January 07 Parents # 538

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
275 replies to this topic

#226 Onemorebub

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks girls the fall was 9 days ago but after all the swelling we were left with a 'dent' that felt soo wrong so I thought I'd check it out the ct showed a 4mm dent with no blood so I think this is good? I hope since there is no blood now that means there cant be further damage later on but I refuse to google, have had a pretty crummy day and feeling woe is me. sorry.

Well done Rb and Mel you go girls!!

Alinta you make me clucky but my mind changes one day to the next dh suggested we go again the other day but I'm not sure I've got it in me !! the whole pregnancy/birth is a big job!!

#227 azalia

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Quick question. Nipples hurting lots when Indi feeding, just had a look in the shower and they are bleeding around the outside. She attaches fine, but just has serious sucking, I've not had this before, what can I get/do?

#228 casspice

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Lansinoh Alinta. Wonderful stuff original.gif
Any pharmacy should have it

Edited by casspice, 17 May 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#229 ~Jules~

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Bon, I hope you don't beat yourself up too much about this - accidents happen - it seems as though he is ok, will/when do you go to see the Dr to discuss the CT results?

I love that you're already talking about another one the minute she was born, Alinta - can't wait to see photos too.  Just got on to reply about the nipples, but don't know that I'll be any help.  I didn't have any issues with DD but with DS it was excruciating - I'm sure 'they' would say that it suggests there is an attachment issue, so maybe worth just getting your midwife to have a look next visit - though I don't think it's always the case and for us it was probably just more a combo of a sensitivity/super sucking and frequent feeding thing.  You have my sympathy though - I remember cursing and holding my breath when he'd attach, cringing at the sting in the shower, the bleeding and scabs, and at the time saying that it was worse or more traumatic than the birth!  I tried nipple shields, with little success - but may help for you?  Also, even just some panadol or other to take the edge of it.  Um.. what else, lanisnoh (can't remember exact name) on them and letting them 'air' whenever you can.

Well done Mel!  Will go check it out now.  original.gif

#230 mokeydoke

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

I'd also just use the Lansinoh. Does she have a tongue tie? Kimbal does/did, and he was the only one who grazed me (although I didn't really notice at the time, he seemed to feed normally). He sorted it out after a week or so though, and I just used that gooey stuff in the meantime.

#231 donthavetv

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

If she has a super strong suck and is not attaching properly, which is common after you haven't fed for a while, she is going to rip you to shreds. Get your midwife to check your attachment as soon as poss, they all have slightly different mouths etc and attach differently. Then rub the breast milk on the nipple, it is the most effective healing agent.
I remember having to re attach Scarlett constantly as she was in such a hurry to suck the life out of me, that I found it hard to get her attached properly in time.

#232 azalia

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Thankyou, yes just found the lansinoh cream that I bought 'just in case' when I was pregnant with Byron.  Yes Jules I was cringing under my breath the whole shower time, agony. Mw reckons she attaches well but I'll get her to double check tomorrow. Also ask about her tongue.  Thankyou:) typical that this time I really really was commited to breastfeeding longer, and this is the only time it hurts.

Having big issues with mason at bedtime, he won't go and is hysterical, started a week ago. Better go put him back again, he just keeps crying and coming out of his room. He doesn't back down either, last night dh and I walked him back to bed about 20 times by 11pm when we went to sleep. Makes for a very tired boy in the morning.

#233 donthavetv

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hand over your gorgeous girl to Gareth and sit with him for as long as he needs. He is going to need you more than the other two for a little while.

#234 azalia

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Yes, very much so. Gareth is in bed with him now, he wanted to cause it's his last night. I'll start tomorrow night or just pop him in with me in the middle Indi and mason on either side.

#235 lissiloo

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hang in with the feeding Alinta, just when you think that the pain and grazing is impossible to deal with it'll start to improve. Glad things are going so well so far, have the afterbirth contractions eased now?

Ouch Bon, poor B and poor you! Please don't beat yourself up over it, you've done well getting it checked out when you saw that things were not quite right.

Just been out for dinner with my book group, to a Portuguese restaurant. Yummy and nice to have a night off from the kids   biggrin.gif  Spent the afternoon doing the "walk of shame" down our local shopping street trying to get donations for our upcoming trivia night and silent auction. Had some successes, mostly indifference. Tomorrow I have to go back and see a few bosses/managers, then my job will be done. Yay.

Hey, how long should I wait now that I have weaned Jack before I go out and get some new bras? I'm going to go and get fitted properly, and buy myself a few nice pairs, throw out ALL the feeding ones and all my ancient pre-baby ones too!

Well, might go and browse the new group, and then head off to bed. Looking forward to my girl-free day tomorrow. Got to try to fit some work in there though, if Jack lets me  rolleyes.gif Oh and it's portfolio day at school so we get to go and look at her work, and then the girls are going to a birthday party -- PJs, movie (at the birthday girl's house) and Maccas. They can't wait!

Cheers
Lissiloo

#236 azalia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

Liss- yes must hang in there I reLly want to feed till at least when I start work back again this time ideally longer though. Bra wise when I was a fitter 5 years ago we always told breastfeeding ladies to wait till 4/8 weeks after finishing to return to size they will be. Afterpains are still bad, taking panadol extra which is taking the edge off.

Little miss is having her awake period, this was her only awake period in utero too from 11:30 till 12 ish. She just lies there making a few cute noises.

Apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks  wink.gif Dexter has learnt to poo out of the sandpit and in the back mulch area. Positive reinforcement from g worked.

Hoping it's not raining again when I get up tomorrow, it rained most of yesterday, as our house is too dark to do photos in on rainy days.

#237 Mulan

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Good work from G with Dexter. Makes life so much easier when the dog can keep the yard child friendly. I don't believe that saying anyway. It takes more reinforcement but it does happen. I can't remember if I suggested putting some dry dog food around where you don't want him to go (ie sandpit) because dogs don't like to poop where they sleep and eat. Now you have the positive reinforcement for the right location you have to keep it up too to keep the smell of food in the area.

I had grazed sore nipples a couple of times and found it wasn't the initial attachment that was the issue it was after a little while and towards the end of the feed that was causing the pain as she got lazy and slipped a little.

Oh Bon poor little B, must have had quite a headache. Don't beat yourself up. I had a fractured skull as a child also and it wasn't found until it was already healing and my parents still guess that it could have been one of several different possible falls or conks on the head that caused it.

Hey great news on the raining in Perth. How funny to hear you are hoping for no rain though.

Well I better head off to get ready for work. Wish I wasn't though. Just focusing on next week and no work although the long drive to Melbourne will not be fun either.

#238 cuddlymumof4

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Ohhh no Bon, please take it easy on yourself. I know it is hard with things like this though sad.gif.

Alinta: Hope Mason settles back into routine quickly for you. Glad to hear everything else is going well for you though.

Mel: Well done on getting on the front page of the newspaper original.gif.

Liss: Enjoy your day. Sounds like a great birthday party the girls are going too.

#239 azalia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

Goodmorning. Sitting here with my beautiful little girl in her Mei Tai sling, she is so comfy and I love it, glad I bought it. Im sure your sick of hearing it, but I am just so so in love, she is the sweetest little thing, and it is the most amazing feeling having a baby this time. I think partly because I am in a much more content place in my life, and also part that she is my daughter. I feel a bit teary each time I think of it actually, its so lovely to watch the boys so tender with her and Gareth too, it makes me wish my Mum were here though so much more.

Its beautiful and sunny here, so have just put the fire on to heat the house and will hopefully do some photos. G still hasnt heard back, I keep telling him to call them again, but he doesnt want to, I think hes quite happy to delay as much as possible.

MW checked attatchment this morning, and she is pulling her bottom lip in when sucking, so I have to make sure I pull it out around the nipple. Hopefully that helps things, as my milk will come through tomorrow morning.

Liss - enjoy your day!

Mulan - so you are all going to graduation now? Hope the week goes quick for you.

Edited by azalia, 18 May 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#240 mokeydoke

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

But could you please stop sounding so happy Alinta, it makes me clucky wink.gif How lovely to just snuggle a little baby all day long. Good luck with the photos, I hope she does exactly what you want her to do.

Today would be the day I'm starting to feel quite sick/fluey - I have to walk to school to pick up the car after a service this morning (and hopefully they will fix my drink holders - omg what did I used to do without my coffee holder?!) AND I have potentially 3 extra children here this afternoon so I've had to clean all day. One girl is in Olivia's class and always asks to come over, I relented for the first time this term, and her brother gets on well with Kimbal - except he's in year 2 - then there is another brother in kindergarten that I feel kind of obliged to invite even if the kids don't understand why rolleyes.gif

I've also been thinking of Olivia's birthday party next month. She wanted a masterchef cooking party, but I'm having a cbf'd moment and am thinking of booking into a bowling party instead. It's only $14.50/child and would save me doing anything. She has a limit of 10 kids anyway, including Kimbal and Lu, so I think it's worth it!

Ugh so sick and tired

#241 donthavetv

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

I need to organise a June party too as I promised Antonia one. She has only had one party in the last few years and that was in Kindy ! poor kid. You will remember however, that she opted to come to Sydney instead last year.
I also have to due to the other two having special parties in America this year.
I don't know where to go, there are hardly any things here that aren't totally overpriced. Can't do a home party in winter, what the hell would they do ??.
I am getting some cleaning done today, just went up the shops. So nice to have my 'days' back again on Tuesday/Wed. I missed them in the holidays, I feel so much more in control of my life when I have time to do stuff.
Booked our baseball tickets this morning. we were going to see the yankees, but the Disneyland stopover put our arrival in NYC back a day and we wont be there in time, so I booked tickets to a Mets game. I don't think it matters all that much, we just want to see one. They were cheaper anyhow, and have a families section.
Last night I had to change the back end of the itinerary around to accommodate Justin wanting to go back to Philly. So we will fly out of Philly back to LA. I love Philly, but I am so reluctant to squeeze too much into the trip, I think he has forgotten how manic the last trip was. rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to seeing Indi tomorrow ! biggrin.gif

#242 cheekymonkey

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Bon - how awful for poor B. But please don't feel guilty. Accidents happen and you were very good chasing up when it didn't seem right once healed.

Mel - great job being front page.

#243 mamaknits

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

http://www.ouffer.com/ouffer/965/source/email - for the next nsw "national" meet? wink.gif

#244 Onemorebub

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks girls I really needed that! I feel so much better today now I have been assured he should be fine and have an appt in 2 weeks.
They said when he did it, it is very painful to fracture your skull and since he had stopped crying once at the hospital they thought not I have a very brave boy with only one dose of panadol.

Alinta you continue to make me clucky maybe you could just give me Indhi?
I'm sorry you miss your mum more but just think, life has given you back that bond now with Indhi!

I miss Jill? where are you Jill?

#245 donthavetv

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

Bon, just on the skull fracture. Did they do continuous neuro obs on him in hossy ? I think it is pretty bad that they missed it, not you, but the professionals that are trained to spot these things. I was kept in hospital for 8 hours with Lachlan, including a CT to be sure. They were very thorough with him and wouldn't let us leave until they had checked and double checked.

#246 mamaknits

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Bon, I agree with Mel. You're not a trained professional. You did your job as a mother and took him to see a trained professional. It is the doctor or doctors who should have recommended extra scans etc. please don't blame yourself for this. It is a relief it is now spotted and tehy will do something about it. It's late but at least now rather than later.

I'll be back later for proper posts. Very scattered at the moment.

#247 Mulan

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Can the Melbourne girls and Laura head to the fb group and the heading south thread and I'll try to sort out my itinerary to catch up with some people.
Im about to book tickets for the king tut exhibit too. Thanks Liss I forgot it was on. We will go next Thursday afternoon before graduation night

Yes Alinta we are all going now. It's been hard to arrange this time with staffing issues but it's all go now.

Bon if he was not symptomatic they would not do an x ray so don't beat yourself up. You are great mum to follow up when you were worried. Don't google. Lots of crap information out in the Internet.

I need something to wear to graduation. I'm thinking I need to spend some time at chadstone to get a new outfit. Anyone want to be my stylist?

My parents want to get me a graduation gift, so perhaps a new outfit, I was also thinking a piece of artwork, nothing too expensive, funky but French provincial style. I don't know where to start looking. or maybe I should just ask for another tea cup. I'm building a high tea set collection it seems. I didn't intend to start collecting but I do have a collection, so perhaps I need to officially collect them

Edited by Mulan, 18 May 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#248 lissiloo

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

Mel -- Antonia is going to be 8? You can do a winter party, you just need a very strong theme. For Ella's birthday we had a girly party, we painted nails, put glitter on cheeks etc. As A is older, you could do more, eg enlist some friends to braid hair or spray with colour, do "makeovers" with amazing dressups and then take a photo of each kid in their finery perhaps. pick up loads of costume props from the opshops -- scarves etc. Just an idea anyway!

Alinta -- you sound very happy! See, it was worth the wait eh?

Cheers
Lissiloo

#249 Naz32

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

I have five quick minutes while dinner is cooling but I justneed to write this down somewhere.  I had the funniest conversation with lily ever tonight and had to share it since you all have 4 yr olds probably coming out with some funny stuff too Im sure you can appreciate it.

We are diving in the car a backroad home between mums and our place to miss the traffic and we have to go over an old weir/causeway and as we are going over it...

L - Mum look there is a cross on that tree - Thats where Jesus must have died
N - (holding back the laughter) No mate, a man crossed the weir when it was flooded and the water pulled him off and he drowned so its a cross for him.
L - Well Jesus died on a cross didnt he mum and the man at nanas church said then he came back to life.  Why did he die? When did he die?
N - Well Jesus died to help all of us.  It was along time ago and he did it to help all of man. etc etc and I finshed with something that pertained to him being ouir father he created all of us
L - WHAT - he is not my father my dad is Gavin
N - yes I know but Jesus created man just like daddy and mummy made you so he is everyones father
L - why would you say that Gavin isnt my dad - how did he make people
N - He has a special magic that helped him create us and all the world
L - WOW is that where my special sparkly pen came from - the fathers magic

and on and on the conversation went.  it was hilarious.  Better than the one this morning where she wanted to know where babies came out of your tummy from.  I told her the spcial baby doctor helps mummies have babies and she said all exasperated YES but where do they pop out of.  I told her we could talk about it tonight after preschool as I didnt want that fresh in her mind and I needed stalling time to think and she said well ring the baby doctor and ask him alright and tell me tonight!!!! Kids.

BOnnie - that is terrible news - I can understand how stressed you must have been.  I agree with Mel though that it is something that the hospital should have picked up.

Alinta - bless.  You sound so content.  I hope G can stay as long as possible and Mel give little I and big A a massive kiss and cuddle from me  O X

Can little kids eyes get tested? Do you just go to a normal eye check place? Simon is black and blue.  He is constantly falling and hitting his head that I just want to get him checked out.  He looks like Docs should take him off me at the moment.  How many eggs is one egg too many that might do some brain damage.  He has fallen a few times and landed on his forehead and his cheeks.  He worries me so much.

OK Time for dinner.  Great nighto f telly tonight. Sarah has put herself to bed at 6pm so might be an early start in the morning - oh well.  On ly 2 more sleeps and Gav is home - yay.  15 days till move EEEK

#250 donthavetv

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I thought of that Liss, but that would horrify her, she hates girly stuff  laughing2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.