not sure whether i want to vaccinate anymore?
What are the other options??

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 leesie

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

DD3 is 4.5 and i have delayed getting her 4 yr old needles, because i have a bad feeling about them.
It's something I can't really explain, just a gut feeling, I guess.
I have been reading a lot on the MMR in particular, and have a friend who believes her son was injured by his 12 month MMR's. It makes sense to me NOT to vaccinate her, but I guess there is also a fear there. What happens if she gets, measles, mumps, whooping cough etc and it was my fault because i didn't vax her????
She is due to start school next year, and i will soon have to enrol her, which is why the issue is pressing.
If i decide against the vax, can i do them homeopathically?? WHat do i tell the school?
My other 2 DD's are fully vax'd, so i've never had to worry about any of this before.

TIA
LISA

Edited by leesie, 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#2 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

homeopathic vaccinations are worthless.

there's a big difference between believing and proving that her kid was injured by the vaccination, and why on earth would you make a decision on what happened to someone else's child?

#3 beastie

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

My third child is not fully vaccinated, I just filled out  an consciousiness objection form from the doctor and sent it through to CC and medicare.

#4 erindiv

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Please don't make such a decision based on what 'may' have happened to your friend's child, and bear in mind that by not vaccinating your healthy child you are putting immunosupressed children at risk.

#5 3_for_me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Presumable she's had all her other vaccs as have your other girls so why would you think she'll have a bad reaction to this one?  If one of your other children had a bad reaction then it might make sense to be apprehensive due to a possible familial sensitivity however it seems thre is nothing to suggest there is likely to be any issue other than you had a friend who's child may have had a bad reaction.

#6 Chelli

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hi there,
I just wanted to make you aware of the non-vaccination discussion group where you can talk about your thoughts without the need to justify yourself.

Kind regards
Chelli

#7 Gangnam Style

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (beastie @ 16/05/2011, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My third child is not fully vaccinated, I just filled out  an consciousiness objection form from the doctor and sent it through to CC and medicare.

consciousiness objection? laugh.gif Sure it wasn't a consciousiness removal surgery?

#8 Johnno01

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Did you realize that study linking the MMR vaccine and autism that started the whole anti-vax thing has now been thoroughly debunked?

And also, it was recently discovered that the results of the study were actually fabricated and the dr has since had his license to practice medicine revoked?

there is absolutely no evidence or correlation between vaccination and autism.  Also, a recent study concluded autism rates in the UK are NOT increasing.  Autism is simply better diagnosed these days.

Yes, it is possible for a bad reaction to a vaccination to occour.  Allergic reactions etc are not unheard of.

But the chances of this happening are lower than the chances of getting the disease in the first place.

#9 Ridcully

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

By all means don't vaccinate, but be prepared to nurse your little girl through a horrid illness that could have been prevented. Then explain to your girl that she is sick because mummy chose not to get her vaccinated.

Your choice but your girl has to live with the consequences.

#10 seepi

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

People with newborns in some areas of nsw are now being advised to keep them at home only for the first 6 months, due to the massive outbreak of whooping cough, which can kill kids.

I would not leave my child unvaccinated against whooping cough right now, and I think it is a bit crazy to even be thinking about it, seeing as your other kids got their 4 yr needles with no problems.

I have never heard of a child having trouble with a 4 year vaccination.

Even those who are very cautious and delay vaccinations for babies, don't seem to worry about the 4 year old vaccinations.

Homeopathic vaccinations don't work - it they did lots of people would do them.

#11 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm sure this thread will end badly, but before it gets there...

Why do you have two fully vacc'ed kids who are fine and you think it will be a problem this time - this isn't a criticsm, it's a genuine question - is there something different about DD3, did she have a bad reaction to earlier vacc's, what?

I am a big fan of vaccination and as such have not done ANY research into the alternatives, but...

If I were seriously considering not vaccinating my child I would be looking for scientific research in to WHY that might be a good idea, particularly in specific circumstances (so if you think this DD is different to the others for medical reasons). I'd also be having a good chat to at least two doctors about it (preferably that I knew and trusted) and see if they can shed any light on recent or overseas unpublished/uncredited research.

#12 Future-self

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (leesie @ 16/05/2011, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It makes sense to me NOT to vaccinate her,

Seriously, it only "makes sense" to you because you have never witnessed the absolute devastation to a society from these diseases. Thanks to immunisation, we don't commonly lose our children to these diseases anymore but trust me, when we did, on a daily basis, - it "made sense" to protect them from grievous harm. Now, thanks to widespread vaccination eradicating the incidence and severity of measles, whooping cough etc, we are all lulled into this feeling of security that our children "can't" get these disease because we haven't seen it so it's not worth the 'risks' of the vaccination. Check out countries where WHO are just starting to get vaccination programs in place and see what "makes sense" to those parents.

#13 Lovelybubba

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Do some research to make your own decision rather than basing your decision on other people's opinions or concerns.

Find out the vaccine is made of -source out the ingredients lists. Look up the facts of what the different diseases do to children and find out the statistics of what percentage is affected. For example, how many people who contract measles end up being hospitalised, what percentage of these patients have worse complications. (I say this because we can tend to focus on the 'worst case scenario' a lot of the time without noting that there are only a certain percentage that get this bad - what is the exact number??)

Go and search out the concerns of people that are not vaccinating or believe that their children have been vaccine injured - to have the full knowledge on the circumstances and why they believe what they do.

Also source information such as the pamphlets etc on why the medical field believes that vaccines are important, and further research the information provided to ensure that you understand it completely.

Basically, find out as much information as possible and then make a decision based on the information that you have gathered and not what other people feel you should do. You can then decide to vaccinate, or not vaccinate without wondering if you have done the wrong thing.

Knowledge is power, however there is no point researching in one area only - you have to look at it from as many angles as possible and also source out the base information.

I have done this as my brother passed away just hours after receiving his vaccinations - obviously a major reaction and this is not meant to scare anyone - people have major, fatal reactions to different substances (eg peanuts) every day - however it has led me to research a lot of information and I am know able to make a decision that I am completely comfortable with.

Whatever decision you end up making, it needs to be something that you are truly comfortable with and I think that this will help original.gif
If you need any helo sourcing info, just PM me and I'll share.

#14 purplekitty

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (leesie @ 16/05/2011, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It makes sense to me NOT to vaccinate her, but I guess there is also a fear there.
You are making a decision based on emotion and fear, not sense.
If i decide against the vax, can i do them homeopathically??

Worse than useless.

#15 goldimouse

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

If my child had been given all their vaccinations so far without incident like yours has, and there was no family history of reactions or allergies to vaccines, I would think this was a no-brainer. I'd vaccinate on schedule, for sure.

Something "may" have happened to your friend's child... but you don't know. Your friend doesn't even know - and the kids aren't related anyway. You have no logical reason to suspect that whatever it was that "happened" to your friend's child will happen to yours original.gif

#16 noname2

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

By all means research the effects of vaccinations, as PPs have suggested, particularly the self-interested scam that lead to the MMR/autism scare.  I would also suggest that you make an appointment to see your GP and discuss the risks of vaccinating vs the risks of the illnesses the vaccine will prevent.  I think this is particularly important in relation to the Rubella component and the risk to your daughter's children if she gets pregnant when she grows up.

Good luck with your decision, I do understand that not all fears are rational but that doesn't make them invalid.  You should do some rational research before making your decision though.

#17 The Old Feral

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

I could be way off base here, but is your gut feeling/fear based on some concerns you have about her development.  Is there something bothering you, niggling away but not serious enough for you to have acted on yet, and you're worried a vaccine could make things worse?

If that's the case, please face your concerns and talk to your GP.  The vaccination's immaterial, the supposed link between MMR and autism has been PROVEN to be a crock, but if there's another cause for concern, delaying the vaccine isn't going to make it disappear.

#18 jumparound

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

My DD who is fully vacinated to date, is still getting over Whooping cough- would hate to see what it may have been like if she hadn't been vacinated! 6 weeks on she still has a horrible bark but at least she isn't throwing up every time she coughs now!

Vacination doesn't always = immunity to a disease though it can lessen it in many or many may not become immune at all on any level!

DD got chicken pox a as a 1.9 yo, the day my DS1 was born to be exact as chicken pox vacs were elective and costly back then- not the norm, so didn't really think of it. DS as a result was vacinated as soon as he could be as after DD got it her father, not immunised, got it and he was very near going to hospital he was so sick for 6 days he couldn't move off the couch!

Benefits outweigh the negatives to me!

Go to any 3rd world country, and see kids die every day from preventable diseases- as easy as a 5 sec needle in the arm, leg or butt!

#19 Neko NoNo

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

I agree with a lot of PPs who say if your child hasn't had a problem so far, you don't have a good reason to worry, but I realise that doesn't stop us worrying!

here is the British Medical Journal calling MMR/autism link a fraud- only an extract unfortunately
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452

here is an article on the British Medical Journal calling the MMR/Autism link a fraud
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/a...accines/?hpt=T1

here is Aus govt issued info on immunisation.
http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/

there is so much information out there. Please make sure you are getting your information from reputable organisations. Good luck with your decision.

#20 sara.s

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

If you don't want to immunise your daughter, at least do no harm to her. Homeopathic "vaccinations" are a menace. They aren't regulated so you can't be sure what is in them. Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be any positive peer reviewed research indicating that these vaccinations might, erm, vaccinate against anything.

#21 Luvbngamum

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I am a Registered nurse and have looked after newborn babies who have caught whooping cough before they were old enough to be vaccinated themselves.  They catch the disease from other children or adults who do not get vaccinated and catch it despite the intention that their own parents have in getting their baby vaccinated as soonas they are old enough.

Nursing a baby who has, and ultimately dies of whooping cough is ultimately the hardest thing I have ever done.  It is hard because it causes the tiny baby great pain and suffering, there is nothing that can be done to stop death, and it is something that can be prevented.  Nursing a dying baby is horrific anytime but is made all the more so when that baby is dying because of someone elses choices and if a different choice had been made the disease and death could have been prevented.  The parents are always understandably devastated and very angry because more often than not the disease has come from a friend or acquaintance that has failed to immunize and has then also put others at risk by visiting when not immunised.

Ultimately it is still the parents choice whether to vaccinate or not but I think if more parents were made to go and see how traumatic whooping cough is on babies then they may chose to vaccinate.  it is easy to bury your head in the sand when you do not see the reality and consequences not vaccinating has on the most vulnerable.

#22 Chelli

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Whilst I understand this is a highly contraversial topic, I will be removing any personal attacks or any responses that are off topic. Please keep responses relevant to the disussion.

Thankyou

#23 BetteBoop

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (seepi @ 16/05/2011, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People with newborns in some areas of nsw are now being advised to keep them at home only for the first 6 months, due to the massive outbreak of whooping cough, which can kill kids.

I would not leave my child unvaccinated against whooping cough right now, and I think it is a bit crazy to even be thinking about it, seeing as your other kids got their 4 yr needles with no problems.

There is an education campaign happening in Queensland right now where they are encouraging mums to be and their immediate family members to be vaccinated.

It is really frightening to think that Whooping Cough is back when there is a vaccine available for it.

#24 noonehere

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

you vaccs your pets so why not your children?

understandably (SP?) your fearful since your friend blames the needles but wheres the proof?

your child has had no reaction to previous needles so please get your child done.

#25 StopTheGoats

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Edited by OldMajor, 25 May 2011 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.