Found cat
Tortie tabby, not a feral

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#1 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

Well, tonight is the second time a hungry, lonesome, shy-ish but not astoundingly so cat who is sort of blue-dilute tortiseshell has come and stared into our house from the sliding glass on the balcony.

Tonight is the second time I offered snacks and kibble that were greedily consumed, but she also was very excited about plain water, and I realized that she had been drinking out of plant pot saucers on the balcony.

Now she is inside because she took candy from strangers. ohmy.gif

I lured her into the kitchen. She was NOT very impressed when I shut the sliding door behind her, but she has not hissed or growled at me, and allowed me to scratch her head. She shied from my husband's hand but did not growl or hiss.

She has growled at Grue (our kitten) but Grue has been growling at her first, despite the fact she's half her size. There's been no real howling or horror, just some growls and flat ears.

This is not a feral cat. I REALLY hope she's had too many dinners, and is not pregnant. But she has significant tummy.

Both times I've seen her have been at night. It was like eleven-ish tonight. I've never seen her out during the day, she does not just chill in a local yard or something. I did NOT scoop a cat out of someone else's garden.

The RSPCA does not open Sundays locally.

My DH is not very impressed with the concept of stray cats in his kitchen but says I would not be me if I did not care about stray cats. unsure.gif

Not her, but similar colour

Has anyone in Campbelltown lost a tortie tabby? I am calling her, a her, for tonight because I tend to assume all torties are girls but I have not had a look. She is not very skinny but she is very hungry. No collar. Can't check microchip until Monday.

COME GET YOUR CAT. (She's being sweeter than my cat).

Edited by la di dah, 18 September 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#2 dreamingofcats

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:55 AM

Awww pretty. I love the shape of her eyes.

Fingers crossed she isnt pregnant sad.gif

#3 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

Don't have a good picture yet, that's not her. I stole the pic to illustrate her sort of colour. It's like tabby but with touches of rust under the gray.

She is so not a feral cat. She is just a little shy. She has let me give her head-scritches though. And for like within an hour of meeting, that's pretty good. I think she's going to be a friendly girl once she realizes I'm not going to eat her.

#4 Lickety Split

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

She's probably pregnant given her swollen tummy + the time of year. Poor girl.

#5 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

I don't want to drop her if she doesn't have a home, because she's cute but she's not a kitten and the local shelters have a pretty high kill rate.

My husband says if we explain and leave our number they will call us if there's no sign of her people, and let us take her back. Do you think they would or is he spinning stories?

I have never dropped an animal at a shelter before. I feel like a heel. But we're right near a busy road and leaving her to her own devices seems cruel too. sad.gif

My DH just called the rescue we got Grue from for advice, as far as better or worse shelters. I'm sort of hoping we can foster her until a new home if she hasn't got one.

#6 missy78

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

have you thought abut printing out a few A4 size posters and putting them in your neighbours postboxes, or knocking on a few doors?

I had a cat many years ago, who went missing and we found him because a neighbour put up a poster which just had a few identifying characteristics, (no photo) and a number to call.

#7 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (missy78 @ 18/09/2011, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have you thought abut printing out a few A4 size posters and putting them in your neighbours postboxes, or knocking on a few doors?

I had a cat many years ago, who went missing and we found him because a neighbour put up a poster which just had a few identifying characteristics, (no photo) and a number to call.

I don't know where to knock. This is a main road with hundreds of units, and a bunch of the houses across the street are under construction and not lived in.

I will knock on the houses down the block from here. And if we end up holding onto her I will definitely be flier-bombing the neighbourhood.

#B#, will do.

#8 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Update - was allowed to pet, and even pick her up, for a moment. She wasn't thrilled about this but then some cats aren't from even their own people.

Spent the night sleeping quietly under the bed.

Door-knocked the houses on this block. Will try across the street.

Lady I spoke to advised that since she is tame and not a feral, to let her go and she'll go home to her home? But she was so hungry and thirsty and it was late, so I don't know that I want to do that at all, especially with how busy the road out front is.

Was told not to take her to the pound as they euthanize strays? Will take her to the vet to have the chip checked and to ask if anyone's told them to look out for their lost cat.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Most pounds with euthanise fairly quickly if there is no chip. Checking with the vet is a good idea. If the vet has her on record (a chance if she's local), then you ought to be able to track the owner. If there is one, and if they can be bothered.

And no, I wouldn't be letting her wander the streets in the hope she has a home to go to. Bad advice. If she's an escapee indoor-kitty, her owners will be grateful she's safe with you. If she's an outdoor kitty, living on a main street, she's still safer with you.

There is the list of rescue places pinned at the top of this forum. If she doesn't have a home, get in contact with your local organisation, and see what help they can give you to get her health checked, sorted and rehomed safely.

Poor kitty. Lucky kitty.

#10 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Updates no one requested: stray cat let DH give her head scratches, instead of shying from his hand. She even came right over to me for cuddles.

She doesn't try to attack Grue at all, she just doesn't want a rude (Grue was hand-reared and has no idea how cat-manners work) kitten sniffing her unmentionables or bouncing around to fight/play.

She mostly sleeps, and Grue has decided her ball is more fun to play with, so they have not really scuffled. The gray cat air-slapped NEAR Grue once but did not make contact.

#11 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 18/09/2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like she's settled into her new home well then Tounge1.gif

This is not her home! DH has forbidden me from naming her anything, and from even "saying The Gray Cat like its her name, because she has no name, because she is not our cat."

We have to find her people! Or find her a new home.

#12 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Sounds like you've been adopted, to me Tounge1.gif Congrats on your new kitty!  

P.S, we've had Mr Cream for almost a year now, and he still only lets us pick him up for 15 seconds at a time before wriggling down to the ground.  And he sleeps as far as possible from you while still sharing the bed tehe.  Some cats just like their space!

#13 Kittymeow74

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Get in contact with "The cat society" they are in Newtown. They have a no kill policy and have adoption days every weekend where people come to see the cats and adopt.

#14 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

I'm calling the local vets tomorrow to see what a chip-check costs, and also whether anyone has tearfully reported a feline Houdini act.

(I have had indoor-only cats go on adventures and it made me absolutely sick with worry so I can understand how that happens.)

Sunday is not the greatest day to try to do anything.

The neighbours all acted like I was acting if they wanted a cat and basically were politely closing the door going "NO! HAVE A DOG KTHANXBYE!"

She likes it under the bed. I am only worried because she has not, apparently, gone to the bathroom at all. Anywhere.

Pictures will be taken tonight, and posted. I realize no one has said "oh, do show me pictures of this stray cat, because if she has no home I have soooo wanted one..." but I live for the hope. 3forme's Amber did pretty well for herself off this forum, right?

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

Amber did very well, it pays to let EBers know there is a cat looking for a home.  biggrin.gif

#16 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

Pictures are good!! I hope you can find her people but otherwise I think you should consider yourself adopted  ph34r.gif

#17 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have suggested names for her but she is, of course, not my cat to name. "DON'T NAME HER ANYTHING!"

I am not looking forward to stuffing her in a cat carrier to go to the vet, but aside from that she's been really good.

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

So how is Annie-Fing going tonight? wink.gif

#19 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Dozy. Do... do pregnant cats sleep even more than normal cats? I've never had a pregnant cat.

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Awww you should call her Lucky, because she is lucky to be the newest member of your family!

#21 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

I suggested Roswell, because she is a Gray. wink.gif

DH replied "that's not very feminine...hey, stop that!"

#22 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Yes, they do. And they are 'starving' about 90% of the time. I like Rozwell. grin.gif

#23 kerri76

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

you could try calling cat rescue... they might have a foster carer available to look after her and have her desexed etc then rehomed. www.catrescue.com.au

#24 kerri76

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

also, vets don't charge to scan for a micro-chip. Although they might if you book a consultation.

#25 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Roswell is cute!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.