Child friendly cafes and restaurants
Western Australia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hi all,

This is a list for places in Perth that are good to go out to for dinner or coffee - with children in tow. Either a child friendly environment, or with child entertainment.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE original.gif

I will list some that have been mentioned previously, but please, if you know of any other spots, please list them as
Venue:

Please keep it clear and concise so it is an easy reference for other members original.gif

{from Alucard}
Venue: Brooklands Tavern
Child Friendly Attributes: new indoor playground. $2 kids showbags.

{from aidens_mama}
Venue: 3 Bears Pub
Child Friendly Attributes: Playground. $2 kids showbags.

{from Skittie}
Venue: Eden Hill Bar & Bistro
Child Friendly Attributes: Childrens play area. Free video games.

Venue: Red Rock Noodle Bar & Restaurant
Locations: Mt Lawley, Claremont, Applecross, Vic Park
Child Friendly Attributes: Have an indoor kids entertainment section - games and such.

Cater4Kids - group move from pub to pub providing childrens entertainment, like face painting and crafts.
Pubs involved (check their website http://www.cater4kids.com.au/index.asp?laCode=ENGAU - for which nights) are;
The Saint George (aka The Saint) Innaloo
The Glengarry Tavern - Duncraig
The Left Bank - Fremantle
The Whistling Kite - Secret Harbour
The Oxford Hotel - Leederville
The Balmoral - East Victoria Park
The Iris Bar and Restaurant - Jandakot
Paddy Malones - Joondalup
Captain Stirling - nedlands
Bentley Hotel - Bentley
The Northwood Alehouse - Mirrabooka
The Gate bar and Bistro - Success
Byford Tavern - Byford

Edited by Cathode, 13 September 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#2 MuppetGirl

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

Venue: The Laughing Barrell
Child Friendly attributes: A large fenced outdoor playground near a patio with a few tables for adults to sit and enjoy their meal. Also they do a meal where the kids go and make their own pizza, they roll out the dough, put their toppings on and then the chef cooks it.

We went there with our kids and neices and nephews, age ranging from 2 - 9, and it was fantastic.

Edited to put the right restaurant name!

Edited by MahnaMahna, 09 September 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#3 MuppetGirl

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

Meant to say in my first post, great idea Cathode! I am always looking for great places to take the kids.

Venue: Siennas
Child Friendly attributes: An indoor kids playground.

Only issue with this one is the there are only a few tables near enough to keep a good eye on the kids and the restaurant itself is packed full of tables and quite cramped.

#4 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (MahnaMahna @ 09/09/2011, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meant to say in my first post, great idea Cathode! I am always looking for great places to take the kids.

I am in the same boat. I dread taking the 3 of mine anywhere as they become feral very quickly.
We went to a chinese restaurant on Wednesday, and I was prepared with a variety of colouring in books and pencils etc. We were there an hour and a half all up and 45 minutes of that was them running around being total PITA because they were more interested in the bloody fish tank than colouring in.

I hate not being able to have an uninterrupted meal.

In the Southwest, there is a plethora of cafes and restaurants that have either playgrounds or indoor play stuff or such to help keep children entertained.

#5 Guest_Pond. James Pond_*

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Venue:Eaton Tavern
Child Friendly Attributes:
Good food, lots of room, outdoor play equipment where you can eat at the restruant and watch your kids play.

The pub is in a different section so its not like your kids are going to playing while people smoke around then and get merry.

#6 MuppetGirl

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

I noticed that too the last time we went to Busselton, heaps of places with things for kids to do and play with but Perth hasn't seemed to catch on to how beneficial it is yet, though we are slowly seeing more.

Thought of another one:

Venue: The Grove Grill
Child friendly attributes: Outdoor, fenced playground with tables nearby for adults to see them clearly.
Con: The playground only has "mood" lighting so early dinners are best but you can still see sufficiently if you stay later.

Venue: Ninniku Jip
Child friendly attributes: Indoor playground.
Cons: Food isn't that great, decent but not fabulous.

Edited by MahnaMahna, 09 September 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#7 mum22boyz

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Venue: Portofino's Cafe
Child friendly attributes: Outdoor playground under sails
Open during the day until 4.30/5pm - Food AMAZING!

#8 MuppetGirl

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Can't keep myself out of here, I keep thinking of more!

Venue: Salt on the beach (cafe side) http://onthebeach.net.au/
Child friendly attributes: Outdoor playground plus free kids entertainment on fridays from 5.30 - 7.30pm from Feb-Oct and on thursdays, same time, from Nov-Jan.

#9 lonelygoatherd

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Venue: Gloria Jeans
Child Friendly Attributes: cubby house and kids play area with lots of toys, near tables. Also very spacious so lots of room for kids to run around.

Edited by lonelygoatherd, 09 September 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#10 Frenchie mama

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Salt on the beach is cool, love it! biggrin.gif

With Ninniku Jip I find the food is great and reasonably priced. Beware though cause the playground is only opened on certain nights, they had to restrict it because some parents were letting their darling kids go feral and didnt watch them at all mad.gif ...

Also The Twisted Vine isnt that the Laughing Barrell? I went past the other day.Has it changed owners again? Am sure one of the Ellenbrook/Swan Valley mums will enlighten me. I cant wait to check it out, it has awesome reviews, the playground is nice.

#11 blissfulqueenb

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

The Yallingup Maze
Caves Road, Yallingup

Awesome outdoor play area and deck, massive grassed area with free balls/kites etc.  Inside, there are all sorts of little puzzles on the tables for the kids to play with.

Staff very accommodating to make meals "kid friendly".  ie: they split a milkshake into two cups for us and diluted them with extra milk etc.  Gorgeous cafe style food.

Edited for shocking typos

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 09 September 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#12 MuppetGirl

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Frenchie mama @ 09/09/2011, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Salt on the beach is cool, love it! biggrin.gif

With Ninniku Jip I find the food is great and reasonably priced. Beware though cause the playground is only opened on certain nights, they had to restrict it because some parents were letting their darling kids go feral and didnt watch them at all mad.gif ...

Also The Twisted Vine isnt that the Laughing Barrell? I went past the other day.Has it changed owners again? Am sure one of the Ellenbrook/Swan Valley mums will enlighten me. I cant wait to check it out, it has awesome reviews, the playground is nice.

Thats disappointing about Ninniku Jip.

Salt is awesome isn't it, the playground is great, right on the beach for a nice walk and play afterwards and yummy food!

Sorry yes, I will go and amend my post, I keep calling it Twisted Vine but it is now called Laughing Barrell and set up as a family style restaurant. The playground is awesome and the food was fantastic. The kids absolutely loved making their own pizza too, such a great idea.

#13 WaywardAngelBec

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

Venue: Stringbark Tavern
Child Friendly Attributes: Large playground within the venue. $2 showbags. Kids eat free on Tuesdays.

#14 lisajane666

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

can't wait to here about more places.  I have been to the Eden Hill Tavern and the food was good and the play area was fenced off with a pool gate so the kiddies couldn't get out and they put the parents as close to the playground as possible

#15 lorywhol

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

Venue: Piccos Kitchen
Child Friendly Attributes: It is quite small but has some toys and a blackboard - great for tea/coffee for you and a friend and the kids, but not for a big group. Nice food but a bit exxy.

L

#16 ollies-mum

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Great thread! Thanks!

#17 mama2carysbaileigh

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

bindoon bakehouse
they have a lovely toy kitchen with kitchen utensils and coloured dough for the kids to play with, a blackboard etc.  Also the yummiest cakes!

#18 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Venue: Fired Cafe
Childrens activities: Ceramic painting
Con: Can be expensive.

Venue: Ceramica Cafe
Childrens Activities: Ceramic Painting

Venue: Portofinos
Childrens Activities:  large outdoor fully fenced playground. Free colouring sheets and pencils

Venue: Dome Cafe
Childrens Activities: Enclosed childrens playground.  Free colouring in and pencils.

Venue: Outback Jacks
Childrens Activities: Kid’s rooms are fitted with toys like Playstations, TV’s and Colouring Books.
Kids eat free Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5-7pm.

Venue: The Boat
Childrens Activities: Tuesdays and Thursdays 5.30pm - 8.30pm
Two trained staff members entertain the kids. Activities they can choose from include books & puzzles, Nintendo games, arts, crafts and more.

Have found these websites for dining with kids, but they need some more info
http://www.http://familydaysout.com.au/

http://www.restaurantsforkids.com.au/index.html

Edited by Cathode, 13 September 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#19 Skittie

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

The Chocolate Factory, Swan Valley
Has colouring / activity sheets and pencils for kids
Has large grassed area with bats and balls for the kids to run around and play.

Great chocolate fondue and of course free chocie sampling biggrin.gif

#20 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Venue: Koorong Bookshop / Pages Cafe
Has a childrens enclosed playground.

Venue: Sticky Beaks Playground Cafe
Large playground (not enclosed)

#21 blissfulqueenb

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

What about if it's not an "eatery"?

Austral Bricks at Malaga has a cool little fenced children's playground and toilets that you can use  original.gif

Hey, some days I've been so desperate, I've just PRETENDED to want to look at brick displays (not really)

#22 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

laughing2.gif

#23 ~elle~

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

we went to Brooklands ( southern river/ canning vale area) on Sat night and it was great.. lovely all round and the steak was amazing!!!! DH just had fish and chips- which was also great.

The kids serves were really decent too + icecream and topping included for $9.50 each. They got a colour in placemant / menu / puzzle sheet and they brought over a box of colouing in pencils / textas. The climbing structure was kind of like the ones in HJ's or Maccas. BIG HIT!!!!!
Definately will go back.

#24 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

We went to The Whim Festival on Sunday and ended up having lunch at the Mount Helena Tavern (with the kids). They had a small assortment of kids play stuff, loads of grass - but you would have to watch the younger ones by the creek that runs through the property.

Sunday session they have a bouncy castle for the kids.
Sunday buffet breakfast kids eat free.
Any other day Kids eat free (daily 12 -2 ) -  2 kids per one adult ordering a main meal.  10 years and under.

http://www.mounthelenatavern.com.au/

#25 lori~lee

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Just wanted to add my support for the Eden Hill Bar and Bistro, it really is lovely, we go there once every few weeks. They change the menu like I change my underwear but it's always nice.

There's heaps of playthings... a wallof 5 or 6 arcade-style video games plus a racing game and a skiing game, then a fenced off play area with story books, Barbies, dinosaurs, kitchens, climbing frames, blocks etc, nearly always spotless (depends on the kids who are in there at that time... sometimes there are toys strewn across the floor but you can be certain it was spotless at the beginning of the night)

It's nice food and a nice atmosphere but you're not afraid of your child making a sound if that makes sense, so it's comfortable, you can relax.

The also do a quiz night weds nights (kids welcome) and lunches/morning teas weekdays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.