122 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=891406

#2 bec8112

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Gold :-)

Sharna - can you PM me your address and phone number, thanks.

#3 ~Annika~

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Silver!!

Warning - long post ahead  wink.gif

Amanda I think I have a slight idea of what you are going through as I had it VERY similar being sick right throughout both pregnancies. My sickness was the horrible HG (Hyperemisis Gravidarum). I'm not saying it was worse or more horrible than how you suffered as I don't know exactly what you went through, it may well have been heaps worse. I too was in and out of hospital, and I was also losing heaps of weight, then out of complete necessity I had to go on a very expencive medication just to stay alive and not completely waste away!! My DH was such a wonderful support to me during those tough times; doing all the housework and cooking (though I wasn't eating much of it) and emptying my sick bowls for me sick.gif he hadn't ever seen so much vomit in his whole life (neither had I for that matter)! But he was there for me totally and he saw me at my lowest point in my life where I couldn't even walk from one end of the house to the other or have a shower and get dried and dressed by myself without his total assistance, and it really scared him! When it happened the second time he was convinced that I should not have to go through that again. I had bad PND after both babies too and had to go onto meds for it when Bryce was 8 months old as I just wasn't coping well. Even after all this DH too mentioned having another one when Bryce was a 1 year old, and to be honest and to my surprise the thought of having another baby bbabyflip.gif  to love and hold appealed to me as well, just not the process to get there, I was on the pill at the time anyway. The reality was that I was so scared of going through another horrible pregnancy, and I knew I wouldn't cope with it, especially with the lack of support network around me. So, after some months we discussed a couple of times him having the snip and each time he point blank refused! His reason was that he wasn't ready to make such a final step, and if he was to lose me for some reason and get remarried he would want to be able to have more babies. I would not want to have more babies if I was to lose DH and get remarried. So after much deliberation I made the decision with DH's consent to go and have my tubes clamped. The pill was playing havock with my body and hormone levels and I didn't want to be on them for the rest of my life. DH totally respected my decision, but I too feel that he ultimately would want to have more children - he would cope really well with it, whereas I would definitely not! I am sad for him though and feel like I am holding him back from his desires and hopes in life. Now, if he has said these things to me after I had my tubes clamped I would feel quite cheated and a similar way to you, I know it! Though when we were dating we always agreed that 2 children was the ideal number (we both have only one other sibling each), so I kind of feel that he went back on his word by the time we got married and actually started a family. We have two boys, and I know DH is stoked about that, but I can't help but feel that he would have loved a girl, he would be such an awsome daddy to his little princess! I would LOVE and little girl too, but the chances were very slim with that ever happening as his family is FULL of boys through all the generations. I didn't want a house full of boys and didn't want to take that chance to have a girl!! I don't know if this helps you in any way, but at least now you know that you're not totally alone in what you are feeling.  bbighug.gif I can really sympathise and epmathise with you Amanda, and please don't be too hard on yourself about what has happened. You were not to blame for what you went through in your pregancies, and no one should expect you to have to go through it ever again! But even if you had wonderful pregnancies you still have every right to feel what you are in regards to your DH not telling you exactly what he was wishing for until well after the fact. I agree with, Bec, try to have a long talk to your DH about it all and get your feelings out in the air, tell him that you are disappointed about him not letting you know how he really felt until after he had the snip, and that the guilt is eating you up indise. But don't beat yourself up about it, you didn't know!!

Edited by ~Annika~, 20 May 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Bec, Nat - have pm'ed you.

Sunday at mine is what I thought was decided on also. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Mel - definately catch up next time.

Amanda - i wish I had more time to comment. I will try to take time to write a considered answer tomorrow.

Work was crazy busy and I am exhausted. I am off to bed soon.

Take care everyone.

Sharna

#5 bec8112

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hi everyone  waves.gif

Catch up - Hannah has been up a few times overnight with a runny nose and a cough so I might see how she is in the morning and if she is not any better I will not come as I do not want to spread any germs to the kids especially Lachie.

#6 meeskamouska

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Just thought I'd better post on here even though I've talked to Sharna.
Charlee has a vomiting/gastric bug and has spewed about 20times thru the night.
We won't b able to make it.
I'm so sorry Mands.
I just don't want to make Lauchlan sick either. Charlee is not in a good way.
So sorry girls.

#7 Small Potatoes

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Have sms you back Sharna. Why don't we do it in a couple of weeks?

#8 ~mumto2girls~

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi girls..

Firstly sorry to hear the meet isnt going ahead and so many little ones arnt well..

Ok I just want to thank you girls for your replies to my last post. I have been thinking about it and yes I have been over thinking it. If dh was so keen on no 3 I think he wouldnt of gone for the op. Dh loves his family weather we have the 2 or 12 and i guess if we were to have another baby the chances are it would probably be a girl lol and he would still feel the same about wanting a boy. He is just so happy that we were able to have kids and realises what I have gone through and that im still suffering from the PND. I guess its like anything we would like and that it always isnt possilbe that we cant have and it pops up every now and then but we weigh up the pros and cons and figure what we have is for the best. Im still a little hurt that he never told me to begin with that he wanted 3 but things change and we have to re-evaluate what we have and be thankful for it. He has said financially and emotionly we wouldnt be able to have more then 2 anyway. I feel alot better now Thanks again girls..

Ok off to tidy up.. My business partner is coming down to do a party with me. Catch u all later xx

#9 bec8112

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Noticed some things on hannah's tongue this morning and took her to the gp and turns out she has Hand,Foot and Mouth so glad tomorrow has been called off :-)

#10 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Bec - poor Miss Hannah. When Nadia and I had it it was terrible. Nadia bounced back after a few day but I did have to give her Painstop at night to help her sleep. She was off her food for a bit also.

Nat - how is CR?

AFU - we went into town for the Greek Festival 'Paniyiri' It was fun. Ate a bit, drank a bit, listened to some music. It was drizzling most of the time but not enough to spoil the fun.

Snooze time for me soon.

Sharna

#11 bec8112

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Sharna - 10.30pm and already 1 wake up and huge cry from Hannah, she seems like she is in a fair bit if pain?? Only given her panadol and nurofen. What is pain stop?  I have always wanted to go to the Greek Festival, maybe next year.

We bought a new washing machine today, bought a Bosch front loader. Cannot wait to get it on Monday.

Not much else to report.

#12 meeskamouska

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hows your night Bec?? Poor little poppet. Charlee had that last year as well. Same as Sharna I used painstop at night. Its available over the counter but it'll say for 2yrs & older even though not long ago it was still available for under 2's. Up to u whether you use it or not. My Dr says its fine. Appartantly it has something to do with the heavy sleep it induces.
Charlee is still asleep. She slept most of th day yesterday. She must feel rotten. the vomiting has stopped but the bottom has started.
Your night sounded fun Sharna. I love to get out and do interesting things like that. Wish Paul did.

BTW, my cards came thru the mail on friday and they look sh*t. Was a bit dissapointed. The printing just didin't look right. Think I might just go back to the original sort of look and just jazz it up a bit.

Take it easy girls. Chat later.

#13 Small Potatoes

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hey Nat email me through the psd file at amanda@ilivcards.com and I can have a play around too.  Hope CR gets better quickly.  Poor little darling.

Bec hope Hannah gets better soon also.

Sharna - I wanted to go to Paniyiri, but haven't for a few years.  My family used to always go with Dad being Greek and all.

AFM going to Brissy today to get Olly and visit Dad for a bit.  Better run

#14 themelster

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

oh dear, sick kiddies - not good  sad.gif

Amanda, I've been thinking about your situation and I am glad you have come to a resolution because I just didn't have any advice.  I've never been in that situation (yet) as both Mark and I both agreed we only wanted one.  Could be to do with the horrid PND I had and the fact that I was a crazy lady for a fair while LOL!  I don't think Mark would EVER want to live through that!  I'm glad you have found some peace with it though.

Sharna - I thought about going to Paniyiri, I've always wanted to go but it was just Tom and I (Mark was working) so we went to the Brookfield Show which was SOOO much fun.  I'll definately go again next year!  I meant to reply to your last question about clinical placements - I start next semester (very excited!!!).  I will apply for RBH but there is no guarantee of getting it so I could end up at Greenslopes!  That would be awesome.  How are you going in your preperations for Romania?????  When do you leave again?  Christmas?

Bec - Poor Hannah, I hope she gets some relief soon.  Maybe ask the chemist what they recommend.  I have painstop in the cupboard for Tom too.  I don't think I used it until he was about 20 months though.

Nat - I hope CR doest past the ergies onto you too.  Gastro is awful.  
I meant to say, I like your original packaging better too (sorry  sad.gif ).  My first thought when I saw the black & red one's was "men's range".  I really like your original packaging - it has a softness to it.  

Did the UQ Rotary 10km fun run this morning.  My goal was to get timed (they cut it off at 70 mins), I did it in 64 mins so I was really stoked with my effort.  Next goal, Jetty to Jetty 10km in 8 weeks - hopefully sub 60mins.  Early night tonight - I'm shagged!

#15 meeskamouska

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the input with the labels girls (& for the offer of help Mands). I really am struggling with how I want to present the soap. There isn't a single person that liked the black and red except me.... unsure.gif Its really holding me back. I want the label to look professional not homemade IYKWIM. With some sort of look/logo/brand or something...blah.... I'm sticking with the name soapchunks though. I'll have another go. I've only mocked up about 100 different looks...lmao. Softer look it is though.

Oh bugger, wanted to do the mega post and Bella just came home with Paul. Better get crackin on tea.

Hi Bec...I saw u there.

#16 themelster

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

I know what you mean Nat.  Have you seen the packaging by the brand BOD.  I quite like that.  Although it isn't soft.  It's actually quite stark, but it works (for me anyway).  I wonder if it is easier to brand that way with a shorter or single word brand name?  Think Bod, Sukin, Aveda etc...  Even your mainstream successful beauty products - Nars, napolean, clarins, jurlique, clinique, I actually can't think of one that is more than a single word.  I'm sure there are loads, I've just got a mind block and the only one's I can think of are peoples names ie: Helena Rubenstein, Elizabeth Arden etc.

#17 meeskamouska

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

You're in my head Mel...yes!!
I know what I want to do but I just can't make it look right. I know I want to fresh cut from the block of soap, wrap fresh, like Lush does (another single word LOL). Similair type of thing but my style. More natural soaps (whereas theirs these days are pretty much SLSA & nothing else). I just can't put my finger on how to make it work. I still want to sell at markets etc so want to be able to get a trendy farmers market look or something. I do love the shabby soft pretty pink look but its not really a branded look IYKWIM. I need a logo to slap on that packaging. Was thinking on using the same card on every soap but with a sticker to say what type of soap it is that would hold the paper stuck down.
Thinking out loud here.... sorry to bore everyone....

#18 meeskamouska

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

BOD - this is where I was heading with the dark packaging..... unsure.gif  unsure.gif

#19 themelster

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, I do see where you are going Nat.  But I think the reason it works really well with the BOD packaging is because of the dark amber background of their bottles.  I think the black might be a bit too much of a contrast to your white packaging - what about a slate or grey to take the edge off the hardness a bit?  Not sure on the red too, maybe stick with more mono-chromatic colours if that's the effect you are trying to achieve?  I don't know.  I really don't have a clue about these sorts of things.  I know when I look at something if I like it or not, but I'm not really good at explaining why  blush.gif .  Or suggesting alternatives.

#20 themelster

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

I've just looked on the BOD website and they don't actually have an product images up there so you probably didn't see what I mean.  Here is a link to an online store that has a variation of their products.  You can see that they use their dark label on their amber bottles and their stainless steel bottles, but when they use their single layer (without the dark background) logo on any light neutral or pastel bottles.  

http://www.onefloor.com.au/brands/Bod.html...CFYgdpAodEA__TA

#21 meeskamouska

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

I think Im going to have another go at the brown writing on white background again. I understand what your saying with the dark bottles/dark label, light bottles/light label. I think its got alot to do with the fonts too. The whimsy writing I've been using is all....well too whimsy & homemade looking. I do like the type writer look writing and its pretty trendy ATM..... it all gives me a headf*ck excuse the expression.
Might even just buy a pre made logo from etsy.

Thanks for being a sounding board Mel.

#22 bec8112

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi everyone.

Hannah is ok, super whingy and not sleeping all that well but seems to be ok. Ethan does not seem to have got anything so I am happy about that :-)

nat - I like the lighter colour packaging and think the 'plainer' style writing is best IMO. The idea of a sticker which details the soap type sounds good. I am not that good with the creative style of things so sorry if I am not much help. How is CR doing?

#23 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Nat- i think you are probably overthinking it now and are tying yourself up in knots. I think your packaging presented beautifully and professionally. It is in a boutique style which is very saleable and current as far as trends go. Think L'Occitane, Miessence, Jurlique, A'kin.

A soft theme hasn't seemed to hold back alot of companies from doing well. Lol, was just picturing Mary Kay... too much pink? haha.

How about using chocolate satin/antique white, or brown/teal.

I love stripes and damask together also. Just a few of my ideas. Not sure they will help you at all, probably just add to the confusion.

http://www.myweddingfavors.com/images/prod...rwnDamask_L.jpg

http://www.damaskbusinesscards.com/damask/...095tdcc_300.jpg

Gotta run, littlest one unsettled and not going down well tonight.

Sharna

Edited by Alis Volat Propiis, 22 May 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#24 meeskamouska

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

http://www.areyoudesigns.com/eco-friendly-...oy-candles.html
I really love this style of look.
Perhaps in browns and beiges.

I am over thinking it Sharna. I think I've thought it out soooo many times I don't knowi f I'm artha or martha.

#25 meeskamouska

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

????????? yes???? no????

This works really well with the wrapping, elastic bands, brown bags look. Tied twine, beige and brown ribbons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.