January 07 Parents # 542

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
376 replies to this topic

#26 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Funny that you are doing that, Moa, as I am reading the Millenium trilogy, so I'm getting a (very vague) sense of the Swedish way of life!

Megan, I had 18 watchers as of this morning, but I ended the listing early as we have postponed the renovations for 6 months due to the economic climate.  We figured we'd be much better off being conservative than ending up scrounging to feed the children beans in a beautiful new kitchen!!!

On a better note, I have been signed off by the orthopaedic surgeon.  I still get a bit achey but I think it's because I am still guarding it.  The physio signed me off too, but suggested a remedial massage every now and then.  Given that the day after my last massage I hung the washing out pain-free for the first time in probably a year (or more), I will definitely be doing that.

Sel, bugger about your tooth.  Nurofen Plus and wine are a great anaesthetic combination, though wink.gif

#27 mamaknits

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

We're wathing recorded episodes of Italian Food Safari and they're making bread. I don't knwo why watching the bread come out of the oven is making me cry :S

We're doing okay here. Busy, but good. I have been experimenting with making my own icecream and the boys are very happy with it though my icecream is a bit icy. I don't have an icecream maker. I am waiting for the Cuisinart one to go on special.

Alex has his moments being a little sh*t. However, those moments aside, he's been a joy to be around. Preschool has also reported an improvement in his behaviour. He has learned to sit still during group time and class time. His ability to control his emotions and not let them control him is improving. I have to remind myself that he is only 4.5 yrs old. He has meltdowns.. maybe one or two a month but aside fromt hat he is able to rationalise and execute a good degree of control. The effort tires him out, though, as he comes home from pre-school much more tired than he used to. However, he says that he loves preschool and the other kids are much nicer to him when he is nice to them - no surprises tehre. Little sweetheart is also becoming me aware and mindful of others' feelings. Ah, all work in progress.

Have you guys seen this? http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430
Kinda nails it in the head for me.

#28 Mulan

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

Oh sam I'm sorry reading about your grandmother. How are you coping?

DD has her moments but she's improving slowly rather than getting worse. I hope I'm not speaking too soon and she will revert again though. She has been commonly telling me she hates me or that I'm ugly when she is angry lately but fewer tantrums and more readily doing what she is asked. Of course she has moments too but I find with her it's so much easier than with her brothers. She's struggling with not winning games etc at the moment, but I expect that at her age too. I just have to remind the boys that she is learning to be a good loser and a good winner because they don't like playing games with her at the moment because she's a "sore loser and rubs it in when she wins.

Sel good luck with the root canal. Were you able to book in for it soon?

Sounds very wise to delay on the reno Janet. Pretty scary economically right now. We have stress to the max at the moment, not looking forward to beans but thinking we mig have them at least once a week just as cost savings just in case.

I'm glad you have been getting some pain free time Janet. I'm back to semi regular remedial massage again. It's helping me with my lungs at the moment. I've booked in with a massage school at a much cheaper price so I'm hoping that will go ok.

Silly me had a coffee at lunchtime and I'm struggling feeling so wide awake when I really want to sleep. So betterr turn the iPad off and see how I go. Or pop back in an hour

Edited by Mulan, 09 August 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#29 cuddlymumof4

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Bon: Thanks for the very important reminder. Hope your friend is doing ok.

Megan: Hope you can find a solution soon with Carys, sounds like you are trying everything you can. Love the new sig too, she is such a cutie.

Sel: Ouch, hope you can get the tooth problem sorted soon.

Naz: It is a long time to be out of action but hopefully i will be feeling much better after that & can have my life back. That is great news all is looking good with pregnancy.

Janet: Yay, lets hope things stay great for you with the shoulder.

Update on Alan's Dad: He is doing great, Dr's are really happy with how the surgery went. They are all very impressed with him being up & walking & even sitting up for longer periods pain free. YAY  ddance.gif  tthumbs.gif

Anna

#30 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

Great news Anna!

Janet that's prudent.

Sel - ouch!

Celia watching bread come out of the oven would make me drool.

Moa that sounds like a great adventure  biggrin.gif

Naz - we were hoping to avoid a dummy as it was problematic with Caelan but took one on the UK trip as a back up anyway. We ended up trying it & it's a fail. She took it at first but soon seemed to cotton on & decided "no, you're not going to fob me off that easily" & won't take it at all now laugh.gif

Mel - yes we're thinking solids is the next thing to try though it made zero difference with Caelan.

They are saying 4 months again if no family allergies & there's signs of readiness. She's certainly interested in what we're eating so we may start this month. She's 5 months tomorrow.

#31 lissiloo

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hi everyone

Hope it's all good where you are today. Jack is watching TV (yay!) and bringing me books to read (not so yay  rolleyes.gif ) and I'm getting ready to go and do a spot of grocery shopping and other errands. Ella's school starts 2 weeks of daily swimming lessons on Monday so I need to pick up a new towel -- found some nice beachy towels in bright colours for $10 but they didn't have pink at the shop I went to yesterday so I will pop into the other one (which is actually closer to home) to get it. I just need to find something to use as a swimming bag and get a new pair of goggles and then she's set. Although if they have nice bathers in her size at Target I might get her a spare pair -- we go through them so fast with weekly swimming lessons!

Had a sh*tty night last night. I think between all of the kids, they woke me every hour all night and then Jack topped it off by coming into bed with us at 5:30 and wriggling/kicking/scratching/tickling for an hour until the alarm went off and I gave him to DH to get up with. Sigh. At least I don't have much I have to do today, so I can snooze on the couch this afternoon if necessary.

It's reassuring to know the rest of you are dealing with the f-n fours too. I thought Poppy had got over it but she's reverted back to the kind of meltdowns we were dealing with 18 months ago. Sigh. I am back to managing her to avoid them (which is not always the best way to deal with it). I have a feeling she will settle down once she is at school next year and being thoroughly challenged by everything.

Alinta -- if you bundle insurance policies you get a better price -- ie if you put your house insurance with AAMI too. We use them for car and house and so far very happy. That reminds me I need to look into changing our health plan seeing as I am not having any more babies.

Sel -- I feel your pain. Another thing to add to my list -- a dentist appointment as I have a twingy tooth (thanks for reminding me).

Megan -- I would also try solids. If she isn't interested you can always try again a few weeks. And def try a rocker or swing. Jack did much of his sleeping in the swing up until he was about 6 months old, it was a life saver.

Meant to write more but run out of time. Be back later.

Cheers
Lissiloo

#32 thebell

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Mulan- First session is this Friday. I have no idea what I am doing with my kids though. Brad is working.

Megan- 5 months. Wow! That has flown!

Anna- That's fantastic. Well done, Alan's Dad. laughing2.gif

Celia- That is brilliant.

Mel- Where is the best place to look for flights to the US?

Janet- Make sure you book in for regular massages then, won't you. Glad you are doing better.

Alinta- Who are the workshops with?

Moa- That sounds brilliant. Not so much the dunny and nearly not getting picked up part, but the trip sounds great!!

Naz- Glad to hear all is going well. How far along are you?

So nurofen plus is working, thank God. It's really horrible pain. In my jaw, it's weird. Tounge1.gif

#33 azalia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Good morning ladies.

Megan - I think the dummy definatly helps for us, I wouldnt not have one, and would try every type of dummy on the market till I found one that they took! I just find it far easier to settle them with a dummy. Ill be doing solids fairly early this time,  in the hope that it pushes Indi out between feeds because Ill be gone 10 hours for weddings soon. I hope that solids helps Carys, please vent in here, I can imagine its super frustrating, especially knowing what you went through with C.

Sel - Workshops are with Rocco Anchora and Nick Ghinois. They are the best in the business for wedding photography and have been around for 20+ years. There style isnt similar to mine, but i love their business structure.

Liss - sounds like a fun night! Hope tonight is better!!

Celia - yum! I want that too. Waiting for it to go on special as well.

Janet - glad you have been signed off and are feeling that its better. Remedial massage sounds great.

I went to chiro the other day, only other time I have been was to try to turn Indiana. My back is stuffed, and I am bending over and carrying large weights all the time. When Im leaning over trying to do Mason up in the car and I then stand up my back is so stiff I can barely straighten. She sent me for Xrays as she said my back is all out and twisted. I hope that it helps, she seemed very good.

Have just placed an add on Find me a Babysitter, so hoping I get some good replies, and we find someone who suits our needs.

#34 Onemorebub

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Sel I feel your pain almost literally ( I have an appointment Monday and fear the root canal)

Been walking the dog and kids to the park this morning, picking up the mail/newspaper, meat for dinner, washed the car and bought tickets to the school play now home for lunch and rest time, ready for a play after school with the neighbours. We moved in across the road from a girl I used to work with she has kids similar ages so should be good! best do all the folding/ ironing though groan!

Megan I remember that as the hardest age and min used to settle into a good day/sleep routine by about 7 month's good luck!

#35 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Funnily enough I tried the dummy again earlier out of sheer desperation. Initially she rejected it again a couple of times, had a big wailing session, I put it in again, more rejection & wailing. I shoved it in again & walked out to go to the toilet & she went to sleep. That lasted 25 mins so I resettled with the dummy & she's been asleep since. Ssshhhhh - don't wake the baby!  original.gif

#36 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I meant to say in my reply earlier, Megan - I love your new sig, but that face absolutely looks as though it doesn't need sleep!!!  She looks like she's taken a few uppers!!!  Glad the dummy has worked for now.

Liss, what a nightmare of a night.  I don't function the day after nights like that any more.  I can't believe I functioned for 6 months on hourly wake-ups when the boys were babies.  I was probably a danger to myself and others.

It's amazing what a difference a nice day makes.  Today is sunny (although it was cold this morning) and I am feeling positive.  Probably helped by the fact that technology did NOT get the better of me today, and I can now hook up my laptop to the TV and watch whatever shows I miss on iView/Catch-up/whatever they call their way of watching shows online after they've been on TV.  We did this with Marchlands a couple of weeks ago - missed the first week because we had a dinner guest, but got the boys to bed early enough the next week that we sat and watched the first episode on the laptop, so we could segue nicely into the second episode that night.  That's when I decided I needed to be able to connect it to the TV!

F-ing 4s - got another one here.  It's like Jekyll and Hyde.  It's mostly the whining that gets to me, though.  Tantrums are entertaining in small doses.  Whining constantly is just...homicide-inducing.

#37 Naz32

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Megan I hope the dummy keeps working for you so you can have some rest. My kids wouldn't have the silicon ones so I always have used the rubber type ones. Just do whatever works and we are all here to support you and listen. It's a tough time when younger tired.

Sel I'm coming up to 16 weeks on Friday. Crazy that it is going so quickly. I have to ring and book for my scan but it will be in 3 weeks or so time and yes we will most probably find out gender again. Will make it easier to cull all the things I'm now hoarding before we move.

We are going tonsee a house to hopefully rent on Friday. We have been holding out hoping a 5 bedded would come up as it is just easier with visitors since no one lives nearby. I was happy with 4 but Gav really needs an office that can be closed off to children and visitors as he isn't very tidy lol. So finally a house has come up in a nice area and so we are hoping it is childsafe enough as it has two levels and a pool and I'm hoping to stay there until we can afford to buy our own place so will have a new baby learning to walk and all there. Will be great to have our own stuff especially my bed. I really really miss my bed.

Bon you are sounded very content these days original.gif

Alinta you won't know yourself once you get some help. I hope you get some good replies. Don't disregard the younger ones though as you need lots of energy to chase 3 kids around and they are prob going to be the most flexible. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Janet that's a shame about your Reno but Prob very smart to see what happens. Imglad your shoulder is healing well. You did great considering the lifting temptations you had original.gif

I watched a movie today called just go with it with Adam sandler and Jennifer Anniston.  It was quite good. A nice non swearing non sex non violence movie you could watch with your mum or your nan original.gif I got a couple of good laughs out of it.

Well I'm off to bed now. I had Sarah up all bloody night last night.  They very kindly let her sleep for 2 hours at preschool yesterday so she decided she didn't really need any last night. and it was so cold getting up and down. Night all. Sweet dreams to all.

#38 azalia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Oh naz don't you love it when they do that! After about 10 times telling them it is now written in bold 'Mason cannot fall asleep!' his sleep is bad enough atm without a day sleep! Hope you have a better night tonight and I hope the house is fantastic!

Gareth is home tomorrow night!!! I'm so excited, he can't wait to see the kids, Indi was so little (7 weeks) when he went away.  

Goodnight!

#39 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

Morning all.

After feeling bleugh for the last few days, the reason reveals itself wink.gif  I hate AF with a passion.  I hate it even more when it is timed so badly that I will have it for 5 out of the 7 days of our Fiji trip.  And with my "issues" I cannot use tampons or a menstrual cup to allow swimming, so swimming is out.  Who frigging goes to Fiji for a week and doesn't swim.  Kill me now.

#40 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Well that's just sh*tty Janet. You'll have to claim full swimming priorities on the days ypu're able to partake. And yes Carys looks like she's buzzing laugh.gif Love your hockey sig too, great action shot of Grace.

Rest well Naz & good luck with the rental.

Alinta that's great that G's home soon  happy.gif

Well, sleep really bred sleep yesterday! The dummy sleep ended up being a broken total of 2 hours - woohoo! Then in the late afternoon she went down again dummy free from 5-7. Ideally both of those sleeps would have happened a little earlier in the day but I'll take whatever she'll do. Another sleep on me on the couch from 9-10.45 while watching a movie, couldn't move her as she kept waking when I tried. Had a feed at 11 then into her bed happily but then had a pooey nappy. When I put her back down she cracked it in a big way. I couldn't pacify her at all & she ended up having another feed & was fine after that. I'm thinking she really mustn't be getting all she needs from me now as that happens regularly. Slept with us overnight 12 till 7.15 with  feeds at 3 and 6. So much more sleep for her than she's had of late which is great. Lets hope for more of that. Sorry about the blow by blow, just thinking out loud.

#41 azalia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Janet - when is fiji?  Wouldnt take the pill to move your cycle aroumd for a month?

Megan - thats great!

#42 mamaknits

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Is she having a growth spurt, Megan? Maybe that's why she's hungry all the time and won't sleep?

#43 Onemorebub

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

I second the pill idea!! no way I would be so upset!

Megan ouch! not much more I can add sending sleep vibes your way.

Naz arent you renting at the moment? bugger having to move again but sounds great!!

This morning had a friend over and babysat for an hour while she got some stuff done, nice having kids for the kids to play with. A little tired today. Oh cute story the other day J said B was getting into his bed at night and he didnt mind so this morning while checking on them fair enough 2 in the single bed  - sound. Cute.

#44 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Fiji is in 3.5 weeks.  My cycles are between 23 and 26 days.  I am seriously considering the pill.  I'll see what J says tonight.

Of course, it would be a total PITA to get to the dr now, since my car decided to try dying this morning.  It is now at the auto-electrician.  Waiting to see how much of the money we were meant to spend on the renos will be spent on the car instead :whacko:  Still, the walk home from the auto-electrician was fun - I stopped at the coffee shop to grab a latte, mentioned I'd have a large as my day had been crap, and she gave me two free pastries, so the boys and I stopped on the path above the train station, and ate pastries while we train-spotted!  We were even lucky enough to see a diesel goods train go through!

Sel, how's your tooth?  Was thinking of you as I dosed myself with nurofen plus this morning!

#45 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

That's a win Janet! I think it will be worth an inconvenient trip to the Dr - do it! Think swim up bar & cocktails wink.gif

Just having a well earned cup of tea, Carys is having another good sleeping day ddance.gif so I've just vacuumed and - wait for it - MOPPED!!

#46 Onemorebub

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

Yay !! Megan can you do mine?

#47 cuddlymumof4

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

Naz: Good luck with the rental place.

Alinta: Yay for G being home tonight, enjoy your family time.

Janet: Love the new sig. That is a bummer about the holiday. But i agree with the other's, make that trip to the Dr. original.gif

Megan: Hope C continues with a better sleep pattern for you.

Us: We are back to the Dr here today, Tyson is now complaining of an ear ache sad.gif. Am so over this flu season.

Everything is so dry around here at the moment & the fires have started already sad.gif. Thankfully they have been able to get them undercontrol without any houses being damaged so far.

A week today and we are off to Bris, so am trying to get the house sorted & nice & clean. Have to go down early to do pre op appointments & tests.

We are also going to be attending my neices first birthday. Would love any ideas on what to get her? She is also my god-daughter so would like to get her something a little special. She has so many clothes & toys.

Anna

Edited by cuddlymumof4, 12 August 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#48 mokeydoke

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hello all!!!! Home again!
As soon as I walked through the door I thought 'wow, this place has so much space and potential!'and now not even 2 days later am I thinking this place is a dump laughing2.gif Compared to the caravan, and both places we stay in Naz, this place is pretty uncluttered and spacious but geez the kids just seem to make more mess with more space.
Love your new sig Megan, she looks so alert and not at all sleepy laughing2.gif I tried every dummy out for Curtis, and he still wouldn't take the bloody thing. I am scarred over that whole experience - prior to him, I believed if a baby wouldn't take a dummy the parents just weren't trying hard enough wink.gif

Janet - go and get the pill now!! How freaking annoying would that be! Other than that I would be testing homemade waterproof pads to wear while swimming - hey, you're only little, what about toddler swim pants? laughing2.gif laughing2.gif I love your sig too, I would love to be a hockey mum but I don't think it exists here.

Alinta - I was only thinking the other day that I would love to get a new family photo done, if you have time when you are in Melbourne could you fit us in just for a family shot? Like a mini mini session, if that can exist in your portfolio? I know I should get more photos taken of the kids as well...I dunno, let me know what/if/when you can fit us in.

We bought some new pets yesterday and the constant want to pat them is driving me insane. They are pretty quiet birds, and have been let out twice so far (and we got them not even 24 hours ago!) and have been easy to catch (they hop on your finger!). We are looking around for a puppy, but I don't know what sort I want - just a small to medium sized mutt would do but it seems around here everything is big and scary looking farm hunting dog types. Oh, that and the designer dog breeder nearby. I can't believe the varieties of mutts they are creating and asking the big $ for  huh.gif Spanadors, Groodles, Spoodles etc etc

Edited because the birds are quiet, not quite *shudder*

Edited by manlou4, 12 August 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#49 mamaknits

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Mandy, what abt a rescue dog?
The ones at the shelter would normally be mutts and generally friendly I think.

#50 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (mamaknits @ 11/08/2011, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is she having a growth spurt, Megan? Maybe that's why she's hungry all the time and won't sleep?

Quite likely Celia. We speculated about that last night ourselves. Caelan certainly is, I can't get enough food into him atm which is quite unlike him. He's also grown a cm in the last 3 weeks.

Back to dodgy non sleeping again, will keep persisting though.

Welcome home Mandy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.