How to remove Armpit hair for the first time

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 balletmum

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I wasn't planning on introducing my daughter to any form of hair removal till at least 12, but she has developed early (she is 10 1/2) and does have light but noticeable hair in her armpits. This would normally not be a problem but she is a dancer so lots of arm waving in leotards. With a serious weekend long dance competition coming up where she is doing 3 solos she is self conscious about how it looks.

Waxing and shaving are out in my mind because I don't want her to go through the pain of waxing or deal with continually having to shave once she has started (which also includes the risk factor of cutting herself by accident which  I do not want). Besides I'm sure her skin is too soft for either of these to be done safely.

The only thing I can think of is the depilatory creams - but are these dangerous to young skin too??

I don't want to do anything that will cause her harm but I also don't want her feeling self conscious about this (she has already had a couple of friends mention it).

Any advice??

#2 schrodinger's cat

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

Go the waxing, if she starts now her hair will be well reduced by the time she has finished puberty.  Dep creams can really burn.

#3 Fluster

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

As per the PP, wax.  I like Nair hard wax.  Just heat it up (test it on you first - it freaking kills if it's too hot!), apply to a powdered armpit, and rip out the hair.  If there is any wax stuck to her skin, just wash it off with warm water.  Wax strips are awful; avoid at all costs.

I've seen young girls, your daughters age, at salons getting their brows done for the same reason (kids can be mean sad.gif ) so that might be an option if you don't want to do it yourself.

#4 sillysausage

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

I would also perhaps take her to a salon for professional waxing.  I imagine they would be very discreet and professional and would possible have a range of waxes - they would be able to use most appropriate for young skin.

#5 HappyWomble

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I plucked because my mum wouldn't let me shave. It helps keep the area of hair growth small too. And you can control the pain, as opposed to waxing, and she can do it herself and there's no chance of her hurting herself. Waxing might freak her out, with the pain. Kids that age aren't really up for pain for longer term gain. I really think plucking is the gentlest option.

#6 NewMum99

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Agree! I wish my mum had got me waxing as a teenager. She was au naturale so I bought disposable razors secretly and used them in my bedroom - DRY! Ouch! And IN-GROWNS!! That wax PP mentioned that just goes hard itself is gold.

#7 mumofm

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

I remember that i actually started developing at around that age too. At first i used mum's razor without her noticing, but when she did notice she started taking me to the beautician to get waxed. I remember it hurt - a lot! I'd suggest probably going the Nair/depilatory route instead.

#8 twinboys

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wax...And make sure they use hard wax/Hot wax.
This is removed by hand not by cloth or paper strip.
The drawback is that you have to wait till the hair is long enough to wax
Yes it will hurt but the more it is done the less the hair grows back.

The other option is you shaving her arm pits until she is at an age that she can do it herself.
This can be done when needed and the hair can be any length.

Cream removal products are nasty in my opinion as they can do a lot of damage to the skin

#9 VintageEyes

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

I think waxing would be a harsh introduction to hair removal! If it was me, I would go for one of the creams, you can get ones that are suitable for sensitive skin. And it grows back nice and soft as well.

And good on you for helping your DD, I was an early developer too and I think my mum was in a bit of denyal and wouldn't let/help me shave - and no way for me to buy my own shavers as we lived in the country and I only went shopping with Mum.

#10 *LG*

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

How about an electric shaver - quick, pain-free and less chance of cutting/. hurting herself?

#11 ~*~Jacqui~*~

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

I would wax and I really wish my Mum had started me doing the waxing path as a teen.  Yes, it will hurt but it is quick and 10mins later forgotten about.

#12 Amanda_R

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Take her to a good salon and get it waxed.  Someone who knows what they are doing will be a lot less painful, and it has more benefit long term.  In time you/she can DIY, but to begin with I'd pay someone to do it.

#13 emiboo

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Mum said hair removal was for 'bad women' (like whores, I guess she meant) so I used my dad's (facial) razor for ages and then secretly bought disposables when I went to the shops with school. LOL... I was always nervous that I would leave 'armpit odour' on my dad's razor and he would work it out LOLOL

Needless to say, my mother does not remove any sort of body hair... blink.gif

#14 ~*~Jacqui~*~

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

And yes, take her to a salon, don't do a home job for the first few times.

#15 toosenuf

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

DD1 is 12, she has needed to shave under her arms all year.  We started with a cream that you would wipe off witha wet cloth, but she said it hurt too much, the wiping with the cloth.  So then we started using a Veet cream (link below) you just spray it on, leave for up to 5-10 mins, and remove with a spatula that looks like a razor but is plastic, she says it tickles a little.

http://www.veet.com.au/veet-spray-on.php

Also wipe off her skin straight after, i use warm water, she has never had a problem, so far, will also use it for DD2 when she needs it too.

Edited by toosenuf, 19 July 2011 - 10:51 PM.

#16 starsg

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (sillysausage @ 19/07/2011, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also perhaps take her to a salon for professional waxing.  I imagine they would be very discreet and professional and would possible have a range of waxes - they would be able to use most appropriate for young skin.

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 19/07/2011, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take her to a good salon and get it waxed.  Someone who knows what they are doing will be a lot less painful, and it has more benefit long term.  In time you/she can DIY, but to begin with I'd pay someone to do it.

Definitely this! Those creams have some hideous chemicals in them that I wouldn't want to be putting anywhere near such young skin!

Waxing is all over in a few seconds, especially if done professionally, and will keep the hair away for the longest amount of time too.

#17 Polly Esther

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Depilatory cream is the same as shaving - just in a cream.

Shaving is depilating... so is using those creams. It means taking the hair from surface of the skin upwards. It will grow back just as quick as with shaving (despite what the ads tell you). They can also cause burns.

Waxing underarms, IMO, hurts like hell... but I've got LOTS of hair under there (or would, if I allowed it to grow), and it's quite thick. I am not a wuss who finds all forms of waxing extremely painful either - I can get through a brazillian quite fine.

If she's only got a little hair though, waxing may be a decent option.

Otherwise - I'd just teach her how to use a razor. Good ones with changable heads, or an electric one even, should mean way less chance of cuts or nicks.

#18 Missmarymack

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 19/07/2011, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. That way if it hurts too much she can be angry at someone else wink.gif

#19 Nerileeway

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

My dd just shaved under her arms for the first time last week.  She is 11.  I bought her a good pink razor and shaving cream for sensitive skin and she had no problems.  I gave her simple instructions as well.

I can't afford to get waxing done as there are 3 girls in this house.  They can pay for waxing when they have a job if they want to.

#20 somila

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

I would second shaving (wet, with shaving cream and a good razor).  Waxing never made much difference to regrowth for me ... ??? shrug.gif

#21 Chill-Pill

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

I would also go for shaving, it is a myth that it makes hair grow back thicker.

#22 Speshelle

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

I have to agree with a PP about tweezing. If there aren't that many its easy to maintain if she stays on top of it.

If that fails she can then do waxing. The pain wouldnt be so bad if she was already tweezing beforehand.

#23 *l&k*mama

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

I would only use a depilatory cream if it is for sensitive skin.  I personally had an awful underarm burning experience (as a young adult) from using a cream, and couldn't put my arms down for a week or more!

I think waxing is the way to go, in a salon, or as others have said, just teach her to shave carefully.  My 12 year old has been shaving successfully for a year or so now.  Buy a decent razor with a swivel head, and voila!

We had a similar dilemna earlier this year with regard to how to remove a growing more obvious moustache - some people swore by waxing, others by cream, others by bleach - and just as many people had horror stories of each method!  In the end I bought her Nair sensitive hair removal cream and she just uses that when she feels the need.

Good luck, and good on you for being sensitive to her needs.  As a dancing mum, I get it!

#24 4forme

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

I did the wax option for my 11yo, theres not much underarm hair so those mini strips you buy work wonders. It is ouch for a second but she is willing to pay that price for hairless pits.

#25 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (starsg @ 19/07/2011, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those creams have some hideous chemicals in them that I wouldn't want to be putting anywhere near such young skin!

Agree. Though I would start with shaving It's hard to cut yourself with a razor that has three or more blades.
Though if you can afford it - have it lazered and then she may never have to worry about it.

I think everyone male and female should remove their armpit hair for hygiene/B.O. reasons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.