Crate Training
Links on how to crate train your dog or puppy

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi Moderators,

Probably the single most frequently asked training question we get asked, is about crate training.

Is there any chance of us creating a sticky Crate Training thread for pinning at the top?

Hi All,

What a great resource to have pinned!
A reminder about image size, as some posts I have edited as the images were oversized.
Images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Thanks Ladybug

Edited by **ladybug**, 15 June 2011 - 08:08 PM.
to add in image size reminder

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Karen Pryor - crate training
Crate Training 4 Dogs
Pet Place - Crate training for dogs
Crate Training Puppies
Dog Breed Info - Crate Training
Training Dogs - crate training
About dogs - crate training
AAPDT - crate training

#3 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hope you don't mind Spikey, just though I'd add this for people who ask...

Generally they are available at Pet Store, and also online (often cheaper!)

Types of crates...

This is a wire one
http://www.extralargedogcrateshop.com/images/DogCrate.jpg

This is a soft one
http://www.affordabledoghousesandbeds.com/...oft%20crate.jpg

#4 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Tara - I noticed in the other thread that you got your soft crates from eBay, can you remember the store that you got them from and roughly how much they were? Partner has agreed to crate train Mo but isn't keen on the wire crates as he thinks they look too cage-like - crazy male biggrin.gif We've got a small soft onr for the cat, but the pet store doesn't have them big enough for Mo! He's 72cm at the shoulder, so it needs to be huge!

#5 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Never mind, just got one! Only $55, so I'm not expecting it to be too great, but at the same time it's not too much of an outlay if he hates it original.gif

#6 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

We paid $68 delivered for one that is 101 x 67 x 68 cm. original.gif
Where did you find one for $55?? We might need to get a bigger one for Bandit eventually because he can't actually stand up tall and if he lies out straight, he is the full length, but atm he is sleeping across it, so clearly has a lot more room he could be using.

#7 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

eBay - Top Buys Australia or something like that original.gif It was an auction as opposed to buy it now - buy it now were $70. It's pretty big (122x79x79), but the smaller ones wouldn't give him enough room to stand up and turn around!

#8 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Thanks original.gif I will have to look into it original.gif

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

I don't mind at all! In fact, the more info about crates and crate training the better. Hopefully the search function will work, if we don't get it stickied.

Oh, and the wire crate pic is not showing on my computer. Not sure if that's my problem or a broken link.

I shall try to take a pic of my girls in their crates tonight, and will add it to the thread.

#10 annodam

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

I have International Airline Approved PP40s & I love them as do the dogs.
Mine do prefer being closed in, like a den.

They're fantastic for car travel too & are collapsible, easy to be hosed out in case of an accident & used immediately.
You can get them in various sizes too, smallest being the PP10 & the largest the PP50.

ETA:  Pic.

Edited by annodam, 06 June 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#11 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'd take pics of mine, but they might disappear given they are so dark! (I will try tonight and see how I go!)

#12 Quick hedgehog

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Is there any reason to choose one sort over another, or is it just personal preference?
Any particular advantages or disadvantages of either type?

THanks

#13 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

If you have a puppy that is a chewer they made damage the soft crates.

I just like the soft ones because they looked less cage-like to me, they also provide a little more protection (as in a den like feeling) than a metal crate (not counting a cover)... though having said that, I think for us, we probably could have got the wire ones, and because they are in our bedroom, they would feel more part of it! Although Elly wouldn't sleep all night because she wants to watch the cats.

So it's all personal preference. There are cover available for the wire crates, so the only thing I would consider is if your dog is a chewer.

Having said that Bandit has eaten couch cushions, torn apart blankets and a whole lot more.... yet he hasn't chewed his crate or any of the blankets in it.

#14 babybeli

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

I prefer the soft one as we can collapse it and take it camping.

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

So I snuck up on Buttercup and snapped her while she was snoozing in her crate.

Here is what I've done with a wire crate, to make it more comfy.

The top is an excellent storage space for all doggy related things, like dog towels and leads, harnesses, balls, jug to fill water bowl, and other assorted doggy bits and pieces.

#16 annodam

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

OMG, all those fluffy pillows & blankets my Basenjis would have a field day!

We have a wire crate like that too, we keep it in the back of the ute.

#17 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

Here's Elly in hers...

and this is why we zip them in, even though Elly would stay in hers even with the door open, because otherwise she gets Lexi trying to play with her!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...ly/IMG_0120.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...ly/IMG_0121.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...ly/IMG_0124.jpg

ETA: The blue is an elbow shape pillow and then there a big cushion dog bed under the pink blanket. Bandit has a thick blanket under a thin dog bed, with a thin blanket on top. He manages to curl the top one into a ball, but the rest is still perfectly laid out. Will add pics of Bandit soon.

Edited by **ladybug**, 15 June 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#18 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

Bandit pics... (he was very sleepy)

First of all, for those that doubt if a dog likes their crate..

Bandit laughs at that... crate so fun-ney
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...it/IMG_0173.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...it/IMG_0181.jpg

Sleepy puppy...
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/Ta...it/IMG_0167.jpg

#19 Nutnutnutty

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Just a quick question, how big is too big? I have two whippets and am looking at some crates, problem is they seem to be on the top  end of the large crates, but will swim in the next size up. Which way should I go?

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

They should be able to get up and turn around. If they can do that, then it's large enough.
Ours aren't huge, especially for Bandit, but they only sleep in it, and he sleeps curled up (he will move around, but generally sleeps against the mesh part squished up as close to me as possible wink.gif ) He can stand up (but not really tall, but he is SO tall!) and he can sit if he kinda ducks. Elly can stand and sit, no problems!

ETA: ducks not sucks LOL!

Edited by Taradiddle81, 08 June 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#21 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

Callmefroggie - We had the same issue with one for our Shepherd, as the XXXL would have been fine lengthwise, but wasn't tall enough (he's 72cm at the shoulder...huge!). We went for the XXXXL so he had enough room to move around. He also sleeps stretched out, unlike most dogs original.gif We haven't got it yet, but I'll be sure to post up some photos when we do!

#22 Quick hedgehog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

can anyone advise me on the metal crates - the size of the door openings?

I notice on some of the ebay ones  :  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
the dimensions of the doors seem pretty small  (41 x 43cm on a large (36") crate.

The dimensions on this one: http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-sized-p...4-4-x-27-6-.htm
seem to be bigger.

Is a larger door size something I should be concerned about?

THanks heaps, want to buy my crate today to get it delivered for next week  original.gif

#23 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

That doesn't seem that small to me, for a 36". The dog steps into it, it doesn't matter if they have to duck down to get in.

Our openings would prolly only be about that for our crate, which is a 42" size crate.

Depends on what breed you have really!

#24 Quick hedgehog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

thankyou.  That's all I need to know.  original.gif

Crate will be for a springer spaniel.

#25 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

More than enough! Our Rottis could get through there! Don't forget doggie doors are pretty small!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.