19-20 degree room - what would your baby wear to bed?
Thinking too cold?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Jyles _3

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

My 11mo keeps waking up. Yes, she's been doing that for months, but lately it's worse. I need to rule out "too cold" I know she's not hungry. She'll wake and doze, wake and doze on and off for 2 hours, each waking/doze cycle anywhere from 30secs to 3 minutes.

I put her in a singlet, a shortsleeved body suit, a long sleeved long legged fluffy suit (from Best and Less) and a long sleeved Bonds sleeping bag. Don't know the TOG of the bag, doesn't say.

I keep thinking that if it was warm during the day and the room was natually 20 degrees, this would be too much. But because its cold and its heated, I feel it's not enough, IYKWIM.

Some nights I've put on a thick blanket too, but too much??

#2 lozoodle

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

The baby monitor says my DDs room is about 19 degrees overnight (with heater on).

She wears singlet, long sleeve all in one, fleecy pjs over the top, long sleeve fleecy bonds bag.

Her bed is made up with flannelette sheets, three or four blankets AND a quilt (all tucked in firmly, no loose bedding).

Yep, sounds like overkill but she sleeps soundly and never feels hot. She went through a stage of waking at about 3am and we added another blanket and she stopped doing it. You have to remember that babies don't generate the same warmth we do - we toss and turn and move around, they usually just lie fairly still at this age.

Edited by lozoodle, 18 July 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#3 Jyles _3

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Lozoodle! Wow, maybe my poor little baby girl has been cold all this time?!
Will try extra blankets tonight.

#4 NatMummyTo2

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

I know my bedding views are controversial on EB but I stand by them. My LO is 10m and in a 20C room in Sydney for daysleeps she has a short sleeve no legs bodysuit, long sleeve long legs onesie, 1.0 TOG bag, wrap (DoubleWrap brand) and 8-9 layers of blankets (I fold 4 blankets in half to get 8 layers). She has about double that for nights. The blankets I use are "Little Bamboo" brand and are 0.64 TOG per layer. The way I found her magic number was by adding 2 layers each night unless she started sweating.

I know it sounds a lot but its really not when you consider most cot blankets are between 0.2-1.0 TOG per layer (Little Bamboo 100% bamboo ones are 0.64TOG per layer (tested), Playgro knitted blankets are 1.0-1.2 TOG (guesstimate – not tested) , K-Mart and Target cotton cellular cot blankets are 0.2 TOG per layer (Target have been tested) and one mum I know called Living Textiles and found some of their cot blankets are as low as 0.28 TOG per layer.

Your average adult doona in Australia is between 14-16 TOG. Yet sleeping bag companies expect our babies to sleep comfortably in just 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 TOG? It just doesn't make sense to me.

With the blanket layering I needed to also make sure all clothes, sheets, blankets and bedding (including mattress protector) are 100% cotton or bamboo as synthetic materials and some wool can make babies sweat even though they are not quite warm enough. We had a latex cot mattress which made her sweat buckets even in just a nappy and a wrap back in summer -I ditched it and bought a normal one +_ added a 100% cotton mattress protector to it.

I only used a sleeping bag with my eldest as she busted out of her wrap at around 4m and she slept on her tummy as soon as she could physically roll over which scared the hell out of me but it seemed nothing I was doing would stop it.

I now believe in the theory that babies roll over to get warm. She's not slept on her tummy since moving to a big bed at 2.5 and had a sleeping bag on and a doona (at 3y5m she she no longer uses the sleeping bag). My youngest is still wrapped and has slept in the safe back sleeping position since birth and I expect that she will stay on her back when she is unwrapped because I will ensure she is warm enough to stay on her back as long as possible.

My LO's night cycles started around 4-5m (one book I read suggests it happens around 6m or 8kgs and my LO was 8kgs at around 4-5m) and I found I needed to make her much warmer once they started - she wasn't actually cold, she was just not quite warm enough so would totally wake between sleep cycles - if she was actually cold she would not settle at all or wake after only 40-60mins.

It took me weeks to accept my baby might be cold as she felt 'warm'. I started taking her temp after a good sleep and comparing it to her awake/playing temp and also to when she catnapped and also when she woke between 3-6am. It was always very low 36's when she catnapped and woke early and high 36's when she slept well and also when she was awake/playing. Every baby is different so my LO's 'normal' temp won't be the same as others but perhaps something to try.

#5 Sares83

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Pat likes to be toasty so don;t know if this is the normal, but his room is 20-21, he wears a singlet, long PJ (top and pants) and a 2.5 tog grobag. He doesn;t have any blankets.

#6 *~*ME*~*

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

our house has been getting down to 15 degrees some nights. i have DS2 in spencer, bonds onesie (thin ones) and then a wondersuit over the top.

he is in a 2.5 tog gro bag and has a blanket as well.

#7 LisaMaree82

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Nat you do realise the reason your baby can't roll over is because she is weighed down by all the blankets?  Not because she is warm enough not to need to roll over.  Sometimes my DS rolls over as soon as I put him in bed, he is certainly not cold.

Also wool should definitely not babies sweaty.  It would only do this if the baby was overdressed.

Our DS wears a singlet, a onsie, and some pj's or a sleeping bag over the top. Then 1-2 blankets.

#8 Liadan

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

I have my DD in a singletsuit or body suit, + a merino wool jump suit, + a love me baby "wrap me up" (now known has love to dream "love to swaddle up"), on a lambskin (medical lambskin, short fibers and no loose fibers, this is VERY important when using lamb skins), I have a muslin cloth tucked in over the lambskin so if she possets during the night it doesnt get on it.

Then I have three fairly lightweight blankets over her, no idea of the TOG, I stick my fingers down her top to see how warm she feels, if she is too warm I remove a layer, too cold, I add one.

My bedroom is normally between 17 and 19c, even over night, I use a blanket, not a doona.

DD ends up in bed with me from around 3am most nights anyway.

I often wonder if she has too many layers in her cot. She wiggles up to get out from under them at times. I know if I had that many layers I would be too warm.

ETA: LisaMaree82 - My DD does that too, as soon as I put her down (asleep) she rolls onto her side (faceing the wall). I put her blankets on and she rolls back onto her back. When I go to bed she rolls onto her side again to face my bed. She is most certainly NOT cold.

Edited by Liadan, 18 July 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#9 ~river song~

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

DS's room usually doesn't drop to less than 20 degrees, however he sleeps very warm like his father and if I had him the way Nat does he would be in pools of sweat.

Last night we ditched the sleeping bag as he was so agitated (2.5 tog). He sleeps on his tummy most nights and has done since he could roll ( I have a movement monitor so it helps ease the anxiety a bit)

Last night he slept in singlet, long sleeve but legless onsie and socks. Then sheet, light blanket and home made patchwork quilt over the top. I tuck them all in very tight. He slept 9.5 hours as a result.

I find with him if the room is warm he sleeps fine, if the room is cold no matter how many blankets he will wake...maybe his head gets cold who knows lol

Edited by ~Nessa~, 18 July 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#10 G+2

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

I dont heat my DDs room over night, so it drops to colder than that, but is about that in the daytime for naps (17-18 degrees), so they're be wearing a singlet and the equivalent of an all in one, 2.5 tog (which I think is basically what the bonds winter sleeping bags are) Grobag, a cotton blanket and then a warmer blanket cotton blanket. (I have ones that are four layers of muslin).

At night  (13-15 degrees)I add a wool blanket and sometimes an extra layer on their top half (either wool/cotton top), maybe if its going to drop really low, I will add an extra blanket after their dream feed.

Used to add the extra wool blanket all the time, but I think it was too much.

Edited by G+2, 18 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#11 scarfie82

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

My goodness! My 6 month old wears a onesie, all in one cotten pj's (long sleaves) and a light sleeping bag. Nothing else. We live in an old building in the south of NZ. With heating it probably stays at 18 deg overnight. He always feels warm and sleeps well.

#12 imamumto3

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

DDs room is about 19 degrees with the heater on, she likes to be warm so I dress her in

singlet
long sleeve body suit
polar fleece all in one
2.5 tog sleeping bag

no sheets or blankets

#13 jules77

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

DS's (22 months) room stays between 19-22C at night and wears:

*a pyjama t-shirt top
*a light long sleeve, no leg jumpsuit
*a fleecy long leg, long sleeve jumpsuit from Target

We place a blanket under his fitted cot sheet, but that is all. He doesn't sleep under a blanket or sheet.

We found he started to sleep a lot better when we ditched the gro-bags - we don't think he liked being restricted in his movement, and getting caught up, as he does move around quite a bit.

#14 eachschoolholidays

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

DD is 23 months old and wears a singlet, flannelette pyjamas and a 2.5tog sleeping bag.  Her room is about 19 degrees.

Sleeps from 7pm til 7.30am!

#15 ~Mintie~

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Wowsers!! My boy would overheat and probably get very ill if I did the same as some people in here!! He sleeps in a singlet, wondersuit or 2 piece flannelette pjs and a thin fleece sleeping bag. I half wrap him (under his arms) in a cotton cot sheet and have a medium weight blanket on him. His room is normally 19-20c. We were heating his room more as we didn't have a heavier sleeping bag but he would wake frequently. We dropped the heat and now he sleeps through most nights.

#16 Allymeg69

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

My little boy (9.5m) is a hot bod, he's always quite sweaty like his dad, and we do live in the tropics so we either air-con the room at 24 degrees during the wet season, or now in the dry season it's fans and open windows but the room temp generally stays around 20-22 degrees, only a rare few nights where it is below 20 inside. On those colder nights (when it has been 12-14 degrees outside and around 18 inside) he has worn:
Flanellete pjs
Sometimes a singlet also
Inside a sleeping bag (Disney motif from Target, est 1.5tog?)
Under a light polar fleece blanket + waffle weave cotton blanket

On the nights where it is over 20 inside, he is usually in a short-sleeved suit or t-shirt, generally inside a light cotton bag (est 0.5tog?) and under a light polar fleece blanket.

The last few nights the humidity has been up again, and he's been going to bed in just a t-shirt and the polar fleece blanket (because DH has forgotten to put him the bag), he was a little restless on Saturday night, and I think he probably needed the bag.

#17 Jenflea

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

My daughter sleeps in a room that's kept at about 20c in winter. She wears a singlet, long sleeved all in one and a 2.5 sleeping bag.
On her bed I have just bought a wool filled quilt and it's the best thing ever! The night I put it on her bed she slept for SEVEN hours before waking up!!! Since it's been on her bed she's slept pretty well, barring teething and the 2 colds she's had in the last month or so. She's just under 15 months. I tuck the quilt and top sheet under the mattress so it's firm and not too long and just the right length for her.

#18 NatMummyTo2

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (LisaMaree82 @ 18/07/2011, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nat you do realise the reason your baby can't roll over is because she is weighed down by all the blankets?  Not because she is warm enough not to need to roll over.  Sometimes my DS rolls over as soon as I put him in bed, he is certainly not cold.

Also wool should definitely not babies sweaty.  It would only do this if the baby was overdressed.

Our DS wears a singlet, a onsie, and some pj's or a sleeping bag over the top. Then 1-2 blankets.

The blankets aren't heavy and she doesn't roll because she is still wrapped, she doesn't try to roll because she is warm enough and she sleeps 7pm-7am because she's warm enough.  I know many babies who have the same bedding but are unswaddled (younger and older) who stay on their backs all night long.  If I remember I'll update this thread when she's unswaddled to let you know if she's still sleeping on her back. I believe she will be.

I also know lots of babies including my own who sweat with wool - the layering would definitely contribute to it but IMO if they only have 1-2 layers of anything in a 20C room they're not warm enough.

IMO its more about them not being quite warm enough rather than cold.  I will suggest to you what I've suggested to others - try sleeping in what your baby sleeps in and you might find you're not quite warm enough either and may roll onto your tummy to warm up and may even wake a few times in the night.  I know I would.

ETA: synthetic materials in clothing, bags and blankets eg, fleece would be warmer because they don't breathe.  If you look at most sleeping bags and baby clothes (eg. wondersuit) they are synthetic/cotton blend so can make babies sweat then wake cold from the sweat.

Edited by NatMummyTo2, 18 July 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#19 Jenflea

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

I do sleep in what my baby sleeps in. Same amount of layers though I have a thicker quilt rather than a sleeping bag and quilt and I sleep fine.

#20 lozoodle

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

I think the baby monitor is a bit generous with temperatures as it feels colder than the 19 degrees it says the room is. My house does get very cold in winter original.gif

But I do notice if she's sleeping at mum's she doesn't even need her sleeping bag and only one blanket is plenty. So maybe my house is just colder than most as we are in the middle of renovations and have no insulation.

#21 NatMummyTo2

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 18/07/2011, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do sleep in what my baby sleeps in. Same amount of layers though I have a thicker quilt rather than a sleeping bag and quilt and I sleep fine.

If you compare the TOGs (thermal ratings) your doona is most likely between 14-16 TOG - as I said before most cot blankets seem to be between 0.2-1.0 TOG per layer (I've only ever looked at cotton blankets, I have no idea what TOG the synthetic or synthetic blend ones are).  I expect my LO's blanket needs will halve once she is able to regulate her own body temp which I expect to be around 18m.

I was responding to the OPs question - at the end of the day if you and your baby are happy with your babies sleep then they are warm enough so the bedding you are using must be sufficient.

#22 Kim

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Dd's room is around 18 to 20 atm.

She wears a singlet, wonder suit and a 2.5 tog grobag,  if the room is on the cooler side at bedtime, she wears a ls pj top as well.

She appears to be happy with that as she she sleeps all night.

All my children have used grobags and have been good night sleepers, all have also slept on their tummies once they could roll, even on the hottest of summer days when their room is in the mid 20s they roll on their tummies, so I never thought they were cold..

Once rolling, babies move around while they're sleeping, that's why they sleep in cots, I wouldn't expect them to happily stay flat on their backs.

#23 LisaMaree82

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

How many blankets should my baby have?
Remember to count your baby's swaddling wrap as a layer!

These guidelines are based on baby wearing nappy/singlet/stretch n grow plus a cotton sheet:

12 ⁰ - 4 layers

14 ⁰ - 3-4 layers

16 ⁰ - 3 layers

18 ⁰ - 2 layers

20 ⁰ - 1-2 layers

22 ⁰ - 1 layer

24 ⁰ - Sheet only

#24 Jyles _3

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

20 ⁰ - 1-2 layers

I really struggle with the advice from manufacturers and grobag. If I just had singlet and jarmies with 1-2 blankets, I would be sooo cold. I wonder if we overheat ourselves as adults? Or, as many posters here have found, this info is just not reality?

#25 lozoodle

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

18 ⁰ - 2 layers

Don't think my girl got that memo, she likes to be snug original.gif

I think it really varies from baby to baby! She's never feels hot (when I feel her chest / back) and never gets sweaty, and sleeps well so I figure she's comfortable. I'd take that over hourly waking due to cold any day. Our house is on the freezing side though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.