January 07 Parents # 537

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#26 Mulan

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

Oh I forgot to say I have the best husband ever. You have to see fb pics to understand my excitement. It's one of those moments that I feel old and very tragic that I'm so excited over because the simple things are such a wonderful thing too. The thing I love most about my life right now is I appreciate so many of the simple things and very much how hard DH and I are working at everything right now and we are enjoying doing these simple things together. We have been an awesome team doing the landscaping together. I'm so proud of him and what we have achieved.

#27 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

One pic loaded Janet original.gif

#28 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

It's in my albums Janet.

#29 donthavetv

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

hello from my sick bed. I have done something to my c something in my lower back,and  am on antibiotics and iron tablets for other problems thanks to my doctors appointment that I should have had 2 years ago !.
the back is ridiculously painful though,I  can hardly move !.

You would have seen last night we were at the state trials for Lachy's football. He has been waiting years to do this (they only have an u12 and u16 state side). so nerve wracking, he got injured in the second half, but it was enough to get him through to the next round. From 4 teams last night, they picked 2 teams to play this weekend, and he is in the top 26 run on sides, in his favourite position, so he has an excellent chance to get in to the state team, he is pretty small though, so that will work against him. If he gets picked he will travel to Melbourne to play all the other states.
Today I took him to get some new shoulder pads, I was expecting to pay $80 or so, and when I got there they had some in a reduced bin for $5 ! so I also got him some skins and a Dragons ball as a reward for getting this far.

I have booked flights for J and I for Sydney, but still haven't worked out what to do with the kids it is causing me some stress, but we are getting there.

Mulan, I am going to check out that app, good work on the landscaping.
On Discipline.
I have to say I've never used reward charts or stuff, if I did it was short lived. I am pretty strict on my kids on some things, mainly respect things, manners, but I am very laissez faire on others, I try to pick my battles.
I think my kids are pretty well behaved in the whole. If something is done more than once and it is wasteful or destructive, I come down really hard. Usually to bed immediately if it is night. If it is daytime, they have to sit at my feet until they have had long enough to think about what they have done. I have found over the years that is about the worst punishment kids can get, my kids hate having to sit anywhere boring where I can watch them.

#30 Mulan

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

Janet I built in the competitiveness to some of the chores/tasks/behaviours with my kids as well, otherwise the teasing from competitiveness was going to be an issue. So if they help someone achieve a point then they get a point too. eg helping DD remember to brush her teeth then they got a point. Doing an acitivity together without arguments got a point (eg. putting washing away, packing away toys, playing a game with lots of laughter). Sharing for 20 minutes gets a point (for both sharers)
I'm adding to the task list frequently so it's got lots of options for the kids. Oh and DH and I are on there as well and the kids are realising how much stuff DH and I do as well. Daddy got LOTS of points for his work today.
Payouts are going joint too. So I explained to them that they can bank their points together for a payout. It's all customised. I need to earn 4000 points to get an ipad2, but I had to claim some points for my choice of takeaway dinner on Tuesday so the kids can see I'm not going to just earn points randomly and too quickly as well.

#31 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

Mulan, smart and sensible people like you mak me realise that I should probably have had fewer children, or none.  I'm not cut out fir thisparenting ggig.

Mel, well done to Lachlan.

Megan, thanks!

#32 mokeydoke

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hope you feel better quickly Mel, and have lots of help in the meantime. Is Justin still working heaps or have you been able to relax a bit (now the $US is do good? wink.gif ).

Parenting...I'm starting to think there's something in large age gaps because if I'd waited a bit longer I would have realised that sleepless nights etc etc are nothing compared to school aged issues! How heartbreaking to potentially have to deal with social issues/fights with friends/boyfriends and girlfriends times 4?!?! But then there must be something in the small gap because there's not one child I could imagine not being here (in general, sometimes missing one or three is no problem laughing2.gif)

Easter hunt day today!!! Hope it's not too hot outside because we've had a couple of years when they've been melted by the time of discovery. I love the Easter hunt tradition, getting all the cousins together.

#33 azalia

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Goodmorning! biggrin.gif

Janet - sounds like one of those days you wish you could just walk away from them all. Z sounds like she was way overtired and emotional.  Hope the drive home today is relativly quiet, as quiet as it can be! Do the older girls have any sleepovers on these holidays? Does Z get put out by having everyone home over the holidays? I think your doing a great job with all of your children, everyone does things differently and has good and bad moments of parenting.

Mandy - nice words from a 2 years old mouth! laugh.gif I can just imagine the looks you got! Masons hot tempered too, he launches himself at the person hes annoyed at. Thankfully he difuses as quick as he starts.

Mulan - its great that you are and dh are working so well together. Its a wonderful feeling.

Reward charts havent really helped here either, Im not huge on them.  Positive encouragement is always done naturally, and harsh telling off. Respectful well manered children is prime for me, other things I dont worry so much about. Kids are just being kids after all, and testing the boundaries is all part and parcel for growing up and learning.

Had a beautiful wedding yesterday, so so stunning. Coped pretty good actually, although my feet and pelvis are sore today. They have a day to recover before the next big one though wink.gif  I love my job so much, not one minute of it feels like work, its so rewarding, I feel very fortunate and blessed that I took a chance on it.  Just getting all the files off the computer now, dh is outside planting our trees that arrived yesterday and building the limestone wall thats going around the kids sandpit. Lucky kids.... its 9 metres x 5 metres so they are very lucky to be getting such a big sandpit!

#34 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

That's not a sandpit, that's a desert! laugh.gif

Janet what are you talking about? You're a great parent.

Woohoo gooo Lachy!

Shane's taken Caelan to the park, I'm 1ht while feeding Carys then will be getting back to cleaning before Ky & Neil get here tonight. Oh & they finally found out they're expecting a girl  biggrin.gif

#35 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Oh & Happy Easter/fertility festival/cluster of public holidays - whatever your persuasion is. Stay safe & have a lovely time  cool.gif

#36 Mulan

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

OH MY GOD Alinta, that is a massive sandpit, as Megan says it's a desert. That is 40% of my backyard and after the last 2 months with a sandpit out there I'm very pleased to have it gone now.

Turf is done and the weather forecast should help us over the next few days. Our tank is empty now so it needs refilling so we can empty it again anyway. Now all the hard landscaping is done I'm so looking forward to plant selections and choosing where they will all go. I'd love to get a tonne of gardenia's. They are far too water thirsty though so I'm sticking to natives.

Janet you are a wonderful parent. I don't think I could even imagine life with 5 children. Considering you have twins too you are bloody brilliant. I know I had to stop at 3 as 4 would just be too much for us. I have moments where I wish we had gone for more but I know DH would have always had some resentment. Parents are supposed to make mistakes but the worst thing we can do is put ourselves down as well.

#37 azalia

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

LOL its not that big!! We have a large backyard, there is still going to be a huge grassed area, as well as G's current huge 9x9 shed. The kids fort/play swing thing will be going in the sandpit, then they will have space to dig in it. I wanted a pool but G said no. So sand pit it is. Its been dug down to just under a metre, and then 3 or 4 trailor loads of white sand are coming on Wed to fill it. THey love to dig, and I like them to play outside laugh.gif We both win!

Megan - how lovely to be having a girl cousin close in age for Carys! Cute!!!

Edited by azalia, 22 April 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#38 mamaknits

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

waves.gif

How's everyone's weekend going? We have had a sleep in, and soem quiet play time and watched Men In Black and part of MIB2. Alex is now sitting down to reading eggs. Signed him up today. Why does it make him do everything twice? He's gettign frustrated with that. How do I check what level he is on? I'd like to know how far along we are before I sign up.. no point signing up for a year if he is close to teh end of their syllabus.

Looking forward to egg hunt on Sunday. It's a bring a plate affair and I am bringing mini quiches. Would they keep well overnight if I were to make them the day before? What do you think? Also bringing rocky road for some chocolate overload.

Alinta - what a sandpit! I agree! More liek a dessert! I am envious of anyone with a big back yard original.gif

Janet - I have seen you in action. you're a good parent so stop saying such rubbish about not having kids.

Mel - looks like it is all systems go for Sydney, and the US is all booked as well? Did you get your wish to stop in London? We're considering a US trip later this year. Hoping that if the AUD stays strong, it will make the trip a touch less exy for us.

#39 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

I was just having a $hite morning.  Sorry about the brain explosion!  Z woke up calling out for me at 5.13am and so I brought her into my bed, but me getting up woke the boys, so they came into bed with me too (and yes, I was singing "There were four in the bed..." in my head!).  Z fell asleep again, but the boys thought it was waking up time, and I had just taken 2 Mersyndol to get back to sleep as my shoulder was giving me grief, so I was completely drowsy and they wanted to get up by 6.30am.  Anyway, that's my excuse.

Mel, I parent the same way as you do - come down hard on lack of respect, bad manners etc (basically anything that impacts someone else negatively), and let a lot of things slide that my mother would have conniptions about!

I just seem to have run out of patience to deal with the constant competition and b**chiness.  When I say competition, I mean they will literally knock each other over in order to be the one who gets the packet of dried apricots from the cupboard (yes, trivial stuff like that).  I know that the pain I've been experiencing doesn't help, but I need to make more effort to be involved instead of just throwing my hands in the air.

Megan - how exciting to have a niece on the way!

Had an easy drive home (unlike the traffic leaving Sydney in the opposite direction, who encountered an accident at Pheasant's Nest - the tailbacks would have gone for at least 10km).  Tried to have a nap, but as usual I was woken 10 minutes into it by someone ringing on the doorbell trying to sell something, and couldn't get back to sleep.  Looking forward to my bed tonight...!

#40 Mulan

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

I know I can have a whinge here so bare with me. My toe freaking kills me. It's so ridiculously painful tonight and feels about the same as it did the day I broke it. ****ity **** **** **** I almost wish it had been cut off. Mersyndol for me tonight

#41 donthavetv

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

Janet, your post reminds me of an interview I saw once with a whole lot of Kennedy cousins. It included Maria Shriver. They were rattling off all the (mostly unreported) achievements of the younger Kennedy generation, and they were quite remarkable. When they asked Maria how the Kennedy's achieved so much and did things that most people would find difficult as a matter of course, she pointed to the fact that they all came from large families, and they were ridiculously competitive, they would compete over anything, and so the continuously raised the bar on achievement in the household. I have always remembered that, and I have always allowed a bit of good natured ribbing amongst my kids, and competitive spirit. They start over apricots, but hopefully it will turn into school marks etc, so don't completely discourage it, it is healthy !

I have muddles through this parenting gig, but I think the way I do it is working pretty well so it is probably the only way to do large families (the laissez faire bit that is lol)

#42 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

Mel when are your Sydney flights & will you have any time spare for a meet?

Mulan - owww! You forgot to add "tits" on the end grin.gif

Celia yes I'd make the quiches the day before, they'll be perfectly fine original.gif

Oh janet how annoying being woken from a nap for something like that - grrr!

Just waiting up for the dishwasher to finish so I can unpack & re-stack it to go on again. I think we used just about every pot, pan & bowl we own tonight.

#43 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

That is interesting, Mel.  And I am not against a bit of healthy competitiveness.  I suppose it's the pushy physical competitiveness that knocks people over that crosses that line into disrespect for others...  If only I could teach them how to differentiate between the two!

Mulan, I hope you are getting the rain we're getting!  Steady since I crawled out of bed at 7am.  Will be perfect for your new turf!!!

Having a bit of a chuckle - J did a load of washing yesterday, but didn't hang it out.  He put it on the line yesterday afternoon, planning to leave it o/n and then today.  Well, it's still there, but it's saturated wink.gif  I'm on my second load of the morning, after 1 last night, and 1 overnight, and have another one to go after that.  The dryer is getting a workout.  If the boys are allowed to have a lazy day today (they're watching Thomas DVDs - or "deeby-deebies" as Leo calls them), then so am I - folding washing, and knitting.  Maybe even a nap later wink.gif

#44 codex

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Janet, I was just looking at the photo of the kids on FB and marveling at the resemblances between certain ones  laugh.gif .  Grace and Zara are like twins!

#45 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Funny you should say that, Codex.  A couple of weeks ago, Z walked G into her classroom and there were two Year 2 boys there, and one grabbed the other and pointed to Z and said, "See? That one!  They look the same, I told you!". Cracked me up, until I realized the teachers are going to have the "twins" at school together next year...

#46 Mulan

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

I'll add the tits this time then Megan. ****, ****, ****, ****ity, sh*t, bugger, ****, TITS. I'm so sick of this pain and I know I should just stop walking around on soft surfaces, digging mulch etc. I can't leave it for someone else to do as DH doesn't have the time right now. I still have no idea what do do about shoes to wear to the wedding tomorrow. I'm wearing the dress I wore to Sel's wedding. Heels are out because of toe. Black flats to suit are also out because of the shape at the toes. Boots are out because they have heels. I have a pair of strappy black sandals but broke one last week. I can wear a pair of flat colarado court style shoes but it looks very ordinary. I really shouldn't care though, comfort is more important.

#47 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Mulan, I hope your pain has eased somewhat overnight.  Can you tape the toe to its neighbour?  I found this really helped when I broke my toe a few years ago.  The minute I untaped it, the pain came back.  It took several months, though, for it to heal to the point of not being tender (I thought this was abnormal until I asked a few people, who said they'd experienced the same thing).

I need sleep.  A was still awake at 11.30pm waiting for the Easter bunny.  She only went to sleep because I told her he always waits until children are asleep before he comes!  And then she was up at 5.43am excitedly hunting eggs with her sisters.

J has taken the girls to his parents' place.  I think he's leaving them there and coming back, but I'm not sure.  If he stays, I think I will put the boys to bed, and go back to bed myself!

#48 donthavetv

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

sorry Megan, I didn't answer your q re Sydney. We have been fluffing about, J booked both of us, but we have come to the realisation that is just can't happen, the two grandparents there are, whinge and moan so much it makes it impossible to deal with, so I am probably bringing Lachy or Audrey depending on whether Lachy gets into the state team. At this stage I will stay in Paddo on the Thursday night for the event, an then head down to Ramsgate for the next two as we have football tickets on Sunday.

#49 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

Mel, would love to catch up on the Saturday - would you and your entourage like to come to our place for lunch or dinner?

#50 donthavetv

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Sounds fabulous Janet. Do you know if the 113 still runs from Ramsgate to Hurstville ? I wouldn't mind going there to get some Dragons merch, and I could go on the way to your place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.