October 08 Parents # 76

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#51 themelster

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Wow, very quiet in here.  I know I haven't been posting so much lately but I read all the posts everyone else does!  I'm missing them!  biggrin.gif

Bec - what movie did you go see?  Any good?  I haven't seen a movie for ages.  Uni finishes soon though so I'll have lots of time to catch one soon.  Yipee!

How's everyone else doing?  Not much happening here.  I had my Bioscience exam 1 (short answer) today, think I did ok.  Then I have an assignment due on Monday and another exam on the 18th - then that's me done!  1 semester down, 5 to go!  Can't wait to see my grades.  

I'm on a diet here.  boo.  I've got 8 weeks until I have to bare my body in a swimsuit in Greece.  diet, diet, run, run.  Probably won't make an ounce of difference...  All those hot, young Grecian babes in their skimpy outfits swanning by the pool.  bah!

#52 bec8112

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Mel - you will be fine in a swimsuit! You look awesome! Wish I had your figure. Yay on almost finishing your 1st semester of uni! We went and saw Hangover 2 at the movies, a silly movie but good for a laugh.

Our computer is not working after our power outage the other night :-( it's in getting looked at now. Thank god I have the iPhone.

Not much to report here, same stuff really.

Nat - what is the pink soap you sent in the last parcel? I cannot pick the scent in it, musk maybe???  

#53 themelster

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Bec.  You are too kind.  We're never happy though are we.  I'm happy from my mid-thigh down, and my armpits up - it's just that wobbly bit in between!  LOL.  I've yet to see Hangover 1 - we've got it on the hard drive, just haven't had a chance to watch it.  

I just ordered some MD Formulations skincare from the interweb.  Man, oh man.  Talk about CHEAPER than here.  I just got two products for almost half the price it would cost me to pick up ONE of them here.

Edited by themelster, 03 June 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#54 meeskamouska

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

I'm around too just don't like posting all the time with my boring crap when no one else is posting lol.
Mel - you've got a gorgeous body. I'd die for a body like that. My issue is I like eating. Food tastes good. I'm a yo yo dieter  though.... fat skinny fat skinny. When I'm unhappy I'm skinny as. Clearly I must b reasonably happy at the mo..... clearly!!...lmao!!
Bec - Pink soap.... rose maybe? I don't remember giving u pink soap. I'd say it would b rose. Just finished making heaps of pink soaps. Fairy floss, candy shop & cherry.
Slowly getting a stock pile up of soap. I've got about 20kgs there now so probably could do a market. Packaging done. I ended up getting an owl graphic from etsy for my labels for the time being. Until I find my feet anyway. Went with brown & white. I'll try to upload.

It looks pretty good on the soap labels etc. I had to go with something cause it was doing my head in. If I become famous...rofl... I can always change it. I'm hopeless at that sort of stuff.  It'll evolve on its own I just need to get going with it.

Do you think we might still have a meet in the next few weeks?

Bella has been doing my head in lately.... 7 .... what a tough age I tell ya. Little Miss Know better than everyone. & talk. I love her dearly but by crikey I wish she'd zip it.!!
Hope fully Paul will b home Sunday. Missing him... & he won a $200 Myer voucher!! Can't wait for that. He said I could have it. Might get some new skin care stuff.... u inspired me Mel.

Anyway, better head to my pillow. Charlee has been waking thru the night so I feel like a zombie & desperately need sleep... & lots of it. Broken sleep=fatique=anxiety..... beautiful cycle...just love it!! Not.

ohhh... that pic is huge. Cant b bothered fixing it. Let me know what u think. Love it hate it. Think.... White background, brown ribbon, twine, natural paper. I've got an old white rustic door I'm going to use as a table to sell off.

#55 bec8112

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Nat - I love it! I love owls! I would love to decorate hannah's rooms with owls, maybe when she moves into a big bed we can do a makeover :-) the pink soap was part of the off cut box. Your new soaps sound amazing, let me know when you do a market and I will try to come.

Mel - yeah  we are never happy and have distorted views of ourselves if that makes sense. I have a huge kiddy pouch and I hate it but I have done nothing to help it with my bad eating and no exercise :-(

#56 Small Potatoes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

Happy Birthday Sharna

Mel The problem with the skinny greek chickas is they turn into big older women  happy.gif .

I am around, just not posting much as it is pretty boring here.  Had the last part of the root canal and my gum is hurting again.  Lachie is doing well he sleeps until about 1:45 (the last few nights it has been 1:46 exactly) and then to anywhere between 5 and 7 am.
I am doing a photo editing course and updating my site.  The other boys are okay.  Will is having some ADD moments and just not listening to a word we say and he is really sooky bursting into tears over the most ridiculous things which is driving us insane too.

House is coming along slowly and we should have practical completion done on time, which is the 21st.  We are hping there aren't too many problems so we can move in soon after.  So sick of renting.

We are we thinking of rescheduling the catch up?

#57 bec8112

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

Mands - photo editing would be a great course, I really should learn to take better photos. Ethan has those non-listening moments all the time :-(

happy birthday to Sharna!!!!! Hope you had a great day!

We just watched Black Swan on DVD, omg what a strange movie! Anyone seen it?

Hannah had a fall ( or a push from Ethan? ) we are not 100% sure as we were both looking the other way and she has a bruise in between her eyes :-( hopefully it goes down tomorrow.

#58 meeskamouska

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

No good with Hannah. It guts me when my kids have something happen to them. Hope the bruise isn't too bad Bec. Poor wee Hannah.
Mands - of how fabulous with that course!! There's people on Etsy that have listings for photo editing. U could add that to your card busines... though you probably already have plans no doubt. I lost my photoshop when I got a new lappy. unfortunately I didn't have the serial so I'vebeen living on 30day trials from adobe ever since. I just can't justify the spend to buy it. I have elements but as you would know...its just not the same. sad.gif
Me - got a sleep in. Loving that. Well to 8:20, thats a sleep in around here. Still great.
Paul is home today.
Are anyone toddlers drawing mad?? Charlee & Bella practically draw allllll day long. Everytime we go to the supermarket they hover at the stationary section & beg for pencils & glue.
Easy day here. Catch up around the house. Might put a pot of something to slow cook on the wood heater today. Yumbo.
Enjoy your Sunday.

#59 Small Potatoes

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Nat I haven't used elements much as BIL got me a free copy of Cs3.  ooh slow cooking on a wood burner sounds wonderfully delicious.

Bec Hope poor little Hannah is okay.

AFM my gum and jaw where I had root canal is swollen and sore. I have been sucking down panadol like they were candy.

#60 bec8112

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Nat - yay on the sleep-in, we got to sleep in until 7.50am which was great! Ethan is not a big fan of drawing/colouring, he will do it for a few mins but that's it.

Mands - hope your tooth/gum gets better soon.

Hannah is ok after her fall, slight mark but looks better today :-)
just took the kids to the park and Ethan is still not much of a climber! Ha ha ha. Hannah just loves to play in the sand.

#61 meeskamouska

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Mands - I need a BIL like yours!!
Can you take anything stronger than panadol?? Trying to remember when BFing.
Bec- climbing just must not b his thing. Somehow I don't think he'll be scaling the harbour bridge.

#62 bec8112

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Nat - yeah I think your right, climbing is just not his thing! I need to stop worrying about it, he just seems so different to all the other kids!

#63 themelster

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Bec - they are all different.  I always think Tom is different too, but I've come to realise that they are all just so unique.  Tom's thing now is "why?".  Driving me batty.  And when we are driving it's "Where's that road take us?" whenever we go past EVERY side street  rolleyes.gif

Nat, A friend of mine, Suzie, has posted a question on your soapchunks facebook page asking if you use palm oil in your soaps.  I'm pretty sure you don't, but I thought I'd let you answer it.  She is one of the friends who grabbed a six pack off of you - in fact I think she took two.  One for herself and one for her mum.  

Sharna - I hope you had a great birthday the other day - sounds like you did!

Mands - how is your mouth holding up?  I have to go to the dentist.  I know I have a hole in my back molar but I've been putting it off and putting it off.  Really need to just bite the bulleit and do it.  

Ros - where are you?  No wait, I don't want to know..   biggrin.gif

Hi Amanda, how you and the fam are well.

Not much happening here today.  Beautiful day, might catch the bus into Southbank or something.  It's just Tom and I - Mark is working.  Hand in my final assignment today then one big exam and I'm done.  

Ciao for now ladies, have a lovely day!

#64 Small Potatoes

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Mel am heading for an emergency check up when Danny gets back from Bris.
I also think I have nipple thrush.  Have sorest nipples and shooting pains thru my breasts and Lachie has white lumps in his mouth

#65 bec8112

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

Mands - hope your tooth is better soon.  Also hope the thrush goes away, both my kids had it when they were babies and it went pretty fast once I had the drops to put in their mouths.

Mel - that is so funny what Tom is asking!  Ethan always asks 'whats that' when he hears or sees something he has never seen/heard before.  Hope you enjoyed your day out, I am jealous as I am at work!

#66 themelster

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Aw Mands, you're in the wars you poor love.  Hope you feel better soon.

Bec, the things they say hey  rolleyes.gif   Some of it is so funny!

#67 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hi guys...

Sorry for not being around much lately. I am so busy. Work, kids, helping Dan with his course and being a single parent most nights due to Dan's late shifts. I barely get time for myself. Oh well..

Did we agree on a date to have our weekend catch up to meet Lachie?

Gotta go do some stuff while my 2 are sleeping.

Take care,

Sharna

#68 Fabulous

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi all,
I got back a couple of days ago. Everything went pretty well. Jack slept for about 8 hours on the flight from LHR to HK. It was a shock coming back to freezing cold weather, when we left Perth it was still reasonably warm and it was shorts weather in London and Paris. I am waiting for the plumber to covert our heater back to natural gas from LPG and we are all feeling darn cold, stupid houses with no insulation.

Mands- I hope you are feeling better by now.

#69 bec8112

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Welcome home Ros, sounds like Jack was great with the flights  biggrin.gif yeah it has been pretty cool lately, winter is going to be a cold one I think.

Sharna - hope you get some time off soon and get back in chatting more as we miss you!

Catch up - I am busy with parties for Hannah and Dave on the 18/19th and 25/26th June and then we have plans on the 9/10th July.  How does 2nd or 3rd July suit everyone???

#70 Small Potatoes

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ros Welcome back.  Can't wait to here about your trip more.

Catch-Up2nd/3rd is great for me.  Just have Will's soccer in the morning on the Saturday.

AFM Nipples are slowly getting better.  I don't yell ouch each feed now, only breath very deeply, and it is only for the first 30 seconds or so.  Don't want to go out wiht Lachie though as I don't want to be in public feeding him until all the pain has gone.  Went to the LC yesterday and she is very happy with Lachies attachment so that didn't start or exacerbate the problem.

#71 themelster

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Nat - how are you, you haven't been around for a while and that's not like you.  Hope everything is ok.  

Ros - Welcome back, bloody freezing hey!  Well, it's alot better over here today, but still.  I hope you guys aren't too jetlagged.  

Catch up - I'll have to play it by ear as it depends on if I get any work sh*ts.  But at the moment I can do the 2nd July but not the 3rd (I have a friens son's 1st birthday party that day).

Not much going on here.  I'm meant to be studying but I am sick.  Really nasty head cold.  I can hardly hear my head is so stuffed up.

#72 meeskamouska

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Mands - good to hear your nipples are clearing up. How are your teeth going?
Mel - head colds sux. No good for studying one bit. Was thinking of you yesterday. I went to see a GF thats 37 & has just gone back to uni to do psycology.
I'm around. Just been busy & had a few things on my mind is all. I'm really struggling getting my head around the whole palm oil debate TBH. I do use small qty of palm oil Mel. I think I'm going to go palm free. Its just hard cause the only oil that truly replaces palm is lard.  sad.gif  I'm going to try out an olive & coconut only recipe today. See how that goes. I've had a few people ask about palm & i'm barely selling yet. Imagine what it might be like in 6months.
Anyway, on an up note. I've got a market booked for July. Am really looking forward to this.
Also been busy organising an Aussie soap swap. That has been a big job but great fun!! So nice to try out other peoples soaps.
Ros - can't wait to hear all about your lovely trip.
Amanda - hows the party planning going? When is your trip to Tassie?
Sharna - hows things with you? Busy busy with work & family? Whats aidan up to? Is he crawling for you yet? Sleeping thru the night? I hope he is. Wouldn't it b lovely if there was some magical little trick that would make them sleep.
Bec - you sound busy with all your functions coming up. I can't believe Hannah will b one!! Thats insane!!
Annika - hows things with u beautiful?

It has been seriously cold here ATM. Last night I had the fire going as well as the aircon. I don't want the kids breathing in cold air all night. I truly believe this is how peeps get bronchitis/sick. My little wivestale...lol.

Meet - just say the date, I'll b there.

#73 themelster

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Nat, the palm oil subject is a toughie.  I chatted with Suzie and she was really very happy with your response to her.  She said you came across as very knowledgeable on the topic and very aware of the implications.  Perhaps that indicates that so long as you advise consumers of the source of your palm oil, it may alleviate their concerns???  Lard - that's an animal product, yes?  (pardon the ignorance).  I personally would prefer a sustainable palm oil be used than an amimal product.  
The markets you are doing - is it the Moggil/Bellbowrie market?  Suzie mentioned she was going to ask you to do a stall there.  
Psychology - that'd be a tough gig I reckon!

#74 meeskamouska

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Mel for such a positive response. I do know a fair bit about the palm thing as its highly discussed in forums etc. The palm I've been using is from a sustainable source but I think palm is general is just not accepted much anymore. Animal lard...oh my!!... oh utterly gross is that. Lets all rub pig fat all over our bodies...NOOOTTT!! I would ultimately prefer to go palm free so will trial a few things over the next couple of days.
I'm doing the Black Forest Hill Market. Just as a little kick off trial thing. I did look at the Moggill Markets & they look great. I'll see how I go with this one & maybe then try to get a stall at the Moggill one. There's also markets like Mamma Markets, Poppyseed etc that might b worth a looksie at. Is Suzi the organiser for Moggill????
I could never do the uni thing... my brain is half shut I reckon. It'd take alot ot get it moving again...lmao!! I take my hat off to u girls, I really do!! Legend women!!

#75 Alis Volat Propiis

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

The 2nd would be fine for me also. We could make it a little celebration to meet Lachie and for Aidans birthday. I'm not doing a party for him, just one for family. I am still happy to have it at mine.

Nat - I think the whole ethical trade debate can go round and round. Ultimately you need to be able to source products you are happy to use and that are financially viable. (whether that means absorbing the cost or passing it on to the consumer) The right balance may well be sustainable palm oil. In my opinion the majority of your future customers are unlikely to really care where your ingredients come from. People like to 'talk' the eco-talk but hardly 'walk' the walk in reality. I guess what I am saying is that if you are going for a niche market where your customers care more about the ingredients/sourcing etc then that will be reflected in the price I imagine. If you are aiming for part of the mainstream market then I dont think it is as important what the minority think. Now I need to qualify this by saying I truly believe that you have produced wonderful handmade quality soaps and should have no trouble selling to people who have educated themselves about things like that. Someone who questions that origin of the small amount of palm oil in your soaps most likely makes concessions in other areas of their life. Don't overthink it sweets. You should be really proud of what you have done. Any chance for some vanilla or coconut soaps? Is that too much to ask? Do you know how to make moisturising soaps? I mean like Dove for example. That would be nice also.

Mel - are you on Uni hols soon? Have you heard back about your first placement?

Bec - Aidan is almost crawling... he leans forward and just gets one leg stuck under him. He scoots around backwards sliding on his tummy though and thinks he is hilarious. I still cant believe Miss H is walking. What have you got planned for her party?

Mands - Nipple thrush sounds terrible. The only time I have had trouble is when Aidan was teething a few weeks ago. He was rubbing his teeth on the underside of my nipple and cut through slightly. The pain when he was BFing was terrible. It took over a week to heal up. It sounds like it is all going well for you this time.

Ros - That is great that Jack slept so well on the plane. I agree that the weather is quite cold here. The last few days when I have been getting up to go to work it has been 7/9 degrees. I put the reverse cycle on and that helps when I am getting the kids up. I am enjoying the cold though as it is our first real winter in a while.

Gotta go. Dan has Nadia up at the shops and Aidan just went down for a nap. I wish I could sleep also but I have stuff to do. My sisters took me out for a surprise last night and we went and saw 1927 at the Springwood Tavern. It was great! A real intimate concert, we stood right in front of the stage. It certainly brought back memories.

Take care,

Sharna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.