10 year old with pimples
Whats the best way to treat it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle&Girls

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

My DD is 10 and quite obviously going through puberty (poor baby, so young!)
Shes now got a break out of pimples on her forehead.
She naturally has oily hair, so ive had the chat to her about washing her hair with shampoo twice and once with conditioner (her fringe is tied back) but what can i buy her to help treat the pimples. They are getting worse by the day.
I never really had a pimple problem (the occassional 1 might pop up when its that time of month)  so this is new to me.
(something that is easy for a 10 year old to use please)

#2 STB4

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Good old clean and clear face wash or wipes as well as an oil free moisturiser. Tea tree oil products are also fantastic (maybe try the body shop). If she's starting this early you may find she develops acne and needs to see a GP or dermatologist about something stronger.

Good luck.

#3 Michelle&Girls

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yeah thats what im thinking too...Im hoping once we get the oil in the hair sorted, the pimples will clear. (a mum can only hope).

#4 Guest_mummytomany_*

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'll be watching this thread for answers myself Michelle&Girls, only my DD is 9 and has been getting pimples for the last year sad.gif

#5 TRADITIONALMUM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hi Op, when she does use conditioner, tell her not to do all her hair just the ends, not the roots. You will notice that hair stays cleaner much longer and doesn't get as oily.

A gentle exfoliater would be a good start since she is only 10. I have very oily skin when i was young and the "gentle" exfoliater's never did anything so i switched to St Ives which was much more coarse and i still use it twice a week. But ur 10yr old is too young for that.

Also Clinique has wonder moisturiser's that are not oily! I know its expensive but it could last up to a year. Mine does because i only use a pea size amount. The moisturizer has like a gel feeling and dries almost instantly.

Hope this helps.

#6 Georgie Boy

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

My DS is ten and has started getting pimples as well.I bought him the oxywash which is a special formula recommended for boys/men not sure what it is like for girls.In relation to hair I have noticed his hair getting oily currently he only uses Johnson & Johnson kids formula.I was looking for more specific shampoos for men.I was looking in woolworths and only found a sunsilk one  but thought their must be more  available on the market.
Have you changed your daughters shampoo to one that caters for more oily hair as opposed to a kids formula
Louise

#7 Bigmum

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

when we moved here to the tropics I broke out in masses like I was a teen again. I found that teatree wipes from our chemist helped. I read up natural ways to remove them, and tea tree oil came up.

the wipes stung, so I can only imagine pure tea tree would kill like nothing- so I suggest that you dilute any tea tree you use.

#8 missymuffet

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

For her face id strongly recommend Moogoo - oil cleansing method followed by acne cleansing cream. As for her hair i agree only conditioning the ends. Maybe also get her some of that 'dry shampoo' for days when its looking dirty but she doesnt have time to wash it.

#9 NannyPlumPudding

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

I got my pimples when I was 11 sad.gif horrid things at such a young age.

I got some witch hazel wipes and a gentle cleanser (I think there is a young range? I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but It is very gentle and not to expensive. Not clearasil) I would wash, wipe and use a gentle mousteriser at night. Not twice a day because then my skin got irritated.

Also pinning my fringe back so it wasn't in my face, changing shampoo to combat oil and only conditioning the roots.

Hope that helps!

#10 ~ky~

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

I've just had a chat with my 10yo DD about her increasing crop of little pimples!

She has them mainly on her hairline, forghead and betweeen her brows with the occasional one on her nose.

I know that she has got slack recently with her cleansing routine which was so easy - it just consisted of using a clearasil wipe on her face before she went to bed each night. It seemed to be enough when she was keeping up with it to keep her face relatively clear ...

I remember having pimples in the same areas at around the same age and never really got bad breakouts as I progressed through puberty. It's not necessarily a sign of acne coming ...

#11 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

My 10 year old DD was getting a few pimples recently so I purchased her a pack of those cleansing wipes. I can't recall the brand but they were a cheaper brand in a green packet.

Cleaned her skin up quickly. They are really gentle.

#12 MarchyMama

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

With regard to face wash - get one of the self-foaming pump packs so that it's easier, and the portions are controlled - one pump per day would be enough to wash a 10-year-old face.

If she's got naturally oily hair then changing to a different shampoo might help - if she's still using a 'kids' one (Johnson and Johnson for example) then switching to a higher quality option specifically designed for oily hair might help, too.

Another vote for the cleansing wipes, too, if she showers in the morning then she can use face wipes in the evening or vice versa.

#13 Sassenach2

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

If she is really self conscious about her face, I would take her to a dermatologist as they can clean them up in no time and as it is hormonal, it is going to recur.

#14 Chalkie

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi, does she use sunscreen regularly? At school maybe?

My ds was getting terrible pimples and blackheads about this time last year.  I switched his sunscreen to Hamilton Face from the thicker Cancer Council one we were using and they cleared up really well.  The Hamilton one isn't waterproof, so in summer when he was swimming we would use a waterproof sunscreen and then use a mild cleanser (we have a big pump-pack of Cetaphil) to really clean it off.

Just a thought - some of the sunscreens are really thick and do plug the pores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.