Older Mums and Mums-to-Be Chat #1
general older mums chat

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 ~ky~

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thought I would join in ...

I'm 41 and will be 42 by the time this little one arrives. I have a 10yo DD and 8yo DS and have had 3 second trimester miscarriages and a little girl pass away from hypoplastic left heart syndrome at 9 days old, nearly 4 years ago. DH and I are still not quite believing that we are having another bub as this one wa very much a welcome surprise!

My EDD is 31 January 2012 but I will be having a caesar at around 37 weeks as I am a type 1 diabetic and tend to grow quite huge babies!

Fortunately, most people guess that I am in my early 30's when they meet me which is convenient as it makes DH and I look like we "fit" together as he is only 33.

#27 PurpleNess

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (~ky~ @ 31/08/2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fortunately, most people guess that I am in my early 30's when they meet me which is convenient as it makes DH and I look like we "fit" together as he is only 33.

oooh Ky I agree, my DH is only 31 and most people think we are the same age, it's fabulous ...more so for me than him I guess :-) Best of luck for the rest of this pregnancy.

#28 Sancti-claws

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

ha ha - my DH is older than I and looks like he has lived - I like to believe that people think I am much younger (when I actually give a toss).

I am sorry to hear about your losses, ky.

Bluemist - I have to do advanced mathematics on occasion to try and work out my age (well, I just work out my older girl's age and add 30).

Hello to everyone else.

#29 Enharmonic

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hi, wondering if I can join in?

I'm a first time mum at 40 and DS is 4 months old. I don't feel young but apparently look really young- a mum in the mothers' group was lamenting how old she was (33) and that people thought she was a lot younger. I made a comment that people think I look younger too. She said, "...wait until you're in your thirties before you complain about feeling old". She freaked when I told her my age. Too funny.

#30 MyWorld

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

What is classed as a older mum?

#31 bronzzeAngel

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (spring_rain @ 30/08/2011, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope that would hold for me too, but I feel pretty old on the inside - most others I know with kids DDs age (1yr) are a lot younger than me (39).  tongue.gif

Someone I knew was whinging about her age and how old she felt etc.. I just laughed at her.

She thought I was 32 and I was actually 42 and she was younger (39) than I was and wondering why she felt old and I didnt...
I just said it is probably that number looming, but otherwise she shoudl get out and do more and she will have more energy then.

#32 babylovinmamma

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

hi im 42 just became a first time mum two months ago to a daughter-10 pounds plus at birth ohmy.gif i did 6 stim cycles of ivf before finally hitting the jackpot with a full term pregnancy.
do you have a FB group for older mums id be keen to join if you do

#33 firstatforty

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

As the my name says, I had the first one at forty. Sometimes I wish I had DS earlier so I would have had more energy to keep up with him but I don't think DH and I were ready. We were goging to have more kids but I had bad postnatal depression and didn't want to risk having it again. In hindsight it was a good thing as DS has autism. He's a real flirt and uses his long eyelashes to full effect.

I too are quite often the oldest mum at playgroup and laugh when others complain about turning 35 or feeling old. Hubby is 2 years younger than me so I tell people he's my toyboy.

#34 Valley Mum

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi new to this forum. I'm a bit scared to put my age, but am 6wks pregnant and I am 50+

#35 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

Wow Valley Mum - congratulations!  Good luck on a safe and happy pregnancy.

#36 ~ky~

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:08 AM

Congratulations Valley Mum!

All is going well here - the doctors are so happy with this pregnancy health wise and how bub is growing that they have revised their decision to schedule the caesar for 37 weeks and have said I can go to 38! They're also saying that I'm on track to have my smallest baby yet at around 8lb. COnsidering my DD was 8lb 7oz, DS was 13lb 2oz and DD2 was 9lb 8oz this is a minor achievement.

I'm starting to get excited now ...

#37 Kymposs

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:33 AM

Hi ladies. I suddenly don't feel so old! I've been on here a few weeks (I think - I'll have to check). I'm 45, 46 in February & TTC#1.

I'm 9DPO after a Clomid cycle & am feeling symptoms, big time. Not all of them, but BBs are in a major pain zone. Never felt them this bad,k and especially not this early.

Valley Mum, congratulations! Just so you know, you've given me a whole heap of hope by your short post.

Funny, I've been attracting older mums & mums-to-be for a month or so. I'm off to the FS this afternoon so am hoping he keeps my spirits up.

hugs to all!

#38 HappyWomble

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi girls. I turn 41 this month, and we've been TTC for over 4 years now sad.gif We're both healthy (lots of tests, procedures and operations to find that out), so no obvious reasons why it isn't working for us. FS is therefore chosing for us to do a mix of natural and stim IUI as in our case the chance of success is similar for IUI and IVF, but IUI is far less invasive/expensive. That being said, I half expecting getting the IVF talk once I turn 41 sad.gif .

Valley Mum - you're our hero!

Big hugs to Kymposs who pointed me over here original.gif

EDITED coz I asked VM how far along she was, and after rereading, I saw she already answered that.

Edited by HappyWomble, 11 October 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#39 geckogirl

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Hi Everyone!

Hope its OK to join.

Had DS1 at 42 and he is now 5 mths old - natural conception though took about 2 years and 2 m/c. Hoping to start TTC #2 when finish BF this one.

Its great to see so many Mums about the same age! I don't feel so alone now.

Congratulations, Valley Mum!

#40 Anonemy

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

heavens to betsies
what a wonderful thread slash buddy group

i would love to be  part of it

my little journey

had dd at 37
have been ttc for the past 3 years with 2 mcs in the last 12 months

valleymum - i am so hoping your little one sticks!

#41 Valley Mum

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi,
Thank you for your best wishes.
I did have a big scare a few weeks ago, bleeding  and cramps, but still hangin in there. My beta was 66,000 on Monday and will have another scan next week to see if I am still carrying two. I will be sad if I have lost one but still blessed if I have one healthy baby.

Baby dust and hope to all the ladies TTC, it will happen
Cheers,
VM original.gif

#42 Mz*Chievous1

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Hi all

I am a 43 yr hot mumma lol and I have 5 kids...the youngest two being 3 yr and 2 yrs old..yes 15 months apart!!
I have hung my uterus out to dry - no more 'womb for rent'  for this mumma duck.
Am just enjoying - albeit very tired - my last two ducklings

#43 Vicki68

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Good Morning Girls
Thought that I would just say Hi. I am 43 and currently 34+5 weeks (not that I am counting) with my first baby. My dearest and closest friend aged 42 just delivered on Tuesday, a baby girl, a healthy 8lbs6. It was an amazing day...tears of joy all round.
Its strange really our "destiny" works. We have been B.Friends for over 25 years and amazingly we fell pregnant within a month of each other, we had both been trying for just on 2 years.
A lot of people can't believe that there wasn't any kind intervention involved, but honestly trying to fall pregnant naturally at the same time as your friend in your 40's, hell I wouldn't even like to take a guess at the odds of that happening. But the amazing thing is it did...fate has a strange way of working out.
I hope all goes well for you Valley Mum. Good Luck luibee, HappyWomble and Kymposs with your journey...I can vouch that ANYTHING is possible.

#44 Pingyrat

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Morning ladies

I hope you don't mind if I join you original.gif

I've been posting on a charting forum for a few months now and noticed a couple of my buddies, HappyWomble and Kymposs are here waves.gif

I've recently turned 42 and am ttc #1. Started seeing a FS earlier this year and physically, there is no reason why we aren't conceiving. We've been trying for around a year but I did have some mild endo treated in May so I tend to class that as the true beginning of our journey.

I find it hard to not take on board the negativity you hear/read about conceiving after 35 so reading your stories gives me alot of hope biggrin.gif

Valley Mum - You go girl tthumbs.gif You are an inspiration.

Vicki - I hheart.gif your story. I dream of conceiving naturally and this gives me such hope.

Good luck and all the best to all the other lovely ladies.

#45 Feefifofum

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hi all,

I always considered myself 'young' until I became pregnant, and for the first time in my life started being classified as 'old'. Ahh, there's nothing like that classification to make you automatically feel 10 years older!

I'm 39, and 32 weeks pregnant with my first bub. So excited to become a Mum after a lifetime of cluckyness and no opportunity to fulfil it. I conceived blessedly easily, after waiting endless years to find a man to commit to marriage and kids (and be willing for me to hurry him along!). I'm still amazed that it's all finally happening. Which is what I remind myself when the pregnancy grumbles kick in and I feel like a big, sore, unstable whale :-)

Has anyone felt like they're having an 'older' pregnancy? I don't. Any issues I've had don't seem to be age-related, and once past conception, the ease of the journey seems to be more random than anything else. Here's hoping that being an 'older' Mum is no harder, either.

#46 mum to b

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hi All

I am 40 and am 17 weeks and 4 days pregnant with my 1st baby, and am so looking forward to becoming a mum.

My DH and I have been together almost 5 years. DH has 3 kids from a previous marriage (which live interstate with their BM).

We started looking into why we hadn't been able to concieve almost 3 years ago.  DH was diagnosed with an enlarge Pituitary Gland which can affect the sperm count.  After 16 months on medication, all was back to normal.  

Because of my age my OB recommended IUI, she said if I didn't concieve then we would give it 1 more go before starting IVF.  The 1st IUI didn't work, the following month I fell pregnant naturally..

My mum reckons I fell pregnant naturally because the pressure was off.  The thought of turning 40 and had not yet being able to concieved was getting so stressful and I was putting pressure on my DH.

#47 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

Welcome and congratulations Mum 2B!  I know many friends who conceived right around the 40th birthday (one friend who swears her son is her birthday present).

Who cares how the magic worked - hooray, you are pregnant!!

#48 SLJ

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

Wow I disappear for a few months and look what happens.........so many new people.
I used to get in regularly last post was back on page one, but have been busy with two active little boys, work and life in general.

Welcome to all the new names.

Congratulations to all the mums newly pregnant, and all those nursing new little bubs.

To those trying I send lots of BFP and sticky vibes, fingers crossed for you.

Not a lot to report here, the boys are booming along, growing fast (both still on track to tower over me) and generally being little boys.
Haydn has almost finished his first year at school and is still loving it. Mason is going through a few stages at the moment that are driving us insane, but I jut keep repeating my mantra......this too shall pass.......lol  rolleyes.gif  

#49 Vicki68

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hi All
Just thought that I would pass on my fantastic news....My baby girl (Lilliana) was born on 14th Nov @ 12.13pm Weighing 2.760 kgs (6.1lb) 46cm long. Everything went perfect...not bad for an old girl. Anything is possible even if you are a 43 year old first timer.
Best Wishes to everyone. Hoping you all catch your dreams...Vicki

#50 Sancti-claws

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Where is the like button?  Congratulations, that is fantastic news!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.