Sophies New Liver

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Sophie was born with a metabolic condition which was not diagnosed until she was five years old. Her parents went through various avenues to discover what was affecting her behaviour and food tolerances when it was discovered she count not process protein properly, causing high levels of ammonia in her blood.

Read Sophies full story as told by her mother Jo, of her journey to diagnosis which lead to a liver transplant in 2008.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...0712-1hbh7.html

Feel free to leave comments for Jo and her family here!

#2 4kids mostlysane

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

Am sitting here with tears running down my face.  From one mum of a Sophie to another I couldn't read this story and not comment.  How wonderful that you have had such a fantastic outcome.  So happy for Sophie and her whole family.

xxxxx

#3 spersephone

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hi Jo and Sophie and the rest of the family, I remember when this was in the process of happening and Sophie's been such a lovely girl when I've seen her, she's a credit to you and your parenting.  It must have been very difficult not knowing what was happening but thankfully it's ended well.

I know I've already seen this before but it popped up again today and reminded me of how far you've come.  xxx

#4 idle

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

What a truly amazing story. It is so wonderful to read of such a positive outcome after your enormous struggle.
Absolutely inspirational.
xx

#5 bec578

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, will definitely discuss organ donation again

#6 pink

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

thank you ladies. I was surprised how emotional I got when I read the story back to myself. I dont think I had thought about our journey from start to finish until then.

Life is now so normal for Sophie that it's almost easy to forget what we went through. She is such a happy, healthy 11yo now and doing so well at school after missing so much of it.

Please talk to your families about organ donation. So many lives can be changed the way ours was. There are some great facts and figures on the Donate Life website that people might like to have a look at. This can be a great way to bring up the topic in conversation so we can all find out what our loved ones wishes are

http://www.donatelife.gov.au/Discover/Fact...Statistics.html

Edited by pink, 22 July 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#7 ~ Cez ~

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

What an amazing little girl you have. I'm so glad to have read your story with such a positive result.

#8 aussiebella

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's so amazing and heartbreaking to read your story but also to hear all the things you've ever told me about your battle. You always tell me how much I amaze you. Well honey, you amaze the heck outta me. I don't know how you did it but you all came out of this intact and *fairly* normal wink.gif

Sophie is the most beautiful, wonderful (loud and talkative) young lady and I feel privileged to call you my friend. I've always been an organ donor and have no hesitation whatsoever about myself.
But when I think about something happening to my babies and the possibility of having to donate their organs it freaks me out. But knowing that if something so awful happened, I could save the life of a little girl like Sophie and keep a family complete, then I just couldn't say no!!!

#9 fozzer

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Great story! what a beautiful ending. God bless your little girl. May she live a wonderful life full of love, health and most importantly happiness.

#10 candiceshout

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

A new hope and life for Sophie. Because of your story, it will be my advocacy to donate my organs when I die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.