not sure whether i want to vaccinate anymore?
What are the other options??

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 purplekitty

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Z&K @ 16/05/2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luvbngamum (or anyone else who knows), can I just ask about getting vaccinated for whooping cough for the mum. As far as I know I'm not vaccinated for whooping cough but do not want to have a vaccination during pregnancy. Would I be able to have the vaccination say a week or so after the birth? And if so, would I be immediately be covered or is there some kind of time delay before it starts working?

Thanks so much (and sorry to sidetrack the thread).

Edited for typo

"In addition, a single booster dose of adult formulation pertussis vaccine (dTpa) is recommended for all adults planning a pregnancy, for both parents as soon as possible after delivery of an infant, and for grandparents and other carers of young children. Visit your local doctor or immunisation provider for further information ."

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet...unise-pertussis

#27 seepi

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/doct...9-1226055946293

here is the article about the outbreaks of whooping cough at the moment.

- on parents getting vaccinated - I understand they offer this to new mums in hospital now after baby is born - and dads can go in and get it at the gp once mum gets to 38 weeks (or any time if they want to pay 33.00)

#28 Blondiebear

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (erindiv @ 16/05/2011, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please don't make such a decision based on what 'may' have happened to your friend's child, and bear in mind that by not vaccinating your healthy child you are putting immunosupressed children at risk.

yyes.gif

As others have said already, please base your decision on scientific research and expert opinion, not "gut feeling" and hearsay about what "may" have happened to a friend.

#29 Asterisk

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Not only is there a whooping cough outbreak, but there's a measles outbreak in NSW too. We got a letter home from preschool about it a few weeks ago. Now is not the time to randomly stop vaccinating.

Edited by Spaced, 16 May 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#30 Sassenach2

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

What are the options if you don't vaccinate? You don't have any options! Your child could be very sick with whooping cough or even die, millions of kids died from whooping cough and diphtheria a century ago, you have only to go and look in the cemeteries and see the tiny graves. Or, if you don't vaccinate, your child or you could give whooping cough to a newborn baby, who hasn't any immunity and they die and there is nothing anyone can do, and people like you, who choose this path are making the babies sick all over N.S.W. and Victoria - there is a high incidence of whooping cough and it will get worse in the coming Winter. Why don't you speak to your doctor about your concerns. Your other children are alright, so why wouldn't your third child be alright also. To the PP who wanted to know about parents, grandparents and anyone with close proximity to young babies and young children - get vaccinated, because even if you had whooping cough when you were a child, immunity doesn't last a lifetime and you need to be re-vaccinated. The scientists who laboured over these vaccines have saved many deaths from whooping cough, diphtheria, polio and tetanus. In fact some doctors had never seen a case of diphtheria until recently. Oh, and measles is a killer also.

Edited by mollysheepdog, 16 May 2011 - 02:24 PM.

#31 erindiv

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

For example, how many people who contract measles end up being hospitalised, what percentage of these patients have worse complications. (I say this because we can tend to focus on the 'worst case scenario' a lot of the time without noting that there are only a certain percentage that get this bad - what is the exact number??)

It's higher than the percentage of serious reactions to vaccinations. Anti vaxers look at the worst case scenario too. How ironic.

This attitude against vaccinations is killing children unnecessarily.

...and the terrible thing is that it's usually babies that *would* have been vaccinated but can't have been done yet because they're too young - parents trying to do the right thing, and losing their child because of another person's selfishness.
There really seems to be an attitude among non vaxers of "I don't give two hoots about other people's children."

people like you, who choose this path are making the babies sick all over N.S.W. and Victoria - there is a high incidence of whooping cough and it will get worse in the coming Winter

Unfortunately every time something like this is said, non vaxers just stick their fingers in their ears and say "Lalala. I can't hear you."

I would love to hear anti vaxers give a reason that these diseases have returned since the anti vax craze has started. Gee, isn't a coincidence that when people stopped vaxxing, the diseases returned? Wow, what a surprise.

OP, I hope you make the right decision and make it for the good of all children, not just your own.

#32 leesie

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

OMG....I expected negative comments, but wow, some of your replies have amazed me.

I probably should not have mentioned my friend's experience. This is NOT what this feeling is based on. My nephew also has autism, and I am not necessarily blaming his needles for that (although, who knows??)

THE OLD BAG you are not off base at all when you ask if I have any concerns. I have always wondered if she has some mild ASD symptoms, even though she is a bright, happy, affectionate little girl she can be very obsessive, she rocks when she is sitting doing a puzzle etc (we have been working very hard on this) and a few other small things. She also fits every time she has a fever, and i don't really want to set one off (she had a major one after her 12 month mmr). I am just hoping that getting another set of MMR's won't make these symptoms worse??

I used to be fully pro vax but have done a lot of research on natural therapies etc and have slowly changed my mind.

Thanks for all your opinions. I do appreciate that some of you are very passionate about this issue, but basically making out that I will be a bad mother if i decide against vaccinating, or blaming me for all the sick little babies in the country who have contracted some of these diseases, does not help.

Edited by leesie, 16 May 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#33 bronzzeAngel

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

My eldest brother had his whooping cough vaccination..
My other two brothers didnt. They BOTH got very ill, with my middle brother nearly dying.
Eldest brother healthy as a horse, though I am sure he had trouble sleeping in that same room.
60 years since, middle brother still has major issue all linked to his whooping cough, the youngest brother had heart issues and ended up have heaart surgery..
Eldest brother healthy as a horse living a good life.

Vaccinate and have a risk of some "possible"  and NOT PROVEN and in fact debunked issues which are at a  lower rate anyway than the risk from the disease eg death. heart or major respiratory illness and further issues which also include brain damage fromt eh disease.

I have a child with ADHD,,, he is fully vaccinated and he showed signs of his hyperactivity BEFORE he was vaccinated.

#34 nicola0709

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (leesie @ 16/05/2011, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I probably should not have mentioned my friend's experience. This is NOT what this feeling is based on. My nephew also has autism, and I am not necessarily blaming his needles for that (although, who knows??)

as per pp, this popular anti-vax theory has been proven to be incorrect.

#35 purplekitty

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

I used to be fully pro vax but have done a lot of research on natural therapies etc and have slowly changed my mind.

Where have you done this research? It would be really sad if you made the wrong decision based on incorrect information and lies that are the basis of  antivax sites.
Evaluating Health Information on the Internet.

My nephew also has autism, and I am not necessarily blaming his needles for that (although, who knows??)
PP have given you links in this thread to show you this has been disproven.

Search for previous Vaccination threads and read them.

#36 CallMeFeral

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

THE OLD BAG you are not off base at all when you ask if I have any concerns. I have always wondered if she has some mild ASD symptoms, even though she is a bright, happy, affectionate little girl she can be very obsessive, she rocks when she is sitting doing a puzzle etc (we have been working very hard on this) and a few other small things. She also fits every time she has a fever, and i don't really want to set one off (she had a major one after her 12 month mmr). I am just hoping that getting another set of MMR's won't make these symptoms worse??

I can see why you're concerned.

Is there any option these days of splitting up the MMR into separate vaxes, so that it's not such a shock to the system?

#37 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Is there any option these days of splitting up the MMR into separate vaxes, so that it's not such a shock to the system?

Generally no. I asked about this years ago for DS1 (who did end up having a strong reaction to the MMR). I then chose to delay DS2 until 20m and DD until 17m (local measles outbreak meant I was not waiting any longer).

#38 Jobrielle

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

OP I guess it depends on what you personally can live with in relation to the risk of your DD getting a preventable disease versus the minute risk of vaccine reactions. Don't kid yourself that homeopathic vaccines do anything except basically give you a drink of water.

#39 purplekitty

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

She also fits every time she has a fever, and i don't really want to set one off (she had a major one after her 12 month mmr). I am just hoping that getting another set of MMR's won't make these symptoms worse??

You need to discuss your concerns with your doctor about how to proceed. Some children are vaccinated in hospital if a serious reaction is a worry.
Your daughter would also be at risk from the fever if she contracted an infectious disease we vaccinate against.

Of course, if she is unable to be vaccinated the greatest protection she will have is everybody else in the community continuing to vaccinate.

#40 Chelli

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

This is not the WDYT forum, so please keep responses based on the questions the OP have asked. I have again removed posts that did not adhere to my original request.

Thankyou

#41 The Old Feral

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have always wondered if she has some mild ASD symptoms, even though she is a bright, happy, affectionate little girl she can be very obsessive, she rocks when she is sitting doing a puzzle etc (we have been working very hard on this) and a few other small things.

I know it must be terrifying but I really think you should put the vaccination question to one side for a minute and get that behaviour checked out first.   It's obviously bothering you and vaccinating or not vaccinating is not going to make it go away.  

I posted awhile ago with some concerns about DS1's behaviour (ADHD related) and the information and support from the ladies here was fantastic, it can't hurt to ask a few questions and see your Dr.

Best of luck

#42 leesie

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Ladies. I have had her checked out, and the Dr says it is all relatively normal. I am still in 2 minds, might just put it off a bit longer, while i do some more research original.gif

#43 Soontobegran

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Just remember the  possible risk of reaction to vaccination is profoundly less than the risk of not having them done.

#44 Me n Marshmallow

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

If she hasn't had a problem with any of the other vaccines I can't see why she would have a problem now. Homeopathic treatments have no reliable evidence for their effectivness, they're so diluted you'd be better off with water. If homeopathic vaccines were safe and effective, they'd be part of the vaccine schedule.

However, you can fill out a form if you choose not to vaccinate for when she starts school.

If you choose to research on the internet, be wary of the infomation out there. Most are unreliable and full of scare tactics. Websites that can be trusted end with .gov and .edu. Sites ending in .com can be made by anyone, so look at who wrote the information, what their qualifications are, and if they're trying to sell you something.

Edited by 3.3x10^1, 16 May 2011 - 11:17 PM.

#45 Wolffmumma

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

I can only speak from personal experience having not been vaccinated for MMR when I was a child. I was seriously ill as a child from a dose of the mumps. I may not have died (obviously) but can tell you it is something I'd hope never to put anyone through. I would also ask that you consider children with suppressed immune systems who cannot be vaccinated, if not enough people are vaccinated in a community (90 %) we don't have the herd immunity required to protect these children from disease, exactly why whooping cough is killing children again.
By all means you should research and feel comfortable with your decision, but ensure you research using credible sources not people who were paid to compile faulty studies or have a vested interest.
Your child won't thank you for not immunizing them if they get sick, I certainly dont thank my mum for not doing so and causing me to have measles, mumps and rubella especially seeing how ill mumps made me.

#46 FluffyChickenhead

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hey OP,

firstly the speculative link between vaccs and autism has been disproved.

Also, if you have concerns about your dd showing ASD traits this thread has some amazing information in it. It was done by badmummjamma for autism week (month maybe LOL)

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...=883096&hl=

BMJ is an amazing advocate for children and families with ASD.

Me personally I wouldnt go off the gut feeling, its easy to get suckered in but anti-vac sites and thinking. Id see a pead for some advice, and keep in mind your dd hasnt had reactions to the other injections.

Edited by FluffyChickenhead, 17 May 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#47 HappyNappies

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Having not read all the replies, sorry if it has already been mentioned BUT you can have a blood test taken that will determine if your child is already immune to certain diseases - for some reason this is not widely known, we all just automatically assume our children need to be immunised and therefore immunise them.  At least this way you will actually know what level of risk you are dealing with, if any original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.