1st - 15th Jun Parent Group # 1

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#51 Zeppelina

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hi all,

I only ever briefly posted in the DIG (I think maybe once or twice... for some reason I just couldn't keep up!) but I had my little boy, Gabriel, on the 12th of June, so I'd love to join you all here - the last four weeks have been insane, and it would be great to have others on the same/similar journey to share stories and ideas with.

DH has been home with us for the past 4 weeks, which has been amazing. He has been such a huge support, especially as I have been majorly suffering with baby blues - this past week has been a little better, but I'm so apprehensive about how I'm going to cope when DH goes back to work tomorrow. I get so worked up, frustrated and upset so easily at the moment. And lack of sleep of course doesn't help :-)

QUOTE (honeydew @ 08/07/2011, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My problem is that I am not a great sleeper myself - it takes me ages to get to sleep and I sleep extremely lightly when I finally do. I don't actually know if I will ever get better at this after 30++ years of being like this, so getting her to have longer sleeps is really important for me. If she routinely does 4 hours I should be able to work myself up to about 2.5 hours of sleep during that time if I try really hard. At the moment the 45 min naps in her 2 hour sleeps are just not quite cutting it...

This is me as well! Although Gabe has been sleeping 3-4 hour stretches some nights (which is fantastic), I don't get anywhere near that amount of sleep because it takes me over an hour sometimes to relax enough to fall asleep, especially with his squeaking and grunting (wind pains, poor thing.) Then I wake up in a panic because I haven't heard him make a noise for a while!

I think someone in an earlier post asked about formula? We've had to put Gabe on formula to supplement the BFing, because I haven't been producing enough milk for him (he was born 3.51kg, lost weight in the first few days, then put it all back on, and then lost another 70g in the week after that - his dad's 2m tall so he's got a lot of catching up to do, being born 'average', I guess!). The midwife recommended Nan HA Gold, as apparently it's one of the easiest for newborns to digest? I don't know really, he seemed to struggle with it for a couple of days but has been better the last few.

Ah, it's quite the adventure, this motherhood thing, isn't it? Looking forward to sharing it with you all!

#52 macdolby

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hello all

Welcome StrawberryMojo - congratulations on the birth of Gabriel (love the name) - you're right, motherhood is rather a journey! Re the baby blues, I also got them majorly the first 2 weeks and sometimes I have a 'moment' but on the whole its getting better. Sleep deprivation makes me worse and of course the hormones are still settling down.

Raindotdot - re larger wraps, a friend gave us a country road wrap which is really large and quite stretchy and works a treat - our DS is 56-57cm long and it has great coverage. They're $39.95 but I ordered another one online and it cost me $10 extra for postage (I was never getting to those shops!). You can take a look at them online, they're under baby boys clothing. Not sure if it has the dimensions on there but I do recommend them original.gif

Thanks also for the tip on the baby acne - it is rather unsightly but I've started putting milk on his face (sometimes by accident) so will see if it clears a bit.

AFM - some days I think we have a dream baby, I can read him and his signs, he settles on his own etc and then others its all just a jumbled mess   biggrin.gif  but the good days definitely give me hope! One thing that has seemed to affect DS is the nappy rash which was very red and rather 'raw' which I'm sure wasn't very comfortable to lie on all of that time and also once he'd poo'd/wee'd. I've started using warm water and cotton balls and patting him dry with a tissue and then applying this fantastic nappy cream from the UK (DH is a pom) that we used to use on DD and its a miracle cream and he's nearly cleared up after 24 hours usage. DS seems a lot more settled since then and he slept wonderfully last night so who knows...

Well, I'm expecting a guest soon, need to do a quick tidy up beforehand. Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

#53 geckogirl

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi All,

Eric is Mine: I hope things are much better for you and Ellie. Sounds like you have had a really scary time. Wishing you and Ellie well.

Co-incidentally, I just saw an article in the Sunday paper saying there has been a 30% increase in the incidence of babies with bronchiolitis being admitted to hospital because of stronger flu strains. Not much we can do about that, I suppose, but it is good to be aware of it being a problem. Makes me want to protect Liam even more when we go out. Its so scary.

Baby acne
: I've been told this is because of my hormones still swimming around Liam's system but that it should start to clear up around the 6-8 week mark. But I'm also wondering if it is because of my very bad diet. Having come off the insulin etc from the GD, I've been getting stuck into the chocolate. I'll have to cut back on that.

Welcome, Strawberrymojo (and Gabriel). I'm also worried about when DH goes back to work. He's taking 3 mths off so I'm getting pretty dependent on him at the moment. Will probably make it that much harder when he goes back. As it is, I can leave Liam at home with DH and make quick forays out into the wider world to run lots of errands and do shopping. Won't be able to do that as easily by myself when I have to take Liam along.

AFM: Its my father's 71st birthday in about a week. So I've bought a really nice wooden photo frame which holds 3 photos and I've photoshopped some photos of Liam to put into it. It looks really great! I've also included some wallet-sized photos because I know he likes to show people pictures of Liam and they only have some crappy printed on paper ones at the moment. I've also got a special birthday card for Grandpa to come from Liam. I've bought some non-toxic paint and I'm going to put a handprint from Liam in the card. It will look sooo cute.

At the art store, I also found these really cute teeny tiny canvases with little tiny wooden stands - like you might have for a doll's house or something. But just big enough for a baby's handprint or a footprint. I've bought two of them and I'm going to do just that - a handprint on one and a footprint on the other. I'll also write in one corner a painting title (probably his age) and "sign" his name in the other like he's the artist signing his painting. They won't be seeing Liam until we can visit them up in Brisbane many months from now so I want to send something that will make Liam seem more "real" to him and Mum and make them feel more involved as he grows up.  

Time for dinner. Hope everyone has a great night with their bubs!

#54 macdolby

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hello!

Geckogirl - I also worry about my diet and the baby acne but i've been trying to be a bit better and he's worse!

You lucky ladies who you have your DH's still around to support you! My DH went back to work the day after I got home from hospital! He's hardly taken any time mostly due to just starting a new job (stressful one I might add) in April and that his parents are due at the end of next week for 2.5 weeks and he's taking quite a few days then. So I'll have 3 other adult helpers to hand over to! lucky me  biggrin.gif

AFM - having some good days where Jed is settled (seems mostly when his big sister isnt around...) and then days where he just wont sleep for very long. Today he's been in the lounge with me all day, sleeping by my side (and of course waking for feeds).

Speaking of feeds, I'm wondering if he's not getting enough just lately as I've tried to weigh him with me and then me on my own and it looks as though he has lost weight since he was last weighed properly back at the end of June.... I should probably take him to an early childhood centre just to check on him... in fact I will do that tomorrow) doh! just answered my own question!

Sleeping - last night it was 4 hours between feeds which isn't as good as the previous two where he went 5 hours (but my boobs were far happier!). Feeling rather tired today!

Ok, hope you're all well, best go get dinner in the oven.

#55 ~ Cez ~

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Mya is 6wks old today!! Where has that time gone!? It's bad enough time has flown and my eldest is 13 at the end of the year but the last 6wks have just absolutely vanished. It really does feel like it was only a couple of weeks ago I was holding my brand new baby girl.

We're off to appointments today and a bit of retail therapy. Not sure if anyone remembers but in April we had car problems? Well it was finally fixed this week original.gif YAY!!! (It took so long for 2 reasons, first being lack of funds and second being they couldn't source the part we needed 2nd hand or 'non-genuine' so we had no choice but to pay for a brand new genuine part).

I have my 6wk check up with my Ob at 11am. Mya is having her vaccinations at 3pm. So we have a few hours in there to fill. I plan on going into work, still have some money left on a gift card given to Mya so hopefully will see something she needs. Also want to get over to Babies Galore and pick up the Love Me Baby Swaddle Wrap (fingers crossed they're in stock!) and see if they have one of those padded fitted sheets for the portacot (for when we go to Sydney).  

Hope everyone has a good day original.gif

#56 Tosca

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi all,
Its so dead in here i have finally made an account on FB! Could someone please tell me how to join you guys on there??
Missing the DIG so much!

#57 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

PM'ed you Tosca! original.gif

#58 M&Ms

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

How is everyone?
DS has been keeping me so busy...his medication for reflux has kicked in now and he's starting to sleep much better. He's a much happier baby and is putting on weight well, in fact he's now 4.7kg after starting weight of 3.1kg.

Macdolby - i found holding him while standing on the scales to be inaccurate.

Finally feeling like we're into a bit of a routine - I am getting to know his cries and how to respond. He's also going longer between feeds - yay!

Hope everyone is getting some good sleep!

#59 geckogirl

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Damn you, FB!  wink.gif

#60 honeydew

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Sorry Geckogirl! Are you sure we can't tempt you over to the dark side. I think most of us check here from time to time but it seems to involve more effort to reply rather than just a quick one-liner in direct reply to a comment as you can do with facebook.

Elmo77 and I have been floating the idea of catching up in person - would you be keen? Nothing concrete, just a vague thought that it could be fun. original.gif

#61 geckogirl

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi Honeydew,

That sounds like fun. Let me know if you and Elmo77 decide to go ahead with the get together.

#62 macdolby

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Is anyone still coming in here to check for posts?

#63 honeydew

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Macdolby - Occasionally! Sadly I think most people have moved on - I feel bad for those who aren't able to keep in touch with us all via FB etc.

Since I am here, a rant... Sleep. I wish I had more. I wish my baby was better at it and I wish I was better at it. I love when others post about their sleeping successes, I am genuinely so happy for them, but it also makes me a bit sad for me (as pathetic as that is). Miss M does 1 x 3-3.5 hour and 2 x 2-2.75 hour sleeps a night and that's it. I might manage to get her to have another 3 naps during the day, usually 2 x 30-40 minutes and 1 x 1hr 20. I can't get to sleep during her day nap times as they are not long enough so I just use them to you know, eat/shower/do washing etc. And it takes me quite a while to get to sleep at night each time so I'd get at most 3+1.5+1.5 hours over night myself and often a bit less (more like 4.5 hours in total).

I have talked to helplines, MACH nurses etc. I've been to our local "early days" sleeping and feeding session. I've read all the books. I've tried everything except controlled crying. Miss M doesn't seem to "obey the rules" re: sleep. I had a MACH nurse guide me through getting her to sleep and I did everything she said with her watching me and she seemed honestly surprised at how much it did not work. Um yeah that's what I've been saying! Well meaning people give me so many suggestions and I think - yeah it's not me hun, this baby just didn't get the sleepy memo yours got. Sigh.... I guess there are two things that are most an issue for me: 1. I do worry about if I am somehow causing damage to my baby developmentally by not getting her to sleep more 2. I need more sleep myself or else I will be in Crazy Town, permanently! original.gif

I have been offered a referral to the residential sleep clinic, which is 4 days and 4 nights, but I am reticent to take it up as I understand that there is an element of "controlled comforting" that goes on and I a just not sure how comfortable I am with that. I also acknowledge that part of the sleep deprivation equation is my own limited ability to fall asleep quickly and well, and no infant sleep school is going to fix that!

Okay, there's my me me me post. Sorry, just had to get it off my chest!

Hope everyone and their babies are well.
x

#64 Zeppelina

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Honeydew, that post could have been written by me (with slightly different times, though). I too have so much trouble falling asleep (more than an hour, usually), and Gabe just doesn't seem to like sleeping very much (am listening to him grizzle in his cradle as I type!), and certainly loves feeding. I just keep thinking to myself, "It can't last forever. At some stage, he will sleep longer than 3 1/2 hours in one go!" Hang in there, I know it doesn't really help in any practical sense, but just remember that you're not alone in going through this!

As an aside, could someone PM me about the Facebook group? I'd like to join, if that's ok!

#65 honeydew

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (strawberrymojo @ 10/08/2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honeydew, that post could have been written by me (with slightly different times, though). I too have so much trouble falling asleep (more than an hour, usually), and Gabe just doesn't seem to like sleeping very much (am listening to him grizzle in his cradle as I type!), and certainly loves feeding. I just keep thinking to myself, "It can't last forever. At some stage, he will sleep longer than 3 1/2 hours in one go!" Hang in there, I know it doesn't really help in any practical sense, but just remember that you're not alone in going through this!

As an aside, could someone PM me about the Facebook group? I'd like to join, if that's ok!

Please excuse formatting I'm on my phone while expressing. Strawberry mojo thanks, it is reassuring somehow tohear that. And I'll get eric is mine to PM you. original.gif

#66 HappyMummy2b

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hi all. How is everyone?

Am new to all this forum stuff. I had a baby boy on the 3rd of June. I would love to join ur facebook group as I am regularly on facebook. I have been so lucky and blessed with my son as he is sleeping about 6-7hours a nite, doesnt sleep very well during the day but thats ok if i can get 6 hours a nite,

#67 M&Ms

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

Honeydew - some babies dont seem to need the so called 'average' amount of sleep. My DS sleeps about as much as your LO, sometimes slightly longer for the first sleep. As a light sleeper myself I found co-sleeping helped as I didnt need to sit up, turn on the lamp etc etc.
I think FF babies usually sleep longer earlier, but BF can take longer as breastmilk digests so quickly. They do a lot of growing in these first few months so hang in there, you are doing a great job!

#68 honeydew

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks guys. The last couple of nights her first sleep has been over 4 hours, so I am hoping we are getting better at this! She has also finally progressed to not having to be moved CONSTANTLY throughout her day sleeps. Now I just have to move her as she goes to sleep and then I can stop. Phew. I haven't quite worked out what to do with two free hands. Haven't had that for 10 weeks. Feels amazing. biggrin.gif

#69 Zeppelina

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Sounds really positive, honeydew! Hope it keeps getting better and better from here!

#70 Melanie D S

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hi mums with june bubs,

Ive just joined this site and was wondering if any of you live in Medowie? We have just moved up from sydney and I would like to meet other new mums. My baby boy is 14wks tomorrow.

Mel x

#71 KYMICHELLE

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Melanie D S @ 16/09/2011, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mums with june bubs,

Ive just joined this site and was wondering if any of you live in Medowie? We have just moved up from sydney and I would like to meet other new mums. My baby boy is 14wks tomorrow.

Mel x

Hi Melanie, sorry it's taken so long for anyone to see your post.  I have sent you a message.

Kylie

#72 JammyJane

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

unsure.gif

#73 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (blue diamond @ 31/10/2011, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unsure.gif

LOL! It's a tad quiet in here isn't it???

#74 KYMICHELLE

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

huh.gif

#75 treesar

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Ha! Now we're all in here checkin it out!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.