Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 steen2007

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

GOLD!

How is everyone, we are just coming out of a very busy week, including an engagement party and work BBQ and trip to the snow.

#3 Myprincesses

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

DCfox - I'm praying that bub holds on until DH gets home.

A busy week here yet again after a week of sick kiddies and DH being away. I take my hats of to you all who have their partner away for extended periods of time. It is hard work with littlies on your own. I've only done 12 weeks this year but that is certainly more than enough.

Slow getting our heads around the move. NOt much more to do now but wait... for a house, for a job, for daycare. And i hate waiting!

Have to go and get a report finished for work that is due Wednesday.

#4 anna-wa

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hey all, I've been MIA from the thread for a few weeks .. hope all is well although it doesn't look like the thread has moved too much.

Dcfox - if you need any friends up in Cairns I have two ppl on facebook (who used to live here in Rockingham) you could befriend.  

My DH is FINALLY at sea after 2yrs ashore, 1yr shore posting then the rest medically unfit for sea.  Took him to the airport and he will come back with the ship in a weeks time.  Apparently a family day is organised for up to two ppl to be taken down the coast for an overnight trip back .. a great idea if you only have 'two' ppl in a family but unfortunately four of us are left.   Anyways that's the jist of it I heard while on the phone to hubby while out with the dog and kids at Safety Bay.  A dog fight had occurred with two other dogs nearby and my doggy was woofing in support.  

At the airport Eve was fine, she sat watching the plane and everything else as she has grown up a bit since she last went to the airport and saw such things.  Last was meeting my brother at the luggage carousel last year.

I threatened the other two kids if they were to bicker or annoy each other their technology privileges will be gone instantly.    Last night went ok.

As most of you are IKEA fans, you will find my experience on Saturday by myself with no kids or hubby most amusing.  Firstly missed the turn off until I was sailing by it .. thnkfully my phone nav worked brilliantly  (love the new Android 2.3 firmware update) getting me back there.  I then was directed by a lady at IKEA as to which direction to go with my trolley but she didn't specify where else to go (it's been 12mths since I last went to IKEA) .. so I'm going against the arrows .. confuzzled as everyone is going in the opposite direction .. picked up some stuff then sat at the cafeteria, started from scratch following the arrows and was much better but by that time the lights were annoying and I was mentally frazzled.  I forgot two items I went there for (underbed storage for the older kids) and 3 drawers for the Trofast toy storage thingys.

Oh welll happy now as my new 100mm macro lens and speedlite have arrived.  DWI - awesome for delivery and goods.

PS got my family assistance so brought a treadmill.  A few of you know I've been on about one for a few years now so finally it's happened.  It makes me sweat and my heart rate increase sooooo unlike walking the dog who stops to sniff and pee every minute.

Hope everyone is well.

#5 satanskitti

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hey girls, just received a posting order in June to Oakleigh in Victoria, havebeen less then impressed with the quality of houses available in and around Yallambie, ie either heating in only one room and no airconditioning in any of the properties there.  Most have little to no security on windows, detached garages, etc whine whine whine.  Anyway quick question regarding toll (who I absolutely friggen hate dealing with.  We submitted our AFR a month ago and haven't heard anything from them. And our Homefind access is still only preview.  Does this automatically swap to lockdown access at some stage or do we need to follow it up?  I have also told them we may go married/separated if the housing is not what we require.  We applied to rent above our categorisation but this has been knocked back pending other families and their requirements within that catergory.  So if there is housing available above our entitlement and we are willing to pay we can but we have to wait and see the requirements before they will commit to us being allowed to do this.  So my question other then the homefind access one I just typed out is has anyone lived in Yallambie?  Did you have a decent property (The properties which have been listed to date have been absolute dumps!), what were the schools around their like, the neighbourhood etc?  Was it a reknown safe area or otherwise, and is it pretty close to a good hopsital? Thanks, Yvonne.

#6 dcfox3

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi all,
Hows everyone going?

Anna- Glad to hear your DH is finally getting a sea posting. Its been a long road getting there. Hope your enjoying your new treadmill.

Turns out i got some good news yesterday, the ship DH is on has had to go into port for repairs. So they have decided to let DH fly home early so he will be home for the birth, he will be here tomorrow.  eexcite.gif eexcite.gif eexcite.gif eexcite.gif    He will go back and work at the base until the baby gets here, then rejoin the ship when it gets back to Cairns in October.

#7 shaggybanks

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi all, Like anna I have been MIA for some time. Im finding time is flying by really fast and I cant believe nearly 3 mths has passed since G went to Afghan. A very sad day last week as another soldier was KIA. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all a little close as he was attached to the Unit G is with.

On a good note only a week left tlll I fly out to Paris and Rome. Im so looking forward to it. I cant wait to see how G is going and hear all of his adventures although not sure if I want to hear to many. In my head I imagined where they were living was away from the action and they drove out there every day but the other night while skyping there was an incident and lots of outside action which made me all the more aware of what is actually happening.

How is everyone else going. I havent read back as i fear theres too much to go through

Visitors have arrived so ill cut it short

#8 heidistar

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

So Hubby has been struggling here at RMC, failed a test recently & now pulled out of a battle block due to medical issues in the site where he had his Gallbladder removed. So looking like he'll be back classed again :/ ... Anyway his thinking of going other ranks as he doesn't think he can go through & pass the 2nd class again, his looking at Military Police....

My question is if he gets into OR's would i move with him to IET's or would i move to where his posted to? & would i move there straight away from RMC or would i have to wait until his completed IET's? ... I know the ones that graduate from RMC their wives go off to the posting straight away, but unsure if that's how it works when you got OR's.

Thanks for any advice original.gif

Edited by heidistar, 27 August 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#9 shaggybanks

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Im not sure how it works if youre living on base where RMC is Heidi. In the general world the family moves once the soldier has passed his IET course as they usually dont find out where their posting locality would be until they finish. I also know if the IET course is for a long period of time ie more than 6 mths then you can go to the IET location like I did when G did  his course to be a Loadie. I imagine housing at RMC would be scarce so they may need it for incoming officers....who knows with the Army lol.

What a shame things arent going to plan after all you went through for him to get in. As i have learnt though its sometimes better to realise early that things arent working so you can set up better options. Hope it all goes well and works out for you

#10 heidistar

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hubby talked to 2IC & Warrant Officer this afternoon & after that his talking much more positive. They are talking about sending him back out to BB on restrictions, meaning he may be able to still pass. If he can pass 2nd class there is no reason he should give up & look at other ranks. So fingers crossed ladies original.gif

#11 kaishra

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

dcfox3 that's fantastic news. I would have told them to shove it if they wanted to send DH anywhere when I was pregnant, glad it all worked out.

Well I've been slack but we're here in Tindal, got a 3bedroom house on base, you know one of the ones that didn't exist!!! Tiles throughout original.gif and a shady backyard original.gif with the perfect spot in the front yard for a very big vegie patch biggrin.gif.
The solar has been replaced so we have hot water and nearly all of the little issues have been fixed though one of the locks only works when it wants to so that'll need to be fixed.  Still waiting to get a satellite installed, not impressed that that's at our cost when they know darn well what the reception is like here, it should be included.  Other than that all is good.  Got a new puppy on the weekend, yay toilet training again!!!
Remind me again why noone wants to come here? $15 a family to go to the movies on base! A nice Saturday market in town on Saturdays and enough shops to pretty much keep me happy, though we are coming to Darwin for a night next weekend but so far so good

#12 shaggybanks

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Not sure if its Brumbys or Bakers Delight but which ever it is in the woolies complex in the main street does a very yummy vegemite scroll too.

#13 kaishra

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

brumbies biggrin.gif great mini french stick too biggrin.gif

#14 anna-wa

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Heyho ladies. Popping in to say hi and using my new Acer Iconia A500 tablet (the ipad2 rival).  Hubby bought it for my bday which I graciously shared with Fathers Day this year. We both had a good day.

Treadmill is wonderful and I am still using it daily and sometimes I have a no treadmill day.
Hubby said he has to do his fitness test in November. 5ks in 44 mins either walking or jogging. I tried it and I can only do 4.5k in 44 mins of power walking. No way could I jog, I can only just do 60 secs of jogging lol.

Dh is away for a week. During his first week at sea he spent 2 days in bed with high temp and congestion along with coughing. Home during the weekend then sea for another week and this time he blacks out and vomits. Heat stroke he thinks as he had a killer migraine too.  Anyways last week instead of going to sea again he had sick days due to middle ear viral infection called Labrynthitis. Anti-inflammatories were his meds. Back o sea this week then ship needs to be tarted up for a few months so DH will be home. I do keep telling DH that the Navy will kick him out for being broken. Lol

What else, oh mum is visiting for a few days at the end of this month. Staying at a B&B within walking distance. This is of course on her way back from her holiday in Africa. I am looking forward to seeing her and Eric again and she will be shocked at how much the kids have grown. Xmas time the inlaws are staying with us for 10 days. Going to hire a Kluger so we can go places in the one car. Looking forward to that.

hope everyone here is well. I thought I would have heaps to read.

#15 kaishra

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hey Anna original.gif Salt water activated illness Shan said lol

#16 Surprise#4

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Good Morning girls,

I've been MIA as usual - busy as always.

Kaishra - Good to see you don't mind Tindal.  One of my best buddies is getting posted there next year and has just locked in a place off base. My current boss posted out of there at the end of last year, and said she wouldn't mind going back. When my friend is there next year I am going to be heading down there as we want to do heaps of outdoor stuff - like the hike from Nitmiluk to Edith Falls. Have you been out to Nitmiluk yet? Its gorgeous.  I think most people like me only drive through Katherine and its a bit of a shock to the system.  I think living there as long as I could get the kids into a good school, get a good job for myself then it would be fine - as we tend to spend most of our time together as a family etc.  

Anna - For my fitness test I have to either walk 5km in 41 mins, or run 2.4km in 14 mins. I think your hubby should be the same and won't be able to jog the 5km  - its a power walk?  In some ways the walk is actually harder than the run as it is  fast pace. I usually get through it in about 38 mins - its just about getting a really fast speed up, and having someone with you to pace!

Good to hear your DH has been back on a ship.  

Well busy up here as usual.  I have been losing weight and gyming it in a bid to be super fit for the Overland track which is in less than 5 weeks now!  We are going to stay with my sister in HObart before and after the hike which will be nice.  We are heading down there for Christmas too (for 3 weeks) which I can't wait.  We are camping at Wineglass Bay and Port Arthur which should be gorgeous.  I am starting a 8 week challenge at the gym on the 3rd of OCtober - where they weigh you in at the start, and end and its weekly PT.  I think I should be right as in the middle is the overland track and walking 100km or so in 6 days will definitely help me to lose a bit of weight lol

My boss is currently in Thailand for a holiday so she is scoping the place out for me.  We are thinking of going to Singapore / Thailand / Malaysia next June / July for 2-3 weeks for the school holidays.  We have to make the most of RLLTs up here.  THen we are thinking next Christmas (end of next year) of going to Mum and Dads and then the kids staying there for 2 weeks while DH and I head over to New Zealand to do the Milford Track and Heaphy Track - which should be gorgeous.  

Heidi - HOw is your hubby going now??  How stressful for you. I was going to say the same as Deb I think. If he goes OR and his IETs is over 6 months then you can go along, but if its under 6 months then he will go on his own. NOt sure what would happen with your housing there though.

Anyhow better go.  We have lots of jobs to do today... got to get some groceries and do some little errands, then back home to do a fair bit of baking.  

original.gif

#17 kaishra

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi Rach, yep we love it here.  We've been out to Nitmiluk but haven't done any walks we just went to see where it was, scope out all the places around.  I think that more people would really like Katherine if they gave it a chance.  The school that the boys goes to seems to be good though DS1's teacher i teaching victorian cursive and tbh in grade 1 I think they should be concentrating on getting the spelling right and the size down not one making it look pretty.  Why can't they just stick to one type? He's taken to it quite easily but goes a bit overboard on the swirls.  I'd say there's plenty of work here if you want it.
And Darwin isn't that far away, we went last weekend, we're going again on Sunday then we're booked in for 2 nights in November.

We went to (our first) ball on Friday night, we had a great time AND won a door prize biggrin.gif $500 voucher for Intercontinental/Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza Australia/NZ/Fiji biggrin.gif Anyone know any of those that cater for 2 adults and 5 kids? cause so far I've found nothing sad.gif I would really like to use it but I think it's going to end up being sold sad.gif

Next weekend we're getting a cockatoo biggrin.gif (hence the 1 day Darwin trip) so I'm looking for a cage online but the delivery costs are disgusting, pretty much take the cost of freight to Darwin and double it! It's only 300ish extra kms not 3000! grrrr

Gotta go, gotta clean a cage
ttys

#18 kaishra

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Anyone got any tips on stopping the kids from climbing these dumb half size fences? Now even the baby can climb them and apparently they've been throwing rocks into the neighbours yard! I am trying to hard not to smack, not the yell but their behaviour since we've gotten here has gotten worse. I found them at the park yesterday, they just jumped the fence and went. I'm tearing out my hair!

#19 heidistar

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hi Girl's

Just a UPDATE on our situation....

DH has decided to Apply for 'Other Ranks' in the Army. He is hoping to get into Military Police or 2nd choice would be Medical Operator. Then after his served 3yrs he can apply to become a PTI, which would be perfect for him, as his job before was a Gym instructor/personal trainer original.gif

Not sure how long all the application & stuff will take, so will be here in canberra for a while yet & not sure where we'll end up moving to, but hoping for Sydney.

Lauren: Bugger about the fences being so low, not sure what you could do apart from having to be outside with them or punishment of not being allowed outside if they continue to leave the yard..... Apart from that glad to hear your enjoying it there original.gif

Edited by heidistar, 18 September 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#20 kaishra

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yeah I think I'll have to be outside too but then I'll never get this house unpacked

#21 mummsymum

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

not sure if anyone in here remembers me, it has been such a long time since i posted in here

just wondering if anyone has had to fill out the DWSN forms? any tips? with 3 special needs kids it all seems a bit daunting!!

edited to add the I was "mummylexie"

Edited by mummsymum, 19 September 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#22 heidistar

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi Ladies,

I need some help.....

My Hubby wasn't doing so well here at RMC & decided to apply to transfer to other ranks. The application has been denied & the decision handed down has been that he should resign/be discharged sad.gif  

Now i was under the impression that we were entitled to a removal, but Hubby informed me today (grrr to him not telling me sooner), that the Drilly reckons that we're not entitled to one  unsure.gif I looked up the Pacman & it does say that you are entitled if your discharging, but then further down it says that if it is at your own request that you are not if you haven't served your time. I guess as they are making him Resign that will be classed as 'At his own request'. |

My question is, does it or can it work differently when your at RMC? If so how do we go about making sure we get a removal? Because quiet frankly without one, i don't think we're going to be able to afford to move unsure.gif

Edited by heidistar, 25 September 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#23 kaishra

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Heidi get hubby to keep doing what he's doing till he fails then they'll discharge him, do not let him ask to get out, make them do it if they want him out so bad.

#24 Surprise#4

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

sad.gif Heidi I would also say don't resign!!! If they want him to get out then let them make the decision original.gif I'm really sorry to hear this is happening

#25 mummsymum

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

Heidi- sorry to hear all this sad.gif but I agree with the others, don't resign make them do it!! I know it can be painful but it is better if they do it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.