Can anyone recommend a shampoo for eczema sufferer?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kattrel

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

As the title suggests, I need a sensitive shampoo and conditioner that I can use which won't be a problem to my eczema.

I have eczema on my hands and wrists but also my scalp.  I'm wanting to start eliminating things to find out what's causing it and I thought a good start would be my shampoo.

I want something that is sensitive (natural ingredients if possible) that won't leave my hair looking horrible.  Ideally, I'd love both a shampoo and conditioner.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

TIA

#2 paula32

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Neutragena have a good product, I think the shampoo is a brown colour and can get in supermarkets.

#3 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Maybe try the Dermaveen one - I used just the shampoo for DS and his hair was always nice and shiny.

I don't think it is all natural though, but it's made from oatmeal I think.

Edited by aimee28, 25 July 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#4 shatavari

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

I use the Miessence shampoo. Previously to that I used Avalon brand. Everything else that I tried makes my scalp itch - I am very sensitive. Miessense is 100% natural. I know there are a lot of brands out there saying they are natural but contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate) or some derivative of this. It's a cheap foaming agent not good for skin and scalp, and certainly not natural.
Miessence is online and in some health food shops. Has worked for me so far!

#5 ironbutterfly

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Moogoo if you don't have any problems with milk proteins.

#6 FeralHez

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

I used goatsmilk shampoo and conditioner -- white and pink bottle from the health food store, can be hard to find but I got good results.

#7 coco100

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

Neutragena have a good product, I think the shampoo is a brown colour and can get in supermarkets.

This is called T-Gel. I used it when I was a kid as I had psoriasis on my scalp.. the PP is right it is a brownish colour, and the bottle was clear with a blue lid.

#8 bubbanme

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

I'm having the same problem OP. I've tried MooGoo but unfortunately it hasn't worked for me much to my dissapointment sad.gif I never spend too much on shampoo so MooGoo was a stretch because I really thought it would work but unfortunately not. Will be watching this thread!

I'm having the same problem OP. I've tried MooGoo but unfortunately it hasn't worked for me much to my dissapointment sad.gif I never spend too much on shampoo so MooGoo was a stretch because I really thought it would work but unfortunately not. Will be watching this thread!

#9 *mylittleprince*

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

I think it's to avoid all producs with parabens/SLS/petrochemicals, etc as I think that is the major cause of dermatitis, etc.

I use Organic care, $3 each from Woolies.

#10 1ds1dd

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Moo goo works a dream for me.

#11 Sunny003

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

MooGoo products contain cows milk, which a lot of eczema suffered are allergic to.

Have you had skin prick tests at all?

It's also worse in winter, due to fan heaters and dry winds.

DS2 uses dermaveen shampoo, no conditioner, but I think they make one.

I've gone Paleo (grain & dairy free) and my eczema is doing much better.

HTH

#12 DontKnow2015

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

We have Neutragena T/Gel for DH who suffers from bad excema. - Shampoo is brown in colour and the conditioner is a white colour...

We tried goats milk and a few of the different natural remedies but are yet to find one that works really well for him...  So we have stopped on Neutragena set up for the last 6 - 9 months....

#13 glowlight

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

I recommend moogoo as well. All their products are formulated for problem skin.

#14 SMforshort

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

I am also looking for a solution.

I was using the T-gel from Neutragena - until I read on the bottle that it shouldn't be used while pregnant.

I'm not pregnant but do worry about what ingredient/s it has that would preclude use during pregnancy, and what the potential for harm is.

Does anyone know the reasoning for this warning?

Having said that, it did work well and I'd love to find another product that works that well.
SM

#15 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Yep, we do MooGoo here.  Worked for my kids' eczema.  Have been using it for YEARS.

#16 HappyWomble

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Have you tried bicarb for shampoo, white vinegar for conditioner? Google it, there's plenty of people doing it. I add the bicarb dry to my dry hair before getting into the shower. Other wet their hair and use a bicarb solution and pour/comb it through their hair. The vinegar you use a dilute solution and pour/comb it through. I must admit, the vinegar works better as a conditioner than bicarb does as a shampoo, but it depends on your hair type. Bicarb is also pretty good for sufferers of eczema. HTH

ETA - I currently alternate between MooGoo products and the bicarb/vinegar options.

Edited by HappyWomble, 25 July 2011 - 10:05 PM.

#17 limakilo

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

I use Tgel, I have really bad psoriasis on my scalp, to the point where patches would be constantly damn and peeling of in chunks, TMI sorry.

I use that and Moroccan Oil and it's back to the point of a light flake every now and again.

I also take vitamin E oil caps, or fishoil, or evening primrose oil, depending on what's on special.

#18 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

I found Neutrogena T-gel made my scalp even more itchy sad.gif I'm currently using Moogoo which seems to be working quite well.

#19 Prickly

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

Healthfood shop sells a brand of shampoo & conditioner called Melrose. It is reasonably priced. It has no parabens, SLS or petrochemicals.

My husband and sister use the shampoo & then the Moogoo conditioner.

#20 FirstTimer2011

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

I also suffer from eczema and dermatitis on my scalp. I use Al'chemy shampoo and conditioner, the sensitive/unscented of both types and have found that after using them for a while that my scalp is a LOT better and my hair is also really healthy and shiny. Certified organic ingredients, Aussie owned, SLS/paraben/silicone etc free. They also won Best Eczema Range in the Natural Health Beauty Awards last year.

You can look at the shampoo here

And the conditioner here here

You can purchase Al'chemy from Priceline. I have also asked them for samples (use the 'contact us' part of their website), so you might get freebies from them to try. They didn't charge anything for the samples.

#21 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Just wanted to say that I use Moogoo, and it absolutely does NOT contain any milk products, as previous posters have said. Check the ingredients before saying this stuff! Their ingredients are listed very clearly on their website.

I also use the $3 Organics stuff from Coles/Woolies. (My hair 'gets used' to one shampoo after a while and needs a change.)

I am keen to try the bicarb thing too!

As for what is contained in products such as T-Gel, the Moogoo website has a lot of information about what is in these harsh shampoos and why it might be a good idea to stay away from them.

Edited by aleithaki, 15 August 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#22 Mis84

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (ironbutterfly @ 25/07/2011, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moogoo if you don't have any problems with milk proteins.

Moogoo here too. I suffer terribly with eczema and have recently switched a lot of things I used to natural stuff and Moogoo stopped my scalp itching.

#23 delliebellie

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Another Dermaveen fan here -shampoo and conditioner, body cream and an lotion that I use for DD's face seem to be the only products she doesnt react to

#24 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

I should add on the Moogoo front, that I used it for a couple of weeks before the itching settled down, but now it's great. Maybe because it's gentle and takes a while to get rid of the nasties in your hair?

#25 cat5245

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Sounds a bit weird, but I use Gaia baby wash as shampoo, body wash and hand wash! It works really well as a shampoo - gentle, doesn't dry your hair out too much and not full or nasty chemicals. I also use Gaia spray leave in conditioner. You can find the baby body wash in Woolworths, the leave in conditioner is a bit harder to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.