Don't pity me because my child has Down syndrome
Jules' story

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

On Mother's Day the family went out for lunch, and then for a wander around the shops. My husband Gaz and our three older girls finished lunch before I did, and wanted to go and look into some electronic shops, that did not take my fancy, so I told them to go ahead, and I would follow. I got a coffee, and a paper, and periodically leaned across into my youngest daughter Georgia's pram, to chat, or kiss, or coo. It just comes naturally to me to be all over the kid, they all give me joy, and she is no exception.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw many people look on in pleasure, and that made me smile too. That was, until a family passing nearby smiled as they caught us mid kiss, and then recoiled, as I moved away from Georgia's face, and they spotted that she had something a little different. Something a little extra. I tried not to see the look of pity that replaced the smile on their faces, but then, I heard one of the older members of the family say..."Oh, I hope she has other children".

Read more
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...0509-1ef62.html

You may know Julia (Jules363) from the feature member story she shared with EB in 2006, or from the adorable sig in her profile. Her journey has since led in a new direction, as she shares in this update.

You can leave a message for Jules here.

#2 gfgirl

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

your story is very encouraging and your daughter is just beautiful!

#3 JuliaGulia

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

I love this Jules.  Very well written, and it needs to be said.

#4 Bluemist

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

I just had to drop in and say I don't pity you at all- I think you are TOTALLY awesome. You are gorgeous and everything that you have written here totally is true. I pity the person that made the comment.

#5 LambChop

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Well hello there Jules !  Awesome story of your journey so far.  I still get the pity, and Austins 9.5, so much of that is projection of peoples own stuff rather than anything to do with you personally.

Take care original.gif

#6 ashleylovesben

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Your daughter is so precious!
You might like the blog my Kelle Hampton Enjoying the Small Things whose daughter Nella has DS.
This is her birth story (I cried reading it-so beautiful!)
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-...irth-story.html

#7 LittleListen

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thank you for the article - it was beautifully written, and so important to hear.

#8 ~Edie~

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

Luff this ( and you Tounge1.gif )

#9 Guest_Lois Griffin_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

I find it odd that people pity someone for having a happy healthy child. That was a lovely story but sadly it shows how ignorant many still are in the community.

Good on you for having such a great outlook.  

EFS

Edited by Lois Griffin, 10 May 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#10 bananagirlsmum

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

Love the story Julie and your little girl is just gorgeous. Seeing her reminds me of my cousin who has DS as well and she is the sweetest child who has had a few hurdles along the way to overcome from a very early age.

#11 Jekaho

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for sharing  - great story. You have a beautiful daughter!

I too was going to suggest reading Kelle Hampton's blog - it's fantastic.

#12 EssentialBludger

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Beautiful. hheart.gif

#13 Therese

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us Jules original.gif

#14 Jupiter123

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

Jules your daughter is beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Edited by jupiter123, 10 May 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#15 soulsearching

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

What a beautifully written story and a gorgeous little girl you have.

When it feels like everyone is pitying you, there are actually people (myself included) who envy you. What I would give for my son to have Down Syndrome rather than Menkes Disease which is rare, degenerative and terminal.

As you said, she's not sick. She's just different. Down Syndrome is not a death sentence, it's a different way of living a wonderful and fullfilling life.

Hold tight your special little girl. They truly are special gifts and make you better people for knowing and loving them.

#16 k-ko

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thankyou for the article. Im sorry you had to deal with that comment on your day out with your family.

Your daughter is precious, and your right, she is healthy and happy and your very lucky to have her here with you original.gif

Every child is a beautiful gift.
Thanks again
K

#17 shortone

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Beautiful!  
Congratulations on your wonderful family!

#18 baddmammajamma

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

Beautiful article, beautiful daughter, Jules! Thank you for putting into words what many parents of children with special needs feel: we don't want pity, just acceptance of differences!

#19 mandal

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for a wonderful article.  I could have written that myself, well, the sentiments anyway - it probably wouldn't have come out so clearly and articulately!  We found out our daughter, who's 4 now, has DS about 1.5 days after she was born and the feelings we had were overwhelming.  There was such a huge sense of loss of the daughter we had imagined, but like you, we soon found so many things to be thankful for.  After a week she was well enough to go home and hasn't been in hospital since that time in the HDU.

Now we're so happy she eventually grew teeth, is finally walking, starting to talk and generally enjoying life.  I hope you continue to help people see only the positives and not dwell on the negatives!

#20 ArieleMoonfire

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

Beautiful Jules, and so very well said. I am very privileged to know you and your beautiful girls <3

#21 BaldBalls

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Thank You for sharing your story it was wonderful  original.gif

#22 icekool

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

A beautiful story..

#23 Guest_Bubbalicious9_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

Edited by Bubbalicious9, 28 October 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#24 jules363

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif  I have been familiar with Kelle's blog for a while, and never miss a post.  Her birth story certainly made me bawl my eyes out, as it is eerily similar to my own.

#25 Guest_FuzzyMum_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

What a beautiful little girl. Thank you for sharing your story with us Jules. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day with your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.