Am I endangering my chances of healthy baby by going public?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#126 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

molly, fancy wondering if a MW in a hospital  has enough "experience" as if somehow a MW will be magically more experienced in a private hosp. You do realise it is the MW's who care for you in labour in a private hosp, that a mw in a public hosp may have 2 years experience or 30???
Breastfeeding is also another thing which you should consider in the private sector, because you get plenty of time to get it right before you go home,

molly, all the pte hosps I know of do not offer home visits post dc and have very few or no LC services post discharge, and all for added cost.
And babies may more likely to be given formula when not medically indicated (I know this happens anywhere, nb this is my personal experience and that of mw's I know).
Where as the public hosp often have extensive domicillary programs and LC services offered for free.
What happens to the pte women when after their 5 day stay when bfing isn't "right"?  They won't be able to use the free public system services (in the past women who gave birth in a pte hosp could access public hosp bfing services but not any more), so they can use what the councils may be offering (usually not full time services) or employ a pte LC.
Neither system is perfect and each has it's pro's and cons.

#127 Mianta

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (mollysheepdog @ 05/02/2012, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody may have already touched on this subject, further down the page. She is asking about private or public and the replies seem to be what you are looking for. Personally, I think the private OB will look after you very well and he is trained to see things and he is very experienced with births. When you go through the public system, I think you see midwives for a while and they are looking for any anomalies - but are they experienced enough? The staff you encounter in your birth journey are the crux of the matter and if you get good ones, that is good, but if you get ones who are not as savvy, then you will wish you were in the private sector. Breastfeeding is also another thing which you should consider in the private sector, because you get plenty of time to get it right before you go home, but in public, I think they release you very early and nobody is there at 2 a.m. to tell you what to do with a screaming baby.

I work as a midwife in the public system and I can tell you right now that you get just as much experience in a public hospital than in a private hospital, probably more because you get to deliver babies in the public sector, look after the high risk cases that get transferred from the private system and are more involved in decision making. There is also more hands on and day to day education in the public delivery suite I work, compared to private one I used to work in, where I was in danger of deskilling as a delivery suite midwife.

We are encouraged to actively participate in a official daily handover of patients with the whole delivery suite team including all he midwives, registrars, RMOs and consultant obstetricians which discuss all the recent cases, past and present and where possible interventions, outcomes and care plans are discussed at length, with rationales explained. Not just "this is what we are doing with this patient, full stop."

As for breastfeeding, while it is true that private patients get an extended stay, my experience as a midwife who has worked in the private system, is that while they do provide some good lactation services with experienced midwives assisting with breastfeeding, quite often this can fall apart if you are being looked after someone who is not that experienced with breastfeeding, or who encourages you to comp feed overnight, basically leaving all the problems to the day staff, which was a regular occurrence, once the lactation staff went home for the day. Postnatal midwives in the public system, are usually required to have at least 8 hours a year of formal breastfeeding education (as are midwives who work throughout the public system, in fact I have to have 20 hours because I started just last year.) and a breastfeeding skill competency signed off by their educator. There are also more domicilliary programs and post discharge clinics for breastfeeding offered by the public system.
wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.