Feeding Aurora

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

In honour of World Breast Awareness Feeding week, Martina tells of how she persisted with express feeding her daughter Aurora, born 9 weeks early with a genetic condition called Noonan Syndrome. Aurora passed away shortly after her first birthday, but her mothers persistence meant she experienced the benefits of breast milk through her precious 12 months of life.

You can read Martina's story here:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...0802-1ia2r.html

Please feel free to leave comments.

#2 Guest_Lois Griffin_*

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your daughter, Martina.

You should feel so very proud of yourself as you overcame some massive hurdles in your breastfeeding relationship by the sounds of it.

The story is vey appropriate given it's World Breastfeeding Awareness Week. I encourage anyone who is having breastfeeding issues to call the ABA or attend their local meeting for advice and support.

#3 charlie23

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

Martina

Thank you for sharing your breastfeeding journey with Aurora, she is missed by so many hheart.gif

Kel

Edited by charlie23, 03 August 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#4 ~Sorceress~

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

What you've achieved is just amazing, Martina original.gif . How lucky Aurora is to have you as mum wub.gif .

#5 Blondiebear

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Martina, what an incredibly inspiring story, thank you so much for sharing it with us. You should be immensely proud of what you did for your beautiful daughter throughout her too short life. I am so sorry for your loss.

#6 ~Jot~

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

Wonderful article Martina, and that photo is just precious. hheart.gif

#7 Jendo

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Thank you for sharing your story Martina. I am very sorry for your loss. However I think that you are an amazing mother and though your daughter left you far to soon, I am sure she felt truly loved and cherished while here.
What an inspirational story, this does indeed show the power of a mothers love.

#8 blissfulqueenb

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hello Beautiful Aurora. How nice to see you again.

Missing you always

Auntie Carla
xx

#9 Therese

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Martina thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous girl with us.  You gave her an amazing gift.

#10 TeachmeMum

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Martina, thankyou for sharing your heartfelt and loving story and your beautiful daughter with us. You showed great determination and strength, even when it seemed that everyone else was adamant Aurora should be on formula. You provided her with everything she possibly needed and more. Congratulations on your successful breastfeeding relationship with Aurora.

I see your signature occasionally and wonder how you are going. I hope that you are well.

#11 Guest_Bubbalicious9_*

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Edited by Bubbalicious9, 29 October 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#12 MarlaMoo

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for sharing your beautiful breastfeeding story Martina.  You are such a strong and brave woman, and very rarely let on to any of us just how hard it was for you and everything that you went through.  Aurora is such a lucky girl to have such a wonderful mumma who did everything she possibly could for her.  She is very much missed  hheart.gif xxx

#13 Kokosh

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Dear Martina,
Thank you for sharing your story.
I'm so very, very sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl.
You should be so very proud of everything you gave your little daughter and I’m sure Aurora knew how much she was cherished and loved.
I understand how hard it can be to persist with breastfeeding when people around you are telling you to give up and use formula. The first 6 months of my daughter and my breastfeeding relationship was difficult with multiple episodes of mastitis, torn nipples, bleeding, nipple blisters, vasospasms and low milk supply. The first 4 months of breastfeeding were accompanied by my tears of pain. In reading your story though, it puts in all in perspective and I realise how fortunate I am to be able to breastfeed her now.
Your courage and determination is amazing and an inspiration for all us mothers out there.
Your gift to Aurora is immeasurable.

xxx

#14 Lawns85

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Martina thank you for sharing your story, I am so very sorry for your loss. You are an inspiration to us all.

#15 LittleRB

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl.

I'm in absolute awe over the perseverance and determination you showed during a time of such incredible adversity.

I'm sure Martina was so glad to have such an amazing Mummy who clearly loves her, and I pray that she is at peace.

#16 N&C'smum

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

My heart goes out to you, Martina!

Your courage in sharing your story for the benefit of other mothers and babies is inspiring xxx

#17 RedsGirl

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Martina, thank you for sharing this very special part of the story of you and Aurora.

I am sure your beautiful girl appreciated every single drop! What a wonderful Mummy you are. I have also had my share of issues getting established both times, but this puts it all into perspective.

#18 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

What a beautiful story and what a wonderful mother you have been to Aurora.  I'm sure that breastfeeding would have been a great comfort to you, as well as being the best thing for Aurora.

You should be so very proud of everything you gave your little daughter and I’m sure Aurora knew how much she was cherished and loved.

I agree. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your little girl.

#19 jactela

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

XXXXX

#20 RachH

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Martina, I am so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking. I take my hat off to you though for what you did for your beautiful daughter. Amazing story. Take Care and thank you for sharing (also thanks to Nic for writing the story)

#21 whydoibother

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Dear Martina,
Your strength and mothers love made Aurora's time here on earth so special.  I am sorry she had to leave so soon xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.