19-20 degree room - what would your baby wear to bed?
Thinking too cold?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 la di dah

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Jyles _3 @ 18/07/2011, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really struggle with the advice from manufacturers and grobag. If I just had singlet and jarmies with 1-2 blankets, I would be sooo cold. I wonder if we overheat ourselves as adults? Or, as many posters here have found, this info is just not reality?

I don't know. I sleep naked at 19 degrees, with 2 blankets.

I worry about using myself as a guideline of a good temperature to keep a baby at.

#27 TotesFeral

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

DD sleeps in her room at 18 degrees.
She wears a long sleeve body suit and fleecy all in one. Then into her 2.5 TOG sleeping bag.
No blankets at all, she rolls around too much. She doesn't wake overnight.

Her room always feels warm when I go into there so I would be able to sleep perfectly. I only wear light pajamas and there is no way my doona is 14-16 TOG.

#28 Lucygoosey1

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

My 17mth old wears a singlet, wondersuit and grobag (1 or 2.5). That's it.  The room drops to 15 degrees in the mornings.  She sleeps 12hrs till 7am, so I'm assuming she's comfortable.  I can't believe how many clothes/blankets others use.... Seems way too much to me.

#29 squirt081

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ds is in an 18 degree room and wears this.

Cotton winter PJs
Singlet
Socks
Cotton bed sheet as a wrap
2.5 tog sleeping bag
Winter sheets
Thin Blanket
Thicker woollen Blanket

Both my kids like to be super warm like their dad.

#30 LisaMaree82

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am sure my room is cooler than 18 degrees.  I sleep naked with a wool doona, and I am often too warm.

#31 apples89

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for your post OP..  I think my little guy may be waking up as he's been cold and your posts and the response has helped me clarify a few things..

I have just made him a sleeping bag that has nice thick fleecy fabric at the top and then a regular jersey fabric from chest down. I added some 'mitten' type things to the hands, he always has icy cold hands.  ;-)

I dress him in singlet and full length onesie, then have sheet, double cotton blanket and one of those really soft fluffy blankets on top, I add a heavier blanket in the wee hours if it's a bit nippy.  Room temp is always about 18 degrees.

He slept through last night and I think being warmer in his snazzy new sleeping bag ;-) may have helped.  Fingers crossed anyway...

#32 love*being*a*mum

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

I think DS room would be about 20 and he is a terrible sleeper. Never sleeps through.

As we live in north old I have tried not to over heat him. So we have only dressed him in a singlet  and wonder suit.

He sleeps on a flannel sheet for winter and then a continential Donna.

After reading this I have just gone a put 3 layers on him in hope he will sleep better and that he has been cold.

I do have to say he has never felt cold all this time but I'm willing to try anything to get home to sleep past midnight.

And thinking about it now he sleeps very peacefully under our feather doona . Docent move at all.....

ohmy.gif Think I need hitting with the dumb stick!!!

#33 Jyles _3

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

So, I put two extra blankets on, and she slept beautifully!!! Coincidence? We will see.
Feel absolutely terrible to think that all this time that I've been inwardly cursing at her, she's just been cold  ssorry.gif

#34 peppersmum

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Obviously all babies are different, like us adults, but my 2 month old wears a terry towelling jumpsuit (with a short sleeved bodysuit under it) and has one organic quilt which is quite thick.  Oh and always flannelette sheets in winter in the cot.  Most nights DD3 will do a 4-5 hour stretch in her cot and then come into bed with me for a cuddle for the rest of the night.  We keep our heater on 17 degrees overnight at the moment as it's just too cold!

#35 premmie-29-weeks

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

We heat with a oil heater overnight. I have no idea what temp it gets to in there, prob 20-21 degress. DS wears a singlet, long sleeve (no legs) body suit and flannel pj's + 2.5 tog sleeping bag. No blankets, he moves too much for them to be any use. And socks on the really cold nights

#36 bubmakes3

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

I have been wondering about this too. DS is 15.5m and his room is heated using an oil column to approx 19-21 degrees at night (we live in a freezing terrace in Inner West Sydney). He sleeps in a singlet, a full length (with feet) onesie and a Grobag (not sure what TOG as its a hand me down and the label has worn off but its quite thick ��" we have some thinner summer weight ones and its a lot thicker than those.

I also tuck a blanket/quilt over him but he never stays under it. He wakes once or twice a night and is impossible to settle without a bottle (thats another post all in itself) at least one of those times ��" the other times he is able to be settled. He never feels cold but I am wondering if the waking means he is?

For those of you that use blankets etc how on earth do you get them to stay under them ��" he is constantly wriggling out from under it. I tuck it in pretty tight and also think this may be a problem as he likes to sleep on his front and side etc but trying to roll over in a bag whilst tucked tight under a blanket leaves him all twisted up and then he wakes up......any blanket tips gratefully received!

Edited by bubmakes3, 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#37 ruby

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Babies have a higher metabolic rate and will usually 'feel' warm as a result, so the old adage " if they feel warm they're warm enough" is completely untrue. They won't let you know if they are cold either, babies who are cold don't cry or feed in an effort to conserve energy.

DD sleeps in our room and is often in bed with me, wearing a singlet, long sleeve body suit, wondersuit , fleecy pants and a wool cardigan. In her cot I use wool blankets. I find the cotton cellular ones so heavy and not great for keeping warmth in. We are in QLD but have a very cold house sad.gif

Ruby

#38 Jyles _3

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Update: the last 3 nights have been her best sleeps ever.
Using more blankets than the SIDS guidelines say.

Feel ridiculous - is it possible that all this time, even in autumn, she was cold and that's why she kept waking up crying and not going back to sleep???? Or is it just a bizarre coincidence, hmmmm.

Been frantically checking every mention on the web, and it seems to me that most parents put more on their babies than they "should", but it works.
I wonder how hot does a baby need to be to overheat?

The spectre of SIDS is strong, but OMG, have I been causing my baby months of suffering??!!

#39 imamumto3

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

glad you have found something that is working, enjoy the extra rest!

#40 Jyles _3

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

OK, so it was just coincidence! Last two nights back to the normal up-for-2-hours caper. Bummed that it's not over, but relieved she wasn't just cold all this time!

#41 melajoe

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

DD2 (13 months) is a sweaty little thing, she doesn't seem to feel the cold but gets hot really easily.

At night she wears a singlet & socks, then either a wondersuit type suit, or flannelette pj's.  She has flannelette sheets and then one cot blanket, two if it is really cold.  We have a woolen underlay/mattress protector type thing which helps too.

Any more than that and she just gets too hot.  There is no way she would be comfortable in the many layers some people are dressing their babies in.  

Sometimes she ends up in our bed but she is like a little hot water bottle!  We always take the doona off and just have a plain sheet and a light blanket when she's in bed with us otherwise we all get too hot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.