January 07 Parents # 538

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
275 replies to this topic

#51 mokeydoke

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

No word from Alinta? Tounge1.gif It's around about the time everyone will be logging on to find out if anything is happening/has happened.

Just have Curtis with me at home today. I should do something with him other than clean and feed, but I have lost my mojo. I can't entirely blame the weather, even if it is miserable, because I've been this way for a couple of months now. I'm not depressed, I'm actually super happy most of the time, I just have to force myself to do anything.

Good luck Naplaners today.

I had to pop a note in Olivia's school bag today for her teacher. I have been thinking all year that she hasn't been pushed at all, and I really should try to talk to the teacher about extending her in some areas (reading and spelling in particular - she bought home a level 5 book last week  huh.gif and level 22 the week before so there's no consistency there - and she read the level 22 easily). Anyway, yesterday afternoon I realised she'd left her spelling folder at home so I asked if she had written down the spelling words somewhere. Nope. I asked what she did while everyone else was writing down a list of 12 spelling words, and she said she played with her name tag for a while  rolleyes.gif
So I got the list from a friend and this morning thought I would test her without her writing them down first, and she got them all right. I'm not surprised, they are still doing really easy words that rhyme so it's not to hard to figure out how to spell wet when you can spell get, jet, bet etc etc When we got to school this morning I looked in the book she was writing in and she had written 'I am cold. There is a frost. It is freezing and it is nearly (nerly) winter.'. So while I don't think she is a genius or anything, I do think she is a bit beyond 3 letter rhyming words. It's frustrating because she is in a composite class, and every so often when she's writing something she'll say 'That's a spelling word for year 2!' and she has no trouble spelling those even.

Peter just came home so I had to cut this short laughing2.gif feeling like he must think all I do is sit on the computer and drink tea all day long wink.gif

#52 azalia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Still here tongue.gif

Stressed, been awake again since 1.30 am so I am tired and emotional. Part of me just wishes dh would get on that plane just so Im not under daily stress to produce this baby. The other part thinks its ridiculous that we would put a job/money ahead of the birth of one of our children. I understand he is in a tough spot, but I dont know what else I can do to sort this out, aside from book an induction in.  I should add he isnt pushing me into anything, and doesnt want me to book in an induction, but just the knowing, and him having to do daily phone calls to the company to tell them 'no baby today', Im finding stressful.

Going to try to distract myself today.

Mandy - isnt that what you do all day??!! wink.gif

Megan - Is Cary's recoverd now? I heard it is freezing there this morning!!!

Edited by azalia, 10 May 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#53 MoonPie

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Operation Distract Alinta, phase 1.

Name something you are going to do today that you shouldn't?
If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here Tounge1.gif) what would you name the baby?
How frequently do you say "I love you" to your partner? Kids?
Are your toenails currently painted?
Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Do you use 1000TC sheets? Are they awesome? Should I spend $70 on a set?
And finally, if Alinta's baby were a boy, what should she name it? Given her current boys' names etc.

Eat sundried tomatoes for lunch.
If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here Tounge1.gif) what would you name the baby?
Zoe June or George Geoffrey
Constantly to DD, she even rolls her eyes now. Pathetically frequently to DP, but that's because its new and shiny and he keeps bringing me flowers Tounge1.gif
Why yes, yes they are. A revolting shade of deep pink. My sister painted them on the weekend.
Joey, Chandler or Ross?
I love Chandler (and yes, I'm watching reruns of Friends Tounge1.gif)
Pfft, that's a crazy amount to spend on linen. Right?
And finally, if Alinta's baby were a boy, what should she name it? Given her current boys' names etc.
Henry  wub.gif wub.gif

#54 Onemorebub

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Alinta its easy to say forget about the 'then' and concentrate on the 'now' but this is what I will suggest anyway! xxx I am so excited for the birth of your lil girl!

We have been very social/busy since moving to  town I love it! almost every aspect is great!!

B fell off the kitchen bench on sat and we rushed him to hospital because it felt as if his head had caved in not out scary scary but his swelling was going around the 'normal part of his skull so it appears it wasnt, very thankfully what we feared I was blaming myself terribly, these things happen soo quickly!

And today I have T sick today last night he was saying 'I am sooo sick! super sick!" poor darling!

#55 mokeydoke

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Um apart from constantly check forums/emails/fb/messages, I just spent an hour reading a book in the sun.

If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here ) what would you name the baby?
Nina Evelyn

Rarely to DH, we just don't. Reminds me of that song 'baby can you hold me'. We rarely so sorry either. Are we doomed? wink.gif kids I love bigger than the world daily.

No

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Neither

I have some on layby but will patiently wait until next pay to give my verdict

#56 mokeydoke

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Alinta's baby boy would be Carter, but it's not going to happen wink.gif

#57 mokeydoke

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

It has annoyed me that Olivia is known as Olivia A at school, although I noticed her write O.Q.A on one of her worksheets laughing2.gif so actually Nina might be out. Jemima Eve is another option.
I can't think of a boy's name.
I can't edit on my phone Tounge1.gif

#58 thebell

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

eat savoys and philly original.gif

Obviously it would be a girl and she would be Jemima too! Loving that name atm. Jemmy.

Alot of the time.

No, well kind of, it's wearing off.

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Blergh. How you doin?

I do not. Probably. If you have the cash.

This is too hard!! Umm... Honestly I am blank.

DId you all hear Princess Mary's baby names?? Josephine and Vincent? WTF? Why can't she pick Danish names? Make them more popular!

Brad is currently on the phone with the bank to see about getting a second car. No more 5 am wake ups for me!!
xx

#59 MoonPie

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Josephine and Vincent?
Omg I love love love them so much wub.gif wub.gif

#60 ~Jules~

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm already thinking I will probably check whether there are any 'reduced to clear' Easter eggs left when I go in to Woollies...

If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here ) what would you name the baby? I don't know?!  Was hard enough deciding on names for our real babies!

How frequently do you say "I love you" to your partner? Kids? Most days to the kids and to DH most times we say goodbye on phone.. probably most days too, but seeing as we haven't seen each other in about 6wks, I can hardly remember lol.

No.

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Chandler.

Do you use 1000TC sheets? Are they awesome? Should I spend $70 on a set?  No, I wonder the same thing?  Be interested to see the answers because we have just bought a king size bed and need to buy new linen, but I can never decide these things and usually just go for the cheapest.

And finally, if Alinta's baby were a boy, what should she name it? Given her current boys' names etc.  Um... Leon?  Tobias?  Archer?

#61 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Name something you are going to do did today that you shouldn't?
Eat the last 2 ANZAC biscuits and a shortbread biscuit and a hot cross bun.
If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here ) what would you name the baby?
Boy - perhaps Finley/Finn or Jenson
Girl - Isla or perhaps Leila
Partner - usually at least daily, not always though
Kids - constantly
No. They're in no fit state for polish, I'm a picker blush.gif
Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Chandler
Yes, Target ones. Yes, though they do shrink a bit in the dryer which is a problem on our bed as we have one of those pillow topped matresses and a sheepskin underlay which really bulks up the matress depth. Yes, spend the money, you're worth it.

Too hard! I'll say something starting with Z as B is at the start of the alphabet & M is right in the middle so a Z name would balance it out nicely.

Josephine and Vincent?

I love Josephine, not all that keen on Vincent. I think they have to choose from a limited approved list though I'm sure there are other more Danish names on there.

Bon it's so great to hear you're loving it in town, I was going to ask that of you this morning but I ran out of time. Far out how scary with B's fall, so glad he's OK.

MOA! Where are you????

Alinta - no Carys is still sick. We went back to the Dr yesterday but they said there's really nothing to be done as it's most likely a viral upper respiratory tract infection & she's otherwise very well. It's really just nights that are bad with very laboured breathing but we're doing OK. Yes it was so cold over the last few mornings. We've started getting frosts now which is actually a little later in the season than usual so we're lucky really. We still haven't needed to use the heater yet but I think that's going to change soon.

Carys has started to give a few smiles now which are just beautiful. I haven't managed to get them on film yet but I have some near misses. I need to upload some pics to FB.

OK, feed over & I need to go again waves.gif

#62 mamaknits

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Make and eat 5minute chocolate cake

Amelia (though recently I have been thinking Sonya might be nice, but Chris is not on board)

All the time

Nope

Joey, Chandler or Ross?

*shrug* none of the above?

We have 2 sets of Target ones - A M A Z I N G! Love them. Bought them when they were 50% off.

Dunno..

Megan, hope Carys gets better soon.

Sel, I'm sorry to hear you had to drop out of your course but you did what you had to. In a few years all the kids will be at school and everythign will be more sane, I think, and you can pick it up again. Good to hear Brad is working more.

#63 azalia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hmmmm go and buy another block of chocolate considering I just polished off one last night.

If you gave birth today (hypothetical for 99% of us in here ) what would you name the baby?Aria, Estella or Savannah

All the time to the kids and at least before sleep to dh.

Yes but only just!

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
None!!!

Yes:) for our wedding present with vouchers we bought Sheridan 1000 thread hotel collection sheets. 5.5 years later they are still in perfect condition and feel amazing!

It would have been either Tobias or Campbell

#64 Mulan

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Have a glass of wine after the kids go to bed

Amelia, Meredith, Xavier, Alannis

How frequently do you say "I love you" to your partner? Kids? all the time for all of them, every time I say goodbye. Every morning when they wake up and before they go to bed. I'm sippy with them

No

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Chandler

Yes, love them. $70 is cheap but still good for lovely sheets too.

Archer

Wow just saw that Arnold and Maria shriver have split. After 25 years you would think they would last it out for a lot longer.

I need to head to fb and arrange to catch up when we head south soon

Edited by Mulan, 10 May 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#65 Denghiu

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

LOL! Megan made me laugh, I'm quietly reading along and there comes this SHOUTING! with my name. I am here, really I am, just not writing much lately. 8hrs in front of the computer at work I tend to not spend much time on the computer at home. That as well as sleeping early original.gif

I love your list Reb, I'll make an effort for Alinta's sake original.gif

eat oat ice-cream, I just did that, it was great, tasted like normal ice-cream, but I have gained 10 kg since moving to sweden and really should not be having any such crap.

Amelia (Pond, I just watched Dr Who original.gif ), naah... Mio.

Hardly ever to DP, often to the kids, although not today as they were complete little sh*ts! Took us 1hr to get to preschool this morning when it should have taken 20min, making me late for my meeting, then when we got home Linus broke a pearl necklace I gave to Ava that I had when I was a little girl (real pearls), he did it because he thought it was funny.

Nope, and they are long and disgusting too.

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
Ross is a looser, Joey is a blonde and Chandler... a dork but I guess Chandler original.gif

We have 750 TC tops I think, I like our sheets. Do it!

Who was it who said Carter, I say Carter too, I like that, it fits.

Sel- sorry to hear you had to quit your course. Good luck on the car purchase too. And Vincent is quite a common name in Sweden and probably in Denmark now too. What would you have them name them instead.

Lets all rename the danish royal children

Lars and Marit!

Hope all the kids did ok with their Naplan and that there were no tears or freak-outs. Stupid idea to put so much pressure on the kids for a test that means nothing anyway.

Megan- I hope Carys gets better from her infection soon. It is so hard when the little ones have these long drawn out illnesses. We've been battling colds and respiratory infections all winter over here and they are still going. Drs here don't even want to see you though unless they have a fever, even though they've had this cough for months.

Mandy- Why is Nina out because Olivia is called Olivia A, is Nina really common?

#66 mokeydoke

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

Na Moa, I've just heard of 2 born recently. Just hearing it around annoys me. I love hearing little kids call out to Kim across the playground, it's so unique to him at 5 there's no doubt they mean him. Although there are a few 50 year old Kim's in town, which surprises me too.

I quite like Vincent and Josephine, the only thing that annoys me a little is that Josephine is a male name first that's just been feminised- like there aren't enough good girls names in the world laughing2.gif

I'm easily annoyed this morning, for want of a different word.

What is oat ice-cream? If I was going to gain 10kg in Sweden it would be on chocolate, not something that sounds like frozen porridge laughing2.gif

Hmm better do the school thing. Back later.

#67 Denghiu

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

oat ice-cream is not what I've gained 10kg on, the 10kg comes from working and having too many meetings with coffee and cake! but oat-ice cream is ice cream made on oat milk. It tastes like normal ice-cream.

#68 azalia

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

Still here. I feel like its never going to happen. Have had next to no contractions for the last 2 days.

Moa - lovely to hear from you!! I imagine if I lived in a cold country I would end up the size of a house!!!

#69 MoonPie

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

It will happen Alinta, and soon you and G will be cuddling that beautiful baby girl. Try and hold on to your calm and focus, k? Thinking of you xx

#70 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

The Danish royal twins should be called Darcy and Juliet, of course!

Do nothing?  Have a nanna nap?  I feel hungover (I had 1.5 glasses of wine with dinner last night).  Need sleeeeeeeeeep...

Juliet or Finlay or Felix

Every day to all of them, although sometimes it's only to the kids after they've gone to sleep wink.gif

Yes, but the sort that is cracking and peeling and has seen better days.

Joey, Chandler or Ross?
I'm a geek at heart - Ross for sure.

I dont' know - I bought some higher-TC sheets from COTD last year, and I love them.  I can't believe that 1000TC sheets are considered such a luxury item here in Australia.  In the US, I don't think you could give away anything less than that!

Harvey - I know it sounds a bit yucky, but there is a gorgeous blonde boy at Z's preschool called Harvey, and it suits him: a big cuddly sweety!  Just like I would expect any boy of Alinta's to be!

#71 lissiloo

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hmm, it's my birthday today so it means I can do anything I want, right? I might treat myself to a burger for lunch. And I'm having some wine with dinner tonight!

No idea! Seriously! I do like Kate, always wanted it for Poppy but Ella's middle name was Caitlin.

At least once a day to the kids. Poppy is going through a very loving stage so she tells me all the time. With DH? oh probably once or twice a week.

Nope.

Joey, Chandler or Ross?

Joey would make me laugh and I reckon he'd be good for a fun night  wink.gif but that's about it. Ross eeuw and Chandler is a wuss.  

I'd LOVE to get some 1000TC sheets. I have some that are 400-500 and lovely and soft. One day ...

Yes, Carter works for me too.

Going to be a bit of a blah birthday today I think, I must be premenstrual as I'm gearing up for the worst  rolleyes.gif  DH left early for a dental appointment he made 6 months ago, and he's got a school reunion dinner tonight. Sigh. My parents are coming over though to make me dinner and help with the kids tonight. And DH might come home during the day if he can manage it, although he thinks he probably can't. Sigh. Both girls are at school/kinder all day and I have an electrician coming between 11-1pm to hopefully install a new heatlamp/light/vent in our bathroom as the one we have is on its last legs. So I might not even get to go out for lunch. Sigh.

AS you can see I'm in a "mood". It doesn't help that winter has started -- its p*ssing down and currently 9.5C with an expected top of 13. Lovely.

I got PJs and slippers for my birthday from the girls, and a couple of cookbooks and a sleeve for my ipad (which was also a birthday pressie) from Jack and DH.

I think the Danish twins should get a name from their Aussie heritage -- Kylie and Bruce? Gazza and Wazza?  biggrin.gif

Alinta -- today is a very good day to have a baby so I'm sending you birthday vibes!!!

Cheers
Lissiloo

Edited by lissiloo, 11 May 2011 - 10:06 AM.

#72 mokeydoke

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

Just thought I'd update on my situation with Olivia's teacher yesterday - apparently she did write the words on a piece of paper and was supposed to write them in her book when she came home. I don't know about that laughing2.gif but now she knows I'm onto her  ph34r.gif
The other interesting thing was the level of the spelling words. I asked her for extension words, she said Olivia and a few others already had them and she was hesitant to add any more to the board in case she scared the other kids off  unsure.gif (are you listening Celia?). So obviously catering to the lower levels in the class...so I very bravely suggested she start on some of the year 2 words. I mean, it's a composite class! Both lists are written on the board for the kids to copy, Olivia could just copy a couple from that list as well. So the teacher said ok, no worries, she'd put the list in Olivia's bag today but then she turned to her and said 'okay Olivia? But there's some tricky ones, there's 3 different sorts of BY' and Olivia laughed and said to me as she got into the car 'BY, BYE and BUY'. I said (smartypants), 'so tell me, if I said "I went to the shop to buy a cake..." and she got it, and got the other contexts/spellings right as well.
It makes me a little cranky at myself actually that I haven't asked for this earlier.
But she still can't do maths Tounge1.gif

Ok, off to make playdough now...

#73 mokeydoke

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Happy birthday Liss!

#74 MoonPie

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Have a WONDERFUL Birthday Liss, enjoy the burger xx

#75 azalia

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Happy Birthday Liss!!!! biggrin.gif  Hope you have a fabbo day. Have you got nice things planned?

Mandy - thats so frustrating!!! Smark cookie she is. Our local school is quite known for catering to the lower end of the spectrum with learning, which is part of the reason why I didnt put the kids in there. But they should be allowing the children to advance if they are wanting to. I suppose its hard for them having such broad learning ranges. What you were doing with her in the car sounds quite good, and good for her mind.

Reb - Chanelling those calm calm thoughts wink.gif

Damn dog, I thought when we did this sandpit that the only thing we would have to worry about is cats getting into it and peeing in it. But Dexter has decided its his new spot to wee and poo. Any ideas about how I can try to get him to stay out of the sandpit for his waste?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.