October 08 Parents # 76

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#101 bec8112

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Nat - yeah that might be a bit far, will have to wait for another market which is closer to me. I am going to need some more soap soon, we use it so fast!

Catch up- yep all good for me for the 2nd in the morning.

#102 Small Potatoes

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

I am good for the 2nd anytimeafter around 1030 depending on location.  If Danny is home I can come earlier as he can take Will to soccer

#103 bec8112

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Catch up - 10.30am or 11am start would be great for me.  Where are we going to do it?  Sharna are you still wanting to have it at your place????

#104 themelster

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Hi ladies,

I can't make the catch up on Saturday.  I'm working 10am to 2pm.  I thought that might end up being the case.  Don't worry about me though - as I'm usually working most Saturdays at the moment.  

Does anyone have any tips on whinging.  We are going through a really bad patch of whinging and tantrums at the moment.  Yes, he's been sick, but I'm sure he is better now.  But the whining and the tannie's are continuing.  It's really draining.  He is also really contrary.  If we go to get in the small car, he wants to get in the big car.  If go to put his croc's on, he wants his trainers, then when I get his trainers he wants his crocs...  It doesn't matter if I let him choose, he still wants the other when I get it.  It's the same with food, drink cups, you name it.  It's driving me insane.  And everything he seems to say these days starts with "I WANT".  Then tantrums ensue if he doesn't get it.  In that stretched out, whiny voice they get.  blugh.  I've never had to contend witn this, and now it is my life twelve hours a day.  I really don't like him very much at the moment.  Is anyone else going through this?  Any discipline tactics?  I'm thinking of a naughty chair?  I don't know.  I hope he snaps out of this before a 30 hour plane ride.  

Ros - we are in Greece for a week.  Should be nice. Other than that, Mark and I are going to the North York Moors for two nights and leaving Tom with the grand-rents.  Can't wait for that!

Sorry ladies, that's all for me.  I have to get ready for work.  I'm at the baby expo doing baby mum mum's today.

Have a great day everyone.

#105 bec8112

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Mel - Baby MumMum are a favorite of Hannah's  tongue.gif Whinging - Ethan is doing it heaps at the moment too so no advice, we are also having to deal with him yelling " NO NO NO, MINE" to Hannah every time she touches a toy which he thinks is 'his'.

Catch up - can everyone make it on the Sunday?  Mel would be great if we can all catch up together.

Not much else here at the moment, dealing with TT issues still and other battles which I cannot be bothered writing down as they are so silly!

#106 Small Potatoes

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

I can definitely come on Sunday

#107 themelster

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

I can do Sunday AM. I just have a birthday party I need to be at by 2pm.

#108 bec8112

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

Catch Up - if it suits Sharna and Nat why dont we do Sunday at 10am somewhere?????

#109 meeskamouska

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I can do Sunday.

Oh Mel - welcome to terrible twos  sad.gif its a shocker hey!! Charlee does every single thing you described. For us its clothes, the car seat & juice. She throws doooozzzies. I pick her up & put her on her bed kicking & screaming. I think I've mentioned this phrase before... a tantrum needs an audience.... it has always stuck in my mind. I get CR to her bed as quick as possible. I tell her she's welcome to come out anytime she's ready when she's not screaming. When we r out I do whatever diversion tactic I can come up with to keep the peace & save embarressment, which hardly reinforces the home disipline. Dr Phil says to ...pick your battles... but if you pick one with a child/teen make sure you win... so if you do decide to go into battle say over red shoes make sure he's wearing red shoes.
Man, toddlers are hard, blah. My sister jokes around with me & says... you're life sounds friggin beautiful right now I bet you're lovin up on it!! funny not!!

School hols here. Am going to try & go out today. The kids need to do something even if we just go to the local boring park. The plan is to keep them busy this hols to save frustration to all.

#110 Fabulous

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

Mel- Jack has time out in the laundry. We don't have a front loader. He only stays there a few minutes and it works really well (and Jack is the king of tanties). I remember one of my friends rining up a parenting help line once and they suggested the bathroom for time- out because there are no toys.

Nat -yeah most toddlers are hard. I can't believe how much work they can be, I mean it's been over 2.5 years and everything is still so full on with Jack. Althought I must admit there are some days when seriously I wish my older kids were still toddlers.  huh.gif

#111 bec8112

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

Just a quick one for QLD ladies ( and anyone else who might know about it ) - when will our kids start pre-school???? Start of 2013?  I am starting to think about the future and I just cannot work out when Ethan should start.  

#112 Fabulous

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Bec- I know very little about QLD but found some links that might help.

http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/advi...dhood/prep.html

http://deta.qld.gov.au/earlychildhood/serv...very-child.html

#113 meeskamouska

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Bec, I haven't worked it out exactly but I know for certain because our kids r born after the cut off date they have to start the following year. It might not b till 2014. In fact I'm pretty sure it is 2014.
I'll work it out & come back later.

#114 meeskamouska

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

quote - Children must be 5 by 30 June in the year they start Prep.

so not till 2014.

edited to say.... unless I'm still half asleep....lol.

Edited by meeskamouska, 28 June 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#115 bec8112

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

But isnt prep different to pre-school?  Pre-school is the year before prep right?? A few pre schools I have looked at on their websites say they go 5 days a fortnight? I am so confused!

#116 Small Potatoes

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

Bec Pre-School isn't compulsory and aat the moment neither is prep.  The kiddies will be doing pre-school in 2013 for a 2014 prep start or 2015 Grade 1 start.  We have and are keeping the boys at kindy as they have a great preschool program and the C&K kindy just didn't fit our timetable.

#117 meeskamouska

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

oh man I confused it all!! It was clearly too early & not enough coffee for me...laugh.
PRESCHOOL....derrrr to me!!
In our town here we can do preschool ( C&K community based) from age 3 as long as they r TT right up to they start prep. The daycare Charlee goes to does a program too. I don't much like the whole community style ones as there is a heap of fundraising to b done all the time. I'd rather pay for a full day care & not do the fundraising TBH.

#118 meeskamouska

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

Also our C&K hours are 9-2:30. How sucky is that.

#119 bec8112

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Thanks ladies its starting to make sense now! So Hannah would start prep in 2015 as she is born before June 30, is that right?  I think my kids will be a year apart in school due to Hannahs earlier birthday.

I looked at a few C&K websites for preschool around us and it ranges from $1200-$2000 for the year.

#120 themelster

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Bec, you are thinking of pre-prep (the year before prep).  Tom and Ethan will start in 2014 because they were born after 30th June (I think that's the cut off???).   Then they will start school in 2015.  If Hannah was born before June 30, she will start a year earlier - so the year she turns 5, instead of the year she turns 6.

You have two options :

A).  Continue to have Ethan attend the long daycare centre he goes to now until he starts prep, as they will implement a pre-prep curriculum there.  

B).  Send him to a Pre-school (kindergarten) for the pre-prem curriculum.  Most, if not all kindegartens are 5 day fortnights, school hours ie: 9-3pm (or 2.30pm as Mands said).  Usually this is also the more expensive option as I don't think you get rebates as you do with long daycare.  

We will be leaving Tom where he is until Prep because I really like them there and it also suits our needs better than a 5 day fortnight, school hours.  It's also the cheaper option, for us.   I also don't want to pull him out of where he is comfortable, with carers he knows and the friends he has made.  If, for any reason, I was unhappy with where he was, I'd contemplate sending him to the C&K pre-school at the end of our street.  He has his name down there, but I don't think I will use it.

I hope that makes sense.

Edited by themelster, 28 June 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#121 Fabulous

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

We are lucky because we get free kindergarten at the primary schools here and it's 2-3 days per week. Jack will be going in 2013. Daycare centres do before and after school care for kindertgarten kids. We have 2 years of non-compulsory education, every state is different which makesw things very confusing

#122 Small Potatoes

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

Ros They used to have state pre-schools and kindies back in my day, but now they are either the C&K which is a bit why bother for us as the hours suck or long day care that has a pre -prep ciriculum, or keep them at home.

#123 themelster

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I can remember going to kindy when I was a kid.  I often wondered how mum afforded it - that's obviously how, Mands.  No way she could have afforded to pay for it.

Ros - I wish we had that here!

Well, I am pleased to announce I have my happy boy back.  THANK GOD for that.  He was obviously quite unwell  sad.gif   Poor wee man.  I feel a bit bad for venting on him like that now!  LOL.  There is still a lot of "I want" and "I don't want".  But in general he is back to normal.  yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.