glee and Modern Family with me.
11yo likes No Ordinary Family.
13yo loves House, Gruen Transfer, QI and Monty Python.
Apart from that I have coaxed them into being sci-fi nerds like me. They like Dr Who, Red Dwarf, Stargate, Sarah Jane Adventures, Star Trek.
13 yo keeps begging me to let her watch Fringe with me, but I won't let her.
I can't think of anything else they watch, that's about it.

#10 Nerileeway

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

11 year old dd:  Glee, Doctor Who, Modern Family, House, Outnumbered, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother.

13 year old:  Same as above plus: Bones, Pretty Little Liars, The Walking Dead (just once, not sure about this one).  She loves horror/scary.  Waking the Dead.

Occasionally I turn off a show that is not suitable and I am always there when they watch the M rated shows.

#11 Sue Heck

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

--

Edited by Nicholas Rush, 19 July 2011 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.