January 07 Parents # 539

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#101 Mulan

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Megan I'm excited about your trip. DH thinks you are so calm to be going in less than a week. As we were driving through the city today following you I was thinking how nice it must be for you having your parents so close to you. Thanks so much for having us stay. bbighug.gif  We are very lucky to have lovely friends like you and Liss to stay with. Thanks so much to Liss as well.  bbighug.gif

DH is far less scared of this rabid lot of serial killers I spend time chatting with online now too.  roll2.gif
Being home is great, despite a weeks worth of washing bar the load I did at Liss's. However, my back hasn't fared so well from all the time in the car. I'm going to be in need of a pain killer tonight before bed.

Janet a few days after a shorter cut it sticks up but within a week or two I found it stopped stticking up quite as much. I really should follow your lead and got for a good chop now too. I decided not to because I wanted some graduation photos with hair this time. Last graduation my hair was pixie short. No excuses now.

Little nephew seems to be going well. They've revised up his gestation to over 33 weeks instead of 32 so hasn't been transferred from special care to NICU. He is still mighty small regardless though. It will be a long several weeks for them. I'm worried about my brother too. So much to deal with having a new baby let alone a premmie one.

#102 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

Mulan that wasn't calm, it was denial laugh.gif

Codex - I have a good basic list in place & have just made an agreement with myself that tomorrow I'm going to bite the bullet and start piles for packing on the bed in the spare room. Tuesday I'm going to see how it will fit into the suitcases/bage we have & see if there's a need for a bigger or extra bag.

#103 mamaknits

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

waves.gif
Hi

Just a quick update. we are booked in for the sleep study on Thursday night. I hope it will be nothing but I suspect they will find that he needs his adenoids removed. I will stay with him and chris will drop us off and pick us up.

Also Alex starts at the new preschool/daycare tomorrow. I hope it all goes well!

#104 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Ooh exciting, have fun at the new place Alex! And good luck with the sleep study, hope it goes well.

Celia I was saying to Mulan that the special wool market was on at Kingston a couple of weekends ago - I can't believe it's over a year since you were here for the last one!

#105 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

OMG, could I have had a crappier night???

Firstly, didn't take any painkillers, so decided to read a bit in the hope it would make me sleepy.  Got less than 2 pages into The Plague Dogs before I was crying, so I had to put it down.  Tried to regain some equilibrium by reading Buddhism for Mothers, but all that did was make me think of my mum.

So then I put the books down, turned the light off and lay there.  Suddenly remembered that I'd switched the pool filter and jetvac to manual, and it was still running 7 hours later.  Waited till J was asleep and ran outside in the pouring rain to switch it back to auto.

Back into bed, had just nodded off when Leo woke up at 12.36 - sat with him for 5 mins, till he went back to sleep.  Back to bed, finally asleep and Leo wakes up again - didn't look at the clock this time but think it was about 2am.  Sent J to get him to bring him into our bed.

Leo spent the next 4 hours thrashing around.  J and I spent the next 4 hours not sleeping.

Bloody hell.

But, to make up for it, here is a cute Leo-ism for the week:

Getting the boys ready for bed last night, J was doing Darcy, I was doing Leo.  Darcy wasn't cooperating, so I turned it into a race.  However, Leo and I were way ahead, so I stopped dressing him, and spent time turning Darcy's sleepsuit in the right way to even things up a bit.  As I did, I declared, "Now that's sportsmanship for you!"

Leo looked at me, pointed to HIS sleepsuit and said, "Noooo, THAT'S sportsmanship!"  (And as smart as that sounds, I think he actually misunderstood me - he thought I said "spacemanship", and his sleepsuit did indeed have a "spacemanship" on it.)

#106 mamaknits

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

New preschool off to a good start this morning. it's the first time I have stepped into the place (talk about blind faith!!) and it's amazing. the space they have is fantastic. It is on 2000sqm of land so plenty of indoor space and lots of outdoor play area which they are re-doing in softfall stuff as soon as possible. Wet and dreary today so no chance of teh workmen being able to play outside and may be a few days or even weeks before the outside is done. the inside is nicely set up with teh kids divided into room according to ages - 2yrs, 3 yrs and 4 yrs. I like that. Seeing how they run the other place, I have realised that much as it is nice for the kids to play with older/younger kids. it makes programming much easier for the teachers if they only have to cater to one age group and not kids varying in age from 2-5. Teachers seem lovely. The director seems lovely too. So we'll see. biggrin.gif When I was leaving, Alex had already made friends and found himself a sucker teacher to read him a book Tounge1.gif I hope it all goes well.

Edited by mamaknits, 30 May 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#107 codex

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

Great news, Celia!  I hope it stays being a good place, Alex does need a break.  Update us after pick up?

Janet, you poor bugger.  That's payback for your sleep in you know, Murphy's Law and all that.

Mulan, Good news about the no NICU.  He's a strong one, your nephew, good genes.

#108 mamaknits

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

have you guys seent oday's offer on catch of the day? catchoftheday.com.au - books books books.. witha $10 shipping cap. I am tempted by those roald dahl books

#109 donthavetv

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Good Morning ! (just)
Got back yesterday afternoon for my annual weekend away for the family golf day. I went without Justin and Lachy though as Lachy didn't want to miss his footy. It was hard work though without the extra hands. I had Mum with me though and she was like half a Justin, so not too bad. I had to do all the driving though, and it was 8 hours going down and 6 coming back, plus a whole day driving in between ferrying the girls around.
It is nice to catch up with all my cousins though, if only briefly. Had to rush out and rush home yesterday though as Audrey had a birthday party to go to.
After I got home I ran out and did a big meat fruit and veg shop as I had two billets coming last night as I always do tis time each year.
We have Caelan from Canada, so I am picking his brains about my trip. He is an east Coast Canadian, so very familiar with all the areas we plan on visiting. He is one of 11 kids ! so he is very at home in the madness here. We also have Danny from Brisbane. They are here until Thursday night and then they come back in a few weeks.
SO I am insanely busy, my back pain has returned (thanks to all the driving) so I might be a little scarce for a week.
Have a great week everyone !.

#110 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Celia that sounds excellent for Alex! Looking forward to a post pick up report too original.gif

Mel he sounds like a good resource to have, is all the accommodation planning for the trip locked in?

Janet that is indeed a crappy night. Very cute Leo-ism though  happy.gif

Accountability report - I have started laying things out on the spare bed pre-packing!

Did anyone watch Downton Abbey last night? I loved it, can't wait to see the rest!

#111 lissiloo

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi ladies

Grabbing a quiet moment on the computer while Jack is asleep and Poppy is playing Lila the talking Fairy on the ipad (thanks Mulan!). Have to leave to pick up Ella from school in about 45 minutes. Have had a fairly relaxed start to the week, I did a big shop this morning so don't have to think about that for a few days. I should have done some laundry but I will do it tonight I think and hang it out on the line first thing so it has a full day to dry. We look like we're going to have sunshine and warmer days for the week ahead, yay!

We seem to be bleeding money for school and kinder things at the moment. Entertainment books, school photos, first aid kit fundraisers, fetes, trivia nights, I'm sure there'll be more too! Sigh. Just got the link to Poppy's kinder photos, which were taken a couple of weeks ago, and Ella has her school photos on Thursday but we have to choose the package we want in advance (weird!).

Megan -- I watched Downton Abbey last night and loved it too! Fantastic cast eh? Hey saw something in the paper the other day that might interest you when in the UK http://www.theage.com.au/travel/holiday-ty...0527-1f7ol.html

Janet -- so did you have to wait til J was asleep so you didn't have to tell him it had been on for hours??  biggrin.gif  Oh your boys say such cute things!

Celia -- did I miss something re: Alex having a sleep study? And I'm envious of his new preschool, sounds awesome. Poppy's kinder will be moving sometime this year (probably next term sometime) to the school grounds but the new site will be smaller, and we'll lose the lovely big back yard at the current kinder site.

Mel -- I saw your FB updates on the weekend and wondered why you were away!

Poppy sounds like she's listening to Rio trailers in foreign languages!

OK, well, better do a couple of things around the house before it's time to get Ella, we have swimming lessons this afternoon.

Cheers
Lissiloo

#112 mamaknits

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

*Phew* Pick up was as good as drop off. I was greeted by, "BUT I DON'T WNAT TO GO YET" (yes, at that volume!) Everyone laughed when I said, "That must mean you have had a fun day!" He has been good for them. they have discovered he can read (I was waiting to see how long it would take for them to work that out). He had a great time there. They are not full yet but have the staff levels up as high as they need to be when they are at capacity, and so there were 2 teachers, and about 7 or 8 kids.

Liss - yup. I have a snorer and the paed said he has big tonsils, as did the GP. He has recommended a sleep study to see whether Alex has a sleep problem that warrants the removal of the adenoids. We go in on Thursday night. Friday will be a wash out day for me I thinka s I am not sure how much sleep I will get on a pull out bed in his room.

#113 azalia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Goodmorning.

All going well here, just super busy. I thought I would have little work on in these first few months, but I have had lots of wedding enquiries, which require meetings, last week I had 3 and this week two plus a shoot, so its been a bit hectic. No complaints though:)

Indi is going good, the midwife came yesterday and little buddah has put on 500gms since birth and is now 4.5kg. So much for my small baby! Shes so long and chubby that 000 is already tight sad.gif  Makes me sad!!  And I cant believe that she is outgrowing all her cute little stuff!!  Her sleep at night is worse than the day, she is waking 3-4 times, but is very noisy in between. I think I may move her to the loungeroom soon, as I can still hear her, but wont hear all the grunts and purrs.

The boys are doing well with her, it was hard on my own last week, Byron talks all day long about everything and anything and it drains me. He also has exceptional selective hearing and I have to repeat myself 5 times before he does anything I say and my patience was not terrible good last week. But it was ok, lonely but ok. I no longer enjoy dh being away at all, he is way too good now, I wish he was here all the time. He flew in yesterday and is home for the week then out for a month. That is going to be one long month.  Im taking Byron to get his ears checked today, just to rule out a problem, but they will likely say its all fine, and its just selective hearing. Hes still not pronouncing words comnpletly clear, I suspect i may have to take him for some speech exercizes.  

Janet - that nights sleep sounds crap! I had a laugh at Leos space comment, they crack you up with their interpretations dont they!

Celia - Goodluck!!!! So glad that Alex is loving his new schools.

Megan - So exciting!! Take lots of photos of the beautiful countryside, and have a fantastic time!!!

Edited by azalia, 31 May 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#114 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

Thats's great news about Alex's presxhool, Celia!

Naz, how'd the move go?

I'm on the train to the city to see the oral surgeon again. The pain is not severe but constant and it's been 8 weeks since my surgery.  Have a feeling he'll find nothing wrong...

My poor sister has Z and the boys for me - I honestly don't know what I'd do without her.  She is owing back to work in Feb, and I'm going to be FDC for my nephew - no more randomly organised appointments then calling her at the last minute to babysit.

It was Darcy's turn for a crap night last night.  Didn't help that, because of his speech issues, he spent 10 minutes screaming in my bed calling for Daddy (who had sensibly moved to the spare bed after the previous night's debacle), only for me to realise that he was actually calling for his Skanky.  Problem solved by heading upstairs for Skanky and then at least he slept peacefully next to me for the rest of the night.

Oh, and issue re Sat night resolved!  Was reminded yesterday arvo by a friend that our rescheduled dinner was this Saturday.  So J had to cancel.  His mum was not happy. He even said,"Can we make it two weeks later?" and she played the poor me card about how she didn't know how she'd be feeling after her surgery ( I dint know she was having surgery).  Anyway, J is now takingthe girls around there for lunch, as he originally planned.  I know it only postppones the inevitable, but at least the inevitable is put off indefinitely.

#115 donthavetv

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Good Morning.

Glad you have a reprieve Janet, I had no advice because I have not been able to solve my own issues in that regard, actually that al got worse last night.

J's sister sent him an email saying that because he hadn't resolved his issues with his mum, she was uninviting us from her wedding, the email went on with some other general nastiness so it wasn't pleasant. So whilst I don't care as the spolied one will realise eventually that the whole universe doesn't revolve around her and her wedding, I am sad for J.
Life can be like that though I guess.

Net boys as always are a wonderful breath of fresh air in the household. Hard work, but fun. I find it extraordinary that our good friends no longer host kids, they really bring something to the household every year.

Alinta, is she getting cold at night ?

Celia, pre school sounds good. SOunds small though ! how come a city pre school is so small ?

argh, I can't think of anything else, what a pathetic post.
Talk later

#116 azalia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Mel - I meant to comment on your Net boys, I o love that you host them.Id love to do it in the future too, once weve moved and have more space. As for your spoilt SIL I find it incomprehendable that she has actually uninvited you all from the wedding. Her loss but seriously, thats incredible. Especially considering its got nothing to do with her, its between you guys and MIL.

I dont think shes cold, I bought a bar heater for our bedroom, so while Im sweating she is cosy. I dont think she likes the silence if anything, because its noisy all during the day.

#117 lissiloo

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi there

Blissfully quiet here, girls at school/kinder, Jack asleep. I should be taking the opportunity to do some work, but you know  biggrin.gif

Actually I should hang out at least some of the washing so that it has a chance to dry before I have to bring it in again later this afternoon.  rolleyes.gif

I discovered yesterday that I have apparently won a gift certificate for a treatment at Endota Spa. They had a mini-comp on their FB page recently asking for suggestions for promotions -- I said they should have something for mums in February to celebrate the end of the school holidays laughing2.gif and they liked it. So it's for a 30 minute massage -- won't say no to that!!

Speaking of FB I discovered something a bit creepy yesterday in my messages -- when I looked in the "other" category of the message box (I use the new FB message box), I found 5-6 messages from random males who wanted to "get to know me". All asking for more details on my profile as I don't have most of that visible. Ewww.

Alinta -- Indi's probably still just getting used to her sleep patterns changing around. I couldn't sleep with my babies in the room with me either, they are just too noisy with all that snuffling and snorting around.

OK, Jack is awake so I had better go and get him up. Sigh.

Cheers
Lissiloo

#118 donthavetv

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Alinta, they were at your school yesterday, they found the girls hard work, but rewarding. SOme girls with some major issues though sad.gif.

#119 donthavetv

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Oh, and we reckon the uninvited us to save money  tongue.gif  7 per head invites is a lot of money. laugh.gif

#120 mamaknits

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Janet, at least the inevitable is put off for now. I am a big fan of procrastination and delaying Tounge1.gif

Mel - It's new. The owners of the preschool Alex attends 3 days a week bought over this preschool. It's big - set on 2000sqm of land with lots of indoor space as well, but the enrolment for teh previous folks was low. As it is we already have more kids than they did when they sold the place. There were 7-8 kids in his room and there are 3 rooms so about 25-30 kids all up yesterday. It's not at capacity, though. I think the licence is for 40-50 kids or something. It does boggle the mind how these guys make a profit given the fees (not astronomical for Sydney standards) and the ratios and level of care they provide. They must be ok with the pay they give the staff as well since their staff stay for years. a fewof teh teachers I have spoken to have been there for 5, 6 or more years. So.. don't know how they turn aprofit (given what I paid at a non-profit daycare before) but they must, or they wouldn't keep the business for over 15 years and continue to expand. Considering the locations (Killara, St Ives, turramurra, Wahroonga and Castle Hill), their rent or purchase price bust have been hefty too. The Castle Hill facility is on 5 acres of land. I could build a whole school on that!!!

Liss on my settings I set it such that only friends can send me messages and only friends of friends can add me. I was never sure it worked until recently when Chris's ex told me that she found me ages ago but could not add me as a friend nor send me a message until she had recently added Chris's brother as a friend and the options to send me a message and add me as a friend popped up.

#121 mamaknits

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Oh and I meant to say, Mel, about your SIL - childish childish childish. Her loss, not yours. You saved on a wedding present wink.gif Jokes aside, it IS sad for J sad.gif

#122 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

OMG Mel, after all you've done for her! Ungrateful cow. Poor J, so sad for him sad.gif

Cool Liss, enjoy your massage! Creepy about the FB messages though.

Alinta thats lovely that G is home for a lttle while, I'm sure he's happy too. Caelan is just like Byron with the selective hearing & incorrect word pronounciation. The CHN suggested seeing the speech path clinic they hold monthly which we will do. I know a lot of Caelan's is laziness as when I correct him he can say most things properly, he just doesn't bother too most of the time rolleyes.gif

Janet I hope the surgeon can help, it's awful to live with pain for so long. And yay for the reprieve wink.gif

Packing prep not progressing as I'd like but it's difficult when you're going to take a lot of what you're currently using. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away at it. In the mean time I got several jobs knocked over out & about today so that was good.

#123 donthavetv

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Megan, what will you do if you forget stuff in your bag ? ohmy.gif

SHOP  dev (6).gif  That AUD is looking good right now.

#124 cuddlymumof4

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Celia: Hope the sleep study goes ok. Sounds like Alex is settling in well at the new school.

Alinta: That's good things are going well. Enjoy the week with G home but  ohmy.gif to a month without him.

Janet: That will be strange for awhile not having your sister to fall back on when needed. Hopefully all will go well though. Good luck at your appointment with the surgeon.

Mel: I think that is really childish on SIL part to uninvite you guys from the wedding. Some people really need a kick in the butt & make them realise what they are missing out on.

Liss: YAY on the facebook win.

Megan: Good luck with the packing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.