1st - 15th Jun Parent Group # 1

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your babies, and welcome to the  1st - 15th Jun Parents Group!  We are trialing keeping the PGs in the 2 week blocks that the Due In  Groups are.

Please take a few moments to read the Parent Group Guidelines, and please remember that all Essential Baby Forum Guidelines Apply in here as well.

New threads will be started at around approximately 70 - 80 posts.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS !!

#2 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

GOLD!

#3 Kakua

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Silver!

How good is it to have our own Parents Group!!!

#4 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

It's awesome isn't it!

I'll have to post the Birth's in here too so we all know who has what baby! lol.

#5 Kakua

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

i'm finding it hard to remember who is who when i come on EB (which isn't often!) now i know everybody by their real names not the EB user names!!!

#6 KYMICHELLE

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

I'm here too.  Now I'm going to rest (ha ha ha ha) while Carter sleeps ...

#7 honeydew

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Oo parent group!

Must update ticker.... :S

Edited to add new ticker.... Not a watermelon anymore, little bubba!

Edited by honeydew, 24 June 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#8 Tosca

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi everyone!

Id love to join you guys on Facebook, but i dont have an account! Im missing out on all the pics!  original.gif
Has FTM had her bubba yet??

BTW How do u get a ticker that works??  wink.gif

#9 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Tosca... you should join FB... seriously!

original.gif We have a lovely group there and we share photos there too... It's a secret group so only members can see.

#10 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

I can't believe Ellie is 4 weeks old today! It's gone so fast!

She is so beautiful. I love her so much. All her little noises and funny faces she pulls. Just adorable.

#11 raindotdot

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

I've been posting in the May group but was in this DIG. Is there any more babies still due?

Felix is now 4w3d and we're still feeding every 3 hours or so, even at night. I'm not sure when he will start doing longer sleeps, hopefully soon!

As for awake time, he is alert and follows lights with his eyes but no real eye contact with me yet.

He's got a bit of dry scaly skin on his forehead which I'm not sure if its ezcema. Anyone else with this problem? our pd appointment isn't for another  week but we might make a quick trip to the childhood nurse this week. I took him out today for the first time to in-laws for lunch and it wasnt too hard, but that was with DH helping so doing know how I'd cope on my own.  

Hope everyone gets a good night rest tonight :-)

#12 ~ Cez ~

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Ooh a parents thread!!

Kakua - I'm like you. Come onto EB and I can't tell who is who (except a few like you and Liz for example)!! My username makes it pretty easy lol wink.gif

Can't believe all our babies are here now!!!!

#13 JammyJane

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Oh my gosh I have no idea who anybody is! I will have to study up on everyones EB names. Carrie B is an easy one, and I can tell who Eric is mine is because of your Sig.

Wow parents group. I am a parent. laugh.gif

#14 geckogirl

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

Like Raindotdot, I joined the May group as I didn't think our DIG would make it to a parent's group because of so many moving to the FB group. I suppose we'll see how it goes and whether it just fizzles out. I reckon for a group to work you need enough members to get different perspectives, experiences and advice. If there are only a few left in the group, it may not work for long.

Last Baby: I just checked our DIG and apparently FTM has had her baby - a girl! I'm not sure but I think she may be the last one in our DIG to have a baby.

AFM: We are a seriously sleep-deprived household. Liam is getting harder and harder to settle for sleep. We've been trying all kinds of techniques but the only thing that really works is picking him up and rocking him to sleep. But often when we put him down, he starts screaming again. Arsenic hour for us tends to last from about 6pm to around midnight. I'm just really, really glad my DH has taken 3 mths off to be with us. I don't think he could have coped at work considering how little sleep we get at night.

Some of DH's work friends visited us yesterday with lots of really well chosen goodies. They are a very special group of people. I can't believe how generous and thoughtful they have all been. Without wishing to seem ungrateful, I'm afraid my work colleagues just aren't the same. Probably because they are nearly all males and only a few have children so really are not into the touchy-feely stuff.

#15 Kakua

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Yes FTM had a baby girl and she is our last...kinda sad we wont be welcoming anymore bubbas, but so exciting we all had healthy births!

i still come on EB about every second day, i update on FB more though as i can do so from my phone whilst feeding.

All is going well here, Cooper is gaining weight (after losing alot in hospital) and i think he had a 3 week growth spurt, we will see when i get him weighed again this wednesday...He no longer fits any 0000's and i think we may only get another 2 weeks from his 000's!

We have good and bad nights with sleep, some he wakes 2hrly and we've had a couple of nights where he has gone 4 & 5hrs between feeds. I find the midnight, 1am feed the hardes, whilst the early morning ones aren't too bad, think i just dont like waking up at midnight when i've only just been asleep!

Cooper has had really bad wind which is causing him alot of pain. Is anyone using drops or anything? I was told i had to wait until he was at least 6wks old???

All in all motherhood is fantastic and i am enjoying learning all about my baby boy!

Cooper is awake for a feed now, Hope everyone else is well.

Take Care

#16 raindotdot

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Geckogirl - we're going through the same thing. Can't settle Felix, have had a shocker of a morning, 6am to 1pm and he was still wide awake and alert and a couple off screaming sessions I put down to wind. Every minute that went by I got more worried about him being overtired but no cues at all. He finally managed to fart a few big ones and all up did 3 poos. I only got himu sleep by putting him in the ergo do hope he doesn't go all crazy when he wakes in his cot later. So exhausting!

#17 sage74

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hello everyone!
Chelsea here original.gif I suck at everyone's names. locations and baby details...sorry.

Can't believe G is almost a month old...kinda sad as I want to savour every little moment. She is the best of my three girls (comparing them as newborns) and I hope it continues.

Dry skin on baby face....someone suggested breastmilk on their face...it worked really well for them. Also try not to use too much J&J's if they have dry flaky skin as it is often drying. Most babies do get a 'rash' or pimples, redness, dryness up to about 6 weeks...I have shocking photos of DD1...so ugly!! LOL.

#18 geckogirl

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

Raindotdot: You probably saw my other post re what my dr has suggested:

We saw our GP to rule out any medical problems for Liam's nighttime marathon screaming fits. He said it was either reflux or colic. Both are to do with the fact that a baby's digestive system is still developing for a few months after birth. But with colic there is nothing you can do medically but wait it out. For reflux, as you guys know, there is some medication. He suggested raising one end of the bassinet to an angle of about 15 degrees. And he has us doing a test. We give Liam 1 ml of mylanta before each feed for 3-5 days. Then stop the mylanta for a few days then put him back on mylanta. In this way, we should be able to see from his behaviour whether it is reflux. If it is reflux, he will prescribe something.

I'd written in the other post that it wasn't working but I may have spoken too soon. His behaviour has been changing so we'll give it a few more days and see what happens.

I also usually find that if Liam can get a fart or poo out, then he relaxes and his crying stops - at least for a little while. I know all the books and midwives reckon babies crying for long periods of time is due to overstimulation but my gut feeling (pun unintended) is that it is more to do with his digestive system - wind or digesting.

Kakua: If you are referring to gripe water then my dr reckons the only reason that stuff used to work so well was it previously contained alcohol. It used to knock babies out! Apparently used to be a very popular product. Now that the alcohol has been removed, he reckons it isn't effective anymore except as maybe a placebo affect on the parents.

sage74: I've been using milk to clean Liam's eyes when they are gunky but hadn't thought about it for his skin. I'll have to give that a go. Liam is also rather splotchy/pimply at the moment but it does tend to come and go.

Sizing: Liam is finally fitting into his 0000 size clothes. Based on his weigh-in last week, he's gained about 500g in about 2 weeks. He definitely feels heavier.

#19 honeydew

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Geckogirl - great to see Liam putting on the weight. ...Digestive stuff also seems to upset Miss M. If she's 'asleep' in her bassinet you can see her legs fly up in the air (even though they are wrapped) and there's lots of grunting and whimpering. It can go on for a while and the only thing that seems to relieve it is her getting out whatever it is she needs to get out. She isn't much of a burper - we try but it isn't successful and she doesn't seem specifically concerned at that end of the digestive system, more at the other end. wink.gif

Cleaning babies with BM - Yeah just been doing her eyes as her right was gunky to begin with. Pretty much clear now, the tear duct seems to have matured and is working now. Sounds silly but I get worried about having enough milk for her and the stuff feels like liquid gold so I haven't been game to use it more liberally.

Sleep - The night before last was the first time ever Miss M has made it past 4 hours. Usually she is 2-3 hours at night. And last night we didn't even make 2 hours one of the times... sad.gif Ah well, I didn't expect the longer sleep to immediately become entrenched; I am just taking it as a positive sign that at least she CAN do it. She's shown us. So hopefully she will do it again, and more and more.

Off to the MACH clinic this afternoon to see how Miss M is doing. She lost 220g in the first 6 days, then put on 200g in the next 5 days. We haven't had her weighed since then (a week ago) so I am keen to see how she is doing. I think I *might* be able to relax a little more if she's had decent weight gains two weeks in a row. Mind you she looks healthy and fatter, and I swear her head has grown, so I'll try not to be too disappointed if the scales don't show too much of a rise. 100g would be fabulous. Hope that's not too ambitious!

Take care guys.

#20 macdolby

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hello!

Just checking in here for the first time.

Sounds like alot of us are having probs with wind/digestive issues with bubs - I'm kind of relieved that someone has mentioned that they take a while for their digestive systems to mature once born - poor Jed gets so upset and finds it hard to lie on his back when he can't relieve himself (even if I sit him up for a while to assist with burping).

I just did an amateur weigh in for Jed and it looks like he's gained about 500-600g since last Monday - my scales aren't as sensitive as the midwives so I'm being slightly conservative but he seems to be growing!

DH has been away overnight in Melbourne and has said he'll do one feed tonight - most likely the 10/11pm one which means I'll hopefully get to express and get to bed around 10pm and get about 5 hours in a row maybe.... wishful thinking I know but with him up 2.5 hourly last night I'm pretty knackered and I gave Ella a right serve before about spilling a drink on the sofa as my patience is very low...

Shocking day here, need to stay snuggled up inside all day and it feels like its about 4pm and its not even 2.

Have a great evening everyone!

#21 Sandra

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi ladies

I know many people have  FB profiles,  but we have some members that do have FB profiles are it is important that they feel their questions and concerns can be answered by you lovely ladies here.

If you can try and keep both groups,  that would be great,  but often we get member joining Essential Baby late,  and it is good for them to find support here too.

Kind regards

#22 sam_gamgee

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hey, I feel marginalised.  "Lovely ladies" indeed ... Tounge1.gif

While I agree that it's important that people be able to find answers and some sense of community here, I've found the Facebook interaction better to be honest.  I think it's because of the lack of anonymity, so people don't have assumed personas and it feels more "genuine".  Not to say that our DIG was anything but supportive, but certainly the veil of secrecy can lead to some quite nasty keyboard warrior types on other parts of EB.  Don't get me wrong, EB is fantastic, but at some point I felt the need to move on.

Anyway I'll be around here from time to time if anyone wants a bloke's perspective (or just a somewhat  experienced parent's opinion, up to a 4yo anyway) on anything.  And if anyone "new" would like to see us on FB, just pm me (or eric is mine, or macdolby, or Carrie B, or Kakua, or sage 74, or blue diamond, or ...) biggrin.gif

#23 Mrs Miller

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Whoops!
Ive always hates fb and as you know I dont have my own profile (if thats what you call it) but Ive become obsessed with the fb group and forgot about EB! Its easier because I can use DH's ipod to get on while feeding or whatever but EB is great because there are people ahead of us, behind us and going through the same things as us and I always got great info and answers here so I'll remember to log on. I have no idea who anyone is except the obvious but I dont want to lose touch with the ladies that arent on fb.

Oliver is 4w1d today and not smiling (although he has a distinct "happy" face) - when should I be expecting to see a big grin? I cannot wait!

Also how long will he be in 000? I didnt get to use heaps of my 0000 clothes although he was in them 4 weeks, but I actually only ever put him in all in ones because I think theyre easier for nappy changes, more comfortable looking, warm and I dont need to put socks on him. I want him in 000 for ages because all the "gift clothes/outfits" I received are 000 and I really want him to wear them all. Guess I better start putting him in actual clothes before he grows out of them lol.

Anyone using formula - what formula do you use? Does it even matter?

Must go, I can hear impatient noises coming from Oliver and his daddys still asleep so better tend to him...

#24 ~ Cez ~

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

Mya is 3wks5days today. We went to the drop in clinic for a weigh in and she is now 4.16kg and gained 240g in the past week. I think that's my best ever weight gain in a week while breast feeding! We have our 4wk newborn check up on Monday with the Nurse and after that I won't weigh her again for probably 2 or 3weeks and then after we get back from Sydney. (We're off to see Nanny and Poppy and other friends and family for 12days just Mya, Ethan and I).

We are settling in well with the breastfeeding now. No more cracks, soreness and no more using shields. I don't think I've used a shield in just over a week. (Time blurs now! LOL). For the most part Mya feeds 3hrly during the day and 4ish overnight but that is subject to change depending on her mood. Take yesterday for example. We fed anywhere from 1 1/2hrs - 2 1/2hrs with only one 3 hr gap.

BBL for personals.

#25 KYMICHELLE

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Hi, just a quick post for anyone else taking Blackmore's Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Gold, Woolworths have them half price this week - $16 for 120! Their entire Blackmore's range is 25-50% off. They also have the Huggies nappies boxes for $30 instead of $33. (From today until July 5th)

Also, for babies with dry skin my CH nurse told me cold pressed olive oil is brilliant - also for cradle cap and it has no preservatives or nasties if baby gets it on their hands and "eats" it.

Off now to put the kettle which is sure to wake Carter up...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.