The Embryo Decision
Use, donate, destroy or research?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 HeatherRob

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Just to update those who have been wishing me well and those who have been following my thread.
DH and I have been blessed with the gift of 4 embryos and are about to start the proccess of haveing them transfered to our clinic and everything else that we need to do.
My donor has taken 2 years to make her final decision so it isnt something that she has just jumped into.
I will be updateing as we go. I am hope that in time I will be able to tell you about it from her side as well as ours.
I wish you all the very best in all your hopes and dreams for your future and pray you can all find your final decision the one that brings you closure and peace.

#52 42n8

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations HeatherRob.  That's wonderful news and I wish you all the best for your treatment.  I truly hope this wonderful donation is just the beginning of your good fortune.

Best wishes.

42n8

#53 Sheri62

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

I believe that this is a topic which should not fade away.

We were fortunate enough to be egg donor recipients and had a successful pregnancy and a wonderful little 2 year old to prove it now. As we had 3 remaining frozen embryos we then had that decision to make.
Unfortuntely I had a hysterectomy 12 months following her birth and we decided together that we were happy with our one special little girl and did not consider going down the surrogate road.

I kept thinking about my little babies (which is what they were for me) and how they too deserved a chance at life and how they could bring joy to another couple.
I also reflected on how we had become parents together thanks to the selfless generosity of our egg donor. Who went 2 cycles to help us. And never once complained, even though she had her own children to care for.

We decided to Pay it forward and on-donate our embryos. Once the decision was made I went back to the online forum we found our egg donor on and went in search of suitable recipients. It didn't take long. And last September they also had a beautiful baby girl.  Yes, we all keep in contact and our egg donor also donated to another couple after us and they also have a lovely little girl.

This was all done in Queensland and my understanding is there are different laws in different states. We live in Melbourne and travelled up to Qld for the treatment after our first attempt in Melbourne.

Yes, I wondered how I woulf feel when I met that little baby, as I like most every mum very very bonded to my babies. But funny to say when I met their baby ( as she is their baby) I was surprised to find it was the same as when a friend has a new baby. Lovely yes.... but none of that magnetism you feel towards your own baby. We are both so happy that she is a joy to her parents and I have no doubt how much they love her...

So anyway that is how what we decided to do when the time to make a decision came.  And we are all happy with the outcome. And yes..... prepared for all the questions from these children when they grow up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.