Anyone's son had nappy rash on their scrotum?
New question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Hi All,

My son had two red little spots on his scrotum a few days ago, I noticed them and just thought to keep an eye on them. Yesterday morning his whole scrotum was bright red and painful so I took him to the doctors.

The doctor thought it was nappy rash as he has had diarrohea for the last 3days and said to put daktozin on it and if that didn't help gave me a prescription for some anitbiotics to get for tomorrow (sunday), then to see him on Monday if it's worse. The antibiotics are incase its a skin infection.

Well it is so much worse today, the red raised area is now under his scrotum and in his fat folds to the sides and is extremely painful to touch and can't sit or lie on his belly cause of the pain, he just lies on his back with his legs spread in the air.

Has anyone's son had a nappy rash which looks like raised red skin on the scrotum and spread down? If it's still there we will be at the doctor on Monday (they are closed tomorrow) but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this.

Thanks

Edited by mummy.to.one, 14 August 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#2 Cat12

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

I find the skin flares up very quickly. Balls or anywhere urine or poo touches. Regular changes and lashings of nappy cream help. It doesn't take much to make the skin bleed. But I think that's normal for nappy rash.

#3 Indatree

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Could it be dermatitis? My son had similar symptoms when he was little, the GP prescribed Advantin ointment which cleared it up in a few days. The next time it happened I was able to get onto it straight away. Hope you get to the bottom of it  original.gif , no pun intended.

#4 Chazonator

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

How old is your little boy? if he is eating olids it could be something acidic that sets off the rash which you might have to avoid until it settles down. I know if my two boys eat too much tomato based products or acidic fruit there bum get really red and sore. I have also found Hydrozole cream to help as well a good friend had suggested this to us when my eldest had a very red scrotum to the point it was weeping. he was in tears and I was nearly in tears myself because he was in so much pain.
The hydrozole helped but only after a few applications and a great deal of nappy free time. also you could try giving him a bath in warm water and bicarb soda I found this idea on a website a few months back he enjoyed the bath and the bicarb seemed to dry it out a little. just dont apply it to his skin just sprinkle it in the water.

#5 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks he is almost 11months Chazonator, nothing really different in his diet.

Sorry the doctor actually told us to use Hydrozole, which I used today but it has made it worse IMO, so I really don't want to keep using it.

We gave him nappy free time tonight, lucky we put some towels underneath him as the diarrhea hit during that and ended up across the floor!!

It is so painful, I hate him being in so much pain. He won't even straighten his legs it hurts so much.
Thanks for all the suggestions will try them, I just wasn't sure it was nappy rash starting up there and not his bum.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

I reckon that sounds like thrush. The Daktozin will help, but what will work better is Hydrozole (antifungal and hyrdocortisone) - use this for a couple of days, then revert back to daktozin alone.

It's horrible isn't it, poor wee lad, I remember a couple of mine going through similar. Once it is healed and you've used the anti-thrush cream for the recommended time, I would really suggest you slather his scrotum in a zinc cream or petroleum jelly, as you'll probably fine that it will be prone to flaring up for a while as the skin will be very sensitive.

ETA - just saw that you have used Hydrozole today - it often will seem worse initially - persist with it for 24 hours and see how it goes.

Edited by Jemstar, 13 August 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#7 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi another question sorry if anyone reads. How long should diarrhea normally last?

We are up to day 4 now with diarrhea every 15mins to 1/2hr, and now they are green mucus. Is it normal to last this long and look like that?

Also he isn't weeing as much, his nappy this morning from overnight was pretty much empty and he has been naked all morning trying to air out his bottom and he hasn't wee'd at all.

Thanks sorry haven't really had any sickness before except for colds. He is still fairly happy.

#8 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thanks MrsW87, we are definately experiencing the squirting, we have already gone through two loads of washing just towels from under him, as we are leaving him naked.

He is BF morning and night but formula for lunch. I've decided to give the hyrozole another go, not convinced on using the antibiotics as a side effect of them is diarrhea.

Thanks heaps for your help.

BTW I am a MrsW aswell (if that's your actual initials original.gif)

#9 mibi

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hydrozole is an anti-inflammatory, so it should help regardless of the issue, but you still need to use a zinc over the hydrozole as well. Put the hydrozole on, let it absorb into the skin and then put a zinc cream over the top. The zinc cream will protect the skin from further irritation by the diarrohea.

Also, don't use commercial wipes - they will irritate the skin even more. Use a face washer - either dampen it with warm water or put a heap of sorbolene cream on the face washer and wipe with the sorbolene -best if it is really sore.

Just saw your other q - The diarrohea can last for ages, but it sounds like he might be dehydrated, so I would try getting him to a medical centre, or ring your hospital and see what they think.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.